Castlevania Vampire Support

Rayfield Lumina

Spooky Day, Community! I have to say, it never crossed my mind I'd make something like this, but hell, let's get a little into the mood, won't we? Due to @Ember McLain's  Halloween Masquerade Event, I decided to make this, in the hope some other members follow the trend. And I decided to do this by making Support for the "Vampire" Archetype, but using characters from one of my beloved franchises: Castlevania. Having said that, here I go!

But before that, absolutely make sure you hear this while reading through the cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTzIOec-Lr0

Dracula.jpg.0baa4aea1988491407a6a434709d6a30.jpg

Dracula, Vampire Overlord

DARK                Rank 6
Zombie / Xyz / Effect

2 Level 6 Zombie monsters, including 1 monster your opponent owns. 
If this card is Special Summoned: You can add 1 “Embodiment of The Vampire's Power, Castlevania” from your Deck or GY to your hand, but you cannot activate it this turn. When your opponent activates a card effect (Quick Effect): You can detach 1 material from this card, then target 1 monster in your opponent’s GY; negate that card’s effect, and if you do, Special Summon that target in Defense Position. You can make all monsters on the field become Zombie, and if you do, take 300 damage for each monster that became Zombie this way. You can only use each effect of “Dracula, Vampire Overlord” once per turn.

ATK 3000 / DEF 2000

Alucard.jpg.31ba31b16747dbe8d5f9a0c1e48e1ca2.jpg

Alucard, Half Vampire, Grieving Son

DARK               Rank 5
Zombie / Xyz / Effect

2 Level 5 Zombie and/or Spellcaster monsters
This card is also treated as Warrior-Type. If this card is Special Summoned: You can add 1 “Vampire” monster from your Deck or GY to your hand. You can Tribute 1 Zombie monster on the field (even if you don’t control it), and if you do, this card can make a second attack during each Battle Phase this turn, but other monsters cannot attack during the turn you activate this effect. Once per turn, during the Standby Phase of the next turn after this card you controlled was destroyed by your opponent's card and sent to your GY: Special Summon this card in Defense Position, OR Special Summon it in Attack Position if you pay 500 LP.

ATK 2600 / DEF 1800

Death.jpg.14831f1243a9c22771876350c2f61d33.jpg

Death, Vampire’s Great Herald

DARK     Level 6
Zombie / Effect

If a monster(s) is sent from the field to the GY (except when it is used as material for a Summon), you can Special Summon this card (from your hand. Immediately after the effect of a "Vampire" monster in which you paid LP is resolved (Quick Effect): You can target 1 monster in your GY with an ATK equal or higher than that amount of LP you paid; banish it, and if you do, gain that same amount of LP. If this card is destroyed by battle: Destroy the attacking monster. You can only use each effect of "Death, Vampire's Great Herald" once per turn.

ATK 2400 / DEF 500

Maria.jpg.2a97a64c13719466be6c8ca15eb077b9.jpg

Maria, Vampire Huntress of Familiars

LIGHT          Level 5
Spellcaster / Effect

This card is also treated as DARK-Attribute and Zombie-Type while in the Deck or GY. When your opponent activates a monster effect while you control no monsters, but you have a Zombie monster(s) in your GY (except "Maria, Vampire Huntress of Familiars") (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, negate the activation of that effect.You can pay 500 LP; Special Summon 1 "Familiar Token" (Beast/LIGHT/Level 3/1000 ATK /500 DEF). It cannot be used as Tribute or material for a Summon during this turn.This card, or a monster Summoned by using this card as material, cannot attack during the turn this effect is activated.You can only use each effect of  "Maria, Vampire Huntress of Familiars" once per turn.

ATK 1000 / DEF 2500

Charlotte.jpg.1d8c23d1d1dfdf30f12649d012d7fffd.jpg

Charlotte, Vampire Huntress of Sorcery

LIGHT          Level 5
Spellcaster / Effect

This card is also treated as DARK-Attribute and Zombie-Type while in the Deck or GY. When your opponent activates a Spell Card or effect while you control no monsters, but you have a Zombie monster(s) in your GY (except "Charlotte, Vampire Huntress of Sorcery") (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, negate the activation of that card or effect. You can pay LP in multiples of 500 (max. 1500) then target 1 card on the field for every 750 LP you paid; destroy that target(s). This card, or a monster Summoned by using this card as material, cannot attack during the turn this effect is activated. You can only use each effect of "Charlotte, Vampire Huntress of Sorcery" once per turn.

