The Nyx Avatar

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, GALAXY DUELIST said:

I made this card from a time ago it was meant to be a ghostrick support 

35c5c2c1ac2c.thumb.jpg.1bb328f7206bba69462aecafaf23b2bb.jpg

6 hours ago, drowsyCoffee said:

This  card makes me angry, on so many different levels. Im sorry if im a tad harsh on my opinions for this card, but to be honest, Ghostrick is one of my favorite Archetypes and seeing this kind of support just, peeves me to no end. In short, i have 2 problems with this card. 1, it completely disregards the entire archetype's playstyle, and 2, it doesnt really archieve anything the archetype couldnt already do

Lets start with the first point. Ghostricks are historically an archetype that struggles a lot to set up the monsters on field it needs to be able to access their somewhat powerful Xyzs, and in general, the archetype has a ton of problems flooding the board. Plus, if ya had multiple monsters, in most scenarios you would rather go into your Xyzs lines rather that keep them on board to hope ya can reach the threshold to be able to summon the card, further slowing down how much it would take for you to be able to summon this dude. An Xyz line, like Alucard's for example, is worth a Pop, an S/T search, and adding back to hand any 1 Ghostrick on GY. Why would you ever not make the line to save up for this card? Even in the remote scenario where in like, turn 5, ya manage to get 4 Ghostricks on field, this card is a non searchable main deck monster. Ya need to draw it, and due to their high level, your only monster searcher, Jiangshi, would never be able to search this card, making so getting this to the field is extremely rare, given that you'd need both to archieve a rather uncommon board state for the archetype AND hard draw the card (Or maybe like, Foolish Burial it, and then use an Xyz's floating eff to add it back. Not particularly good)

Still, lets assume you somehow manage to gather all your resources over to turn 5~7 and you summon this dude. What do you get out of it? Absolutely nothing. 2 of this card's effs are essentially copies of Werewolf and Skeleton, but, big surprise, the only redeeming quality of those monsters is being LV3 for Alucard plays, so that doesnt matter even in the slightest. The ability to hit face downs even while the Field Spells are live and not be flipped face down by Museum is decent, but given how bad Field Spells are, and how Links are a thing, ya could, y'know, not play the Field Spells in the first place and use like, maybe a Ghoul set up since you're starved for LV3s to play anyways as your way to beat over big dudes. The effect of flipping down monsters attacking Ghostricks is neat, but after tributing four bodies to get this boy on the field, the only thing left to protect would be your 5k Unnaffected beater, which is rarely necessary, and in the one scenario where it is necessary (We'll talk about that one latter) IT DOESNT EVEN DO ANYTHING. At best, lets assume, you somehow have one Ghostrick left on field to protect. Ya know what card Ghostricks play that can be used to flip face down exactly one monster attacking one of your Ghostricks? Go Round. It doesnt add anything new the deck couldnt do. I guess it's better than Go Round because ya can use it more than once per turn,

You actually can't use it more than once per turn

but A), Go Round isnt particularly good, B) Go Round can be used beffore attack declaration in cases where it would be relevant (A la Utopia the Lightning, to bring back an ol' one) and C) Go Round doesnt require massive ammounts of set up

The other two effects, while slightly better, still are nowhere near good enough to justify playing a brick that requires this many resources. First, the Board wipe. While in one hand, yes, a non-targetting non-destruction board wipe is good, its nothing the deck couldnt already do as of now. You see, Ghostricks already have access to another card that can do the same, AA Zeus. Your standard Xyz line (Or maybe a random revived Alucard you got with Shot + self attach, or Shot revive Alu, Attach into Alu, Rank up into Angel, Detach Alu for eff, Attach into Angel, go into Zeus) can be Ranked Up into a 2 mat Zeus, or, if you forgo to use the effect of your first Xyz (Or it doesnt have a good one, like Socuteboss or Dullanhan) and use Angel of Mischief's eff to attach a card from hand into itself, a 4 mat one. Ya can even make a 6 mat Zeus if ya choose to not use the detach effect of either Xyzs, have a Shot in GY (Which you're likely to have, given that Shot is your main combo piece to go into Xyzs), and attach with Angel. So, providing a boardwipe on summon for 4 monsters on field on a Main Deck card aint that good for the archetype when they can do the same for 2 monsters on field, plus while at it on most scenarios, and do so with purely Extra Deck monsters. Ya also have to have in mind that Zeus is a Quick Effect boardwipe, not a On Summon one. I guess both are hard to negate, with one being an Unnaffected bungus and the other being chainable multiple times per chain, so that's the only area where Zeus isnt outright better than this card. Still, there is no reason to play King while Zeus is an available option. There are other details like Zeus nuking your own field, but, lets be honest, if ya made Zeus you would have already far exceeded your quota of monsters summoned that turn, so ya wouldnt have anything to blow up except for your Ghostrick S/Ts that were turned of by not having any set cards anyways

