Edge of Justice - Ended.

Kale

Why is it that you will stay with the fan fic below (if you will).  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Why is it that you will stay with the fan fic below (if you will).

• Because you like the way its written.
    • because you like the duel field pics
    • becuase you like the story line.
    • All of the above.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who said it?! And yes' date=' yes I do.

[/quote']

Umbra did in his third revision of the rules. ^_^ he said that was the only thing i needed to change, if i wanted too. my fic fit in with the rest of the laws...

btw: chapter 15 is almost done. please post so that i dont double post to add it. ^_^

[spoiler=Vol. 1, Chapter 15]

Chapter 15

“I don’t understand how this keeps happening!”

“It isn’t our fault sir.”

“Then who’s is it?”

The chief was angry. He had been looking for Kal for many months now, and nothing had turned up. It didn’t help that he was now being forced to look for him for bad reasons. He thought that all their problems could be solved by putting Kal on the news, which had been done, and the whole city could be looking for him too. 100,000 pairs of eyes and ears should find something, right?

They found something, all right. A flaw in the logic of the police force.

That day that the DFP office had put a picture of Kal Iszarc on the news was a day of tragedy. People began to show up in front of the police station, showing up for their support of Kal. No one understood why the police were after a person that was helping keep their streets clear.

Many DFP officers arrested those that were helping Kal. They were stuck into the jail cells only 100 feet from where they were standing. Only there soon wasn’t enough space for all of them. And not soon after the word had spread about what was happening, more people began to go to the Police Station and invoke their right to assembly.

It has been a day since they issued their broadcast, and there was a mob forming outside the station.

“This mob must be neutralized.” The chief said, looking out a slit between his blinds.

The Cyborg standing in front of him nodded his head once then backed out the room.

“I ask, why must we search for Kal?”

Lance Brodorn was sitting in a chair next to the door in the chief’s office. The chief turned around and faced him.

“Oh, not you too.” The chief sat down behind his desk and took off his glasses.

“I have been asking this question since day one. What harm has Kal done to the society for helping us out?”

“It isn’t his place for him to be helping the Police, it is our job, and we can do it.”

“Apparently not very well. If an average man on the street can do this job better than a force of people and Cyborgs, what does that say for the Station?”

“Even more reason to apprehend him.” The chief said with malice.

Lance leaned forward, resting his forearms on his knees and clasping his hands together in front of him.

“But why?” Lance asked.

The chief stared at the tall, thin man. He looked like he were thirty, but that was not true. He was just a few years older than Kal, in his early twenties. They had been raised together in the orphanage, Kal and Lance. It seemed like only yesterday that the chief had been called to the scene of Kal’s parent’s murders, and the day that he had been placed in foster care.

No one wanted him, which was the strangest thing. When expecting parents-to-be came in the offices, they always looked at Kal like he was spoiled goods. No one wanted to adopt a child who’s parents had been taken from him, but they were more than willing to take children who’s parents didn’t want them.

As he chief looked at Lance, he saw that same small, naive boy that was never picked in the orphanage along with Kal. He could never grasp the big picture of things.

“Because he is making us all look bad.”

“I don’t understand why that is a bad thing, chief.” Lance said.

“If Kal makes the people of the city that are supposed to serve and protect its citizens look as if they can’t do their job, then we will be put out of business. We won’t be able to serve the community, as no one will support us. Everything will be thrown into chaos.”

“With people like Kal on the streets, do you really think that it will be thrown into chaos?”

“Well… I…” the chief stammered, trying to come up with an answer.

Lance stood up off his chair.

“That’s what I thought. You are always ready to take a stand against the people that are helping, chief, and are not willing to try and help them help us.”

The chief stood up behind his desk.

“‘Help him help us’?” the chief asked, “I fired him because he couldn’t do his job.”

“And it seems that he still can’t?”

The chief hesitated. Lance looked him right in the eye.

“Kal can win. You never supported him after his loss against Joel Karne. You forced more work on him after that than you had forced on him before. He was only 17! He graduated early from the Continental Duel Academy, even his teacher Joey Wheeler was impressed by his grades and dueling style! But you couldn’t see that he was still a child. He was only a kid, and he was out upstaging you all from the very beginning. You hated Kal, even if you think you didn’t, you did. You despised him for being so good, and when he lost you exploited it. You forced him into a corner, and for that he couldn’t even light a match without feeling that he would set something on fire. For your own actions you made Kal into a nobody, and you forced him out of your city. But when he came back, you knew that he wouldn’t be stopped. And now you are on a vendetta to stop him again.”

