Nyx's Spooky Card Contest

The Nyx Avatar

I'd like to cancel this submission and throw in a new one (in post down below). It's just a personal reason - I don't like this card, despite Drowsey's very warm analysis and review.

I hope the spoiler works, for archiving. 

EDIT: slight PSCT clarification to avoid unintentional interactions, the written version is updated but not the image version, so please refer to that when checking what my card does.

---------

Throwing my hat in the ring.

Name: "Twice Forgotten, Twice Recited, Once Finished"

Type: Continuous Spell

Text:

Can only be activated at the start of your Main Phase 1 by banishing 1 card from your hand, also, you cannot activate other Spell effects the turn you activate this card. Once per turn, during your Standby Phase, you must banish 1 card from your hand, then place a "FINAL" counter on this card (max. 5), or this card is destroyed. When the 5th "FINAL" counter is placed on this card, if "Destiny Board" and 4 "Spirit Message" cards with different names are banished, you win the duel. Otherwise destroy this card. You can only control 1 "Twice Forgotten, Twice Recited, Once Finished".

099879dfa022.jpg

Design Notes (Fluff):

"Tales forgotten are being recited once again - 'tis an ill omen..."

Creepiest thing I remember from the series is that one duel where the guy plays the destiny board cards, so I tried to emulate the tension/horror a bit better compared to the "inevitability" the strategy is currently going for. These are abstract concepts that are difficult to put a finger on, so I hope I hit the mark.

The art in this case played a big role in the naming of the card, which is good because it ended being far less generic then I'd originally intended, and quite a bit more in line with abstract horror themes.

The "Twice" references the card's intended role as a plan B of sorts - a harmony to the melody of the main goal of completing the ritual. Twice-Twice-Once counts to five (five destiny board cards, five turns, etc.)

Mechanical Notes (Crunch):

It's worth noting that I despise alternate win cons, so this is sort of an attempt make one that won't see play... but could see some fringe nostalgia fueled play.

The card has some big down-sides to play - no pots or lightning storms or feather dusters etc. the turn you activate it, it's a -7 over the course of 5 turn; but on the bright side, you can use whatever alternative method you want to banish the destiny and message cards by it's due time (before or while it's face up). 

I don't think any think any card should unilaterally and the game, which is why it doesn't make you lose if you fail the win con. Just try again.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus christ the theming and flavoring on this card is just really well executed, the whole thing has an ominous as all hell vibe, i kinda dig it. Other than that, it exists in a weird middle ground between being just a straight up better Destiny Board and a straight up worse one. In one hand, it doesnt clog up your zones, ya have less targets that you have to figure out how to protect, and ya dont have to run the absolutely terrible card that Dark Sanctuary is just for the sake of having space  to set your floodgates and the like that you'll need to stall the game until activation. On the other, man it is miserable to have to play 5 garnets in order to play this card, even though technically it might be the quickest of the stall wincons at 10 turn min (With Wave Motion (Without burn support) at 16 and Final Countdown at 20) that is a hell of a downside for a card to have. I would argue not having "Destiny Board" in the name and not accessing the support the deck has would be detrimental, but lets face it, the support aint really that good, ya have a Searcher that requires a discard, a Field Spell that is terrible but you are kind of forced to play due to your deck being trash, and a trap card that is mainly useful to advance the clock, which could be good, but wouldnt do anything for this card. So, yeah i think that keeping the ominous as all hell name is well worth it. Mabe ya could have one of the good ol "This card is treated as X" clauses? Ya could even turn down your garnet count from 5 to 4 if that clause was an Always one, since it would count the banish pile and ya could just banish a copy of itself. The neg advantage side of the card doesnt feel that bad if ya consider just how many absolutely garbage cards ya would have to play instead tbh, like Dark Sanctuary. Not being able of playing spells during the turn ya get it, on the other hand, is way more annoying. Sure, a deck like this would probably be made of 90% floodgates, aka, traps, but at the same time man does it hurt to not have access to your Dualitys, your Prosperitys and your Demises in decks like this. Then again, ya get to use Mine x Backrow on this one unlike pure who needs to do shenanigans managing S/T space and Sanctuary to afford doing so, so id say its a fair trade off, setting Mine AND the spell at the same time could be dangerous. In fact, the ability to include Mine is kind of why i dont really feel that bothered by the constant minus, as card advantage as a concept really doesnt hold for long under Mine. If anything, the only downside of mine would be restricting your options for ways to get all the names banished. The first card that comes to mind to manage to pull of all that banishing would be Inferno Tempest + Necroface for peak degenerate gameplay, but chances are probably something like Golden Sarcophagus probably would end up being better over. Even if ya get the cards to hand before triggering the wincon, ya could simply just immediatly banish it

All in all, the card feels a tad unwieldy, but given that it is a Win effect, that is to be expected. It seems to be quite well positioned in the scale between being restrictive enough to not be a viable option, but loose enough for it to be doable if ya really feel like being an asshole. Which, to be fair, tends to be the most common posture towards alternate wincons and FTKs right now. The whole "ya will lose more often than not unless you're Jeff Leonard, but if ya really feel like playing this garbage, go for it". I kinda like it tbh, of all the submisions so far, including mine, i think this one is by far my favorite, it really feels like it makes the most of the contest premise. Honestly, im cheering for ya, good luck mate

14 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Here's my entry:

Hostess_of_Terror_-_Spooky_.thumb.png.a0e6ff9a420877ecfb64659f71aad91c.png

Hostess of Terror - Spooky

DARK                                   Level 3

Zombie / Tuner / Effect

If you control no monsters, or if your opponent controls more monsters than you do: You can banish this card from your hand; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Zombie or Fiend monster from your Deck in Attack Position or face-down Defense Position, but you cannot Special Summon monsters, except Zombie or Fiend monsters, for the rest of this turn. While this card is banished, if a monster you control is destroyed by your opponent's card and sent to the GY: You can banish it; Special Summon this card. 