ATK 2500 / DEF 200

Shanoa.jpg.45e4660fc9c69e55348208d523237146.jpg

Shanoa, Vampire Huntress of Ecclesia

LIGHT          Level 5
Spellcaster / Effect

This card is also treated as DARK-Attribute and Zombie-Type while in the Deck or GY. When your opponent activates a Trap Card or effect while you control no monsters, but you have a Zombie monster(s) in your GY (except "Shanoa, Vampire Huntress of Ecclesia") (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, negate the activation of that card or effect. You can pay 1000 LP; Special Summon 1 “Vampire” monster from your Deck, but banish it when it leaves the field. This card, or a monster Summoned by using this card as material, cannot attack during the turn this effect is activated. You can only use each effect of "Shanoa, Vampire Huntress of Ecclesia" once per turn.

ATK 2000 / DEF 1200

Castlevania.jpg.bb98745ed87dd36788c703313a470261.jpg

Embodiment of The Vampire's Power, Castlevania

Field Spell

Can only be activated if you control a "Dracula, Vampire Overlord". Cannot leave the field by your opponent's card effects while you control "Dracula, Vampire Overlord". When this card is activated: You can add 1 "Vampire" card from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn: You can send 1 "Vampire" monster from your Deck to the GY, then target 1 monster your opponent controls with a DEF lower than the ATK of that "Vampire" monster; take control of that target, and if you do, skip your next Battle Phase. Note the amount of LP you pay to activate "Vampire" card effects each turn. Once per turn, during your Standby Phase: You can Tribute 1 Zombie or Spellcaster monster on the field; gain LP equal to half the amount of LP you paid to activate "Vampire" card effects during your previous turn. If "Dracula, Vampire Overlord" leaves the field, destroy this card.

VampireCrimsonStone.jpg.83867e9870cf50ff6806523d6104e128.jpg

Vampire Crimson Stone

Quick-Play Spell

Target 1 monster on the field: Its name becomes "Vampire" and its type becomes Zombie (even in the GY), then you can pay LP in multiples of 200 (max. 1000), and if you do, increase/decrease that target's Level by 1 for every 200 LP you paid and increase/decrease that target's ATK by the same amount of LP you paid. When a "Vampire" monster you control would be destroyed by battle or would leave the field by your opponent's card effect, you can banish this card from your GY instead. You can only use this effect of "Vampire Crimson Stone" once per turn.

1364858910_DeadlyTrapHole.jpg.d3d97fbfb9de336d7bc5b603d8db391b.jpg

Vampire Deadly Trap Hole

Normal Trap

When your opponent Summons exactly 1 monster (and no other monsters), and that monster has a lower Level than the Level/Rank of a "Vampire" monster you control: Send that monster to the GY. During your next Standby Phase, if the monster sent to the GY by this card's effect is still in your opponent's GY: You can Special Summon it, but negate its effect, also its name becomes "Vampire" and its Type becomes Zombie. If a monster your opponent owns is destroyed by an opponent's attack or leaves the field by your opponent's card effect while in your possession: You can banish this card from your GY, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half of that monster's original ATK.

LenoreL.jpg.4a8df052aba4e8f792739bf93748f8e2.jpg

Lenore, Vampire’s Diplomat

DARK                     ↖ ↑ ↗

Zombie / Link / Effect

2+ “Vampire” monsters
You can send 1 monster this card points to to the GY, and if you do, gain LP equal to that monster’s original ATK. If your opponent Special Summons a monster(s) to a zone(s) this card points to: Negate that monster’s effect, also it becomes Zombie, and that monster cannot attack or be used as material for a Summon. When you would pay LP to activate a “Vampire” card effect: You can make your opponent pay up to 500 LP out of that effect’s cost. You can only use each effect of “Lenore, Vampire’s Diplomat” once per turn.

