Using this generator to create NFTs

kenneth gangan

Hello everyone,

I don’t know which category this topic will fall so I’ll just put it on debate section.

I found this yugioh card generator and absolutely blown by it. I am here just to ask if I can use the yugioh card generator to make a personal card that I will be selling as NFT (Non Fungible Token) for a project of mine. 

I just want to know if I will break any law or policy of yours while doing this just to be safe.

The problem is here.

Your source material.

Since you used YCMaker's product to make money, he is entitled to royalties. And since YCMaker would then be making money from Konami's product, they are entitled to royalties as well.

So making NFTs from the card maker actually violates the fair use act. YCMaker makes no profit off the card maker itself and provides it as a free service which falls perfectly under the fair use act.

So since YCMaker's product is your source material and Konami's product is YCMaker's source material, YCMaker would be obligated to collect royalties from you because I'm pretty sure Konami would be either collecting their royalties or hitting us with a big fat C&D.

You see the issue now?

On 1/18/2022 at 3:56 PM, Horu said:

The problem is here.

Your source material.

Since you used YCMaker's product to make money, he is entitled to royalties. And since YCMaker would then be making money from Konami's product, they are entitled to royalties as well.

So making NFTs from the card maker actually violates the fair use act. YCMaker makes no profit off the card maker itself and provides it as a free service which falls perfectly under the fair use act.

So since YCMaker's product is your source material and Konami's product is YCMaker's source material, YCMaker would be obligated to collect royalties from you because I'm pretty sure Konami would be either collecting their royalties or hitting us with a big fat C&D.

You see the issue now?

Basically Konami will pull nintendo and dueling network bs

3 hours ago, Ankh_Dev said:

Basically Konami will pull nintendo and dueling network bs

Not basically.

You make an NFT using YCMaker's product as your source material, you have to pay YCMaker. YCmaker is now making a profit using Konami's product as his source material, YCmaker now has to pay Konami. Konami is making a profit using Kazuki Takahashi's product as their source material, Konami has to pay Kazuki Takahashi.

So see how that works now?

1 hour ago, Horu said:

Not basically.

You make an NFT using YCMaker's product as your source material, you have to pay YCMaker. YCmaker is now making a profit using Konami's product as his source material, YCmaker now has to pay Konami. Konami is making a profit using Kazuki Takahashi's product as their source material, Konami has to pay Kazuki Takahashi.

So see how that works now?

you wouldn't have to pay ycmaker because he doesn't actually own anything to do with the cards made (and legally cannot claim ownership I believe)

8 hours ago, TheImmaculateDreadLordCowCow said:

you wouldn't have to pay ycmaker because he doesn't actually own anything to do with the cards made (and legally cannot claim ownership I believe)

The issue is the product being used.

Edit: Now YCMaker could keep himself and his product safe since he has the card maker as a free service and claims no responsibility on how it is used. So say the NFTs are made using his product, he can simply say he offers a free service and this keeps him safe under the FUA. But the person making the NFTs can still be persued since they are profiting off of somebody else's product.

Any lawyer in the right mind would advise against it as the prime and secondary source materials are protected by copyright. This being the YGO franchise, which belongs to Kazuki Takahashi and the YGO card game, which is published via Konami.

Archived