ATK 1500/ DEF 500

Looks like a hella sweet card for Zombie goodstuff tbh, it can pretty much act as a replacement Shiranui Solitaire for the sake of getting Uni Zombie that dodges a few interactions that Solitaire is vulnerable to, like Effect Veiler (Though it doesnt matter as much giving that Uni himself is weak to those, the big deal here is not consuming your NS on a deck with a bunch of NS starters) as well as being a way to get Zombie World through Banshee lines or if it is already up Baledroch through Glow Up Bloom ones. Best thing is that, at least, for that deck specifically, even though that would improve the deck a lot (As for example, not using up your NS means that you can play both Gozuki and Uni Zombie, if you draw any and this one, ya can use this one to get the other, and if it gets interacted, just normal summon the other to avoid hitting the HOPT limit. Or ya can use one to get World through Banshee, the other to get Bale through Bloom, and then use your 2 guys for like, a Grozer, since it is the only legal lv8 negator within the xenolock. Rip Borreload Savage. Or, y'know, be greedy and make a Vampire Sucker, given that Gozer is just yet another Monster Negate instead of an Omni, and with Bale on field being yet another Monster Negate that cant negate effs from hand, ya dont need something like that so much) the improvements would still pretty much be contained within what one could consider a healthy, rogue to t2 deck, which is ideal for things like this. The ability to get face up guys from deck would also improve Ghostricks a lot, given that LV3 are the Zombies of the gang (With 2 being Spellcasters, and 1 beign Fiends) it could be used pretty regularly for your best lines, the ones that go through Alucard. Plus, if ya have extra gas on tank, ya could get something like a Mummy, so on top of the NS ya use to get your second 3 going ya could NS a Nekomusume for a Floodgate, or set a Fairy for recursion. Really sweet for the deck, and with it on top of Shot for consistency, Ghostricks maybe could finally be released from T-set pass prison. Plus, if ya get it alongside Shot, ya could start your combo with this card getting you into an Alucard into Mischief line, then use the Shot to reborn the Alucard and go into yet another Mischief for yet another Ghostrick S/T, probably using the second trigger of Alu to save the shot since neither of Alucard's effs are HOPTs. Probably terrible since Ghostrick S/Ts dont do tha much, but still, its hype seeing the deck actually perform some plays. Really good job there mate. This card being an LV 3 might also matter for Ghostricks every so often thanks to the eff to summon back itself if one of yer monsters get popped, but im a tad more doubtful about that one tbh

There are probably other combos ya can archieve with this, like, some synchro stuff with Plaguespreader, but the xeno lock should be enough to keep those things under control. There is also Mayakashi and Shiranui stuff that probably gets benefitted by it, but honestly, i cannot be bothered to read those cards to see if there is any big potential synergies or combos laying there

4 hours ago, drowsyCoffee said:

Looks like a hella sweet card for Zombie goodstuff tbh, it can pretty much act as a replacement Shiranui Solitaire for the sake of getting Uni Zombie that dodges a few interactions that Solitaire is vulnerable to, like Effect Veiler (Though it doesnt matter as much giving that Uni himself is weak to those, the big deal here is not consuming your NS on a deck with a bunch of NS starters) as well as being a way to get Zombie World through Banshee lines or if it is already up Baledroch through Glow Up Bloom ones. Best thing is that, at least, for that deck specifically, even though that would improve the deck a lot (As for example, not using up your NS means that you can play both Gozuki and Uni Zombie, if you draw any and this one, ya can use this one to get the other, and if it gets interacted, just normal summon the other to avoid hitting the HOPT limit. Or ya can use one to get World through Banshee, the other to get Bale through Bloom, and then use your 2 guys for like, a Grozer, since it is the only legal lv8 negator within the xenolock. Rip Borreload Savage. Or, y'know, be greedy and make a Vampire Sucker, given that Gozer is just yet another Monster Negate instead of an Omni, and with Bale on field being yet another Monster Negate that cant negate effs from hand, ya dont need something like that so much) the improvements would still pretty much be contained within what one could consider a healthy, rogue to t2 deck, which is ideal for things like this. The ability to get face up guys from deck would also improve Ghostricks a lot, given that LV3 are the Zombies of the gang (With 2 being Spellcasters, and 1 beign Fiends) it could be used pretty regularly for your best lines, the ones that go through Alucard. Plus, if ya have extra gas on tank, ya could get something like a Mummy, so on top of the NS ya use to get your second 3 going ya could NS a Nekomusume for a Floodgate, or set a Fairy for recursion. Really sweet for the deck, and with it on top of Shot for consistency, Ghostricks maybe could finally be released from T-set pass prison. Plus, if ya get it alongside Shot, ya could start your combo with this card getting you into an Alucard into Mischief line, then use the Shot to reborn the Alucard and go into yet another Mischief for yet another Ghostrick S/T, probably using the second trigger of Alu to save the shot since neither of Alucard's effs are HOPTs. Probably terrible since Ghostrick S/Ts dont do tha much, but still, its hype seeing the deck actually perform some plays. Really good job there mate. This card being an LV 3 might also matter for Ghostricks every so often thanks to the eff to summon back itself if one of yer monsters get popped, but im a tad more doubtful about that one tbh

