(Written CaC Archetype) The pathway to deceptive godly mill (03/??)

Dim'Meer Archetype focuses around annoying high DEF monsters that are hard to remove and milling the opponent out by changing their attack position monsters to defense position. This is still a work in progress mind you. 

Dim'Meer, Continuing Storm Strider

WATER Level 7 effect Winged-Beast monster

If you control a level 6 or higher DARK and/or WATER monster, this card's level reduced by 3 while this card is in your hand. You can Special Summon this card from your hand by banishing 5 cards from your hand and/or card(s) your opponent's GY. This monster can not be destroyed by battle or card effects. This monster can not declare an attack unless you control 3 or more WATER monsters and/or DARK monsters. If any card(s) of your opponent is banished, shuffle the banished card(s) into the deck then send the top 2 cards of your opponent's deck to the GY for each card shuffled into the deck by this card's effect. Monsters you control gain the following effect:

"Once per turn, if this monster is in Attack Position, you change this card's Battle Position to Defense Positon.

1100 ATK

2800 DEF

Dim'Meer, Root Head

DARK Level 6 effect Plant monster

You can Special Summon this card from your GY by banishing 5 cards from your GY except this card and/or card(s) your opponent's GY. This monster can not be destroyed by battle or card effects. This monster can not declare an attack unless you control 3 or more WATER monsters and/or DARK monsters. If a monster on the field is destroyed and sent to the GY, place 1 Root counter on this card. This card gains ATK and DEF equal to the number of Root counters on this card × 300. monsters you control gain the following effect:

"This monster gains DEF equal to this monster's ATK."

900 ATK

2200 DEF

The card that pulls it all together

Dim'Meer, Deception Mage

WATER Level 8 effect Spell caster monster

You can Special Summon this card from your hand by banishing 5 cards from your GY and/or your opponent's GY. This monster can not be destroyed by battle or card effects. This monster can not declare an attack unless you control 3 or more WATER monsters and/or DARK monsters. Monsters you control gain the following effect:

"When this ATK postion monster changes to DEF Position, banish the top card(s) of your opponent deck for each 500 DEF of this monster. 

1200 ATK

3200 DEF

I will be adding in more cards in the near future....

• Phelphor, of the Deep changed the title to (Written CaC Archetype) The pathway to deceptive godly mill (03/??)

For some reason, these seem like they could abuse the hell out of cards like Soul Release.

Soul Release - banish 5

Storm Strider - discard 10

Storm Strider also ruins cards like Different Dimension Dragon or any other card that banishes itself to avoid being attacked/targeted. So this card is technically the card that keeps your opponent in the battle.

Lol, I've just started playing MTGA again and I saw your first card and thought: "Huh.  This feels like a Magic card".  Googled the archetype name and... well, I suppose you know what I found. xD

In any case, these feel like faithful translations of how they'd work in MTG, but I think it might be more important to focus on how they'd play in YGO.  Namely, consolidate their power a bit and focus a bit more on their mill/banish goal.

They all have really solid Special Summon effects and they'd likely be live if you go second (considering the speed of YGO nowadays).  You could focus on making the deck a going-second deck, but if not, you need a way to get their Summons started.

In terms of "consolidation" here's a few things:

• Storm Strider really doesn't need that Level reduction effect.  It is pretty superfluous and adds next to nothing when you can easily Special Summon it.
  • Storm Strider's 3rd effect (the effect that returns banished cards then mills) is a little confusing.  Is it an ignition effect or a trigger effect?  It's pretty hard to tell honestly.
  • Storm Strider's "share" effect doesn't really fit with the rest of the monsters' strategy.  They have more DEF so why does it give them the ability to switch to attack?  If anything, it'd probably be best for it to give them an ability to switch to defense.
  • Root Head's self summon effect is not once per turn.  This is a bit dangerous and could allow for some loops.
  • Root Head's "Root Counter" effect is pretty underwhelming.  On the other hand, its "share" effect is really strong, giving pretty much all your monsters the ability to beat over most conventional things your opponent controls.  This isn't bad, per se (especially since all of them are restricted in their attacks), but it is something to keep in mind if you're going to change things.
  • Pretty much the only critique I have with Deception Mage is its stats are pretty ludicrous for its Level.  Honestly, if you bumped it up to Level 9/10/11, I'd be perfectly fine with it.  It's "share" effect can potentially facilitate an FTK though, so I'd probably tone that down a little (especially if you change Storm Strider's "share" effect).

