Penguin Acrobatics

Rayfield Lumina

1735164905_PenguinAcrobatics02.thumb.png.04e6d8989099a198c91bf00500d214b4.png

Penguin Acrobatics

Quick-Play Spell

Activate 1 of the following effects.

⚪  Target 1 face-up monster you control which has an effect that activates when it is Flip Summoned or flipped face-up; activate that effect, also you can flip that target, face-down.

⚪ Target 1 face-down monster you control; either Flip Summon it or flip it face-up, but negate its effects if it doesn't have an effect that activates when it is flipped face-up, then flip it face-down.

If this card is in your GY: You can target up to 2 face-up monsters you control; flip them face-down, then Set this card, but banish it when it leaves the field, and non-"Penguin" monsters targeted this way are banished when they leave the field. You can only use 1 "Penguin Acrobatics" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

I finally shook off the mind blockage and made this, and heck, I'll risk it by posting in the realistic section. I'd say this is a fairly strong card in flip-focused Decks. As you can see, I avoid saying stuff like "target 1 face-up Flip monster..." and instead I use "target 1 monster which has an effect that activates when it is flipped face-up". Evidently, this greatly increase the diversity of monsters it can affect, (hell, even a horrible Wall of Illusion will be happy xD) and with an emphasis in helping Penguin Decks, though this is generic support. I debated about many things in this card. For instance, the limitation that screws monsters without flipping effects in bullet effect 2. I just felt it was flavourful, but can be removed. Last effect was for some minutes a Book of Moon effect that could target any mob on the field, but I felt that was too stronk with the already good "standard" effects. But I might be over-valuating the card, so C n C is welcome!

P:D: I'm thinking the grammar might require a fix. In the part that asks you to banish the cards, I might need to reword it, because as it is it could be confusing, leading to think that is any of them leaves the field, you must banish them all. I'm not sure how to word it, though, it doesn't seem saying " but banish the target(s) and this card when each leave the field" is good enough.

Target 1 face-up monster you control which has an effect that activates when it is Flip Summoned or flipped face-up; activate that effect, also you can flip that target, face-down.
 Target 1 face-down monster you control; Either Flip Summon it, or flip it face-up, but negate its effects if it doesn't have an effect that activates when it is flipped face-up, then flip it face-down.
If this card is in your GY: You can target up to 2 face-up monsters you control; flip them face-down, then Set this card, but banish it when it leaves the field, and non-"Penguin" monsters targeted this way are banished when they leave the field. You can only use 1 "Penguin Acrobatics" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

I like that card. It reminds me slightly of Book of Eclipse except it allows for more flippity floppity shenanigans! Oh the fun! *insert creepy Pagasus face*

Also, the picture made me laugh.

2 minutes ago, Zefra the Shaddoll Master said:

It Looks Nice I like it but I'm a little confused on why it negates a Monsters Effects. This would work Great in Guru or Shaddoll Decks.

It will only negate the effect of monsters which do NOT have an effect that activates when it is flipped face-up, so don't worry, Shaddolls and Guru Subterror will definitely activate their effects no problem. The idea if to restrict it so it cannot work along funny shenanigans.

3 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

It will only negate the effect of monsters which do NOT have an effect that activates when it is flipped face-up, so don't worry, Shaddolls and Guru Subterror will definitely activate their effects no problem. The idea if to restrict it so it cannot work along funny shenanigans.

How does it work if there Filped Face-up does it Negate there Filp Effects or after they use there Filp Effects?

7 minutes ago, Zefra the Shaddoll Master said:

How does it work if there Filped Face-up does it Negate there Filp Effects or after they use there Filp Effects?

Again, no, not at all, Flip monsters are 100% benefited by this card, their effects won't be negated. If they're face-up already, you use bullet effect 1, activate their effect that normally apply when they're flipped face-up, then it is flipped face-down, ready to pull it off again. If it is face-down, you use bullet effect 2, it will forcefully flip it face-up and activate its effect as usual, but since this is a Quick-Play Spell, you can pull off nasty stuff like flipping a Penguin Soldier to return two opponent's monsters to the hand. And the good thing is, Flip monsters are often weak (with exceptions, yeah) but when they're flipped face-up by this effect they do so in Defense Position.

10 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

⚪  Target 1 face-up monster you control which has an effect that activates when it is flipped face-up; activate that effect, also you can flip that target, face-down.

⚪ Target 1 face-down monster you control; flip it face-up, but negate its effects if it doesn't have an effect that activates when it is flipped face-up, then flip it face-down.

If this card is in your GY: You can target up to 2 face-up monsters you control; flip them face-down, then Set this card, but banish the target(s) and this card when they leave the field. You can only use 1 "Penguin Acrobatics" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Okay that's what I wanted to know why is there a put of Negating Effects though?

Just now, Zefra the Shaddoll Master said:

Okay that's what I wanted to know why is there a put of Negating Effects though?

flavour purposes, mostly. The idea of this card is that the monsters that can make use of it are those that are "good at acrobatics", or in other words, FLIP monsters or monsters that activate effects when they're flipped face-up, like some Penguins, Wall of Illusion, Ghostricks, etc. I'll be honest, I can't think right now of cards that could do something when they're flipped face-up if they don't have an effect that triggers at that moment, but there could be a certain instance. At any rate, that part of the effect is a little unneeded, again, it is mostly so it works nicely with the idea of the card.