There are probably other combos ya can archieve with this, like, some synchro stuff with Plaguespreader, but the xeno lock should be enough to keep those things under control. There is also Mayakashi and Shiranui stuff that probably gets benefitted by it, but honestly, i cannot be bothered to read those cards to see if there is any big potential synergies or combos laying there

Ty for the positive feedback and astoundingly comprehensive elaboration of how this card would play!! To be perfectly honest my knowledge of the meta is somewhat limited and I often create my cards with a sense of balance that falls into the realm of "OMG, let's hope I'm not missing some card that causes an OP combo here" xD. In cases like this I like to consult my friend Sleepy lol, but you're hella knowledgeable as well, Drowsy-san :)

That's a mood, whenever ya make any card that's even remotely generic, even if you're familiar with the level/typing/attribute it can be hella easy to get worried, it is very easy for things like that to somehow blow up. I've made a lot of Warrior centric customs and knowing next to nothing about the actual effects or rulings of their toolbox cards had me terrified lol. Thankfully, at least for this specific combination im a tad more experienced with, given that i've spammed Ghostricks and Zombie Goodstuff decks on custom DB lobbies for pretty much this entire month lol. Though i couldnt say so much about the other major Zombie Archetypes, like Shiranui, Vampires or Mayakashi (My opinion on how the card would work with them begins and ends on "i think they have a legal target...?" (Given that Vampire has Familiar, Shiranui has Solitaire and Spiritualist, and Mayakashi has, idk, cards i guess? Dont wanna read those guys) im fairly confident on saying that at least for those two i could more or less picture how it would work with them. At least in theory, it just feels like a really nice piece of hand tailored support to deal with some of their core weaknesses, like Zombie Goodstuff's overrealiance on NSing and vulnerability to Imperm, and Ghostrick's problems with filling an empty board.

Though, saying that, after thinking about it for a while, i think i've stumbled into one big problem with the card as is written right now for Ghostrick support specifically, which kind of makes it way harder to use it as i first tought (Though the Zombie Goodstuff plays i managed to figure out very much remain the same dw about those guys they chilling). The problem i think i've found for Ghostricks is that as is the card xenolocks you into Fiends and Zombies, and sadly, Angel of Mischief is an Fairy, making so ya cannot summon it during turns where you use Hostess, limiting Hostess quite heavily. To make matters worse Ghostrick's main pieces of interaction without going into Angel are its 2s, like Nekomusume and Fairy, and since those are Spellcasters, those arent either legal targets to get out of it (As if ya could just SS Nekomusume and pray it wouldnt be even that bad of a card for them anyways, a floodgate is better than a T-set) so your best bet with this card would be SSing a Mummy from deck and hope that ya drew those level 2s so ya can Normal Summon them as your interactions for the turn because thankfully, the Xenolock doesnt affect NSing. Man, the Ghostrick subtheme of each level being its own type is a tad BS sometimes, it feels kinda depressive to see that ya cant actually do those turn one plays. Oh well. At least it is a "For the Rest of the Turn" lock, instead of a "This turn" lock, so, at worst, if the card remains as is ya could just do your plays with it like going into Alucard after first doing all the Ghostrick plays you had available that turn, which to be fair isnt much. (And dont worry, Zombies dont really have that many good negators to somehow cheat with this card at the end of a combo, so other than ones to occupy massive amounts of deck space like Baledroch ya wouldnt really have to worry about the clause creating a Verte Anaconda Into Dragoon kind of scenario, we're safe). It is still an improvement since it gives a lot of Mummy access and ways to flood the board turn one outside of Shot, but it is a tad restrictive for the archetype as is. Maybe a locking ya into Zombies and Fiends for cards above a certain level would be better, or making so ya get a singular freebie while under the lock or something. Idk. Maybe ya could give it a clause to change the typing of a card in the extra deck as the way to build up the freebie summon under the lock. 

As is, the application within Ghostricks  is surprisingly unwieldy, though still playable, but the card remains probably best as a Zombie Goodstuff card. After all, for Zombie Goodstuff, this is pretty much just a Uni Zombie that doesnt use your NS AND can also be a Banshee/Bloom if needed, which is absolutely amazing. Would def love to play this on Malice Ascendant sometimes, i feel like those guys could start to enter the realm of 4~5 interactions turn one with this card mixed int

So, ye, in short, Zombie Goodstuff is loving this card and playing as many copies as it can of it, but currently the Xenolock is hurting Ghostricks a bit. Another idea for how to change the lock for it to better work with Ghostricks would be "You cannot summon monsters above x attack except for Zombies and Fiends" since Ghostricks have next to no ATK stats, with 2000k being their highest value. Sure, that would give the decks access to Apollousa, but cmon, we're talking about a type that has problems to make a 2 monster pass, if someone somehow figures out a way to make use of the card in a way that isnt worse than just leaving the materials used for it on field they deserve a pat on the back

Also, i wonder if the card woul warrant running Zombie Master in Zombie Goodstuff? Ya play a bunch of 4s and lowers, but sadly, most dont do that much on field. Maybe on Ascendants to trigger a bunch of SP effs if ya figure out a way to not get stuck at 4 names on GY

pain peko

I really wanted the Hostess plus Shot line to get 2 Angel of Mischief into rotation turn one to work out man

6 hours ago, drowsyCoffee said:

~ snip ~

Thanks for analysis. I appreciate it a lot. It was more considerable then what little I know about the strategy by a mile. About the lack of searchability, replacement for the messages, it's intended not to be that easy. With sky prison coming in to the game, you got more searchability then I'd ever let a win con card 😅.