Lance stormed out the office. He hadn’t realized that his voice had gotten loud enough for the entire precinct to hear, and they had been listening. After he came out the door, everyone seemed to ‘un-freeze’ when they realized that they were standing there. Immediately everyone seemed like they were busy when they really weren’t.

Lance grabbed his coat from the coat rack behind his deck and went out into the chilly atmosphere of early November.

----

“Incredible! In one turn, Talia has managed to get a lead on Kal, having double the Life Points of him. She may not need to have 11 Vacant Monsters to win after all.” Roland commentated.

His voice had broken the silence in the crowd. Everyone had been holding their breath as they saw this epic duel go back and forth, and right now Talia was passed the buck.

“I end my turn.” Hand: 1.

Kal: 2000.

Talia: 4200.

Kal seemed to be going crazy. He knew what he would draw, but would that save him? Could he pull this off? Could he win after all?

Kal drew his card. Hand: 5.

Talia had 5 monsters on the field, one of them being in the Field Spell Zone. Two of them can be attacked, because they are ‘Vacantic’ and not ‘Vacant’ and the effect of jumping over them to attack directly doesn’t apply to them. But they are still included in the effect of the Acquisition of Recognition, meaning that they cant be attacked until they get the monster off the field that is allowing this to happen, the Vacant Blaster.

The Vacant Monsters cant be destroyed with monster effects, so the effect of Kal’s Legion’s Daemon Monarch would do effectively nothing. That is why Talia wasn’t in a big hurry to destroy it when Kal told him of his ‘plan.’ Kal must be getting better at hiding his powers, because Talia hadn’t even sensed that it was a bluff. That one card that she had must not be a Trap, because she didn’t lay it face down.

But Kal had a plan already in motion, and there was no stopping it.

Kal drew his Legion’s Guardian of Justice – Iserith, because he added that to the top of his deck by his Legion’s Card Relocater’s effect. But the Card Relocater also gives him the option to draw an extra card during the Standby Phase, so Kal took that opportunity.

Hand: 6.

Kal looked through his cards. He only needed one card to fix his strategy, and that was Iserith. He had it. Kal had already won.

He smiled.

Talia decided to take a peak into his thoughts. What she saw made her gasp, but it wasn’t his strategy that she saw.

All of a sudden, the link between their minds became stronger, like two rivers coming together into one stream, mixing their current so they would get faster. They were connected at the core of their minds, everything they thought was heard by the other one without trying, it was just natural.

“What is this?” Kal asked in his head, the representation of himself in his ‘mind form’ speaking the thought.

“I have no idea…” Talia thought.

“What is going on then?”

The world was a light shade of green, and they were in the middle of it. There were no walls. There was no floor. There was no light.

But it was lit.

There were no shadows. Everything just was.

“What happened?” Talia wondered aloud.

“Maybe I can be of assistance.” A deep voice sounded, far away.

Talia and Kal turned to see a man walking up to them. It was Bill Utilis, wearing his thin tank top and loose jeans.

“Who’s this guy?” Talia asked.

“This is the man in shadow, I unmasked him and chained him down in my mind. Somehow he escaped.”

“Indeed I did.” Bill said, “And it had to do with this mind meld between you two. You see, you both have similar powers, and similar strength. Your mind’s signature of this strength is nearly identical to each other, and they connected. You are essentially two parts of the same mind, call it a split personality of each other. This inconsistency broke the foundations of your minds, and they started to unravel. This allowed my release from your ‘prison’ of sorts.”

Kal stood staring at the man, intrigued, but at the same time very confused. Talia seemed to be understanding every bit of it.

“You are saying that we are so similar that we connected, and we are in the process of being sewn together at the mind?”

“Correct. The bricks are starting to be laid now.”

Kal turned and saw an ancient stone appear from no where and land on the floor. Opposite it was a dull orange one that appeared in the same fashion, sitting across from it like a mirror image.

“What does this mean for us?” Kal wondered.

“If you don’t find a way to stop this mind meld, there wont be a way of separating you two. You would be forever connected to each other, no matter where you go. You would still have control over your own body, but sometimes the other will get control…” Bill trailed off.

Talia looked at him, “You seem to know a lot about this stuff.”

“More than you can imagine.” Bill said.

“How do we stop it?” Kal asked anxiously.

Bill looked over at him, “I believe that the only way to stop this is by a break in this repetitive motion. I bet the strain of one of you losing the current duel would stop this from happening, as one would be in grief and the other in delight. This might be enough to pry apart the two parts of your minds from each other.”

