Nyx's Spooky Card Contest

The Nyx Avatar

AbWYBtv.png

It's that time of the year, once again...

Just as before:
READ before submitting any card

SO...what is the criteria for this second contest? What card should be designed? Well...a spooky card! Now, what would I deem s̴̡̪͎̫̹̣̦̤͍̪̖̥̏̀̄ͅp̵̘̈̔̏̊̾̒͛ȏ̸̱̩͔̘̰̫͉͠ọ̷̡̼̳̜̦̰͇̠̓̌͌̔̎̕k̵̡̹͙͖͛͗̾ẏ̴̮͔̩̪͈͋͠ in a custom card?

Well, I will go into further detail in that in the grading part. But just know that "spooky" does not necessarily mean "scary" or "disturbing" in my book. It's a more general term.

No entry requirements necessary. Just a minimum of three users participating to get the contest going. It's not much of a contest if there's only one or two users.

Deadline

Deadline will not go into effect until this thread gets at least three participants. If this thread fails to get at least three after a great amount of time, I'll just lock this thread.

Prize

More or less the same as before. Header Images.

Tiers:

1st place: Any image of your choice! Well, provided I approve of it. Content that is NSFW would be denied, for example.

2nd place: You get to choose between a cool, cute, or attractive image for your Header Image. But...not quite the image itself.

3rd place: I'll just offer an image for your Header Image.

If you don't like the Header Image, you can request I remove it.

Judgment:

I will actually be altering the scale for this contest. I feel it was a little to general or vague last time. So I will be taking away a point or two from Practicality.

How will your card submission be judged? It will be judged on an out of 10 scale. This scale depends on these factors:

3: Practicality

It doesn't matter how flavorful or cool-looking aesthetically your card is...if it's not something that people would want to use in real life. Now I'm not saying to make a broken card. But just something that is attractive from a practical gameplay standpoint. Which, brings me to my next Point criteria

3: Balance

Your card should be at least somewhat realistic, and not something that would be on a banlist within a month. So don't go and make a Dragon or Super Saiyan with high ATK, a blanket of protection, and an instant win condition effect. You will not yield a single one of these 3 points if you do something like this.

1: OCG

Is your card written properly? If you are unsure, ask another user who has experience on the card game. Or look it up. Proper wording yields half the point, and proper spelling yields the other half. The only exception is the card name. For example, if the card is named "Phantastic Girl", or "Synchkuro Drago", I can write it off as wordplay for the monster's name. But if it's name is reprised in the card effect, it must be spelled the same as well.

1: Art

Art's not absolutely necessary, unless you want to aim for a perfect score. Half of this point will depend on whether or not I like the art. The other half will depend on how clear it is. It doesn't matter how majestic your dragon or how cool your demon lady is if it's one of the crustiest jpegs I've seen in a while, or has visible garbage area.

1:"Spookyness"

Okay. So...what do I deem "spooky"? Horror or horror-themed. Horror would include art that is eerie, scary, or disturbing. Horror-themed however, means elements that relate to horror, rather than elements that invoke horror. Things like witches, masked figures, jack-o-lanterns, ect. They don't have to be scary. You want a cute anime witch as your art? That fits the bill for horror-themed. It works just as well for spookyness as a horrid monster for art would. But...be mindful of what I perceive as horror or horror-themed. And I URGE you to ask me for clarity. For example, let's say you want to use a yokai, or some other Japanese spirit. I'm not gonna give ANY points for spookyness if it's just some rando from the Edo period. No, no, no, no! I want EFFORT! The Jorogumo? THAT totally invokes spookyness.

1: Do I like how it plays?

I URGE anyone who participates to ask me what I like in card playstyles. I don't feel that was done enough in the last contest. And regardless, I don't feel I elaborated enough when asked. And I want everyone to have a good shot in this contest.

Other:

Anything else? Yes. Don't submit cards that you've already posted elsewhere. If I find a card, that you posted in a different thread submitted here, I will give you chance to post a real submission. Else, you risk disqualification.