15 minutes ago, drowsyCoffee said:

Mayakashi (My opinion on how the card would work with them begins and ends on "i think they have a legal target...?" 

Hostess: It summons their starter from deck... so a consistency upgrade. But Mayakashi's need better payoff far more then an additional starter for their one and only combo. Her second effect could come up for better crackback though, but doesn't cover the existing weaknesses. 

2 minutes ago, tripledawn said:

Thanks for analysis. I appreciate it a lot. It was more considerable then what little I know about the strategy by a mile. About the lack of searchability, replacement for the messages, it's intended not to be that easy. With sky prison coming in to the game, you got more searchability then I'd ever let a win con card 😅.

Hostess: It summons their starter from deck... so a consistency upgrade. But Mayakashi's need better payoff far more then an additional starter for their one and only combo. Her second effect could come up for better crackback though, but doesn't cover the existing weaknesses. 

Ah, so it would be the very common case within legacy support of "It now can make a singular interruption and then die immediatly 30% more often!". It happens surprisingly often man. Then again, people that play these kinds of deck tend to be hella dedicated to em, so probably even that would be enough to make em at least slightly happier

On another hand, while i do think that having Prison available is an upgrade, stall kinda focuses more on floodgates that are going to stay on board for a long time/wincon cards, so i dont think it would be as big a deal as one might think, its just kind of a tool to add something on the lines of a Raigeki Break and cash in some quick advantage rather than help solidify some mayor floodgate lock. Kind of feels like adding extra copies of Trap Trick to me ngl. While it helps, it doesnt assist any of the problematic parts of the strategy

Mood Music:

S07D8Ey.jpg

FLIP: Banish 1 card on the field. You can only use this effect of "Assemblage of Morbidseekers" once per turn. if you banish 10 cards with different names with this effect of "Assemblage of Morbidseekers" you win the Duel
You can Ritual Summon this card with "Abominations Harkings". Once per turn, you can change this card to face-down Defense Position then rearrange the face-down card(s) you control, then Set the non-monster card(s) and/or return the monster(s) in face-down Defense Position

mEaxXy9.jpg

This card can be used to Ritual Summon "Assemblage or Morbidseekers" from your hand or GY. You must also tribute monsters from your hand or field and/or Banish Flip Monsters from your Deck or GY face-down whose total Levels equal to 6 or more. also for the rest of the Duel You can Set Flip monster from your hand to your Spell & Trap Zone as Quick-Play Spell card and its flip effect becomes the Spell's effects when that card is activated. During your Main Phase while this card in your GY, you can banish a Flip monster in your GY and pay 1000 LP: Target 1 Flip monster in your GY; Shuffle this card to your Deck and Special Summon that target to your field

after some delays, accidents, and marinating my madness to its fullest, here's my contest submission. the idea itself actually quite (not) simple, maximizing Flip mechanic in order to impart the most important part of horror : tension building and shocking reveal. the Ritual aspect is meant to reflect vibes of ancient and cult to further propel the horror theme. Also quite number of number (a a a a~) 13 motif, and finally based on surprisingly less recognize ghost myth being the Wild Hunt myth (albeit a very...very...very loose and twisted take)

back to tension building and surprise reveal aspect, these card has it all. the ritual spell has 2 of very unorthodox but powerful effect. the first one is literally turning every single Flip monster in your possession as Pseudo- Quick-Play Spell that allowing you to "put more" Flip monster while simultaneously making them Spell Speed 2 that either your opponent Stopped or Waste resource on. if that don't tense your opponent the 2nd effect which recycle that double as float for flips to set up stuff probably will....

BUT WAIT...THERE'S MORE! the ritual monster it self, first effect is basically a re-setter...on good ol (turned new) crack named "Shifting shadow" my favorite Flip Support ever! making your opponent's brain melt as you not only move around your face down monster but also face down spell/trap which keep safe the Pseudo-Spell we made! and finally after all the tension building gimmick we come to the *SHOCK!**THE SCARE!* being the flip effect's banish that coupled with a *little* effort can outright wins you games~

MUAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH (thunder, lightning, demonic echos ensued)

ahem~

Uh. Ya know Pot of the Forbidden is a thing, right? This group of card has, between the cards it can use as tech, a Spell Speed 3 Raigeki, that can also be a Pot of Greed or a Forceful Sentry during your turn after reseting itself if the enemy doesnt control anything to pop. Ya can also use things like the Prediction Princesses, in particular, Crystal and Arrow to add ya a bunch of copies of these two cards to give ya an example, to accelerate the win con a whole lot, or Evilswarm Azzathoth as a Spell Speed 3 Castel, Guard Dog as a Spell Speed 3 Vanity's Emptiness or a Whirlwind Weasel as a Spell Speed 3 Cold Wave, Hade Hane as a massive 3 card Speed Spell 3 bounce (Which could also be problematic as a way to not only bounce every turn your opponents cards, but it could also be used alonside something like Coinorma to get all of these hard to search Flip Monsters in your hand where you can set them as traps), you can also use things like Jowls or Rafflesia as Brain Controls to disrupt opponents combos in a way that's particularly hard to defend against. Hell, ya can even use the not so hard to search Scapeghost to get 5(max) tokens on field per turn both for the sake of chump blocking and link laddering. There is also Ultramafus as a Spell Speed 3 Book of Eclipse