ATK 2500 / LINK 3

You might find it strange that I added some LIGHT monsters that aren't Zombie in the field. I won't deny it's not the best idea when thinking of the compatibility of the Archetype, but they have pretty nice effects on their own and can become Zombie with the help of some cards in order to Summon Bram or Sucker. It didn't make sense they were Zombies as well, and I couldn't resist the temptation of adding them to the Archetype, so that's why xD.

I think that's it for the card upload, but I'll probably make some adjustments to the cards. Today's the day, so may a masked guy with a chainsaw chases after you!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here are my reviews for every single card. This will take a while:

Dracula, Vampire Overlord: This is broken, considering how easy his Summoning Conditions really are. Getting a different Zombie Xyz on the board is easier than you might think. No, I don't mean a Rank 5 Xyz. I'm talking about Ghostrick Alucard (seriously, that's a striking coincidence). Really think about it. You summon Ghostrick Alucard, pop one of your opponent's face-downs, overlay Xyz Summon this over it, onmi-negate whatever your opponent does, AND revive an opponent's non-Link monster, all for the price of one Tour Guide from the Underworld. And god forbid if this is used in Burning Abyss. This basically gives an archetype made for self-replenishing an easy 3 omni-negate 3200s.

That doesn't even scratch the +1 Field Spell search that, in turn, searches a Vampire after that. I understand that Dracula is the "King of the Night" for a reason, so his Summoning condition should be harder if you don't want to weaken him. Much harder. Maybe something like using a monster originally controlled by your opponent as a requirement. It would be like the intro scene to Rondo of Blood, when a maiden is sacrificed to resurrect him.

Alucard, Half Vampire, Grieving Son: Also broken, like his father. Compared to Crimson Knight Vampire Bram, this lets you use any Level 5 monsters (not just Zombies). So...Cyber Dragons? Regardless, if you've got Zombie World on the board, you can basically Kaiju anything for free, then double attack. This doesn't even cost Xyz Materials. And to top it all off, this has Crimson Knight's revival effect with an addendum that makes it better. He basically makes Crimson Knight obsolete. Just get rid of some of his effects. If you kept only the Tribute + Double Attack effect and nothing else, he'd still be powerful, but an offensive tactical option compared to the relatively defensive Crimson Knight.

Death, Vampire's Great Herald: I like him. Sure, getting him on the field is too easy. It doesn't matter whose monster is sent from the field to the GY. However, his effects aren't broken, and 2400 with no protection isn't that big of a deal. His effects are also very reminiscent of devouring souls to replenish your life, which you were no doubt going for. If I could suggest anything, you might consider changing the effect to banishing monsters from your GY to revive an opponent's monster, specifically so you'd have the "sacrifice" needed to summon Dracula (the revised effect I mentioned earlier). It'd make sense for him to go so out of his way for his master.

Maria, Vampire Huntress of Familiars: No. Just no. She's just a hand trap that beats all other hand traps. She negates any monster effect (even ones off the field), destroys them, and summons herself. This just makes Infinite Impermanence and Effect Veiler obsolete, not to mention she also negates any monster hand traps, neutering your opponent's Ash Blossom or Ghost Ogre. Anybody would just play 3 of her, regardless of what archetype they were using. Not only that, but if she survives your opponent's turn (not that hard with 2500 DEF), she can put a token on the board for no loss in card advantage; a token with no restrictions, by the way, letting you use it for all kinds of Link plays. I had suggestions for the previous cards, but this is just impossible to salvage. All I can even try to suggest is to just get rid of the negate entirely and put a restriction on what you can summon with her Token.

Charlotte, Vampire Huntress of Sorcery: This has the same problem that Maria does. She negates any Spell, summons herself, and if she survives a turn (2500 ATK), she can pop up to two cards for no loss in card advantage. My suggestion has the same principle that should apply with Maria: get rid of the easy Spell negate and maybe add a discard cost with the LP cost to pop cards. If you must keep the negate, you should have a huge restriction, like with Psy-Frames and their empty monster board requirement.

