Master Rule: April 1st 2020 Revision – Revisions

You didn’t actually think that we’d get a new Master Rule with just Extra Deck changes right?

The following will take effect in the OCG starting on April 1st 2020.

Regarding the Activation of Monster Effects for Monsters Returned to the Deck or the Extra Deck Face-Down
-Unless it is specifically referenced in the text, monsters that are returned to the Deck and the Extra Deck face-down cannot activate their effects (this includes mandatory effects).
Example of Old Way of Resolving: If “Elemental HERO Absolute Zero” is returned to the Extra Deck by “Compulsory Evacuation Device”, its effect to destroy all monsters your opponent controls will activate.
Example of New Way of Resolving: If “Elemental HERO Absolute Zero” is returned to the Extra Deck by “Compulsory Evacuation Device”, its effect to destroy all monsters your opponent controls will not activate.

Regarding the Activation of Card Effects that Move Away from Their Activation Location Before Their Effects Activated
-In card texts, cards refer to their effect activation requirement as well as their effect activation location. (For example, if it is an effect that activates when the monster itself is Normal Summoned, it activates on the field, if it is a Trap Card whose effect is activated if it is sent to the GY, it activates in the GY.) If a card moves location from its activation location to a different location before its effect activated, its effect cannot be activated (including mandatory effects).
Example of Old Way of Resolving: “Sangan” is Tributed to activate “Crush Card Virus”, and “D.D. Crow” is activated in a Chain to banish the “Sangan” from the GY. “Sangan” activates its effect after this chain is done resolving. (In this case, “Sangan” is treated as activating its effect in the GY.)
Example of New Way of Resolving: “Sangan” is Tributed to activate “Crush Card Virus”, and “D.D. Crow” is activated in a Chain to banish the “Sangan” from the GY. “Sangan” does not activate its effect after the Chain is done resolving.

Regarding the Normal or Special Summoning of a Monster in Relations to Card Effects that Mention “During the turn you activate this card/effect”
-Some cards will have text such as “During the turn you activate this effect, you cannot Special Summon monsters, except [blank] monsters” or “During the turn you activate this card, you cannot Summon monsters, except with this card’s effect”, which have activation requirements for whether or not you Summoned certain monsters during the turn. Cards with this text will now check whether or not the Summoning of the monster described in the text was successful for their activation requirements.
Example of Old Way of Resolving: You cannot activate “Rage with Eyes of Blue” during the turn the Normal Summon of your “Maiden with Eyes of Blue” was negated by “Solemn Judgment”.
Example of New Way of Resolving: You can activate “Rage with Eyes of Blue” during the turn the Normal Summon of your “Maiden with Eyes of Blue” was negated by “Solemn Judgment”.

Regarding the Special Summoning of Monsters that Mention They “Can only be Special Summoned once per turn”
-Certain cards have the text “You can only Special Summon [blank] once per turn” which means that you can only Special Summon card(s) with that name 1 time during this entire turn. Cards with this text will now only count the Summoning if the Summoning of a monster with that name was successful during the turn.
Example of Old Way of Resolving: If your “Hi-Speedroid Chanbara” Synchro Summon was negated by “Solemn Judgment” during this turn, you cannot try to Synchro Summon “Hi-Speedroid Chanbara” or try to use any other type of card effects to Special Summon it for the rest of the turn.
Example of New Way of Resolving: If your “Hi-Speedroid Chanbara” Synchro Summon was negated by “Solemn Judgment” during this turn, you can Synchro Summon “Hi-Speedroid Chanbara” or try to use any other type of card effects to Special Summon it for the rest of the turn.

Regarding Continuous Trap Cards that Special Summons Themselves to the Monster Zone by Their Own Effects
-Continuous Trap Cards such as “Embodiment of Apophis” which has the effect “Special Summon this card as a Normal Monster (Reptile-Type/EARTH/Level 4/ATK 1600/DEF 1800). (This card is also still a Trap Card.)” that can Special Summon themselves to the Monster Zone will now free up the Spell & Trap Zone they were placed in before.
Example of Old Way of Resolving: You have 5 cards Set in your Spell & Trap Zone, you activate 1 of them, which is “Embodiment of Apophis” and Special Summons it to the Monster Zone. The Spell & Trap Zone that “Embodiment of Apophis” was in before cannot be used, so you cannot Set a new card in your Spell & Trap Zones.
Example of New Way of Resolving: You have 5 cards Set in your Spell & Trap Zone, you activate 1 of them, which is “Embodiment of Apophis” and Special Summons it to the Monster Zone. Because the card of “Embodiment of Apophis”is now in the Monster Zone, the Spell & Trap Zone it was in before is now empty and available for use, therefore you can Set a new Spell/Trap Card into the Spell & Trap Zone it was in before.

