Quick ruling question regarding Felgrand/Arkbrave

what happans if arkbrave or felgrand is summon mid chain but is then sent to the grave during the resolution of that chain.

do they get to activate their on summon effects since they successfully hit the field even though its no longer on the field or does it miss timing in spite of being If effects?

had this come up when 2 light and darkness dragons got blown up at the same time causing 1 to summon arkbrave just for it to immediately blown up by the second LDD.

Edit: after looking for some time for clarification in different card rulings, i've come to the conclusion that, unless specifically stated otherwise in a cards text, an if summoned effect can activate regardless of whether the card remains on the field or not, so long as it was properly and successfully summon and not returned to the deck. If anyone finds anything to suggest otherwise, let me know, but i'm going to move on from this under the above assumption.

When an effect says "If", there is no timing. IF the conditions for said effect happen, the effect happens. Now if an effect says "When" or when an effect can happen, then timing becomes an issue. 

For example:

When you take Battle Damage: Draw 5 cards from your Deck.

This effect happens WHEN the Battle Damage occurs.

If you take Battle Damage: Draw 5 cards from your Deck.

This effect happens IF the Battle Damage occurs.

Hope this helps.

i understand the difference between if and when effects but im just not sure if on summon effects require the monster to remain on the field to properly activate and resolve. basically, does the fact the card is not on the field matter in regards to its on summon effect if both the successful summoning of the card and its removal occur before the effect has a chance to activate.

On 12/4/2019 at 3:18 PM, justduelist said:

what happans if arkbrave or felgrand is summon mid chain but is then sent to the grave during the resolution of that chain.

do they get to activate their on summon effects since they successfully hit the field even though its no longer on the field or does it miss timing in spite of being If effects?

had this come up when 2 light and darkness dragons got blown up at the same time causing 1 to summon arkbrave just for it to immediately blown up by the second LDD.

Edit: after looking for some time for clarification in different card rulings, i've come to the conclusion that, unless specifically stated otherwise in a cards text, an if summoned effect can activate regardless of whether the card remains on the field or not, so long as it was properly and successfully summon and not returned to the deck. If anyone finds anything to suggest otherwise, let me know, but i'm going to move on from this under the above assumption.

As far as I know, you should be able to activate the on summon effect of a monster that is no longer on the field by the time they start the activation. I remember something about differences between OCG and TCG about that specific rule and in TCG, they do activate.

As for the last sentence, you are correct for the most part. Unless the card says that needs to be face up to activate and resolve, getting out of the field wont prevent from activating the effect.

As for being returned to the deck, felgrand (to give it more context) will still activate because effects resolve were they activate, it will activate on the field and resolve on the field (even if felgrand is gone), you are confusing things here with cards that activate their effects when leave the field, those kind of effects activate on the place they end when leaving (hand, GY, banish, or extra deck). As a final note, being returned to the deck is considered leaviing the field, it just that effects cannot be activated from the main deck.

oh i didn't know that on summon effects still activate on the field regardless of where the monster actually is when it activates. anyways thanks for the help. i'm kinda curious what the difference between ocg and tcg is in is regard but i'll be moving forward with the assumption that the activation is all good.

Oh man, my brother still uses that Dragon Lord deck sometimes, but I actually couldn't remember the rulings.

Under normal cases, what Dragulas said is true. For Felgrand specifically, I couldn't remember if the ATK boost part of its effect was tied to the banish effect. If both effects were tied, then moving Felgrand would cause the effect to fizzle.

Fortunately, Felgrand is a "normal case", so... yeah, just follow what Drag said! 😆

Archived