What are your thoughts on Rush Duels so far?

I see updates to the cards in small chunks but nobody is really compiling them as we get new ones to get the big picture, and I've seen a few posts hinting at people being a little annoyed by how underpowered the overall project seems to be compared to what the game is used to, but nobody I've seen really goes beyond a quick line.... maybe that's all there is to say so far? IDK but just in case I'm curious to hear...

As for me, I think I see what they are going for.

While there are players over the years I've seen that are like "I was introduced to the game with this meta game and learned it just fine!", I don't think that's the average. I've had a couple instances of people having trouble getting the position and battle outcome specifics. One person comes to mind that kept "tapping" cards and putting backrow in defense position without knowing why despite explanations... Goat Control's pace was apparently hard enough to grasp. Then we have stuff like the Extra Link boards of a few years ago that'd average on 22 to 30 Summons in a turn and end with co-linked stacks of effects, or the Pendulum boards with like 4 negate bosses from different Summon mechanics of the game....

Some of the cards are honestly weaker effects than stuff we had in the first ever products like Fairy Meteor Crush or Reinforcements. It also seems to be using the 5 star vanilla stats of the starter decks, but omitting the outclassing ones like The Judge and Summoned Skull... it's more like Rude Kaiser stuff. I am fine with that and the amount of vanillas introduced so long as the gameplay (weak as it might be) can offer something interesting within its limitations. Right now they seem to be using a wider variety of Attributes than the original vanilla pools offered and Level 3s and Level 4s from both sides seem to not be too far off from each other on both sides of the decks. 

So far 7 Roads Magician seems to be tailored for the simplistic landscape. The way Tribute Summon is easier to achieve by Rush Duels is an excuse to get more monsters of different Attributes in the GY for its effect, or if you no longer need to worry about setting that up, the Magician Girl for him is better late game to land 2 monsters with good stats (for the format at least) at less card usage. I still really reall dislike his art but that's another matter... xD

Decking out by doing bigger plays seems like a pretty big possibility but in practice it might not succeed at being a real stress factor for gameplay. I think it is easy to lowball the design and end up making it somewhat irrelevant for most matches but we'll see.

I like how it is new card frames and arts and all. I think Duel Links IRL suffers from making the players buy the same often old, cheap, and already inexpensive cards they already own in order to play with them, and Skill Cards don't feel complete to me. It's like a brainstormed prototype. They needed something else to the way they function to really flesh out into their own thing and potentially they could have even become playable in the regular game without jeopardizing the balance. Yugioh struggles a lot trying to get alternate casual formats going. Deck-building during sneak peeks is often off limits because Yugioh supports a lot more legacy content than most other games that are just like "here's the cards playable of the last year or two and don't worry about anything older so we can do X and Y to the sets". They also tried the Battle Pack and on BP3 they even were a sort of Speed Duel prototype with the random "stats support is now universal support for the purpose of this"... but it requiring the constant mental conversion never stopped feeling wrong...

Even caveman Yugioh from 2002 has a couple builds that can offer some strategy so I don't really dislike the approach but I can see how players would have a hard time digesting it after contrasting it with current IRL game or even to duel links.

Sooo anyways, thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the thing a lot of people forget when analysing Rush Duel power level is that the cards are weak because the rules themselves are utterly broken. Draw up to 5 every turn and infinite Normal Summons is bananas. The infinite Normal Summons means we will probably never get a few things players take for granted in modern Yugioh. For example Monsters that search on Summon (i.e. "Stratoses").

Those rules seems PERFECT for a 'kid-friendly" Yugioh. I remember playing with similar "rules" myself back when it was just a school playground fad and nobody knew how to play.

Personally I'm cautiously excited. I am looking forward to playing it on simulators but I don't expect it to be anything but a few casual games now and again, and probably won't get into it IRL if it comes to the TCG. Thinking ahead a few years, I do wonder whether they will continue Rush Duels after the Sevens anime is finished, presuming it uses the same 3-ish year long series that past generations have, and that it hasn't just flopped by then.

I hope they expand on the Type and Attribute focused support, along with support for specific Levels and stuff. Hopefully even those Types that are criminally undersupported in normal Yugioh like Pyro and Reptile receive some support. Obviously Dragons and Spellcasters are the focus currently because they're just main character starter decks.

On 3/9/2020 at 8:35 PM, goodfusion said:

[...] I remember playing with similar "rules" myself back when it was just a school playground fad and nobody knew how to play. [...]

Same, although we did it for a while to not end up in grind games and since everyone was avoiding using "unfair" cards like bottomless trap hole the power level was a lot lower.

Thus far Rush duels seem alright, given the absurd draw mechanics we will propably not see flashy things ... (remembers the extra deck location for rush duels is already set) ... alright time to see if they spam the same extra deck mechanics (5ds, zexal and somewhat vrains), pretend the extra deck is almost empty (original series) or have diversity of the very basic summon mechanics (no accel synchro, rank up etc) similar to Arc V (which is still my favourite series for that reason).

Archived