And finally, the most important point. This card dies to Accesscode talker. Accesscode can beat over a 5k Attack Unnafected bungus with no problem, as we saw with A.I.s, the effect to flip it face down on attack dec does nothing since Accesscode is a Link monster, and unlike this card pretty much every deck can make an Accesscode. So, not only this card is extremely hard to summon, its unwieldy, consumes a lot of resources, and ultimately does nothing the deck cant already do, it also dies to one of the most common generic boss monsters out there. 

Yeah i really dont like this card. Disregards a lot of the Ghostrick playstyle and design choices and doesnt really provide anything to the deck. Plus, i guess it has a lack of PSCT, but who cares about that last bit its a custo,

The Ghostrick card: I sympathize with these feelings. All in all it is too clunky and does nothing. Ghostricks are powerful cards that need speed not another boss.

The problem is, Itsu, that you can just activate the card after you have Lancea'd, Imperial Iron Wall'd, or used whatever other floodgate preventing you from banishing cards, even if you couldnt activate those afterwards. In that scenario, you send the whole lot of cards to the GY and shuffle the banish pile into your deck. Then, since you cannot banish cards, you dont perform that effect (Those happen in sequence, and since the then conjunctive makes so you only need to be able to resolve the first of the 2 effects its connecting for the effect to resolve, you can totally do so under such floodgates). Then, since the next eff is also connected by a then and you failed to perform the banish, it fizzles, and so on until the then chain has all fizzled out. It is a somewhat rare scenario, but given just how much advantage would be generated by dumping that many cards (Essentially your entire deck at the start of the game, before ya banished that much), i think it's fair to consider the card problematic (Specially given that decks like Orcust could just jam 3 of it, look their opponent in the eye and say "I dare you Lancea me"). It can also be played alongside Pot of Desires to get a heavy dump while still having a stacked banish pile in order to not immediatly deck out

Thankfully, the whole banish nonsense can be prevented just by changing the first "then" in it for an "and" (Not so sure about the rest, since doing a chain of conjunctives that happen simultaneously on a card that needs to perform effs in sequence feels like the start of a problem), since that would make so you NEED to be able to both perform the dumping to the GY bit AND the banish part in order for the card's effect to resolve, since and clauses require both effects to be able to. Classic PSCT being bs scenario. Also, the reason why the card might be dangerous is that cards that hit the GY or the Banish pile by this card's effect would trigger after the effect resolved, since you're mid resolution, so they also wouldnt count as responding to the card, after all, the card has already fully resolved, so you could totally plus out of them. Depending on how the cards themselves are worded, that would still happen even on a scenario were the whole effect resolved properly and they only hit the GY/Banish pile for a short period of time (Even if i got that last bit wrong about the short window for cards that trigger upon hitting the GY, which im not as certain about, still, there is plenty of Thunder Dragon esque cards that like being banished and those will remain there by the end of the effect, so, unlike GY ones, there is no doubt there about 'em triggering). Chances are, even if ya banish all those cards, due to Thunder Dragons and cards with similar effects existing where they give ya advantage out of being banished, or cards like Glow-Up Bloom that do so upon hitting the GY, the card might still be just another That Grass Looks Greener. If yer risking a deck out, ya can always do it mid combo after banishing a few cards, or after a Desires, or after just emptiying your hand. Uh. We might have a problem Houston

9 minutes ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

The Ghostrick card: I sympathize with these feelings. All in all it is too clunky and does nothing. Ghostricks are powerful cards that need speed not another boss.

