Questions regarding Tokens.

Rayfield Lumina

Question

Konnichiwa, dear community, I have some questions regarding Tokens, effects and game mechanics. Help is much appreciated.

1) Is there a card in existence that has the effect of creating a Token that have an effect?

2) Is there a card which has an effect that could confer a Token with an effect?

3) Can a Token be moved to the Spell/Trap Zone, like, for instance, an Equip Spell due to another card's effect?

4) I'm aware that Tokens can only exist on the field, but what does exactly happen to them when they leave the field WHEN they're NOT destroyed by battle/card effect? In other words, if a Token were to leave the field because it is returned to the hand or banished, it will stop existing, but does this counts as "destroyed" due to game mechanics, or they simply stop existing because they cannot be outside the field? I'm concerned about this because whether being destroyed or not will determine the triggering of other card's effects that activate when Tokens are destroyed.

Thanks in advance 🙂

10 answers to this question

On 2/19/2020 at 6:01 PM, Redro said:

It's funny you're asking this because I've been making a lot of cards off-site that have been pushing the limits of token mechanics. I'll take the questions one by one:

1. As far as I know, no. Mechanically, tokens are always Normal monsters. Any effects that would occur because of the token (i.e. "If the token is destroyed, the opponent takes 500 damage") is usually from the card that summons the token and not the token itself.
  2. Again, as far as I know, no. However, mechanically, this is completely possible.
  3. I wasn't sure about this one. According to Rulings on the Monster Token page, there is an implication that Tokens can be placed in the Spell/Trap Zone by Relinquished, so yes they can.
  4. They are treated as being "removed from the field". They are not considered destroyed, so cards that work on destruction will not trigger.

Just an extra tidbit to keep in mind:

• Tokens cannot be sent to an off-field location as part of a cost, but they can by an effect. You can see the difference in the Chimeratech Fortress Dragon vs. Dark End Dragon Rulings on the linked page.

Cheers!

Card Concept:

Clone Ninja

Level 4 / EARTH

Warrior / Effect

Once Per Turn; Send this card to the Spell/Trap Zone: This card becomes a Continuous Spell card. When this card is a Continuous Spell, Once Per Turn: Special Summon 1 "Clone" Token (Level 4 EARTH Warrior 1300 / 1300). If this card is a Continuous Spell: This card can only be sent to the GY When there are no "Clone token"s on your field.

1300 / 1300 

1 hour ago, Yami Kiniko said:

Card Concept:

Clone Ninja

Level 4 / EARTH

Warrior / Effect

Once Per Turn; Send this card to the Spell/Trap Zone: This card becomes a Continuous Spell card. When this card is a Continuous Spell, Once Per Turn: Special Summon 1 "Clone" Token (Level 4 EARTH Warrior 1300 / 1300). If this card is a Continuous Spell: This card can only be sent to the GY When there are no "Clone token"s on your field.

1300 / 1300 

I understand that you're excited to make cards based on the topic, but please refrain from posting the card in another person's question thread. Please just make a new thread next time.

It's funny you're asking this because I've been making a lot of cards off-site that have been pushing the limits of token mechanics. I'll take the questions one by one:

1. As far as I know, no. Mechanically, tokens are always Normal monsters. Any effects that would occur because of the token (i.e. "If the token is destroyed, the opponent takes 500 damage") is usually from the card that summons the token and not the token itself.
  2. Again, as far as I know, no. However, mechanically, this is completely possible.
  3. I wasn't sure about this one. According to Rulings on the Monster Token page, there is an implication that Tokens can be placed in the Spell/Trap Zone by Relinquished, so yes they can.
  4. They are treated as being "removed from the field". They are not considered destroyed, so cards that work on destruction will not trigger.

• Tokens cannot be sent to an off-field location as part of a cost, but they can by an effect. You can see the difference in the Chimeratech Fortress Dragon vs. Dark End Dragon Rulings on the linked page.

Cheers!

Thanks a lot for the thorough explanations! This should let me proceed with some ideas of mine, the possibility of having Tokens with effects sounds delightful. The 3rd question, you might remember, was due of a persistent doubt I had about a card of mine, Seven Colored Puppeteer - Alice Margatroid.

14 minutes ago, Redro said:

Ah, thanks for the extra info too. But another doubts arose. I understand that the Token cannot be used as cost in the example because the conditions for the cost to be paid are clearly stated to be send something from field and they have to reach the GY, but what about Tribute effects? Tribute=cost, but I think Tokens can be used for tribute cost since when a tribute is performed, it's never specified that the payment has to be sent to the GY. Am I correct?

You mean like Tributing 3 Scapegoats for Obelisk? I believe you can offer Tokens as Tributes as long as the card that summons them doesn't say otherwise. (Card > Rules) So yeah, Tributes as far as I know are a fair Token mechanic.

I actually wanted to build a Token-based deck but I realize that I wouldn't have any monsters in it and I'd need a way to bypass piercing damage.

4 hours ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

You mean like Tributing 3 Scapegoats for Obelisk? I believe you can offer Tokens as Tributes as long as the card that summons them doesn't say otherwise. (Card > Rules) So yeah, Tributes as far as I know are a fair Token mechanic.

I actually wanted to build a Token-based deck but I realize that I wouldn't have any monsters in it and I'd need a way to bypass piercing damage.

4 hours ago, Redro said:

Yup. Tributing doesn't inherently mean sent to grave, it's just a specific method of leaving the field.

Got it! Thanks to both.

4 hours ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

It's funny you used Scapegoat tokens (specifically) as an example since Scapegoat tokens can't actually be tributed for Tribute summons.

6 minutes ago, Redro said:

It's funny you used Scapegoat tokens (specifically) as an example since Scapegoat tokens can't actually be tributed for Tribute summons.

That is a valid point now that I think about it. Must be that I've seen them tributed for many other purposes that that didn't cross my mind.

Archived