So..how exactly does this work?

KingofMayhem

Hey, newbie here. So this idea: a website where I can duel with custom cards, sounds like a fantastic idea...but I can't seem to find any links to this mysterious website anywhere in the forums, nor can I find it with Google. Can anyone help me out? Is there a link you can give me? Or am I missing something?

Also, is there anything I will need to know in order to operate the interface such as to upload cards? Or is it self-explanatory?

Use it well, use it wisely

https://duel-portal.com/

As for the interface, play a couple games against people. Typically they'll be nice enough to tell you the control scheme... unless no one is on there at that given moment. Most of it is left-clicking the thing and it'll tell you what you can do with it. As for the Deck Editor most of it is self-explanatory. If you have any particular questions feel free to PM me as I know slightly more than your average bear. (I've used it give or take a month).

Also is your name on the Duel-Portal "Mooremayhem" because you might've seen me around if that's the case.

I need to fix the URL for Duel Portal in the header, since that's the OLD one. 

But that being said, this link is also available on first post in the support thread as well; did you check that too?

====

Other than that, Eshai basically explained everything. You use it to test your custom cards against other people, though I do need to note that not all meta-relevant cards are there, AND there are rules pertaining to image usage. 

Basically, just don't use official images from the TCG/OCG or manga, and you'll be okay. Trying to avoid what happened to Dueling Network and YGOPro when NAS got on their cases. 

If you need help with the rules and stuff, you can also ask me since I technically am a DP moderator as well. There are others, but they're on the DP Discord and very rarely show up here. 

So I've gotten into DP and signed up, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to build a Deck. There doesn't seem to be any method on the Deck Editor screen to select cards and place them in a Deck...

Go to the Deck editing page (which I think should be near the game room and profile update thing). 

To add cards, you have to manually find what you want, then left click to add things. Because DP has over 100K cards at this point, yeah, you'll have to filter out what you want. To remove, I think you right-click. Then, you need to give it a name and save stuff.

====

Can't check on PC that I'm using right now. 

Go to the Deck editing page (which I think should be near the game room and profile update thing). 

To add cards, you have to manually find what you want, then left click to add things. Because DP has over 100K cards at this point, yeah, you'll have to filter out what you want. To remove, I think you right-click. Then, you need to give it a name and save stuff.

====

Can't check on PC that I'm using right now. 

Yeah left or right-clicking doesn't work. Aren't the cards supposed to place themselves in the big center area? Well they aren't doing that. That's the problem. I had no trouble finding the Deck editor, my problem was that the game isn't working the way it should.

Edit: Solved that problem, but now I have a new one. I cannot add cards to my Main or Extra Deck, only to my Side Deck, which doesn't do me any good.

It should be the same way. 

To add stuff to Main/Extra, you left-click the card from the search menu.

Side Deck is right click. 

Though, if the above doesn't work, then it could be a bug on your end. I'm not getting this problem (since I'm checking it now on Chromebook), and I do not believe other users are having this issue. 

To be fair, Sea's just the guy who keeps Duel Portal running and all so you likely won't be dueling him. However, there are plenty of other users there who'd be willing to challenge you and all. 

But yeah, just make sure you follow the image policy and don't get into any arguments with other players about card design and stuff. If someone does modify your cards without permission (which has happened in the past), just let me know over PM and they can be restored / responsible party dealt with.

(My name on there is Sakura Haruno if you see me around on DP)

To be fair, Sea's just the guy who keeps Duel Portal running and all so you likely won't be dueling him. However, there are plenty of other users there who'd be willing to challenge you and all. 

But yeah, just make sure you follow the image policy and don't get into any arguments with other players about card design and stuff. If someone does modify your cards without permission (which has happened in the past), just let me know over PM and they can be restored / responsible party dealt with.

(My name on there is Sakura Haruno if you see me around on DP)

Oh I've been keeping all my cards on Private - Shared to avoid that issue. As I understand it on Private - Shared other players/users can look at/use my cards but not edit them.

Also, that's too bad! lol Good for him though, he's doing me and every other user a big favor!

I hope this question doesn't count as thread derailment, but is there a specific forum on here where I can post my new archetype when it's completed? I'd like to have get it reviewed and criticized by the community to make sure its somewhat balanced while also being, ya know, cool and fun to play!

I mean, as much as the bulk of the DP community is on that Discord of theirs, a chunk of members here do use it for testing so would be helpful for Sea to update YCM every now and then. To be fair, the idea was floated here first and originally came from that support thread. 

