Pippola's Musical Introspection v1.2

Rayfield Lumina

1564866329_PippolasMusicalIntrospection(1).thumb.png.fb48babd9c7ed9702e2aceb2ef7d9887.png

Pippola's Musical Introspection

Continuous Spell

When this card is activated: You can add 1"Melodious", "Orcust", "Solfachord", "Symphonic Warrior" or "Trickstar" monster from your Deck to your hand. Each time a monster that belongs to the archetypes listed in this card's text is Summoned or activates its effect, place 1 Encore Counter on this card (max. 4 per turn). If a monster(s) that belongs to the archetypes listed in this card's text, and/or this card, would leave the field by your opponent's card effect: You can remove 3 Encore Counters from this card, then target 1 card on the field; it cannot leave the field until the end of this turn. If this card has 24 or more Encore Counters while you control 4 or more monsters, you win the Duel. You can only control 1 "Pippola's Musical Introspection".

Hey, friends, rejoice, for the 3rd Pippola card is here! I know, I know, since I posted the first Pippola card, you have been unable to rest well, wondering if I'd make more... then the second came, and it was a great day. But after having two, there was an emptiness in your heart. "WIll there ever be a third", you'd think. When eating, when going to the bathroom, during passionate nights... Please worry not, the object of desire has arrived.

But it does so in a pretty stupid card, if you ask me. Yeah, this card is not intended to be taken very seriously, like certain people with names that start with D, end with J, and perhaps has an A and an R somewhere around would do. For starters, this cards defies normal PSCT and mentions archetypes, which I guess should be avoided. Funnily enough, I did use another wording first, which said something like "a monster with any of the words above between quotation marks in its name", but that sounded ugly, and I said nah. It's also kinda hard to determine how dangerous this card would be. In essence, if everything goes wonderfully, 6 turns and your opponent is close to dying (and even with that, you need to control 4 monster to Tribute). That's 2 turns faster than Wave-Motion Cannon, but compared to it, it can defend itself and the members of the musical archetypes listed. So yeah, good card? Probably not. Flavourful? Hell yes. Cute? Dude, it's Pippola, don't ask.

C n' C exaggeratedly welcome, but remember, this card is not too serious, it's to have fun n.n

P.D. Thanks to Nyx, Itsu and Tinkerer which reminded me of some Musical-related archetypes I forgot about :)

I don't know about this one. Sure, there's some archetypes here that would desperately appreciate any support like this. Those being Melodious and Symphonic Warrior. I don't know what to say of Solfachord, as it is a recent archetype, and I don't know how much competitive presence it has (if any). The Main Deck Djinns also don't relate to music. Only the Xyz Djinn. Orcust REALLY doesn't need this. They can already do lots. Summon from the Deck. And even some searching. That last effect, I...more or less say the same thing I said in regards to each archetype. But I guess you could argue it's neutral in comparison. Personally, it'd be cool if it did something different for each archetype. But I understand it'd be a mouthful to fit into one card.

Umm there's 2 things I wanna note here, and both are related to the text.... you can shorten it.
First, you have too many "or". Just commas between them and an "or" before the last archetype listed should be enough.
Second, this is an arbitrary thing in the game: If your "effect" happens to be a "you win the Duel" kind of deal, the game usually classifies it as a "Win Condition" and does not treat it as an effect at all. You can check stuff like "Ghostrick Angel of Mischief", and you'll notice it doesn't use any colon/semi-colon formations and doesn't matter where in the text you state it, it is inherently and automatically impossible to negate. If you want to see a sample, I recall there was an old replay from YgoPro (a YouTube video from YGO4RealMen) where she actually wins under Skill Drain xD 
Duel starts at minute 7:20 here:

EDIT: And well, something tells me you want to know my thoughts on the card and not just fixes for textual stuff....
I think it supports too many archetypes at once there but it is neat xD
The payoff does not reward you for going over 4 pieces and I don't think the reactive nature of this makes it a little tame overall unless you are shooting for the win con, IDK but I think it is also walking a delicate path of balance there so I'm not sure how to suggest what to move at all xD

17 hours ago, Zefra Zamazenta said:

Fun Fact: Did you know I liked Orcust.

Uhhh, I didn't know xD        Why did you quote yourself, tho? lol

17 hours ago, Zefra Zamazenta said:

This is like Final Count Down.