Also, don't be lazy and repost an already existing card under a new name. Like copying Revival Jam's effect, but using a different Type, Attribute, name, and art. The only time it's permitted to use the exact same effect is if real life cards have done it multiple times, like Rainbow Flower and Jinzo #7, or Lancer Dragonute and Dark Driceratops. But...I urge you not to. As those would make for boring submissions.

Also, don't post in this thread if you're not participating in the contest, or considering joining. I will do what I see fit with your replies if you aren't participating at all. My only exception is if you have any questions before you'd want to join. If you have a genuine question, you are free to ask that here.

Well, with all that said, let us begin.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

Oh does it have to be a monster I was thinking of a Quick play spell called "Taking your Place"

No. You could make a Spell/Trap.

6 hours ago, Dokutah Gory, Woundslinger said:

What kind of playstyles did you like? I probably try to make a spooky take of that style if possible

Well, I like cards that banish, cards that negate, and cards that draw.

Would it help if I provide some examples, to better convey what I like?

I kinda had to wrack my brain a lil' bit for this one not gonna lie. As soon as i saw that there was a spooky contest going on, i immediatly thought "Man, i gotta submit a Ghostrick card" given that i just adore the archetype. My problem was, i kind of already did card posts making up cards that tried to improve the deck, and on top of that Konami already has done their own take on trying to solve Ghostrick's main problems (Quite skillfully so with Ghostrick Shot, and not so much on Trick or Treat) which kind of put me on a corner when trying to come up with something to give to the archetype. My first idea was a Field Spell, probably themed around the good ol' scuffed hallways chase kind of scene straight out of scooby doo, but at the same time, having to deal with all the massive block of text it would probably end up being after dealing with all the generic eff that all Ghostrick Fields have didnt feel too appealing. So, after thinking for a while and trying to approach the matter of how to best make a Ghostrick support card, this is what i managed to come up with

Ghostrick Falling Cobweb

Trap Card

Target a number of cards on the field up to the number of "Ghostrick" cards you control (Max 2): Set them face down, also, if those cards cannot be set by this effect, destroy them instead

For a card with an effect as simple as this, reading up how the PSCT work was kind of a nightmare given that the intended use included, being able to target a Link monster and just blow it up. Reason was, on the original text (The "If those..." line was separated from the first eff with a period) i am fairly certain a Link Monster would be an ilegal target, like what happens with Book of Moon. And learning how Book of Moon cannot legally target Links (Or tokens, i guess that might matter too) made me just doubt myself every time i wrote the card since i wasnt sure the effect would resolve as intended. I went for an "also" conjunctive in the end because i have the gut feeling using a Sequential conjunctive would somehow mess the target eligibility, given that the first Book of Moon-esque effect wouldnt be able to legally target a Link, and also because given that the card pretty much intends for the first effect to flop any conjuctive that needed the first effect to resolve for the whole thing to work wasnt an option. One of the intended interactions, which im not sure works, would be what would happen if you were to target an already set card. Would that work as intended and pop the card given that you cannot set an already set card? Idk. Ignoring the regular "i hate how yugioh psct works" talk, here's the general reasoning of the card, as well as the flavoring

So, the general idea of this card is kind of to follow the more or less widespread trait most Ghostrick cards (Specially Shot that card is hella good) share, which would be, being absolutely harmless turn one and a nightmare to deal with in like turn 5 to 7 or something terrible like that. Imagine, your opponent manages to draw their best, unsearchable turn one card plus 2 monsters that happen to be of the same level. What could they posibly do with this absolute highroll of a hand?