Theme-wise, I love it.  Mill has never truly been a viable strategy, but it's nice to see how powerful they can be when focused.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Tythe Scora said:

Lol, I've just started playing MTGA again and I saw your first card and thought: "Huh.  This feels like a Magic card".  Googled the archetype name and... well, I suppose you know what I found. xD

In any case, these feel like faithful translations of how they'd work in MTG, but I think it might be more important to focus on how they'd play in YGO.  Namely, consolidate their power a bit and focus a bit more on their mill/banish goal.

They all have really solid Special Summon effects and they'd likely be live if you go second (considering the speed of YGO nowadays).  You could focus on making the deck a going-second deck, but if not, you need a way to get their Summons started.

• Storm Strider really doesn't need that Level reduction effect.  It is pretty superfluous and adds next to nothing when you can easily Special Summon it.
  • Storm Strider's 3rd effect (the effect that returns banished cards then mills) is a little confusing.  Is it an ignition effect or a trigger effect?  It's pretty hard to tell honestly.
  • Storm Strider's "share" effect doesn't really fit with the rest of the monsters' strategy.  They have more DEF so why does it give them the ability to switch to attack?  If anything, it'd probably be best for it to give them an ability to switch to defense.
  • Root Head's self summon effect is not once per turn.  This is a bit dangerous and could allow for some loops.
  • Root Head's "Root Counter" effect is pretty underwhelming.  On the other hand, its "share" effect is really strong, giving pretty much all your monsters the ability to beat over most conventional things your opponent controls.  This isn't bad, per se (especially since all of them are restricted in their attacks), but it is something to keep in mind if you're going to change things.
  • Pretty much the only critique I have with Deception Mage is its stats are pretty ludicrous for its Level.  Honestly, if you bumped it up to Level 9/10/11, I'd be perfectly fine with it.  It's "share" effect can potentially facilitate an FTK though, so I'd probably tone that down a little (especially if you change Storm Strider's "share" effect).

Theme-wise, I love it.  Mill has never truly been a viable strategy, but it's nice to see how powerful they can be when focused.

Cheers!

I'm in the process of making a mtg dimir deception mill commander deck with untaping subtheme 

Dim'Meer Archetype focuses around annoying high DEF monsters that are hard to remove and milling the opponent out by changing their attack position monsters to defense position.

The reduce level effect helps get it out without banishing cards (case theres none there) 

Maybe increase by 1 more (2 in total) ?

It's a trigger effect (like whenever it happens) and this effect pairs great with deception mage doubling the mill.

The share ability is to allow them double their mill (untaping) after they tap themselves to mill the opponent. Oh wait that proably should change

Root special summoning may need to change. 

The root counters gives them a little more boost to get more milling done ✔

The share effect of Root helps gives them more milling power but yeah i need to cut their ATK down.

I will change the ATK stats on all of them and increase the level of mage up.

@Horu Ishayuki this is how you do it.

Thanks, Tythe!

On 10/10/2020 at 6:30 PM, Horu Ishayuki said:

For some reason, these seem like they could abuse the hell out of cards like Soul Release.

Soul Release - banish 5

Storm Strider also ruins cards like Different Dimension Dragon or any other card that banishes itself to avoid being attacked/targeted. So this card is technically the card that keeps your opponent in the battle.

edited the original post. 

On 10/10/2020 at 6:30 PM, Horu Ishayuki said:

Soul Release - banish 5

Anything else? You know there's more than 1 card. 

On 10/11/2020 at 6:05 PM, Tythe Scora said:

Cheers!

What you think of the cards now?

I know that there is more than 1 card but that one has the most impact. Not necessarily a bad thing though. That one just stood out. But using this strategy, my main concern would be cards like Return from a Different Dimension and others that can SS banished monsters. But yeah, RfaDD allows you to swarm the field with any powerful monsters that could've been lost so that is definitely the biggest threat to this archetype.

Archived