The point im trying to make is, ya sure ya wanna let flip monsters become Counter Traps that RESET THEMSELVES? A quite surprising number of monsters have some of the most powerful effs in the game, like locking your opponent out of S/Ts, just because Konami figured "They're flip monsters, they'll never see use, who cares". The fact that they get to be hard to respond for the spell speed given to them is also questionable given how many of them get to do things like pop the entire field, Book of Eclipse, return 3 cards from hand. It would be hella hard for most decks to cope with it. At least they dont get protection against Lightning Storm and their disruption doesnt include negates, but still, yikes. Ya also get to use things like Prediction Princess package both to get those guys on field and to use the ritual summon guy that ya can add a bunch of copies to hand with their ritual spell's eff as fodder for your own ritual guy, or the Tenyi field spell to draw 2 if your opponent special summons to dig into yet even more of those advantage generating cards. Feels like the deck would be kind of a sacky mess that either bricks on 5 bad flips or sets up 2 Spell Speed 3 boardwipes while locking ya outta summons. The theming is great tho, i'll give ya that much

14 hours ago, Dokutah Gory, Woundslinger said:

vlLX2a0.jpg

FLIP: Target 1 card on the field; Banish it. You can only use this effect of "Assemblage of Morbidseekers" once per turn.

Even with self setting you can't use it turn one this is really slow but scary nonetheless

if you banish 10 cards with different names with this effect of "Assemblage of Morbidseekers" you win the Duel

The memory of this effect is strange but even if different copies use the effect it still works.
You can either Ritual Summon or Special Summon this card this card with "Abominations Harkings". Once per turn, you can change this card to face-down Defense Position then rearrange the face-down card(s) you control,

There is an old continuous spell that does this I'm glad to see it back.

then Set the non-monster card(s) and/or return the monster(s) in face-down Defense Position

OH! It works on spell/traps to. Wait with the ritual spell active, can you put the monsters on the field or in S/T zone?!?

KUDaj3r.jpg

This card can be used to Ritual Summon "Assemblage or Morbidseekers" from your hand or GY. You must also tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total Levels equal to 6 or more.

The or GY is nice.

also for the rest of the Duel You can Set Flip monster from your hand to your Spell & Trap Zone as Counter Trap card and its flip effect becomes the Trap's effects when that card is activated and when its resolved, Set it face-down instead sending it to GY and lose 1000 LP.

Does this work on monsters level 5 and higher and other copies of the ritual (without the spell?!?)?

You can banish a Flip monster in your GY and pay 300 LP: target a number of Flip monster(s) in your GY equal number of times you Ritual Summon "Assemblage or Morbidseekers" this Duel; Shuffle this card to your Deck and Special Summon those target(s) to your field

Cool Grind Game effect that contributes to the win con.

This seems balanced except for high level flips using effects repeatedly.

Id say that these three cards are the biggest offenders for potential exploitation, and only one of em is a high level flip monster.

PotofTheForbidden-MP16-EN-C-1E.png.3750f2498e80e2647729af5c9f92aabf.png

GuardDog-DR04-NA-C-UE.png.42933caff9364800a4df48d1c87aeb56.png

WhirlwindWeasel-DR04-NA-C-UE.png.e7e18775c7f9c5bfe0451aea551f7294.png

Checking the whole flip list, there is a surprisingly low level of high level flips that would be particularly problematic, around 2 or three (Though to be fair, those are the Boardwipe, Triple Bounce, and Book of Eclipse guys). Still, the most problematic cards that could be used alongside this in my opinion, the onesided Imperial Order and Vanity Emptiness, both massively powerful effects to have (And the IO one also prevents traps too, making it more versatile in the decks it instantly shuts down) are low level cards, so i dont think the problem might be exploiting high levels exclusively. At least, restricting it to low level flips only would still leave a lot of really powerful stuff open. I'd say one of the biggest problem is the cards being Spell Speed 3, even if it requires set up, not being to answer the cards with any effects except for like, Red Reboot and the Solemn Brigade feels hella painful. Though, at the same time, given that those are NOT continuous traps, and thus, chaining a Cosmic Cyclone or the like to them wont be a way to prevent the floodgates, it might not be enough. At least those two guys need to be reactivated each turn to work, creating a window for you to try to challenge them. Even if it wont negate them, having a window to pop Whirlwind and prevent it from being activated on yet another turn helps fix the problem. As is, since they are Counter Traps, only another deck carrying counter traps itself or hard drawing a Red Reboot could contest the Whirlwind. Pushing them down to SS2 makes them less oppresive and increases the number of posible outs. Ya still get a unilateral IO, but is a step in the right direction, a tad closer to figuring out how to solve the inherent problems for the card

Canceled my old submission.

New submission because it doesn't ruffle my feathers, as much as the previous one (if you get my drift),

---

Name: AWOL Encounter

Type: Continuous Trap

Text: 

If you do not control a Winged-Beast monster, or if you control a monster that is not a Winged-Beast monster, destroy this card. Each time you Summon a Winged-Beast monster(s) (except during the Damage Step); you can target 1 of those monsters and 1 face-up monster your opponent controls: banish both targets until the End Phase. 

7b70e99470fe.jpg

Design Notes (Fluff):

The entire card is inspired by the art here, it sort of wrote itself. The slightly ominous AWOL/owl pun (because we both know it's just an invitation to high-tea), and the multitude of birds depicted so we assist strategies that like to swarm.