Set up a single pop and pass. (Y'know, Shot SS a Ghostrick, NS another one, Xyz into any Ghostrick guy, Rank Up into Angel of Mischief, search Cobweb and end in Mischief Cobweb pass. Ya can highroll more with like, a Mummy as one of your monsters and using the extra NS for a Nekomata, but still)

Yeah, much like Ghostricks, this card aint archieving that much on your first turn. To compensate, if you survive for a long enough time it is kind of a pain in the ass to deal with. To begin with, Ghostricks can Non-HOPT search it Angel to get all 3 copies going quite fast, plus, ya can get them back to hand whenever your Xyzs (1 and 3) go to the GY and trigger their floatings effs (Including by being detached). Fairy can also re-set this card in the GY upon being flipped up. Plus, on an established board, the singular pop gets turned into 2 as more Ghostricks are face up. 

So, ya get the general idea. First turn, this card allows Ghostricks to access any interaction (Given that Trick does nothing and Scare doesnt work on most Angel of Mischief turn one lines). After that, it further improves Ghostrick's grind game by giving them a tool to actually break down boards instead of just stalling by flipping them face down, and by giving them a card that's actuall worth searching and looping

Now, one of the inconveniences of this card is that, unlike some other Ghostrick adjacent cards like Vanish, this does not count Face Down cards as well to met its requirements. So, to be able to target things with this card, ya would need to first Scare, get a Festival, a Field Spell, a Go Round, or maybe avoid flipping down all your Ghostrick/using Doll. That, besides preventing the effect from getting bloated, makes so your boards need to be a tad more developed before ya are able to access 2 Cobwebs for 2, as ya need to redirect some advantage in the form of your searchs and recycles into some of your other, worse cards (Or just plain not play some) just to be able to met the requirements of Cobweb. I think between that minor hurdle and the general issues that Ghostricks have should balance out the lack of a OPT. After all, if ya let Ghostrick get into a scenario where they havent died after setting a miserable board first turn, have 2 names on field, and have 2 free ways to access S/Ts (Like Fairy and Angel on board), then it kind of your own fault to be fair

Since i dont have particularly good artistic/editing skills, i dont really have an image. For flavour, the one thing i managed to imagine would be a cartoonish cobweb falling on top of 2 Ghostrick monsters (Yeti and Yuki Onna? Witch and Nekomata? Idk mmate), with one of them just, cowering while the other faints on the spot, kind of to represent both how the card forced cards to set and what happens to those that "didnt react in time", aka, couldnt be set. Not my best work, but it kinda does the job

That would be about it for my card, hope ya enjoy it

18 minutes ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

I think I did something wrong

TYP.jfif 75.24 kB · 2 downloads

Yeah...don't attach files in threads. It doesn't work.

The Beta Card Maker has the option of providing you with a share link. So you can post your cards easier.

10 hours ago, Dokutah Gory, Woundslinger said:

yes please

Alrighty! Here are some examples of cards I like:

image.png.f15d15cb2c4e41dc6dc17ed8e4feabae.png

Simple, but effective banishing.

image.png.dff8b24742a902bf1130dac92ca4d762.png

I have how many banished cards?

Gren: "It's free real estate."

image.thumb.png.41490225760d1f7c931d712607342928.png

I like cards that let you draw.

image.png.672061a131db5f70defe0f0e68393928.png

He's no Envoy of the Beginning, but he's pretty cool.

image.png.ae2cef0c11d17fabe781cb81ad299a98.png

Mostly for that last effect.

image.png.9312c572af7adbff74f9ec35294eae95.png

image.png.1e0a5d5ce38bf46d130f2e663e285e9f.png

Let me know if you'd like more examples.

6c78380d8f45.jpg

Take Your Place

Quick Play Spell

Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this card's activation. Send all cards in your deck to your GY, return all banished cards to their owner's deck, then banish face-down your Hand, GY, and monsters on your field, then draw a number of cards equal to the number of cards banished from your hand, then special summon a number of level 4 or lower monsters from your deck up to the number of monsters banished from your field by this effect. You cannot activate the effects of cards in your GY for the rest of the turn except this card. At the start of the end phase of this card's activation: return all cards in both player's GY to the deck.

A classic tale of the dead become the living and the living become the dead.