The card is actually pretty great and a lot more balanced than you think. Book of Moon was called "the swiss knife of Yugioh" for a long time due to its versatility, but as it turns out, nowadays it is finally at 3 and rarely gets used anywhere, even if a deck uses a lot of Flips it isn't a must, and it seems even Goat Format players (2005 meta) don't really max out on it all that much anymore. So you don't need to be too worried about measuring up to Book of Moon.

I'd recommend increasing its target pool a little bit more by including "Flip Summon" in the text, helping stuff like Des Lacooda, Swarm of Scarabs, Swarm of Locusts, Stealth Bird, etc. Those monsters that flip themselves back down and need to be Flip Summoned, but aren't FLIP effects themselves. It really doesn't have much of a competitive edge since those have been pretty forgotten for some time xD

The next bit I recommend is that the second bullet make the "then flip it face-down" part optional. That'd make the effect negation part potentially stay. I can't think of a specific interaction but I like the idea of something that has a drawback effect getting it nullified.... or a quick flip-up of a card with a continuous effect that happens to also have a Flip effect so it checks out for "none of its effects are negated".

Hmm the card is a quick-play spell so it naturally is quick, and with a lack of timing specified, that means the GY retrieve effect is fully chainable xD
That's super fun to think about, and it actually plays into the control aspect of Penguins considering how 1 copy's journey from first use to getting banished you end up putting down up to 4 monsters, and the Penguin Synchro can then quick-flip them up.

I was gonna suggest turning it back into a something that can affect both sides, but that'd just help deck-out loops with switching control of a Morphing Jar to make it "an opponent's effect" and stuff like that.... so you are correct in your approach. xD

Gonna post my suggestions here:

Target 1 face-up monster you control which has an effect that activates when it is Flip Summoned or flipped face-up; activate that effect, also you can flip that target, face-down.
 Target 1 face-down monster you control; Either Flip Summon it, or flip it face-up, but negate its effects if it doesn't have an effect that activates when it is flipped face-up, then flip it face-down.
If this card is in your GY: You can target up to 2 face-up monsters you control; flip them face-down, then Set this card, but banish it when it leaves the field, and non-"Penguin" monsters targeted this way are banished when they leave the field. You can only use 1 "Penguin Acrobatics" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

4 hours ago, Sleepy said:

The card is actually pretty great and a lot more balanced than you think. Book of Moon was called "the swiss knife of Yugioh" for a long time due to its versatility, but as it turns out, nowadays it is finally at 3 and rarely gets used anywhere, even if a deck uses a lot of Flips it isn't a must, and it seems even Goat Format players (2005 meta) don't really max out on it all that much anymore. So you don't need to be too worried about measuring up to Book of Moon.

I'd recommend increasing its target pool a little bit more by including "Flip Summon" in the text, helping stuff like Des Lacooda, Swarm of Scarabs, Swarm of Locusts, Stealth Bird, etc. Those monsters that flip themselves back down and need to be Flip Summoned, but aren't FLIP effects themselves. It really doesn't have much of a competitive edge since those have been pretty forgotten for some time xD

The next bit I recommend is that the second bullet make the "then flip it face-down" part optional. That'd make the effect negation part potentially stay. I can't think of a specific interaction but I like the idea of something that has a drawback effect getting it nullified.... or a quick flip-up of a card with a continuous effect that happens to also have a Flip effect so it checks out for "none of its effects are negated".

Hmm the card is a quick-play spell so it naturally is quick, and with a lack of timing specified, that means the GY retrieve effect is fully chainable xD
That's super fun to think about, and it actually plays into the control aspect of Penguins considering how 1 copy's journey from first use to getting banished you end up putting down up to 4 monsters, and the Penguin Synchro can then quick-flip them up.

I was gonna suggest turning it back into a something that can affect both sides, but that'd just help deck-out loops with switching control of a Morphing Jar to make it "an opponent's effect" and stuff like that.... so you are correct in your approach. xD

Gonna post my suggestions here:

Target 1 face-up monster you control which has an effect that activates when it is Flip Summoned or flipped face-up; activate that effect, also you can flip that target, face-down.
 Target 1 face-down monster you control; Either Flip Summon it, or flip it face-up, but negate its effects if it doesn't have an effect that activates when it is flipped face-up, then flip it face-down.
If this card is in your GY: You can target up to 2 face-up monsters you control; flip them face-down, then Set this card, but banish it when it leaves the field, and non-"Penguin" monsters targeted this way are banished when they leave the field. You can only use 1 "Penguin Acrobatics" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

As always, thank you very much for the amazing detailed reply n.n

You're completely right about adding Flip Summoning. I was thinking that any effect that is related to a monster being flipped face-up was covered here, including every Flip Monster, but I forgot to consider that some effects specify "When this card is Flip Summoned", hence their effects won't apply if I only keep the flipped-face up part. So yeah, I'm loving all the suggestions, including the Penguin part, which  doesn't hurt the generic power of the card, but increases its power if used in Penguin Decks.

🐧

Archived