But yeah, at least you're aware of the issues and stuff. In case you run into some problem users, yeah, just note them so we know who to avoid / punish. 

====

As for last one, it's not derailing since it's more on you trying to figure out how to navigate this place (and really, this section is kinda dead due to the Discord chat existing). 

You really have a few options. Ideally, you could use this section for things intended to function in the DP meta and not ours (which I assume has gotten massively powercrept and all at this time due to the 100K cards up there, and it's hard to tell what's there anymore without massive searching).

Or if you'd like them graded for general balance and stuff, either Casual/Advanced Cards work. Just note that Advanced requires a brief explanation of what you had in mind and all. 

I mean, as much as the bulk of the DP community is on that Discord of theirs, a chunk of members here do use it for testing so would be helpful for Sea to update YCM every now and then. To be fair, the idea was floated here first and originally came from that support thread. 

But yeah, at least you're aware of the issues and stuff. In case you run into some problem users, yeah, just note them so we know who to avoid / punish. 

====

As for last one, it's not derailing since it's more on you trying to figure out how to navigate this place (and really, this section is kinda dead due to the Discord chat existing). 

You really have a few options. Ideally, you could use this section for things intended to function in the DP meta and not ours (which I assume has gotten massively powercrept and all at this time due to the 100K cards up there, and it's hard to tell what's there anymore without massive searching).

Or if you'd like them graded for general balance and stuff, either Casual/Advanced Cards work. Just note that Advanced requires a brief explanation of what you had in mind and all. 

I'm talking about balanced as in for actual gameplay. Like if I was to (hypothetically lol) print out all these cards on card paper and get them laminated so they could pass for Konami-made cards, would their balance hold up to scrutiny as well or would their OP'dness give them away? That sort of balance.

I plan on making my OP of the thread I create to introduce them be really long lol. I'm going post images directly into the post if possible, and have a brief word about each card and its effects as well as Lore, for those who like that stuff. I don't want to give too much away but suffice to say that my archetype focuses on a game mechanic I feel is underused/under appreciated...but with a twist to make it competitive in Advanced Format against "official" decks.

Also, with regards to the card art rules, do those apply only to the art? Can I upload digital versions of real life cards just without their art and maybe replace it with something else like a blank black picture or something?

I'm talking about balanced as in for actual gameplay. Like if I was to (hypothetically lol) print out all these cards on card paper and get them laminated so they could pass for Konami-made cards, would their balance hold up to scrutiny as well or would their OP'dness give them away? That sort of balance.

I plan on making my OP of the thread I create to introduce them be really long lol. I'm going post images directly into the post if possible, and have a brief word about each card and its effects as well as Lore, for those who like that stuff. I don't want to give too much away but suffice to say that my archetype focuses on a game mechanic I feel is underused/under appreciated...but with a twist to make it competitive in Advanced Format against "official" decks.

Also, with regards to the card art rules, do those apply only to the art? Can I upload digital versions of real life cards just without their art and maybe replace it with something else like a blank black picture or something?

1. Yeah, then you should use Advanced (Multiples). Though a general sidenote that a lot of the reviewers can have their own degree of bias pertaining to particular designs, so...be cautious about it. 

At the bare minimum, a general summary of the set as a whole will suffice (30+ words); no need to explain every single card or go into long details that'd be better suited for lab reports. And yeah, spoiler tagging might help. 

2. You can upload blanks or just make a version of the artwork that won't show up on Google Images, or something that won't get lumped in as similar. Main thing is just don't use the actual card pics from the game, because that got NAS (Nihon Ad Systems; the company responsible for the anime) on Dueling Network / YGOPro's case and got them either shut down or the download removed from the site. 

So yeah, either recreate the art with another program, recolor/alter it so Google Search doesn't sweep it up as similar or you can put proxy images; provided they're PG-13 in nature (I'd say PG-17 because all of YCM is at this level, but some of the DP mods have a lower tolerance level). Just don't use inappropriate pics as filler.

Granted, there are other things that DP still does that technically violate the C/D order (from what someone managed to translate from Japanese), but idea is to minimize any chances of DP being shut down. It's not perfect, but that's the general rule until something happens. 

1. Yeah, then you should use Advanced (Multiples). Though a general sidenote that a lot of the reviewers can have their own degree of bias pertaining to particular designs, so...be cautious about it. 