Totally agree mate. God bless Ghostrick Shot, finally the deck can do something more than T set passing

6 hours ago, PETER CURRAN said:

I think I have one

The Man in The Mist.jpeg

1 Tuner 

Monsters can not effect monsters on their own side [a little tough but] Monsters each player controls are unaffected by the monster effects of their controller except their own[?]. Once per turn you can destroy one monster on the field. ; This card gains one dispersal counter (max 5). When If this card gains has 5 dispersal counters: this card gains 5000 ATK, and these effects: "If this card is destroyed by battle, destroy all monsters on the field. ,then You can lose 5 dispersal counters and [already dead] send all monsters on the opponents side of the field to the top of your their deck [Their monsters were already destroyed?]. After you lose 5 dispersal counters, you gain 1 insanity counter." This card gains 2000 ATK per insanity counter. If this card has two insanity counters, it gains these effects, "This card cannot be destroyed by battle. If this card is targeted for battle, negate the attack and change the target to an opponent on the monsters field or a direct attack to the opponent if the opponent has no monsters.

Having only a tuner monster disregards how a synchro summon works (a tuner tuning non tuners) and a this point should just be a Link 1 that requires a level 12 tuner (It doesn't need DEF at all I think it's just better). Also the "If this card is destroyed by battle..." is that supposed to be " If this monster destroys another monster by battle because that would be better? The last effect isn't worded very well because I would suggest replacing it with immunity until the end of the turn, piercing battle damage and then destroy itself. For the dispersal counters 5 is also really high I would almost say the effect should activate each standby phase, have max 3 counters and grant 3k ATK.

21 minutes ago, drowsyCoffee said:

The problem is, Itsu, that you can just activate the card after you have Lancea'd, Imperial Iron Wall'd, or used whatever other floodgate preventing you from banishing cards, even if you couldnt activate those afterwards. In that scenario, you send the whole lot of cards to the GY and shuffle the banish pile into your deck. Then, since you cannot banish cards, you dont perform that effect (Those happen in sequence, and since the then conjunctive makes so you only need to be able to resolve the first of the 2 effects its connecting for the effect to resolve, you can totally do so under such floodgates). Then, since the next eff is also connected by a then and you failed to perform the banish, it fizzles, and so on until the then chain has all fizzled out. It is a somewhat rare scenario, but given just how much advantage would be generated by dumping that many cards (Essentially your entire deck at the start of the game, before ya banished that much), i think it's fair to consider the card problematic (Specially given that decks like Orcust could just jam 3 of it, look their opponent in the eye and say "I dare you Lancea me").

I have a weird idea... what if I made it lock you out of activating effects in the GY the turn it was activated and return your GY back to the deck during the end phase. A situation that matters when you are "Forbidden" to "Forget". (not allowed to banish)

It can also be played alongside Pot of Desires to get a heavy dump while still having a stacked banish pile in order to not immediatly deck out

Intended

Thankfully, the whole banish nonsense can be prevented just by changing the first "then" in it for an "and" (Not so sure about the rest, since doing a chain of conjunctives that happen simultaneously on a card that needs to perform effs in sequence feels like the start of a problem), since that would make so you NEED to be able to both perform the dumping to the GY bit AND the banish part in order for the card's effect to resolve, since and clauses require both effects to be able to. Classic PSCT being bs scenario.

noted

Also, the reason why the card might be dangerous is that cards that hit the GY or the Banish pile by this card's effect would trigger after the effect resolved, since you're mid resolution, so they also wouldnt count as responding to the card, after all, the card has already fully resolved, so you could totally plus out of them.

Can I stop this? :(... wait my above solution works?

Depending on how the cards themselves are worded, that would still happen even on a scenario were the whole effect resolved properly and they only hit the GY/Banish pile for a short period of time (Even if i got that last bit wrong about the short window for cards that trigger upon hitting the GY, which I'm not as certain about, still, there is plenty of Thunder Dragon esque cards that like being banished and those will remain there by the end of the effect, so, unlike GY ones, there is no doubt there about 'em triggering). Chances are, even if ya banish all those cards, due to Thunder Dragons and cards with similar effects existing where they give ya advantage out of being banished, or cards like Glow-Up Bloom that do so upon hitting the GY, the card might still be just another That Grass Looks Greener. If yer risking a deck out, ya can always do it mid combo after banishing a few cards, or after a Desires, or after just emptying your hand. Uh. We might have a problem Houston

For the banished cards I just realized I missed another important part I meant for the deck to be banished face down.

Totally agree mate. God bless Ghostrick Shot, finally the deck can do something more than T set passing

:)

I'm worried this is getting clunky, all I wanted is to switch the places of 2 sets of cards :(.

Alright. I think we've already surpassed the 3 participant minimum. Not to say other users can't participate anymore. They still can. But, now to decide on a deadline.