I love cards that can cause their owner to adopt a slightly different play style while they are in play - and this is most apparent in the restrictions on the card. You can't just blindly play and remove stuff, at least not if you want to keep this versatile piece of interruption // non-destruction removal and keep using it.

Interesting going-first tech, for strategies that like to break boards and push for game on turn 3. Probably better suited for mid-range // controly matches though.

Interesting to note, I believe that the archetype that can abuse this card most (Floowanders) also need this card the least because they already have a slew of non-destructive removal. (they like being banished, but their own restriction will remove them without coming back in the endphase if they stay banished)

I think that harpies can use this as interruption on the opponent's turn, from my minimal familiarity with the deck? If they can, great. They would most like the target audience in that case.

Lirilusc would much prefer to keep their monsters on the field or GY for extension plays, play around most boards or plough through those interruptions - the new support is too new for me to say for sure though.

I'm not familiar with Blackwings or Raid Raptors. I don't this break most modern strategies, but I could be off the mark.

18 minutes ago, tripledawn said:

New submission because it doesn't ruffle my feathers, as much as the previous one (if you get my drift),

---

Text: 

If you do not control a Winged-Beast monster, or if you control a monster that is not a Winged-Beast monster, destroy this card. Each time you Summon a Winged-Beast monster(s) (except during the Damage Step); you can target 1 of those monsters and 1 face-up monster your opponent controls: banish both targets until the End Phase. 

7b70e99470fe.jpg

Design Notes (Fluff):

The entire card is inspired by the art here, it sort of wrote itself. The slightly ominous AWOL/owl pun (because we both know it's just an invitation to high-tea), and the multitude of birds depicted so we assist strategies that like to swarm.

I love cards that can cause their owner to adopt a slightly different play style while they are in play - and this is most apparent in the restrictions on the card. You can't just blindly play and remove stuff, at least not if you want to keep this versatile piece of interruption // non-destruction removal and keep using it.

Interesting going-first tech, for strategies that like to break boards and push for game on turn 3. Probably better suited for mid-range // controly matches though.

Interesting to note, I believe that the archetype that can abuse this card most (Floowanders) also need this card the least because they already have a slew of non-destructive removal. (they like being banished, but their own restriction will remove them without coming back in the endphase if they stay banished)

I think that harpies can use this as interruption on the opponent's turn, from my minimal familiarity with the deck? If they can, great. They would most like the target audience in that case.

Lirilusc would much prefer to keep their monsters on the field or GY for extension plays, play around most boards or plough through those interruptions - the new support is too new for me to say for sure though.

I'm not familiar with Blackwings or Raid Raptors. I don't this break most modern strategies, but I could be off the mark.

I mean, ya could use it on TriBri or Lirilusc TriBri to get an extra banish on whatever summon ya happen to use to trigger your Shuraigh on your opponent's turn, specially triggering it off for something like a Nerval SS out of a Revolt could be good. Still, any S/Ts for Winged Beast support that arent part of your engine/searchable have to be outright amazing to see any play, given that they have to compete with absolute powerhouses of a card like Feather Storm (Essentially a VFD) or Icarus Attack (A duo pop) and the like. Plus, those archetypes tend to already play a few garnets in things like Apex Avian or Designator packages, so its hard to convince em of fitting new cards on them. I'd agree that probably Floos, Blackwings and the like are more likely to use the card, simply because TriBri and Lirilusc are simply far too starved on deck space and have problems justifying any additions to their deck. The fact that the targets come back is probably the dealbreaker, as ya cant use the card to grind down your opponents advantage, and those decks already have ways to not care about their own banished monster, either through things like Revolt to summon them back, Floos adding themselves back to hand or the fact that they swarm the board really easily, to use for the cost a really low value monster. Ya wouldnt mind permanently losing your target that much if it meant denying your opponent of one of their cards ngl. The fact that it locks ya out (Since the card self destroys if not) of some of your strongest cards like the S0 Utopic Draco Lirilusc likes so much is also a bit of a problem, and given that Blackwing likely plays some degree of synchro nonsense, they might have the same problem regarding one of the tuners they use in their lines or something. TriBri also probably cannot go into it, at least not for long, in retrospective, since your Beasts and Beast Warriors would pop the card. Raid Raptor, on the other hand, is full of Xenolocks, so its very likely that the deck couldnt go into cards outside that restriction anyways, and i've heard that a lot of the end bosses they make are sub par, so maybe those guys could enjoy this as an interruption. Dont know the archetype enough to say for sure

In short, i think id make the check for the self pop happen at a certain phase, like at the end of each turn, to be more friendly with TriBri stuff, and i think most Winged Beast decks might enjoy the card more if the banish were to be permanent

Looks like i changed my mind @The Nyx Avatar

Before i go further, just a small reminder:

This is a Card Contest, not your usual Casual/Realistic sections, i do appreciate a good review on my card, but misplaced behaviour in response to my card submission within this contest is unacceptable for me, and i hope you guys refrain in doing so for further submission. Please respect Nyx as the contest creator, his voice (and he alone), weights the score of this contest. If you happen to share some essential information regarding the card submitted, please wait until the scoring started/deadline has been started or you can just pm the said creators/Nyx without spoiling the whole review within the contest thread itself. I do much appreciated if this small words of mine are heard and engraved within you guys kind and creatively knowledgeable souls, thank you.