9 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

3c20ed75c88e.jpg

Take Your Place

Quick Play Spell

Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this card's activation. Send all cards in your deck to your GY, then banish your Hand, GY, and monsters on your field, then draw a number of cards equal to the number of cards banished from your hand, then special summon a number of level 4 or lower monsters from your deck up to the number of monsters banished from your field by this effect.

A classic tale of the dead become the living and the living become the dead.

its a good card but I have a question you say here that you should send all the cards in your deck to the gy then you will banish your gy then how can you draw and summon! and also this is a risky card that leads you to a deck out lose

Doesnt necesarily lead  to a deck out so much as it inmediatly causes one (Ya do the whole banish your deck thing, then you draw, but you dont have any cards left to do so). Even if it gets some degree of changes to prevent the decking out situation (Like, do half your deck or something? Perform the draw/ss bit before grabbing your entire deck and dumping it to the GY) the problem probably still is just shoving a metric ton of monsters in eff when they hit the GY (Like Glow-Up Bloom) or when banished (Like Thunder Dragons) and plusing to infinity with this card as if you played a That Grass Looks Greener (Since the card is also filled with thens, ironically, your opponent Droll and Lock-ing you would prevent this card from killing you by deckout. Funny. Actually, i think Lancea also archieves that. Ya dont get the SS from deck, but you prevent having to banish your field, GY and Hand while preventing the deckout loss. Found the combo lol). I mean, given that it is a then conjunctive between the cards being send to the GY and being banished, you could block the banish effect with, idk, a Lancea and get to play just a better That Grass Looks Greener. Getting to SS a bunch of level 4s without any restrictions around what you can summon its also kind of absurdly strong and potentially exploitable if it wasnt for the whole "i dont have a deck left to summon from". Wouldnt be surprised if this card were to be still somewhat problematic if ya worded it in such a way where the draw happens at the end of the turn (As in, ya get to do a bunch of crazy combos with the banish pile and the SS'ed monsters, but if by the end of turn you havent won, lose to deckout). Weird card. Exists in a weird limbo between half of it immediatly losing you the game and half of it being potentially too strong to be legal

8 hours ago, GALAXY DUELIST said:

I made this card from a time ago it was meant to be a ghostrick support 

35c5c2c1ac2c.thumb.jpg.1bb328f7206bba69462aecafaf23b2bb.jpg

This  card makes me angry, on so many different levels. Im sorry if im a tad harsh on my opinions for this card, but to be honest, Ghostrick is one of my favorite Archetypes and seeing this kind of support just, peeves me to no end. In short, i have 2 problems with this card. 1, it completely disregards the entire archetype's playstyle, and 2, it doesnt really archieve anything the archetype couldnt already do

Lets start with the first point. Ghostricks are historically an archetype that struggles a lot to set up the monsters on field it needs to be able to access their somewhat powerful Xyzs, and in general, the archetype has a ton of problems flooding the board. Plus, if ya had multiple monsters, in most scenarios you would rather go into your Xyzs lines rather that keep them on board to hope ya can reach the threshold to be able to summon the card, further slowing down how much it would take for you to be able to summon this dude. An Xyz line, like Alucard's for example, is worth a Pop, an S/T search, and adding back to hand any 1 Ghostrick on GY. Why would you ever not make the line to save up for this card? Even in the remote scenario where in like, turn 5, ya manage to get 4 Ghostricks on field, this card is a non searchable main deck monster. Ya need to draw it, and due to their high level, your only monster searcher, Jiangshi, would never be able to search this card, making so getting this to the field is extremely rare, given that you'd need both to archieve a rather uncommon board state for the archetype AND hard draw the card (Or maybe like, Foolish Burial it, and then use an Xyz's floating eff to add it back. Not particularly good)

