Lose the Game competition

hello Broadway

After master duel released and everyone started playing exodia I thought what if there were loose the game cards. The card should have you lose the game somewhere in the cards text and it should be playable but not broken. The lose the game condition has to be something that could reasonably happen, and not something like "if your opponent controls 4 kuriboh tokens you lose the game. I will judge based on playability and creativity. The contest will end on march 1st and the top three will be announced. If anyone is willing to I'd appreciate a second judge to make sure I'm not biased. 

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like nobody came sorry. I'll submit a card in good spirit it's a shame this didn't take off.

@cr47t You made a card recently that would have been perfect for this. I think it was called "Major wager?"

Kuribeating

Spell Continuous

"Kuri" monsters you control gain 500 ATK and DEF times the number of "Kuri" monsters you control. This card is unaffected by card effects while you control a "Kuri" monster. Each time a "Kuri" monster you control is destroyed by battle: add one "Starfall" counter to this card. At the start of each end phase, if you control no monsters special summoned from the ED: you can special summon any number of level 1 "Kuri" monsters. If at the start of the draw phase of your opponent's turn, this card has 5 or more "Starfall" counters, this card is in your GY, or you control less than 3 "Kuri" monsters: you lose the duel.

On 3/5/2022 at 6:22 PM, Loleo said:

The deadline has been met and nobody has participated soooo idk but...

Guees I'll be a late participant

Strength of the Tokens

Continuous Trap

Cannot be destroyed by card effects, while you control a Token. Each time the turn player Special Summons a monster: Twice per turn, they can Special Summon 1 Evolution Token to their side of the field, then, the opposing player declares 1 monster type (Synchro or Link); both players must reveal 1 monster from their Extra Deck of the declared type, and if both do, both players cannot Special Summon monsters from their Extra Deck except the declared type until the end of the next turn. Otherwise, both players banish 1 monster from their Extra Deck. If both players used this effect more than 3 times throughout the Duel, both players lose the Duel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 4:46 PM, Loleo said:

It looks like nobody came sorry. I'll submit a card in good spirit it's a shame this didn't take off.

@cr47t You made a card recently that would have been perfect for this. I think it was called "Major wager?"

Kuribeating

Spell Continuous

"Kuri" monsters you control gain 500 ATK and DEF times the number of "Kuri" monsters you control. This card is unaffected by card effects while you control a "Kuri" monster. Each time a "Kuri" monster you control is destroyed by battle: add one "Starfall" counter to this card. At the start of each end phase, if you control no monsters special summoned from the ED: you can special summon any number of level 1 "Kuri" monsters. If at the start of the draw phase of your opponent's turn, this card has 5 or more "Starfall" counters, this card is in your GY, or you control less than 3 "Kuri" monsters: you lose the duel.

thank you, I love the card 11/12 on creativity, it is a really cool card with really good design and i love how the starfall counters help to balance this card.. for playability i give it a 9/11, it really does help the Kuri archtype just turn into a punch of huge beaters, and a really interesting deck. it probably wouldn't be topping nationals but it would still make kuri decks actually viable. (minor nitpick but i wish you had allowed kuri link monsters like link kuriboh) 1.5/2 on grammar the card was easy to read, but I'm not sure where you're special summoning the Kuri monsters from. total 21.5/25 2nd place

sorry it took me so long, I kind of forgot. But hey i still graded it eventually.

On 3/8/2022 at 2:08 PM, Blue Arcana said:

Guees I'll be a late participant

Strength of the Tokens

Continuous Trap

Cannot be destroyed by card effects, while you control a Token. Each time the turn player Special Summons a monster: Twice per turn, they can Special Summon 1 Evolution Token to their side of the field, then, the opposing player declares 1 monster type (Synchro or Link); both players must reveal 1 monster from their Extra Deck of the declared type, and if both do, both players cannot Special Summon monsters from their Extra Deck except the declared type until the end of the next turn. Otherwise, both players banish 1 monster from their Extra Deck. If both players used this effect more than 3 times throughout the Duel, both players lose the Duel.

so im not 100% sure its right but I'm working under the assumption that the evolution tokens are just basically zone blockers that count as tokens and the card makes it so that when ever a player special summons a card the other player can stop them from link or synchro summoning monsters as long as both players can reveal one extra deck monster of the selected type, and if they don't its banished. for creativity i give you a 10/12 it's a really creative card that could be used in a lot of deck and would probably see quite a bit of play in decks that don't need link monsters or a side deck card for synchro decks. for playability i will give it an 10/11 because it will be a really powerful card for any deck that doesn't need link or synchro monsters, but most of those decks aren't exactly meta defining (except maybe drytron). but yeah over all really cool design, it wouldn't be very fun to play against but fun wasn't a category to judge. but I think I have to give you a 0/2 for grammar because the card was really hard to read and i'm still not 100% sure about what it does, I had to read the card a good 20 times to just try and guess what it does. I'm really sorry but I do think you had a really cool card design considering I understand the card correctly. total 20/25 3rd place.

Major Wager

Continuous Spell

Unaffected by other card effects. This card's effects cannot be negated. You can only control one face-up "Major Wager". When this card is activated, or at the start of your Main Phase 1, activate one of the following effects that have not been activated this Duel by the effect of "Major Wager" (this is not optional):

-Shuffle 1 other card on the field back into the Deck.

-Draw 2 cards, then banish 1 card from your hand face-down.

-Special Summon 1 monster from either players' Graveyard, but it loses 800 ATK.

-You lose the Duel.

ok, i reread and found major wager so i'm actually going to include that, sorry i didn't respond. ok I absolutely love this card effect, It's really powerful, but not insanely so and it comes with the drawback of putting you on a 4 turn clock, but it still gives you a lot of power to be able to get back in. creativity 10/12, this is a really well designed card and it is a really cool c and in how it works. It seems like an effect from magic the gathering translated into yugioh. 11/11 for balance, this card seems like it very easily could be printed and it could be a staple in most combo decks but it is punished by any competent control strategy, and while an opponent beating your board puts you in a bit of bad position the continued effectiveness of the card could help keep  in you the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as an ultra rare in some upcoming set. grammar 2/2 it is very clear what the card does and it reads just like an official yugioh card. 23/25 1st place

the competition is closed

On 3/21/2022 at 11:49 AM, hello Broadway said:

thank you, I love the card 11/12 on creativity, it is a really cool card with really good design and i love how the starfall counters help to balance this card.. for playability i give it a 9/11, it really does help the Kuri archtype just turn into a punch of huge beaters, and a really interesting deck. it probably wouldn't be topping nationals but it would still make kuri decks actually viable. (minor nitpick but i wish you had allowed kuri link monsters like link kuriboh) 1.5/2 on grammar the card was easy to read, but I'm not sure where you're special summoning the Kuri monsters from. total 21.5/25 2nd place

sorry it took me so long, I kind of forgot. But hey i still graded it eventually.

I meant to Special summon from the hand or GY sorry that's unlike me.

21 hours ago, Blue Arcana said:

Ye, now that I re-read it I can understand why u had trouble figuring it out, but yea Zone Block Tokens to stop your opponent from Synchro or Link climbing too high.

Yeah tokens still need Type attribute ATK DEF but it's a minor point relevant to this.

23 hours ago, hello Broadway said:

but man all of three of your submisions were amazing

Your grading was fair and you gave excellent feedback thanks for an amazing contest.

Archived