꧁------------------------------------------------------------------------------꧂

hXGIRyp.png

Hallowed Angel of Eve

DARK/Level 6

Fairy/Fusion/Effect

Must be Fusion Summoned by discarding 1 card from your hand and Tributing 1 monster you control whose current name is different that its original (printed) card name. You can only Special Summon 1 "Hallowed Angel of Eve" per turn. This card's ATK becomes equal to the ATK of a monster Tributed to Special Summon this card by its own procedure. Once per turn, when this card is Special Summoned, or a monster is Special Summoned: You can target 1 card on the field; your opponent can send 1 card from their hand to your hand to negate this effect, otherwise banish the target. During your Standby Phase: You can Special Summon this banished card.

2400/2000

Small fun side story, i already planned to join this contest waaay when the contest is still freshly made thread. Got some brainstorming going and suddenly, idea crashed. Yes, me and Jolly somehow have the same mind and idea, of making a unique shenanigans turning Flip monster into S/T to mitigate its slowness, whilst also sacrificing its body while at that, yeah what a small coincidence. So i decided "nah let Jolly do the contest, he is good at that, and let back down from my interest on Nyx contest, cheering Jolly instead since his card basically same as me, he represent my idea too 😅". But recently i just found a good art and an idea popped out so suddenly.

Anyway, about the card. not much can be explained further here. I see people here submit from, a good support card, super creative effect, small but useful card, even deep-in-lore card, yeah what a boomer, so competitive creators around. This spark me to make a simple card, to capture the essence of true Halloween itself within the modern culture, a person wearing a costume, knocking the neighborhood house, "Trick or Treat!".

Summoning condition is literal "person wearing a costume", requiring a monster whose current name is different than its original name, i believe you guys already know the list of that monsters that does that, keep it to yourself, aight? Don't spoil.

The 1st effect is also represent the "Trick or Treat!" by literal means, the "Trick" here by targeting 1 card on the field, and banish it. The "Treat" is your opponent giving you 1 card of their choice to give it to you, ala 1 sided Exchange, to negate the effect and avoiding the "Trick".

If you somehow targeting itself, and goes on (without being negated), it can bring back itself during the SP, knocking your door again, for another "Trick or Treat!".

Available on DB too https://www.duelingbook.com/card?id=2757473

YES! FITE ME- *ahem* welcome back to the contest kana :)

also if case no one notice i already fix mine to its final version yesterday (with the help of @Kanashimi in fact! Big thanks!) No more revision needed

Also yeah the side story did happen and it is funny coincidence. in fact, the reason my card is ritual set in the first place is to further represent kana's other idea before the coincidence happen lol. You can say my card also designed to represent/honor Kana. 

On 10/29/2021 at 5:20 AM, tripledawn said:

---

Text: 

7b70e99470fe.jpg

Design Notes (Fluff):

Try brigade can play this card

21 hours ago, Zefra Zamazenta said:

Sruig Omenios Omens

That's hardly enough reason to mention that archetype. Stop bringing up Tri-Brigade with cards. Just because you can squeeze it in a Tri-Brigade Deck, doesn't mean you should.

Anywho:

Judgment!

drowsyCoffee:

Practicality:

There's a couple of things Ghostrick could use more of. But Trap Cards? I don't think so. Not unless it's overpowered or a hand trap like Infinite Impermanence or Blackbird Close. But....let's look at the card on its own merits. Right now, there's not a lot of Trap Cards to this archetype they'd be good using. Ghostrick Break...and nothing else off the top of my head. Certainly not with the existence of Link monsters. But this card does indirectly bring that up. I still don't know how official Yugioh cards haven't yet. Ghostrick Scare has nothing on this card. Now, if only the card didn't target, it'd be even more mighty for this poor archetype. Overall, 2 out of a possible 3. Not what the archetype's missing, but it certainly makes up for the more outdated Trap Cards.

Balance:

It's a fair card. A bit too fair. You have at least a little more wiggle room to do stuff with this card. Like making it non-targeting, adding a self-banishing effect in the GY, activating from the hand, ect. It's very fair, yes. But amidst this archetype, it's a missed opportunity. Overall, a 2 out of a possible 3.

OCG:

The wording is generally correct, and the punctuation errors are very few. But they're not super glaring. A full 1 point.

Art:

No art here, so a 0 out of a possible 1.

"Spookyness"

The name and archetype it supports certainly does convey spookyness. A full point here!

Do I like how it plays:

Yes and no. It's certainly better than most of the existing Ghostrick Trap Cards. But it's some missed potential. And...destruction? Destruction's lost its luster in the last couple of years. 0.5 out of a possible 1 point.

Total: 6.5/10

Loleo:

Practicality:

WOW! This card is incredibly practical. We have the Spell Card Reload. And then...we have this. Shuffle back, banish recovery, and Special Summoning? What doesn't it do? EASILY a full 3 points!

Balance:

This is unfortunately where this card falters. Sure, the cost is high, and there is the restriction of GY effects. But...that doesn't stop you from using these monsters later. But it banishes face-down, which is costly unless you play Gren Maju. I'll split this one down the middle. 1.5 out of 3 for its mix of fairness and mad cost/boon.

OCG:

Wording for the effect is fine. No immediate problems. A full 1 point.

Art:

Generally clear enough, and it looks nice to me. Looks like something out of a fairy tale. A full 1 point.

"Spookyness"

These Pagan-looking girls do look uncanny enough for me to deem spooky. And while the black and white colors aren't pretty, that is to its benefit; making it look less friendly. Full point here.

Do I like how it plays:

Absolutely! The cost, the payoff, the speed. It's all good in my book. A full point from me.