Still, lets assume you somehow manage to gather all your resources over to turn 5~7 and you summon this dude. What do you get out of it? Absolutely nothing. 2 of this card's effs are essentially copies of Werewolf and Skeleton, but, big surprise, the only redeeming quality of those monsters is being LV3 for Alucard plays, so that doesnt matter even in the slightest. The ability to hit face downs even while the Field Spells are live and not be flipped face down by Museum is decent, but given how bad Field Spells are, and how Links are a thing, ya could, y'know, not play the Field Spells in the first place and use like, maybe a Ghoul set up since you're starved for LV3s to play anyways as your way to beat over big dudes. The effect of flipping down monsters attacking Ghostricks is neat, but after tributing four bodies to get this boy on the field, the only thing left to protect would be your 5k Unnaffected beater, which is rarely necessary, and in the one scenario where it is necessary (We'll talk about that one latter) IT DOESNT EVEN DO ANYTHING. At best, lets assume, you somehow have one Ghostrick left on field to protect. Ya know what card Ghostricks play that can be used to flip face down exactly one monster attacking one of your Ghostricks? Go Round. It doesnt add anything new the deck couldnt do. I guess it's better than Go Round because ya can use it more than once per turn, but A), Go Round isnt particularly good, B) Go Round can be used beffore attack declaration in cases where it would be relevant (A la Utopia the Lightning, to bring back an ol' one) and C) Go Round doesnt require massive ammounts of set up

The other two effects, while slightly better, still are nowhere near good enough to justify playing a brick that requires this many resources. First, the Board wipe. While in one hand, yes, a non-targetting non-destruction board wipe is good, its nothing the deck couldnt already do as of now. You see, Ghostricks already have access to another card that can do the same, AA Zeus. Your standard Xyz line (Or maybe a random revived Alucard you got with Shot + self attach, or Shot revive Alu, Attach into Alu, Rank up into Angel, Detach Alu for eff, Attach into Angel, go into Zeus) can be Ranked Up into a 2 mat Zeus, or, if you forgo to use the effect of your first Xyz (Or it doesnt have a good one, like Socuteboss or Dullanhan) and use Angel of Mischief's eff to attach a card from hand into itself, a 4 mat one. Ya can even make a 6 mat Zeus if ya choose to not use the detach effect of either Xyzs, have a Shot in GY (Which you're likely to have, given that Shot is your main combo piece to go into Xyzs), and attach with Angel. So, providing a boardwipe on summon for 4 monsters on field on a Main Deck card aint that good for the archetype when they can do the same for 2 monsters on field, plus while at it on most scenarios, and do so with purely Extra Deck monsters. Ya also have to have in mind that Zeus is a Quick Effect boardwipe, not a On Summon one. I guess both are hard to negate, with one being an Unnaffected bungus and the other being chainable multiple times per chain, so that's the only area where Zeus isnt outright better than this card. Still, there is no reason to play King while Zeus is an available option. There are other details like Zeus nuking your own field, but, lets be honest, if ya made Zeus you would have already far exceeded your quota of monsters summoned that turn, so ya wouldnt have anything to blow up except for your Ghostrick S/Ts that were turned of by not having any set cards anyways

And finally, the most important point. This card dies to Accesscode talker. Accesscode can beat over a 5k Attack Unnafected bungus with no problem, as we saw with A.I.s, the effect to flip it face down on attack dec does nothing since Accesscode is a Link monster, and unlike this card pretty much every deck can make an Accesscode. So, not only this card is extremely hard to summon, its unwieldy, consumes a lot of resources, and ultimately does nothing the deck cant already do, it also dies to one of the most common generic boss monsters out there. 

