Holy Night (Seiyaryu Archetype?!) - STL1

Note: This theme is a play on Holy Knight and Holy Night (Christmas Eve), and its ace monster is derived from Seiyaryu (Holy Knight Dragon)

content.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

STL1-JP041 聖夜に煌めく竜 Seiya ni Kirameku Ryuu (The Dragon Shining on the Holy Night/Radiant Seiyaryu)
Level 7 LIGHT Dragon Effect Monster
ATK 2500
DEF 2300
(1) If this card is Normal or Special Summoned from your hand: You can target 1 card on the field; destroy it.
(2) Cannot be destroyed by battle with a DARK monster. Cannot be destroyed by a DARK monster’s effect.
(3) Once per turn, at the start of the Damage Step when this card attacks an opponent’s monster: You can banish that opponent’s monster until the End Phase, also this card can make 1 more attack in a row.

content-2.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

STL1-JP042 ホーリーナイツ・レイエル Holy Night Rayel
Level 4 LIGHT Fairy Effect Monster
ATK 1800
DEF 700
You can only use this card name’s (1) and (2) effects once per turn each.
(1) When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 “Holy Night” Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand.
(2) You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 “Holy Night” monster in your GY, except “Holy Night Rayel”; Special Summon it.

content-3.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

STL1-JP043 ホーリーナイツ・アステル Holy Night Astel
ATK 500
DEF 2000
You can only use this card name’s (1) and (2) effects once per turn each.
(1) (Quick Effect): You can target 1 LIGHT monster you control; Tribute it, and if you do, Special Summon 1 Level 7 LIGHT Dragon monster from your hand.
(2) You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 Level 7 LIGHT Dragon monster you control; it gains 1000 ATK until the end of your opponent’s turn.

content-9.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

STL1-JP044 ホーリーナイツ・フラムエル Holy Night Flamel
ATK 1500
DEF 1000
You can only use either this card name’s (1) or (2) effect per turn, and only once that turn.
(1) When an opponent’s monster attacks: You can send this card from your hand or field to the GY; Special Summon 1 Level 7 LIGHT Dragon monster from your hand.
(2) (Quick Effect): You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 Level 7 LIGHT Dragon monster you control or have in your GY; return it to the hand.

content-4.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

STL1-JP045 聖なる篝火(ホーリーナイツ・ベルファイア) Holy Night Bellfire
Normal Spell Card
You can only activate 1 card with this card’s name per turn.
(1) Add 1 “Holy Night” monster or 1 Level 7 LIGHT Dragon monster from your Deck to your hand. Then, if your opponent controls a DARK monster while you control no monsters, you can Special Summon 1 Level 7 LIGHT Dragon monster from your hand.

content-1.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

STL1-JP046 煌めく聖夜(ホーリーナイツ・スカイ) Holy Night Sky
Field Spell Card
You can only use this card name’s (2) effect once per turn.
(1) During your Main Phase, you can Normal Summon 1 “Holy Night” monster or 1 Level 7 LIGHT Dragon monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)
(2) If a face-up Level 7 LIGHT Dragon monster you control is returned to the hand during your turn: You can draw 1 card.

content-5.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

STL1-JP047 聖なる降誕(ホーリーナイツ・ナティビティ) Holy Night Nativity
Continuous Spell Card
You can only use this card name’s (1) or (2) effect per turn, and only once that turn.
(1) During your Main Phase: You can reveal 1 LIGHT Fairy monster from your hand, and if you do, add 1 Level 7 LIGHT Dragon monster from your Deck to your hand, then, place the revealed card on the bottom of the Deck.
(2) If your opponent activates a card or effect: You can Special Summon 1 Level 7 LIGHT Dragon monster from your hand.

content-8.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

STL1-JP048 聖夜の降臨(ホーリーナイツ・アドベント) Holy Night Advent
Continuous Trap Card
You can only use this card name’s (1) effect once per turn.
(1) During the Main Phase: You can activate 1 of these effects.
• Target 1 Level 7 LIGHT Dragon monster you control; return it to the hand.
• Special Summon 1 Level 7 LIGHT Dragon monster from your hand.

content-7.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

STL1-JP049 聖なる煌炎(ホーリーナイツ・ブラスト) Holy Night Blast
Normal Trap Card
You can only activate 1 card with this card’s name per turn.
(1) When an opponent’s card or effect is activated: Return 1 Level 7 LIGHT Dragon monster you control to the hand; negate the effect, and if you do, destroy it.

Note, A List of Level 7 LIGHT Dragons include:

Arkbrave Dragon
Odd-Eyes Saber Dragon
Sauravis, the Ancient and Ascended
Hieratic Dragon of Asar
Hyozanryu
White Dragon Ninja
Photon Wyvern
Seiyaryu
Lightray Diabolos
Ancient Fairy Dragon
Black Rose Moonlight Dragon
Kaiser Dragon
Michael, the Arch-Lightsworn
Shooting Riser Dragon

Source: https://ygorganization.com/thespecialtransformationthathappensonceayear/

Feels like Konami is going back to the basics with this, but honestly, I like it.  Playstyle is easy to understand: continually popping cards by spamming your boss monster over and over.  Dodging effects, coming back with a vengeance, it's pretty cute.  That continuous trap even reminds me of Ghostrick-Go-Round a little.

Besides those notable Level 7 LIGHT Dragons, I wanna also note that "Dwarf Star Dragon Planeter" could also be useful since it can search out any Level 7 LIGHT or DARK monster.  It's generally too slow for most other decks that would normally use it, but given the continuous trap, it could work?  I could totally see "Honest" being run in triplicate just because of the continuous spell.

EDIT: Okay, I'ma be degenerate for just a sec. I wanna be crushed by Rayel's thighs.

I like the new Seiraryu, and the support is just generic enough to be good. I think my big issue here is that it feels like there's just one or two more cards that feel a bit redundant. It's hard to single any out in particular, but they probably could have been a bit more ambitious with other effects besides looping Seiraryu.

Archived