Volcanic Support [Written]

Thomas★Zero

Volcanic Cat
lv 4 FIRE
Pyro/Effect
If you control no monsters or only Pyro monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can only Special Summon "Volcanic Cat" once per turn this way. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Add 1 "Volcanic" card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Volcanic Cat" once per turn.
ATK/1400 DEF/500

Volcanic Exploder
lv 4 FIRE
Pyro/Effect
If this card is sent to the GY: Inflict 500 points of damage to your opponent. If this card is sent to the GY by the effect of a "Blaze Accelerator" Card: You can send 2 "Volcanic Exploder" from your hand and/or Deck to the GY; destroy all Spell/Trap cards your opponent controls. If you control a Pyro Xyz monster while this card is in your GY: You can attach this card to 1 Pyro Xyz monster you control as Xyz Material. You can only use this effect of "Volcanic Exploder" once per turn.
ATK/1500 DEF/500

Volcanic Dragon
Rank 4 FIRE
Pyro/Xyz/Effect
2 Level 4 FIRE Pyro Monsters
Cannot be destroyed by card effects. At the start of the damage step, if this card battles an opponents monster with greater ATK than this card: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; this card gains ATK equal to the original ATK of the monster it battles during damage calculation only. If this card destroys a monster by battle, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the destroyed monsters Level/Rank/Link Rating x 400.
ATK/3000 DEF/2500

Volcanic Wyvern
FIRE
Link: DR, R
Pyro/Link/Effect
2 "Volcanic" monsters
If this card is Link Summoned: You can target up to 4 "Volcanic" Cards and/or "Blaze Accelerator" Cards in your GY; shuffle the targeted cards into the Deck, then, draw 2 cards. If a "Volcanic" monster is summoned to a zone this card points to: inflict 1000 points of damage to your opponent. You can only use each effect of "Volcanic Wyvern" once per turn.
ATK/2000 LINK-2

Power Blaze Accelerator
Continuous Spell Card
This cards name becomes "Tri-Blaze Accelerator" while in the Spell & Trap Card Zone. You can only use the following effects of "Power Blaze Accelerator" once per turn.
* You can send 1 "Volcanic" monster from your Deck to the GY; all "Volcanic" monsters you control gain 500 ATK until the End Phase this turn.
* If this card is sent from the field to the GY: Add 1 "Blaze Accelerator" card from your Deck to your hand except "Power Blaze Accelerator".

Volcanic Blazing Eruption
Spell Card
Special Summon 1 "Volcanic" monster from your hand or GY, then, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the summoned monsters Level/Rank/Link Rating x 200. You can only activate "Volcanic Blazing Eruption" once per turn.

Volcanic Guard
Trap Card
If your opponents monster attacks while you control a "Volcanic" monster, you can activate this card from your hand. Special Summon this card as a Normal Monster (Pyro-Type/FIRE/Level 4/ATK 0/DEF 2000) in Defense Position. (This is NOT treated as a Trap card.) If summoned this way, this card cannot be destroyed by battle and your opponent cannot target Pyro monsters for attacks, except this one. You can only activate 1 "Volcanic Guard" per turn.

Volcanic Destruction
Counter Trap Card
Activate this card if your opponent activates a card or effect while you control a "Volcanic" monster. Tribute 1 "Volcanic" monster from your hand or field; negate the activation of that card and destroy it, then, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the original ATK of the tributed monster. You can only activate 1 "Volcanic Destruction" per turn.

Cat: A self-Summoning omni-Stratos for the archetype. It's amazing of course, but too blatant.

Exploder: Spell/Trap nuke counterpart for Scattershot. Looks fine to me, gives a way for Volcanics to stand against backrow decks.

Dragon: ATK is way too high for a semi-generic Rank4. Then again, a high ATK means it won't apply its ATK-boosting effect as often, hmm. Should be fine I guess. Other than that, looks like a good game finisher. The burn of the last effect may be a bit too high though, I shudder at the mere idea of taking 1600 damage from this guy destroying one of my Level4s. Maybe make it x200 to be safe.

Wyvern: Not a fan of spinning Volcanic cards into the Deck, that should be left to Firestorm Guards and the now unlimited Pot of Avarice. Spinning Blaze Accelerator cards is cool though, so that can stay and keep the draw power this card provides, but then it's more fair to make it draw only 1 card. 2 cards is  pushing it just because you can.

Power Blaze Accelerator: Mixed feeling towards this. Its on-field effect does what the float effect of Reload does, and this is more proactive and doesn't need to be sent to the GY like Reload does for the mill, but at the same time it's covering what Reload cannot do, and vice-versa. The second effect is more of icing on cake and goes with the dual-effect trait of Reload. I would say Volcanics want this card more than anything else in this set. heck, I dare say this card alone is enough to take Volcanics into a higher level.

Blazing Eruption: An archetype Reborn with an extra burn effect thrown in. Rather simple but still good. Plus it's searchable by Cat, that's the only edge it has over Monster Reborn and maybe Soul Charge.

Volcanic Guard: Not so useful. It's fine if it exists but I cannot picture Volcanic deck bothering with playing this.

Destruction: An archetype omni-Counter, Trap, what a surprise. It's only good because Cat can search it, otherwise it's no better than a Solemn Counter.

Overall, Power Blaze Accelerator is the MVP, you could have posted it alone and it would have been great support for Volcanics already. Exploder is nice at least as a side or meta call card, and Wyvern is a solid source of card advantage as long as it draws only 1 card. Dragon feels a bit overkill-ish but I don't consider as wrong to have a game finisher like it. Destruction and Blazing Eruption are mostly good because of Cat, but IMO Cat shouldn't be as flexible.

The only card that I feel really awkward about is Wyvern.  You've added some, but on the whole, Volcanics have 0 spam potential.  It'd be much more usable as a Link 1 (and then maybe follow that with a shuffle 3 draw 1 instead of 4 > 2).

8 hours ago, Redro said:

The only card that I feel really awkward about is Wyvern.  You've added some, but on the whole, Volcanics have 0 spam potential.  It'd be much more usable as a Link 1 (and then maybe follow that with a shuffle 3 draw 1 instead of 4 > 2).

I'm unsure about that. On one hand, we would be speaking of turning any Volcanic into an "Emeral" for an easy plus, and taking Firestorm Guard's job. If you want to buff it, I would rather make its materials more flexible and let it use either FIREs or Pyros, before turning it into a Link1.
And yet on the other hand, it would require at least 3 Volcanics in the GY for the draw so it's not as live. And plusing Link1s shouldn't exactly be avoided at all times or frowned upon, as some archetypes do have them, like Marincess and Magical Musket, which aren't breaking anything, at least not at the time being.

Archived