Would you all generally prefer the deadline to be Halloween Day 8:00 p.m. CDT? Or two weeks from now like my last contest? November 3 8:00 p.m. CDT.

Just now, The Nyx Avatar said:

Alright. I think we've already surpassed the 3 participant minimum. Not to say other users can't participate anymore. They still can. But, now to decide on a deadline.

Would you all generally prefer the deadline to be Halloween Day 8:00 p.m. CDT? Or two weeks from now like my last contest? November 3 8:00 p.m. CDT.

I don't mind either way!

Agreed

31 minutes ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

Having only a tuner monster disregards how a synchro summon works (a tuner tuning non tuners) and a this point should just be a Link 1 that requires a level 12 tuner (It doesn't need DEF at all I think it's just better). Also the "If this card is destroyed by battle..." is that supposed to be " If this monster destroys another monster by battle because that would be better? The last effect isn't worded very well because I would suggest replacing it with immunity until the end of the turn, piercing battle damage and then destroy itself. For the dispersal counters 5 is also really high I would almost say the effect should activate each standby phase, have max 3 counters and grant 3k ATK.

I do not get the last part

11 minutes ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

I'm worried this is getting clunky, all I wanted is to switch the places of 2 sets of cards :(.

I really get your pain mate, i had a similar experience trying to figure out how the fuck to write my card. The whole, "pop it if it cannot be set" bit had a lot more implications than i thought it would, due to targetting shenanigans. 

But yeah, i can get that, its kinda really often than a cool concept ends up having some wacky PSCT nightmares going on or like some specific exploit with it that is really hard to balance while keeping the card's essence intact. Always hurts when it happens man. Hope ya can figure out a way to solve the problem for ya. Maybe if the card banished face down, so ya couldnt plus out of it? If ya had 3 in deck, since one could banish the other in GY, and then the next one could shuffle them back to deck, it could create the absurd recursion ya seem to want to give to the card. So, at least in theory, by replacing the first then with an and, and by making it banish face down, it would then get closer to the intended effect you had in mind, if i got what ya wanted to do with the card right. At least, that's the first idea that came to mind to prevent the weird TD shenanigans without having to go the floodgate route of giving it restrictions that prevented summoning or something like that

No clue about how balanced the summon from deck would be though, dont quite have the combo knowledge to measure how strong it would be given the required set up

The last effect isn't worded very well because I would suggest replacing it with immunity until the end of the turn, piercing battle damage and then destroy itself. For the dispersal counters 5 is also really high I would almost say the effect should activate each standby phase, have max 3 counters and grant 3k ATK.

@GALAXY DUELIST ah despite the delivery dont take that to the heart much. Nobody accuse you as cheater

Nyx care about realistic take on cards because thats a tangible way to see effort. And from what i see. A super boss design is a risky take on realistic. Its not like complicated card= bad realism though, Nyx actually like that too. You havent see my entry and my previous contest submission really says much about the length i go for unique effects lol 

Drowsy is evidently super passionate about Ghostrick. Drowsy has good intention though, despite the context of contest drowsy willing to point out things in hopes your submission upheld nyx standards that sportmanship in my book. Though i can understand intricate reviews can be overwhelming and easily misunderstood as cornering

Contest or even cardmaking in general should be fun for everyone despite its technically requirement. Cheer up and may the best maker win 

15 minutes ago, Dokutah Gory, Woundslinger said:

@GALAXY DUELIST ah despite the delivery dont take that to the heart much. Nobody accuse you as cheater

Nyx care about realistic take on cards because thats a tangible way to see effort. And from what i see. A super boss design is a risky take on realistic. Its not like complicated card= bad realism though, Nyx actually like that too. You havent see my entry and my previous contest submission really says much about the length i go for unique effects lol 

Drowsy is evidently super passionate about Ghostrick. Drowsy has good intention though, despite the context of contest drowsy willing to point out things in hopes your submission upheld nyx standards that sportmanship in my book. Though i can understand intricate reviews can be overwhelming and easily misunderstood as cornering

Contest or even cardmaking in general should be fun for everyone despite its technically requirement. Cheer up and may the best maker win 

I didn't t really mean cheater it just came out by mistake but what I meant there is like whoa there's a lot of guys judging the card from the first two seconds and when I made this card it was a time ago and at that time I was focusing on making some boss monsters 

On 10/20/2021 at 9:30 PM, PETER CURRAN said:

wait wrong one

The last effect isn't worded very well because I would suggest replacing it with immunity until the end of the turn

This one

If this card has two insanity counters, it gains these effects, "This card cannot be destroyed by battle. If this card is targeted for battle, negate the attack and change the target to an opponent on the monsters field or a direct attack to the opponent if the opponent has no monsters.