Total: 8.5/10

PETER CURRAN:

Practicality:

It's split here. Yeah, a big beatstick that can hurt your opponent. But you need a Level 12 Tuner just to bring him out. And he's dependent on his own Counters. 1.5 out of a possible 3.

Balance:

1 point out of a possible 3. Needing a Level 12 Tuner is the most reason that's keeping this from a 0. That Counter effect is not properly addressed in the effect.

OCG:

Poor. Too many wording issues in that box. 0 out of a possible 1.

Art:

Clear enough, and I like it. Full point here.

"Spookyness":

Art and name invoke spookyness enough for a full point here.

Do I like how it plays:

No. The only trait to this card that I like is the fact that it's a Synchro monster. But not one that I'd use anytime soon. 0 out of a possible 1.

Total: 4.5/10

GALAXY DUELIST:

Practicality:

It's a...very generic beatstick that can ONLY be officially Summoned by Tributing a certain monster. It's en pare with Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon. 1 out of a possible 3. There are Archfiend monsters that are worthwhile to use than this card.

Balance:

It's a fair card. A bit too fair. For the cost to Summon it, you can get away with more with this card. But as is? It's just there. 2 out of a possible 3.

OCG:

No spelling errors, but it's generally worded wrong. I know what you're trying to say in the effect, but it's not worded like a real life card. 0.5 out of 1.

Art:

Art is clear enough and looks cool. Full point here.

"Spookyness":

Is it spooky? Barely in my book. 0.5 out of 1.

Do I like how it plays:

No. This card offers so little to use in a Deck. It's no better than the boss monsters from the GX Structure Decks. The ones that require you to Tribute a certain Level 5 or higher monster. Not worth my Deck space. 0 out of 1.

Total: 5/10

Rayfield Lumina:

Practicality:

EASILY very practical. Supports the generic but cool Zombie monsters. Also those Edo-looking dudes, triggering their banish effects. AND Necroface? AND Fiend monsters? What's not to love? 3 out of 3!

Balance:

Erm...could use a little work. Like I mentioned before, Shiranui works easily with this, and the more generic Zombie monsters can do plenty with this as well. And a Tuner no less. Also...the aforementioned Necroface. 2 out of a possible 3.

OCG:

No problems with spelling or wording as far as I see. Full point here.

Art:

Superb. Nice colors, faithful to the aesthetic of the game, and generally appealing. Full point.

"Spookyness":

It's a ghost. It's the protagonist of Spooky's Jumpscare mansion. It literally has "spooky" in its name. Full point here.

Do I like how it plays:

Absolutely. There's enough cards that I like to justify using this card. Full point.

Total: 9/10

Dokutah Gory, Woundslinger:

Practicality:

Pre-Preparation of Rites and Impcantation makes this all possible. Sure, having to flip it is off-putting. But the payoff? Superb. 3 out of a possible 3. And that Ritual Spell helps out enough.

Balance:

It's fair enough, but not "too fair". It does enough to justify its restrictions or costs. 3 out of 3.

OCG:

Wording and spelling is noticeably a little off. But not too much to bring you down too much. So 0.5 out of 1.

Art:

AWESOME! Colors are a little grimy, but some of the figures look disturbing. I even recognize one of those! That's  SCP-1156 - Long Horse! Clear enough and cool, it's a full point here.

"Spookyness"

Is this spooky enough in my book? Absolutely. This leaning more into disturbing territory. Nice to see someone try more disturbing art.

Do I like how it plays:

Absolutely! There's some modern Ritual monsters that just aren't worth playing. Like that Salamangreat and that stupid bird Vennu. This bastard? Worth my time! Full point here.

Total: 9.5/10

tripledawn:

Practicality:

A temporary banish is...okay, I guess. I dunno. Had it been more permanent, or non-targeting, I'd give it more points. But as is, it's a 1.5 out of a possible 3.

Balance:

It falls under that criteria "too fair". You could've taken a few more liberties. Even with archetypes like Floowandereeze. 1.5 out of a possible 3.

OCG:

Spelling and wording's good enough. I don't see any errors. Full point.

Art:

Art's pretty and clear enough. I like it. Full point.

"Spookyness":

No points for spookyness in my book. She may look ominous with the birds there. But...this isn't enough to invoke horror or horror-themed to me. So it's a 0 for here.

Do I like how it plays:

Yes and no. I like banishing my opponent's stuff. But...there's not enough reason for me to put many copies in my Deck. So it's a 0.5 out of 1 for this.

Total: 5.5/10

Kanashimi:

Practicality:

It does some cool stuff. It banishes, changes ATK, and doesn't require more than one material it seems. But what kills it is its material. 2 out of 3.

Balance:

It's a bit too balanced requiring such a specific type of monster. I can name a few. Some Harpies, Blue-Eyes and Red-Eyes cards, a HERO or two. But...how many Decks can realistically Summon this? 2 out of a possible 3.

OCG:

Wording and spelling is good enough. Not much (if anything) is amiss. Perhaps "procedure", but that's it really. 1 out of 1.

Art:

Certainly clear enough. But...do I like it? Meh. I'm indifferent to the dude in the devil costume. But his groupies wear cute and cool masks! 0.75 out of 1.

"Spookyness"

It's got Halloween vibes. So it's got spookyness for sure. Full point here.

Do I like how it plays:

Yes and no. I like the ATK change, that it doesn't need a Fusion Spell Card, and it banishes. My problem lies however in how you Summon it. There's...not a whole of monsters I'd use that would share a different name. Maybe Harpies, but that's about it really. 0.5 out of a possible 1. 

Total: 7.25/10

And that's about it for the contest.

Archived