Shanoa, Vampire Huntress of Ecclesia: I'm noticing a pattern here. Maria negates monsters, Charlotte negates Spells, and Shanoa negates Traps. This is rather bizarre, considering that Vampire Decks were never about negating your opponent's cards, or even Control Decks for that matter. They're about swarming the field with a legion of the undead, like any Zombie Deck. Speaking of which, Shanoa actually contributes to that; Special Summoning a Vampire from the Deck, just like Shadow Vampire. That said, Shanoa is easily the least overpowered of the three, considering just how rare Traps actually are these days. The only real change I can suggest is that there should be a restriction to the negate effect, like Psy-Framegear Epsilon.

Embodiment of The Vampire's Power, Castlevania: I took one look at this thing and I thought "This is E - Emergency Call, Foolish Burial, and Mind Control all wrapped up into one while also being searchable by Terraforming or Metaverse." It also contests with Zombie World and Vampire Kingdom, as they're also Field Spells and have their own roles in the Vampire archetype. I have a unique idea with this, though. Rather than weaken this card, you could make it dependent on Dracula being on the field. Just like the game's lore, Castlevania only rises when Dracula lives (barring a few exceptions). Furthermore, it's virtually indestructible until he's destroyed, so you could give this a similar effect of being unaffected by card effects, but sends itself to the GY if Dracula isn't on the field.

And that's all of them. Hope I didn't rain on you too much, but most of these are way too powerful, and some of these even go against the usual play style of a Vampire Deck.

By Leviathan's Scales!! @gmaster1991Since during the early days when I posted this it went ignored I absolutely didn't imagine somebody would give me feedback, much less one as excellent as this one (because even though it's in general a "dude, your cards are crazy strong, nerf here and there" I loved it and appreciate all the time you took to analyze the cards and offer suggestions on how to improve them. I came here today to add 3 more cards just for the fun of it and that's why I noticed. I'm glad I did, because otherwise I wouldn't have found out about this, and you might have thought I didn't reply because I was an arrogant guy who didn't like the critique.

So yeah, on contrary, I'm going to analyze the suggestions carefully and change the cards little by little. I recognize  sometimes I go a bit overboard with the effects, or add stuff that doesn't completely fits the archetype. Specially in the case of the ladies, which aren't even the correct type and Attribute and do weird stuff that reminds a bit of Psy-frames  xD. Lately I've been working with a politic of make things strong and nerf them if proven naughty. I lack some knowledge of the meta, so certain combos you mention didn't occur to me while making the cards.

For now, then, I'll only add the three new cards, but when I have time I'll implement some changes. Thanks again!

4 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

By Leviathan's Scales!! @gmaster1991Since during the early days when I posted this it went ignored I absolutely didn't imagine somebody would give me feedback, much less one as excellent as this one (because even though it's in general a "dude, your cards are crazy strong, nerf here and there" I loved it and appreciate all the time you took to analyze the cards and offer suggestions on how to improve them. I came here today to add 3 more cards just for the fun of it and that's why I noticed. I'm glad I did, because otherwise I wouldn't have found out about this, and you might have thought I didn't reply because I was an arrogant guy who didn't like the critique.

So yeah, on contrary, I'm going to analyze the suggestions carefully and change the cards little by little. I recognize  sometimes I go a bit overboard with the effects, or add stuff that doesn't completely fits the archetype. Specially in the case of the ladies, which aren't even the correct type and Attribute and do weird stuff that reminds a bit of Psy-frames  xD. Lately I've been working with a politic of make things strong and nerf them if proven naughty. I lack some knowledge of the meta, so certain combos you mention didn't occur to me while making the cards.

For now, then, I'll only add the three new cards, but when I have time I'll implement some changes. Thanks again!

Hi, Rayfield! It's me again. As a post that was placed in the Advanced Multiples forum, game balance is a mandatory aspect that must always be considered. I didn't really think anything of the fact that you didn't respond immediately (just figured you were busy for Halloween). Anyway, now that you added three more cards, here's my feedback:

Vampire Crimson Stone: This is interesting. Being able to change anything you want to a Zombie and potentially any useful level as well can open up a lot of plays. What's really interesting is that you can target your opponent's monster. As a Quick-Play Spell, this could not only be used to make your plays, but disrupt your opponent's. The Return of the Dragon Lords-style protection is just icing. This is easily one of the better cards. It has multiple uses without being totally broken (i.e. the many effects this has are balanced by the fact that this is a total brick if you topdeck this without monsters).

