[Written] Ocean's Lich, Gorgeia the Calciferous | the possible future of anti-negate effects splashing in!

Dokutah

Ocean's Lich, Gorgeia the Calciferous 

WATER / Level 8 / Zombie / Synchro / Effect

1 Tuner + 1+ Monster

If this card is Synchro Summoned, negate the effect of all face-up cards currently on the field, except Level 5 or higher monsters whose original Type and/or Attribute is either WATER and/or Zombie. Whenever a WATER and/or Zombie monster you control activate its effect while either you control this Synchro Summoned card OR this card in your GY that sent there from the field, and then that activated effect is either not resolved OR resolved with different effect than the effect listed on that card's text: Destroy 1 card your opponent control.

2900 / 1900

imagination bit: imagine a undersea lich armored with semi-bleached corals surrounding by colorful-but-ominous looking ghost of reef's fishes

the experimental part (like any of my creation) is the last effect that technically a reactive effect that convert opponent negation/effect modifying abilities into destruction. yugioh has this distinction that unless the floodgate card specifically prevent activation, you can still activate a negated effect even if that effect still fail to resolved due to negation. this distinction combo with this card to "convert" that negated effect instead of letting it it fizzle-out

• Dokutah changed the title to [Written] Ocean's Lich, Gorgeia the Calciferous | the possible future of anti-negate effects splashing in!

Damn, this card is pretty intriguing. First effect is quite strong, even if it only affects cards currently on the field, considering that this guy is amazingly easy to Summon, for instance, in an Atlantean or Ice Barrier Deck. Speaking of easy summoning, I wonder if making the materials required 1 Tuner + 1 monster is not an oversight considering the typical formula is 1 Tuner + 1+non-Tuner. I'm aware there are Synchro mobs that don't require the non-Tuner, so just mentioning it.

Insisting with the Atlanteans and Ice Barriers, I'd say you could include in the cards exempted in the effect negating Level 5+ WATER mobs. It makes for a fun combination, as you could keep the strong mobs from either archetype active, while negating the effect of the small mobs, but still activate their effects to make some explosions on the opponent's field.

I'd like to ask why the (printed) part. I'd say simply by saying "original type" is enough to cover for the intended effect, but I might be overlooking something.

Finally, I find it strange that the first effect seems like a trigger effect when Synchro Summoned, yet it's a continuous effect. It could even be negated this way, so I'd say let's remove the colon and go something like:

If Synchro Summoned, negate the effect of all face-up cards currently on the field, except Level 5 or higher monsters whose original Type is Zombie and/or original Attribute is WATER

Fun card!

30 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

I'd like to ask why the (printed) part. I'd say simply by saying "original type" is enough to cover for the intended effect, but I might be overlooking something.

It once used on the card i believe though i forgot which one. But i guess you right, its me being over-wording effects

33 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

required 1 Tuner + 1 monster is not an oversight considering the typical formula is 1 Tuner + 1+non-Tuner. I'm aware there are Synchro mobs that don't require the non-Tuner, so just mentioning it.

It is intented lol

35 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

nsisting with the Atlanteans and Ice Barriers, I'd say you could include in the cards exempted in the effect negating Level 5+ WATER mobs. It makes for a fun combination, as you could keep the strong mobs from either archetype active, while negating the effect of the small mobs, but still activate their effects to make some explosions on the opponent's field.

Well you did already provided the effect fixes, and its good idea. Future fix incoming then!

• 3 weeks later...

The card you are looking for is one of the modifications in the text of "Solidarity" (SDMM according to my investigation) that has "(printed)" in the text. Although I'm finding out newer versions of the card (the ones after the text box got lighter, bigger, and the 1st edition letters got moved to the bottom of the card) no longer have it. I suppose you could go either way and not technically be wrong in it.

Right off the bat I greatly appreciate that the card can be made with 100% Tuners if you so wished for it. Only Gottoms ever was like that and I thought it was an underused advantage. 
The negation effect alone is great. If it ever made an impact in the meta this would cause decks that can make something like Toadally Awesome or Bahamut Shark kind of neat as they escape negation xD
Honestly I kinda wish it would have the "Dark Ruler No More" clause where monster effects specifically cannot reply to it, This way you could dump this in front of "Solemn on legs" boss monsters and laugh at them.
I also like how this can be quick made via Formula Synchron and similar cards. Part of me wishes it was a Tuner so Needlefiber would drop it but no no no... that is pushing it for Needlefiber hahaha.

The last effect sounds fun but incredibly situational as a ton of negators actually negate the activation itself. Artifact Durendal comes to mind or chaining Skill Drain to an effect activation, maybe Light & Darkness Dragon? That's not necessarily a bad thing as this works for any Zombie or any WATER and it also works from the GY so once support is made for this gimmick it will go from 0 to 100 real fast. Especially for the lack of hard OPT clauses xD

• 2 weeks later...

I would fix the effect as:

If this card is Synchro Summoned, negate the effect of all face-up cards currently on the field, except Level 5 or higher monsters whose original Type is Zombie and Attribute is WATER. When a WATER or Zombie monster you control activates its effect while either you control this Synchro Summoned card OR this card in your GY and was sent there from the field, then that activated effect is either did not resolve OR resolved with different effect than the effect listed on that card's text: Destroy 1 card your opponent controls.

You don't really need the "and/or" because WATER and Zombies are different classification categories. The ability to trigger upon effect replacements is amusing and highly situational, but looks fine to me. I find amusing that it is deliberately Summonable with only Tuners. Plus it has generic requirements so it's highly accessible. I'm a bit concerned personally because it's such a generic negation blanket that further punishes negations. To give a bit of context, Borreload Savage Dragon is AFAIK the closest thing to this, and it requires a Link monster in the GY to be live. Then again, this is more for breaking boards than establishing them so it would compliment Savage Dragon in decks that can already access it, plus this won't play nice in non-WATER or non-Zombie decks, but a negation blanket alone, even over your own side of the field, ought to shift the tides of a duel towards your favor anytime.

Archived