This effect isn't as powerful as it seems as your opponent could just choose not to attack this card. Also battle protection is really weak especially if it has a lot of ATK.

After more thought I think he should gain 1000 ATK per counter so you don't even have to wait till you have 3 for him to be decent. 

On 10/21/2021 at 3:15 AM, GALAXY DUELIST said:

I didn't t really mean cheater it just came out by mistake but what I meant there is like whoa there's a lot of guys judging the card from the first two seconds and when I made this card it was a time ago and at that time I was focusing on making some boss monsters 

Sorry for the harsh feedback on the first

On 10/21/2021 at 12:59 AM, GALAXY DUELIST said:

fine if you don't like that card how about this whatever you say about this card I won't post another. I have posted this card since you didn't like the first but to make it fair to the others I won't post more 

381f1c7c7849.thumb.jpg.bb0dd05e082c5ced0ea8f92048375485.jpg

I wish you would have posted the effect after the card and there are a couple of PSCT mistakes (like missing commas) but that isn't a big issue. This is honestly a decent card especially in older formats. It doesn't solve all the problems on its own but it is a step in the right direction and not broken. Honestly a well made card!

Hey, we have 'til the deadline to figure out a final submision, at least i personally dont mind at all if anyone changes their card/the card effect before that day, dw mate, it happens (Maybe with the sole exception of if they received feedback directly from Nyx, as then it would feel a tad cheaty to have the judge telling only 1 guy what they thought of their card to allow them to improve. At the same time, if they did so to everyone, the problem is kinda solved as far as im concerned). 

1 hour ago, drowsyCoffee said:

Hey, we have 'til the deadline to figure out a final submision, at least i personally dont mind at all if anyone changes their card/the card effect before that day, dw mate, it happens (Maybe with the sole exception of if they received feedback directly from Nyx, as then it would feel a tad cheaty to have the judge telling only 1 guy what they thought of their card to allow them to improve. At the same time, if they did so to everyone, the problem is kinda solved as far as im concerned). 

Ah yes. About that. Most users seemed indifferent to whether it be October 31st or November 3. But I did get one user who preferred November 3. So while out of place as it may be, that is the due date. 

8:00 p.m. CDT. If you fear you live in a different timezone, make a note of this and compare it to your timezone.

*something something Empanada timezone*

Thank god i dont have any plans (So far) on doing any changes to my submision, every time i have to deal with figuring out how timezones work i have an aneurysm

In a completely unrelated topic, Infinity y la pvta madre que te pario, ya no quiero ser de latinoamerica

2 hours ago, drowsyCoffee said:

I agree there are no bad rules for contest except unequal ones. If everyone receives feedback it's fair

Here's my entry:

Hostess_of_Terror_-_Spooky_.thumb.png.a0e6ff9a420877ecfb64659f71aad91c.png

Hostess of Terror - Spooky

DARK                                   Level 3

Zombie / Tuner / Effect

If you control no monsters, or if your opponent controls more monsters than you do: You can banish this card from your hand; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Zombie or Fiend monster from your Deck in Attack Position or face-down Defense Position, but you cannot Special Summon monsters, except Zombie or Fiend monsters, for the rest of this turn. While this card is banished, if a monster you control is destroyed by your opponent's card and sent to the GY: You can banish it; Special Summon this card. 

ATK 1500/ DEF 500

Alrighty so, a simple card with a simple artwork and a pretty straightforward effect. Lil' Spooky will serve to help you with field presence, courtesy of Halloween-esque typed critters while she oversees everything out of reach. Once the critter has been taken care of, she comes floating to take the matters in her own hands. No HOPT. I'm pretty confident that the first effect, while pretty strong and generic, is unable to cause great issues in the meta, as most of the archetypes it can suppost are kinda irrelevant right now bar Knightmares, perhaps, and this card would only serve them to give them the little push they might need (some Fabled and Ghostricks will smile), plus the type lock is there to avoid Formula Synchron shenanigans and similar. I think that's it, so keep calm and enjoy Spooky!

Archived