Card (Effect) Text Help/Guidance/Approval needed.

Dramatic Crossroad

Question

Hello, i have written a pretty convoluted text for one of my cards (as I wanted the text to be visible/readable and not squished over 10 lines).
(The monster can gain 2 different effects, depending if it is Normal/Special Summoned or both if it is Flip Summoned). Normally, if following all the established problem-solving text rules, it would be a wall of text and something like this:
 "When this card is Normal Summoned; Effect(1). When this card is Special Summoned; Effect(2). When this card is Flip Summoned; Effect(1+2)." 

I have decided to go a different route, will it be considered a crime or poor taste, if such effect is put on a card?

"When Summoned, this card gains the corresponding effect depending on the Summoning Method used (If Flip Summoned, it gains both effects instead):

• Normal Summon: ...effect...
  • Special Summon: ...effect..."

6 answers to this question

While there is no precedent for writing it like that specifically (as far as I know), listing it out does follow certain conventions, so it's perfectly fine.

As long as you use yugioh terminology and it's understood what your card does, most peeps here won't really care a ton if the grammar is bent a bit. That said, since you asked, I figured I'd help clean the text a little:

8 hours ago, Dramatic Crossroad said:

If this card is Summoned: Apply the appropriate effect based on how it is Summoned. (If Flip Summoned: gain both effects instead).

- Normal Summon: ...effect...

- Special Summon: ...effect ...

I find your route quite interesting, as I'm the kind of person who often gives the cards too many effects and/or require complex or long wordings. As such, I'm enthusiast of new, more abbreviated methods to condensate stuff, so, even though I'm not that knowledgeable of ocg/psct, I feel your method is quite viable and useful. Personally, I'd change the "When Summoned" for "If this card is Summoned" since it allows you to bypass the annoying "miss the timing stuff", but other than that, it looks good.

EDIT: Whoops, Redro already mentioned the change I suggested while I was writing. I was too late, haha 🙂

Archived