Yeah i really dont like this card. Disregards a lot of the Ghostrick playstyle and design choices and doesnt really provide anything to the deck. Plus, i guess it has a lack of PSCT, but who cares about that last bit its a custo,

I think I have one

The Man in The Mist.jpeg

1 Tuner 

Monsters can not effect monsters on their own side. Once per turn, destroy one monster on the field. This card gains one dispersal counter (max 5). When this card gains 5 dispersal counters this card gains 5000 ATK, and these effects: "If this card is destroyed by battle, destroy all monsters on the field. You can lose 5 dispersal counters and send all monsters on the opponents side of the field to the top of your deck. After you lose 5 dispersal counters, you gain 1 insanity counter." This card gains 2000 ATK per insanity counter. If this card has two insanity counters, it gains these effects, "This card cannot be destroyed by battle. If this card is targeted for battle, negate the attack and change the target to an opponent on the monsters field or a direct attack to the opponent if the opponent has no monsters.

10 hours ago, GALAXY DUELIST said:

I made this card from a time ago it was meant to be a ghostrick support 

35c5c2c1ac2c.thumb.jpg.1bb328f7206bba69462aecafaf23b2bb.jpg

19 minutes ago, PETER CURRAN said:

I think I have one

The Man in The Mist.jpeg

1 Tuner 

Monsters can not effect monsters on their own side. Once per turn, destroy one monster on the field. This card gains one dispersal counter (max 5). When this card gains 5 dispersal counters this card gains 5000 ATK, and these effects: "If this card is destroyed by battle, destroy all monsters on the field. You can lose 5 dispersal counters and send all monsters on the opponents side of the field to the top of your deck. After you lose 5 dispersal counters, you gain 1 insanity counter." This card gains 2000 ATK per insanity counter. If this card has two insanity counters, it gains these effects, "This card cannot be destroyed by battle. If this card is targeted for battle, negate the attack and change the target to an opponent on the monsters field or a direct attack to the opponent if the opponent has no monsters.

Um...are you two sure you want these to be your submissions for this contest?

12 hours ago, GALAXY DUELIST said:

its a good card but I have a question you say here that you should send all the cards in your deck to the gy then you will banish your gy then how can you draw and summon! and also this is a risky card that leads you to a deck out lose

11 hours ago, drowsyCoffee said:

Doesnt necesarily lead  to a deck out so much as it inmediatly causes one (Ya do the whole banish your deck thing, then you draw, but you dont have any cards left to do so)

I was missing a clause that was in the other file and as per the description you switch every "Live" card with the "Forgotten". It is supposed to swap all your banished cards with the live game.

Even if it gets some degree of changes to prevent the decking out situation (Like, do half your deck or something? Perform the draw/ss bit before grabbing your entire deck and dumping it to the GY) the problem probably still is just shoving a metric ton of monsters in eff when they hit the GY (Like Glow-Up Bloom) or when banished (Like Thunder Dragons) and plusing to infinity with this card as if you played a That Grass Looks Greener (Since the card is also filled with thens, ironically, your opponent Droll and Lock-ing you would prevent this card from killing you by deckout. Funny. Actually, i think Lancea also archieves that. Ya dont get the SS from deck, but you prevent having to banish your field, GY and Hand while preventing the deckout loss. Found the combo lol). I mean, given that it is a then conjunctive between the cards being send to the GY and being banished, you could block the banish effect with, idk, a Lancea and get to play just a better That Grass Looks Greener.

That would all be great if I didn't say neither player can respond to this card. Spell Speed 4!

Getting to SS a bunch of level 4s without any restrictions around what you can summon its also kind of absurdly strong and potentially exploitable if it wasnt for the whole "i dont have a deck left to summon from".

(as previously stated the "no deck" part is now fixed) yes it is powerful, but it is a one for one trade and you are left with few resources without a lot of setup.

Wouldnt be surprised if this card were to be still somewhat problematic if ya worded it in such a way where the draw happens at the end of the turn (As in, ya get to do a bunch of crazy combos with the banish pile and the SS'ed monsters, but if by the end of turn you havent won, lose to deckout). Weird card. Exists in a weird limbo between half of it immediatly losing you the game and half of it being potentially too strong to be legal.

Can I get a revised review with the 2 new pieces of info?

also Nyx do you mind if we give advice because I normally hold back on doing that until the end of contests but... do you mind?

Archived