Talia looked to Kal, “You know what that means. Its your move Kal.”

“It’s a good thing that I have the winning move.” Kal said.

Talia looked at him with curiosity, “How? Your monsters feature destruction effects and attacking, and I have stopped them both very effectively. There is no way around it.”

“Unless I don’t destroy them.” Kal said.

This time Talia looked very confused, like that was ever going to happen in Kal’s deck.

“I will show you.” Kal said, and he went back to his bodily place. It felt a bit weird for his body to be in one place when he felt that he was in two. He could feel what Talia’s body was feeling: how she was standing, how sweat was dripping down the side of her face, how her arm was so rigid with anxiety that it felt like it was going to snap.

Kal started the end.

“I Summon my Iserith to gain its ability, to add an Ally Monster in my Deck to my hand.”

The monster that looked very much like Kal appeared once more to the field. ATK: 1800 / LV: 4.

Kal searched though his deck to find a card.

‘Curse his ability to search his deck at will.’ He heard in his head. He paused and looked up at Talia with a playful look on his face. She blushed.

Kal added the card to his hand. Hand: 6.

“To summon this new monster, I must tribute an entire Stack of monsters that has at least 3 Vectors. So, thanks to you, I have that. I release my Legion’s Defense Power, Legion’s Blocker Daemon, and Legion’s Card Relocater in the same Stack to Summon the card to your end!” Kal said.

The three monsters started to glow, and they started to merge into one another. The creation turned colorlessly white, and started to morph into a creature with wings. Big wings.

“Meet my newest Ally, the Legion’s Sky Commander – Currasino!”

The monster’s color started to take, and soon it was revealed. A monster that resembled the Blue Eyes White Dragon, only it was a deep shade of green. ATK: 2600 / LV: 9.

Iserith: ATK: 1800 ~ 2400.

“What can that do?” Talia asked. She actually took a step back.

“This monster has an even better ability than the destruction cards. She adds cards on the field to the owner’s hands! By discarding one card, I can send as many cards on the field to the owner’s hand as I have Vectors in the Stack. Since she is in the Stack with Legion’s Daemon Monarch, that is treated as 2 Vectors, so two of your cards are placed in your hand.”

Talia gasped. Kal grinned.

“That is what I thought.” Kal said, “I send you Vacant Blaster and your Tolo – Vacantic Striker back to your hand!”

Talia picked the two cards up off her duel disk, and the two monsters just disappeared from the field.

“Now that the only monsters you control are one Vacantic Monster and a Vacant Monster, I cant attack you directly until I get rid of your Yuido – Arched Foul Idol. So I attack that with my Iserith!”

The warrior raised its sword and slashed it though the monster, destroying it instantly.

Talia: 4200 ~ 3200.

“Now the only cards you control are Vacant Monsters. By their effect, I am allowed to attack…”

“Just finish it already.” Talia interjected.

“As you wish.” He said.

The Sky Commander and the Health Itinerant both raised their hands and attacked Talia with their abilities. There was no stopping the attack.

Talia: 3200 ~ 0.

There was a moment where there was total silence. No one spoke, no one breathed.

Roland looked around and stood up.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, your winner of this year’s Palmarium Tournament: Kal Iszarc!!”

The crowd erupted. It helped that they all stood to their feet at the same time to add to that illusion. Everyone was clapping and cheering for Kal. He felt so … happy. This was definitely the highlight of his last six and a half months.

He couldn’t say the same for Talia. The mind meld was still in place, unaffected in the outcome as of yet. She was falling apart on the inside.

‘You okay?’ Kal wondered, even though he knew she wasn’t.

‘It’s just that I have worked so hard for a place to stay, and now it was taken from me. You don’t know what it is like growing up a child prodigy.’

‘Actually, I do.’ Kal thought.

Talia glanced at him.

‘You do?’

‘Yes. I was some duelist when I was in first grade. I cant remember it, but my teachers were amazed. I was taught by Joey Wheeler in the Continental Duel Academy before I was pulled out to be in the DFP.’

‘That sounds very … prodigy-like.’ She said.

Kal laughed, and Talia with him. Kal walked up to her and pulled her into a bear hug.

“I know what it is like to think you have lost it all. You of all people know that. It ends up good in the end, I know from experience.”

Talia was taken by surprise when this happened, at first unwilling to return the embrace. But she softened and returned the favor.

The crowd was touched by this, and cheered even louder.

It seemed that out of no where Pegasus showed up next to them.

“Kal, very well done! And as your prize…” He reached into his pocket and pulled out a gold key, “…your key to your penthouse suite.”