Weeeeell... it has a win condition, but has a lot of different things.

17 hours ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

I don't know about this one. Sure, there's some archetypes here that would desperately appreciate any support like this. Those being Melodious and Symphonic Warrior. I don't know what to say of Solfachord, as it is a recent archetype, and I don't know how much competitive presence it has (if any). The Main Deck Djinns also don't relate to music. Only the Xyz Djinn. Orcust REALLY doesn't need this. They can already do lots. Summon from the Deck. And even some searching. That last effect, I...more or less say the same thing I said in regards to each archetype. But I guess you could argue it's neutral in comparison. Personally, it'd be cool if it did something different for each archetype. But I understand it'd be a mouthful to fit into one card.

Thanks for the feedback! Errrm, the card was supposed to be not be treated seriously, so this serious feedback took me off balance. I agree with your words, though. In essence, this card is sloppy: It's pretty hard to expect that, by supporting archetypes that are spread through about 1 million years of YGO, giving them the same support would be fair, because in terms of power, Orcust >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Symphonic Warriors, etc. Tbh, what I expected was some suggestions about the numbers of counters per turn and the number of counters for the win-con >_<''. Anywho, sad, but it's true only Xyz Djinns are musical related, so I removed them.

17 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Umm there's 2 things I wanna note here, and both are related to the text.... you can shorten it.
First, you have too many "or". Just commas between them and an "or" before the last archetype listed should be enough.
Second, this is an arbitrary thing in the game: If your "effect" happens to be a "you win the Duel" kind of deal, the game usually classifies it as a "Win Condition" and does not treat it as an effect at all. You can check stuff like "Ghostrick Angel of Mischief", and you'll notice it doesn't use any colon/semi-colon formations and doesn't matter where in the text you state it, it is inherently and automatically impossible to negate. If you want to see a sample, I recall there was an old replay from YgoPro (a YouTube video from YGO4RealMen) where she actually wins under Skill Drain xD 
Duel starts at minute 7:20 here:

EDIT: And well, something tells me you want to know my thoughts on the card and not just fixes for textual stuff....
I think it supports too many archetypes at once there but it is neat xD
The payoff does not reward you for going over 4 pieces and I don't think the reactive nature of this makes it a little tame overall unless you are shooting for the win con, IDK but I think it is also walking a delicate path of balance there so I'm not sure how to suggest what to move at all xD

Made the fixes in accordance to your suggestions, the ors are out. As per the win-con, you're completely right. I've normally used a comma, but since I added that Tribute 4 mons requirement, I figured it needed to be an activation of sorts. Fixed it, and also changed it a bit, since now it only requires 4+ monsters in control, and generic (which hits the flavour, but increases the card's power a tiiiiny bit).

Thank you

2 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Uhhh, I didn't know xD        Why did you quote yourself, tho? lol

Weeeeell... it has a win condition, but has a lot of different things.

Thanks for the feedback! Errrm, the card was supposed to be not be treated seriously, so this serious feedback took me off balance. I agree with your words, though. In essence, this card is sloppy: It's pretty hard to expect that, by supporting archetypes that are spread through about 1 million years of YGO, giving them the same support would be fair, because in terms of power, Orcust >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Symphonic Warriors, etc. Tbh, what I expected was some suggestions about the numbers of counters per turn and the number of counters for the win-con >_<''. Anywho, sad, but it's true only Xyz Djinns are musical related, so I removed them.

Made the fixes in accordance to your suggestions, the ors are out. As per the win-con, you're completely right. I've normally used a comma, but since I added that Tribute 4 mons requirement, I figured it needed to be an activation of sorts. Fixed it, and also changed it a bit, since now it only requires 4+ monsters in control, and generic (which hits the flavour, but increases the card's power a tiiiiny bit).

Thank you

What happened to the neither player could respond to the win effect.

Just now, Zefra Zamazenta said:

What happened to the neither player could respond to the win effect.

It's dead in the deepest depths of the deep. Sleepy pointed out that Win-cons do not activate and are impossible to negate, so that clause of mine was out of place. Removed it and now the card is a bit cleaner, I hope n.n

Just now, Zefra Zamazenta said:

Oh I didn't know you cannot negate win effects.