At the bare minimum, a general summary of the set as a whole will suffice (30+ words); no need to explain every single card or go into long details that'd be better suited for lab reports. And yeah, spoiler tagging might help. 

2. You can upload blanks or just make a version of the artwork that won't show up on Google Images, or something that won't get lumped in as similar. Main thing is just don't use the actual card pics from the game, because that got NAS (Nihon Ad Systems; the company responsible for the anime) on Dueling Network / YGOPro's case and got them either shut down or the download removed from the site. 

So yeah, either recreate the art with another program, recolor/alter it so Google Search doesn't sweep it up as similar or you can put proxy images; provided they're PG-13 in nature (I'd say PG-17 because all of YCM is at this level, but some of the DP mods have a lower tolerance level). Just don't use inappropriate pics as filler.

Granted, there are other things that DP still does that technically violate the C/D order (from what someone managed to translate from Japanese), but idea is to minimize any chances of DP being shut down. It's not perfect, but that's the general rule until something happens. 

Lab reports? Are you being sarcastic or is there actually a "Lab Report" thread/forum on here? Because if that is true I'd like to post them there instead! XD

Lab reports? Are you being sarcastic or is there actually a "Lab Report" thread/forum on here? Because if that is true I'd like to post them there instead! XD

Tbh that's what Advanced Multiples is to Casual Multiples now. Happy to give your cards a look if you post them there.

I'm just saying that I'd rather not have you write something comparable to a lab report / essay just to explain how your stuff works, or force you to write that much. If I required everyone to write essays in Advanced, Custom Cards would be dead and people would be complaining that it's impossible. 

But yeah, just condense whatever you need to, as to put less work on the notes than you actually need. 

I'm just saying that I'd rather not have you write something comparable to a lab report / essay just to explain how your stuff works, or force you to write that much. If I required everyone to write essays in Advanced, Custom Cards would be dead and people would be complaining that it's impossible. 

But yeah, just condense whatever you need to, as to put less work on the notes than you actually need. 

Ok I understand. Just know that I'm HAPPY to write a bunch of info. I LOVE writing! I LOVE explaining/talking about things that I made! I'm not so much being forced to write so much stuff as much as I WANT to write so much stuff to explain my ideas in detail. I've been working hours and hours every day for the past week building and fine-tuning this archetype, trying to perfect it. So writing an essay's worth of info about the cards I've poured so much time and creative energy into creating is a PRIVILEGE as far as I'm concerned!

Basically I'm asking for permission to write as much stuff about the cards as I want to, as long as I use spoiler tags right? ;)

Ok I understand. Just know that I'm HAPPY to write a bunch of info. I LOVE writing! I LOVE explaining/talking about things that I made! I'm not so much being forced to write so much stuff as much as I WANT to write so much stuff to explain my ideas in detail. I've been working hours and hours every day for the past week building and fine-tuning this archetype, trying to perfect it. So writing an essay's worth of info about the cards I've poured so much time and creative energy into creating is a PRIVILEGE as far as I'm concerned!

Basically I'm asking for permission to write as much stuff about the cards as I want to, as long as I use spoiler tags right? ;)

There's no posting or writing limit. Hey, you don't really even have to use spoilers; it's just a discouragement for people to see a wall of text. Knock yourself out :P

Yeah, confirming that there is no max word limit (outside the 60K character thing that's in the forum code and out of my hands) and you can write those essays if you want. I just advise against it or recommend spoilers because some members here believe that you should be able to convey intent through your cards without having to explain. 

If you post in this section, then yeah, no notes are required. Most you might have to do is tag threads, but as far as I'm concerned right now, you generally don't unless it's a custom format or something.

Yeah, confirming that there is no max word limit (outside the 60K character thing that's in the forum code and out of my hands) and you can write those essays if you want. I just advise against it or recommend spoilers because some members here believe that you should be able to convey intent through your cards without having to explain. 

If you post in this section, then yeah, no notes are required. Most you might have to do is tag threads, but as far as I'm concerned right now, you generally don't unless it's a custom format or something.

Well I'm not saying my Synopsis on each card is going to be super long, I'll likely just be noting things about my inspiration for the card if I think its applicable and talking about what other cards in the archetype it combos with the best and so on. Most of the writing will be in the Lore section of the cards (which I will try to lock behind spoilers if the forum allows for spoilers within spoilers) as there is a complex backstory to this archetype, unlike some others that I also have in mind to make after this one.

Archived