Just one thing to note. Does the monster's name literally become "Vampire" or is it meant to be treated as a "Vampire" monster?

Vampire Deadly Trap Hole: As a Trap Hole card, this is too powerful. Normally, Trap Hole cards have certain requirements that must be met. The original Trap Hole requires a Normal or Flip Summon with 1000+ ATK, Bottomless Trap Hole requires a Summon(s) of 1500+ ATK, Traptrix Trap Hole Nightmare requires a monster to activate its effect on the same turn it was Special Summoned, and so on. Only Adhesion Trap Hole and Floodgate Trap Hole have no requirements, because their effect don't remove the monster from the field.

The requirement of "1 monster" is too broad. If we assume that this card is meant to ensnare unsuspecting prey and turn them into a Vampire, then you should probably have a Vampire on the field to be able to use this. In fact, I could suggest that this should only work against a monster that has a lower Level than a Vampire monster(s) you control. It even combos well with Crimson Stone in that way.

Lenore, Vampire's Diplomat: Ah, my new favorite villain in the Castlevania Netflix series. How fitting that this card would be my favorite of the bunch. I can tell you were going for the whole "commerce" theme that Lenore claims to believe in: "both parties get a bit of what they want." You get to turn your opponent's monsters into Vampires and feed off them for LP, your opponent gets to Link Summon from her arrows. True to character, this "compromise" is actually rigged in her favor, thanks to her negating the opposing monster's effects and preventing them from being used as Materials. The fact that she can "charge rent" for the zones she offers is just hilarious.

This is perfect. She doesn't need to be changed at all.

So, I've been working on the cards, @gmaster1991 and made some changes according to the suggestions. Here's a resume of the adjustments:

Dracula: It cannot be Summoned by using another Zombie Xyz anymore. Instead, you now need a Zombie monster owned by your opponent as material. Castlevania cannot be activated the turn you add it to your hand. In contrast, it now requires 2 materials. I imagine you might be against this, but I wanted to keep it strong, but this time more balanced. A little, not very important adjustment in ATK due to the material requirement change. Utopia Beyond is a generic Rank 6 with BEWD stats, so I think this works.

Alucard: It's not generic anymore, but still allows Spellcasters so the ladies can be used as material. Other monsters cannot attack during the turn you use the double attack effect.

Maria: The impossible to salvage card xD. It can only use her effect if you control no other monsters and only if you already have Zombies in the GY, also it doesn't destroy anymore, but still negates. Token can't be used as material or Tribute during the turn you Summon it, and if you use that effect, Maria or a card summoned by using her as material cannot Attack during that turn.

Charlotte. Same as above. Increased LP cost. I really didn't want to add a discarding effect.

Shanoa. Same as the retrictions as the others, but no other addition.

Castlevania: As suggested, can only exist with Dracula, stays while Dracula is around and dies with Dracula. This is, of course, while some nasty Belmont watches it crumble from the nearest cliff.

Trap Hole: It now requires you control a Vampire with a higher Level/Rank than the Level of the monster being Summoned.

So yeah, this might probably won't be perfect, but I hope it now looks better. Thanks for all the help!

P.D:I almost forgot. The "Vampire" thing. It's an interesting question. My intention is that it serves as both: by changing the card's name to "Vampire", it now belongs to the "Vampire" Archetype. I'm aware of certain problematic with the card naming, tho. Stuff like, "This is not treated as X"... mistranslated cases or oversights, different meanings because of the kanji, etc. But all in all, I feel that as long as a card  has the exact letters of the archetype in the name and the card doesn't specify it doesn't belong to it, then it should work.

Yes, this is much better. 🙂Utopia Beyond is indeed, a strong and generic Rank 6, so two materials for a 3000 is fine for Dracula. One thing to note about Charlotte: I think there's an oversight. It says you destroy cards for every 750 LP you pay, but you still pay in increments of 500 and the maximum is still 1000. If that's intentional, then she can only destroy 1 card now.

Archived