Source:

https://ygorganization.com/whyarentyoubuyingddcrowsrightnow/

https://www.yugioh-card.com/japan/notice/revision/#processing

Whoa, these are quite interesting.

I was actually looking up that first ruling the other day.  I knew that stuff going to Deck wouldn't trigger unless specified, but I wasn't sure if field > extra deck triggers were allowed.  *does quick lookup* I think there's 8 total monsters this ruling affects, including 2 banned ones...

That second ruling looks like it's gonna be the most relevant one.  I'm curious... does that mean that if you remove a monster from the field then it cannot activate its on-summon effect?  I doubt it, but that could get crazy if it got ruled that way!

That new Trap-Monster ruling that frees up the zone makes me hope that we'll get some new ridiculous Trap-Monster archetype.

1 hour ago, Redro said:

Whoa, these are quite interesting.

I was actually looking up that first ruling the other day.  I knew that stuff going to Deck wouldn't trigger unless specified, but I wasn't sure if field > extra deck triggers were allowed.  *does quick lookup* I think there's 8 total monsters this ruling affects, including 2 banned ones...

That second ruling looks like it's gonna be the most relevant one.  I'm curious... does that mean that if you remove a monster from the field then it cannot activate its on-summon effect?  I doubt it, but that could get crazy if it got ruled that way!

That new Trap-Monster ruling that frees up the zone makes me hope that we'll get some new ridiculous Trap-Monster archetype.

Yes it would affect on Summon effects as well, as those activate on the field, so with these new rules, if they are no longer on the field, they will not be able to activate, so Dark Hole + Call of the Haunted + Elemental HERO Shadow Mist would mean you don't get to use its on Summon effect, though you would be able to use its other effect.

As for Trap monsters, I am glad this isn't going to be confusing anymore, since Pseudo-Trap monsters were already like this, though it also means that there is less importance in differences to them, but I guess that being a Trap is still somewhat relevant.

The most important question I have here: Does MST negate now? xD
If you chain MST to a Monster Reborn to remove it from its activation location, it goes away, right?

- - -

All in all, it sounds like they are nerfing "negate" effects by allowing hard OPT clauses to retry against them, while other kinds of removal can still get results against more stuff in the game, effectively catching up. Especially the Traps we've gotten that shuffle monsters into the Deck, that they now can act as effect disruptors, not by negating but by screwing with the proper resolution of their targets.

D.D. Crow is a little closer to Called by the Grave now, and is more searchable. Also, something like Snow Rabbit against a Stratos seems to hurt more now.

I find this pretty interesting all in all.

9 hours ago, Sleepy said:

The most important question I have here: Does MST negate now? xD
If you chain MST to a Monster Reborn to remove it from its activation location, it goes away, right?

- - -

All in all, it sounds like they are nerfing "negate" effects by allowing hard OPT clauses to retry against them, while other kinds of removal can still get results against more stuff in the game, effectively catching up. Especially the Traps we've gotten that shuffle monsters into the Deck, that they now can act as effect disruptors, not by negating but by screwing with the proper resolution of their targets.

D.D. Crow is a little closer to Called by the Grave now, and is more searchable. Also, something like Snow Rabbit against a Stratos seems to hurt more now.

I find this pretty interesting all in all.

Not entirely sure if you are serious here, with the MST negates joke, but just in case, I will explain.

So, you are confused on what is going on here, using MST on Monster Reborn would do nothing different than it does now, Monster Reborn would still resolve as normal, as this change has nothing do with removing cards that have already activated their effects, rather it has to do with cards that have not yet activated their effects, but their timing has been met; see the example I gave with Shadow Mist earlier. Think about it this way, if Rescue Rabbit were to banish itself, that would mean it was not longer on the field, though of course we know that it would still resolve, as it activated its effect. Removing a card does not automatically mean you stop the card from resolving its effect.

6 hours ago, Zaziuma said:

Not entirely sure if you are serious here, with the MST negates joke, but just in case, I will explain.

So, you are confused on what is going on here, using MST on Monster Reborn would do nothing different than it does now, Monster Reborn would still resolve as normal, as this change has nothing do with removing cards that have already activated their effects, rather it has to do with cards that have not yet activated their effects, but their timing has been met; see the example I gave with Shadow Mist earlier. Think about it this way, if Rescue Rabbit were to banish itself, that would mean it was not longer on the field, though of course we know that it would still resolve, as it activated its effect. Removing a card does not automatically mean you stop the card from resolving its effect.

Had watched a vid from cimo explaining it a bit so knew it wasn't the case, but wasn't entirely sure when I first read the article. Was under the impresion this was a broader change they wanted to push for some reason.... but ended up being on a much more specific ruling that the TCG was apparently already abiding by and the OCG just followed suit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived