[SR13] Dark World Punishment

https://ygorganization.com/sr13-dark-world-punishment/

image.thumb.png.81c51729bdbf09bb8dce6216e5273aac.png

SR13-JP034 暗黒界の懲罰 Ankokukai no Choubatsu (Dark World Punishment)
Trap/Counter
You can only use the (1) and (2) effect of this card’s name once per turn.
(1) When a monster(s) would be Normal or Special Summoned: Negate the Summon, and if you do, destroy that monster(s), then discard 1 Fiend monster.
(2) If a “Dark World” monster(s) you control would be destroyed by battle or an opponent’s card efect, you can banish this card from your GY instead.

As an avid Dark World user, I'm not a fan of the fact it can negate a summon for a benefit. Usually this type of card effect would say "Discard a fiend monster, and if you do, negate the summon" so that you actually need to have a fiend monster in your hand to activate in the first place. The way it's currently worded means you can negate any monster summon for free, but if you have a Dark World monster, then you also get a benefit on top of that, and that's way too strong in my opinion as an experienced Dark World user.

As for the second effect, I would've preferred if it instead said "Banish this card from the GY and discard a fiend monster instead" that way, again, there's a condition to fulfill, but in exchange you get an added benefit to your protection.

All in all, I really like this card but I personally believe it would be better with my suggestions. Now all that's left is some form of reliable drawing/recovery so that you don't run out of steam in 1 turn.

I'm not sure I follow your comment @KH911. This card does need a Fiend to activate the effect. The discard is mandatory, so if you cannot discard a Fiend, you cannot activate the card. The only reason it's worded so weirdly is to make it clear that it's not discarding for cost.

As for the last part of your comment, I was kinda curious. Is Library and Perl not enough drawing/recovery? My friend irl plays Danger/Dark World sometimes, and it's pretty rare for him to run out of gas.

29 minutes ago, Redro said:

I'm not sure I follow your comment @KH911. This card does need a Fiend to activate the effect. The discard is mandatory, so if you cannot discard a Fiend, you cannot activate the card. The only reason it's worded so weirdly is to make it clear that it's not discarding for cost.

As for the last part of your comment, I was kinda curious. Is Library and Perl not enough drawing/recovery? My friend irl plays Danger/Dark World sometimes, and it's pretty rare for him to run out of gas.

I was just confused by the wording as it made it seem like the discard is optional. As for the second comment, I wasn't aware of library, that is definitely a much needed card and should provide enough draw power alongside broww, Gate, and dealings. Perl is good but I would've preferred the option to return the targets to hand so it can discarded again.

The thing is, the Dark World playstyle doesn't have a specific goal, you just want to discard them. None of their effects have any real synergy, but the fact that they all activate by being discarded is what makes them fit together. So as long as a card's effect includes discarding a Fiend, it belongs. This card fills a niche role in that its the only Dark World card to provide negation of some form, it's definitely needed in the current meta.

For example Dark Smog banishes from the GY, Dark World dealings draws a card, Dark World lightning destroys backrow, and Brainwashing negates monster effects. What those have in common isn't what they do, but that they discard a fiend in addition to what they do.

Edit: It also protects them from destruction which helps against things like Raigeki or Lightning storm. Can't count the number of times that I set up a full board of Dark World monsters just to get hit by Raigeki and lose the game.

9 hours ago, KH911 said:

The thing is, the Dark World playstyle doesn't have a specific goal, you just want to discard them. None of their effects have any real synergy, but the fact that they all activate by being discarded is what makes them fit together. So as long as a card's effect includes discarding a Fiend, it belongs. This card fills a niche role in that its the only Dark World card to provide negation of some form, it's definitely needed in the current meta. [...]

Not true, the specific goal is to keep going and digging deeper into the deck, while collecting pluses with Grapha, Reing-Beaux etc, while building up board presence.

Dark World Punishment does not help with that and in the worst case interrupts this, by clogging the hand up with something that is not another combo extender.

9 hours ago, KH911 said:

[...]

For example Dark Smog banishes from the GY, Dark World dealings draws a card, Dark World lightning destroys backrow, and Brainwashing negates monster effects. What those have in common isn't what they do, but that they discard a fiend in addition to what they do.

[...]

The issue is that not a single one those is good. Dark World Dealings is incredibly dangerous, since it also gives the same to the opponent and is usually only played at 1 copy as an emergency extender searchable by Snoww. None of the others see any play.

9 hours ago, KH911 said:

[...]

Edit: It also protects them from destruction which helps against things like Raigeki or Lightning storm. Can't count the number of times that I set up a full board of Dark World monsters just to get hit by Raigeki and lose the game.

Why would that final board not be Extra Deck monsters summoned out with all the swarming though ?

You can easily end on Apollousa, Draglubion, Titanic Galaxy and now also the Grapha fusion.

I am not denying that it can be nice to have, however it only protects the Grapha fusion (which by then would have already used it's effect and can go to the bin, while floating) or monsters that have no business being on the board one ends the turn on.

Dark world punishment negates a summon, in many cases that completely stops the opponent's turn. It may not be an extender, but it's powerful disruption, just like any hand trap, solemn judgement, etc.

Also you'd be surprised how strong the cards I mentioned are. Dark smog can banish from the opponent's GY AT anytime, since half the decks now use the GY, it can disrupt plays. Brainwashing had a hefty condition, but it's potentially an infinite use monster negate, and has single handedly turned games around for me. Just because they're not extenders or they're not consistent doesn't make them bad. It's good to have niche cards that are extremely powerful in certain situations. 

As for why I don't end on a board of extra deck negation monsters...that's boring. I like to stay within the theme of the archetype, and I like giving my opponent a chance to play. I keep those bullshit generic omninegates as far away from me as possible.

Archived