I had the fake assumption that, depending on the kind of effect, if it was "activated", it could be negated. But I was wrong, and perhaps to the point that there isn't even win-con effects in existence that activate. Actually, for the sake of being sure, I'll go check them all

*pause while Rayfield goes to Yugipedia to look at all  the Duel Winner Cards* *checks the 20 results, 13 monsters, 7 Spell/Traps"

Finished. Nope, not a single one activates. So yeah, Sleepy wins xD

• Rayfield Lumina changed the title to Pippola's Musical Introspection v1.2
1 hour ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

I love this pretty much as is especially with the balance of the counters. I guess one thing I wish could change is you can pay 3 counters to save one monster even if multiple would leave the field.

thanks, I'm really happy you liked it n.n

I honestly didn't think of that, it's actually a pretty good idea that should flexibilize the card and give it a tiny bump in power. *Thinks how to reword*

Alright, it was a bit tricky, but I made it. There's good news and bad news: Bad news is, it's an activation now, so it can be negated T_T. I didn't find a way to word that didn't sound too weird or unorthodox in order to keep the "instead" effect. The good news is, I took the protection to another level. Now it becomes permanent until the end of the turn, and not only that, but it also can catch opponent's cards. This should barely be used, but you never know, you might be able to make an opponent's card stay on the field no matter what, which is good to prevent the opponent from using something as material among some other -difficult- uses. Thanks Itsu-Itsu

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this effect's flavour is intended to be a musical resonance that creates a force field around the targeted card, preventing its destruction n.n

Good as a searcher for these archtypes, and because there can only be one on the field its a not too strong searcher, i think. Someone said final count down XD somehow yeah, but much like you said.... these six+ turns is a need and it has the saving options + the 4 monster needed on the field. I feel like other meta decks would still have no problem, except they draw their own turns like sh..! however, i would play it :D

9 hours ago, HonokaMadolche said:

Good as a searcher for these archtypes, and because there can only be one on the field its a not too strong searcher, i think. Someone said final count down XD somehow yeah, but much like you said.... these six+ turns is a need and it has the saving options + the 4 monster needed on the field. I feel like other meta decks would still have no problem, except they draw their own turns like sh..! 

At the very least, even if the win-con effect never applies, it's a Medallion of the Ice Barrier-like effect for all the listed archetype, and I guess that's plenty enough already xD. I've never been 100% convinced of the amounts in this card (4 counters max. per turn, 24 total, 4 monsters in field). I suppose the balance is kinda alright at this point.

9 hours ago, HonokaMadolche said:

however, i would play it :D

thanks, that's something I wanted to hear n.n

Pretty sure the word that koomy uses to refer to archetypes is "category" as seen in card like Onomatopaira.
No love for "Lyrilusc"? you meanie.
Not a fan of the win condition you dropped there.
Also this effect, "it cannot leave the field until the end of this turn" has no precedence, and can lead to silly plays by bypassing removal by maintenance costs and other mechanics. For example, I assume a card affected by this would not be eligible as Tribute for a Tribute Summon, or as material for an Extra Deck Summon, and would allow and Imperial Order to live another day if you don't have the LP to pay for it. Not that this is a bad or broken thing, just wanted to bring this up xD

56 minutes ago, Darj said:

Pretty sure the word that koomy uses to refer to archetypes is "category" as seen in card like Onomatopaira.
No love for "Lyrilusc"? you meanie.

Lyrilusk are music?!?
Not a fan of the win condition you dropped there.

:(
Also this effect, "it cannot leave the field until the end of this turn" has no precedence, and can lead to silly plays by bypassing removal by maintenance costs and other mechanics. For example, I assume a card affected by this would not be eligible as Tribute for a Tribute Summon, or as material for an Extra Deck Summon, and would allow and Imperial Order to live another day if you don't have the LP to pay for it. Not that this is a bad or broken thing, just wanted to bring this up xD

I think it's supposed to mean can't be tributed, destroyed, used as material, banished, returned to the hand, or shuffled into the deck but that's too many words. You're right on the nose of functionality.

Aren't Lyrilusc singers or something? IDK, I'm assuming from the name of the archetype and their Xyz Monsters.

Anyway, want to say the card looks fun and solid. Supporting archetypes that otherwise are unrelated is an amusing concept. One can't go wrong with ROTA/Tenki effects, and the "protection" effect actually can also be disruptive if you use it on an opponent's card, for example to block a monster from being used as material. Really unique stuff going on here.

Archived