Kal took it, and looked at it for a minute. He just realized that he would no longer have to go back to his house, the falling apart, almost-shack in Aequitas. He would have this house here, in Succurro. In the Palmarium, of all places!

The embrace and this thought aided together to make Talia’s mind go into separate directions from Kal’s. There minds began to unfold from underneath each other.

It felt like a great tugging sensation, like the pages of two phonebooks shuffled together, so their combined friction aided in their ability to stay together.

It was almost to the point of pain that they were pulled away from each other, secluded in their own minds once more.

Talia actually passed out in Kal’s arms from the pain. Kal had to lay her on the ground so that he could get some help, and soon the paramedics were taking her from the dueling arena to their basement hospital. Kal wondered if this is what it looked like when he passed out here.

Zandra looked at him through the stands with hurt eyes. Even though he never said anything to her about a relationship, she still thought they were in one. She stood up with her two friends and walked out of the dueling arena.

‘So much for ‘it’s not you, it’s me.’’ Kal thought.

Kal sighed, ‘at least I wont have to break it too her.’

----

Kal walked up to his floor. He didn’t feel like riding the elevator. Too short of a ride. He wanted time to think.

What would he do now? Now he had two bases: one in Aequitas and one in Succurro. Nothing tied him to these places other than his things; both places were paid for in full.

Would he finally go after Joel Karne and bring him to justice?

Would he try to reason with the cops and try to get his job back?

He couldn’t do the latter without the former, he decided, so his option seemed obvious to him.

He walked by the coffee shop, he could tell from the rich coffee smell from this part of the stairs. That meant that he was close to the top.

When he reached the top of the staircase, it lead to a door that was locked from the other side, most likely to keep anyone with good enough lock pick skills out of the penthouse. Kal was forced to go back down to the coffee room and enter it from the elevator.

When he got inside the elevator, he noticed a keyhole next to the set of buttons for the floors. This was at the top of the list. Kal assumed that this was what he needed for his entry into his apartment.

Kal took out the key and placed it into the hole. It didn’t need to be turned; the elevator recognized it as the entry key immediately.

The elevator went up the last few feet for the apartment, and then the doors opened.

The apartment was lavish. Lavish wasn’t even a good word for it.

Compared to how he had been living for the last few months, this was paradise.

The entire apartment was the size of the entire floor span of the hotel, which gave him plenty of space. It was like his own personal mansion way above the city of Succurro.

The front entryway had a few lounge chairs and tables. It was very well lit, maybe timed to turn on automatically when the elevator had someone up to the top level?

The hall was straight ahead, so he walked right on through. It wasn’t very long, maybe a few feet. But this hall had a few closets on one side, one for coats and one for linens, and a bathroom on the other side.

Through the short hallway was the entry into the great room.

The kitchen was the closest to the hall, just to your right as you entered the room. It was cut off from the room only by a breakfast bar, but other than that it was as much a part of the room as the couch was.

The living room was straight ahead of Kal, three large couches were surrounding the biggest television he had ever seen.

‘Pegasus went all out on this, didn’t he?’ Kal thought.

The space was large, but there was one more door for him to walk through. Kal knew where that led.

He opened the pocket door and walked into the grand bedroom, about half the size of the great room that he had just passed by.

It had a huge four-poster bed on the middle of the wall, which was the first thing to jump out at you. On either side were matching sets of drawers, empty of course. There was a television in this room too, on the wall to the right. It wasn’t as large as the one in the great room, but it was still a nice size.

On the left of the room were two doors. One lead to a master bath from what Kal could see from the open door, but the other door was closed.

Kal walked over and opened this closed door to find a study.

It was a nicely sized office, with a large wooden desk in the middle of the room. One wall had built in bookcases that had a few books in it already. On the desk was a brand new laptop, the box it came in was still on the table.

“Its brilliant, isn’t it?”

Kal turned and looked behind the door, where a person was standing blocked from his view.

It was a tall man who looked to be in his late twenties. He had thick brown hair that was combed over to one side and hung in his face. He wore a dark green jacket, one that you would see on an officer that went into combat. His lapels were adorned with many awards, showing how high of a rank he was. Only, Kal didn’t recognize those trinkets to be military.

“Who are you?” Kal asked.

“Whoa, take it easy there, Kal…”

“How do you know my name? How are you in here anyway?” Kal asked.

“One question at a time, pal. My name is General Gregory Pravus, of the DPF of Aequitas.”

‘Oh crap, they found me.’ Kal thought.

“What are you here for?” Kal asked, trying to hide his anxiety.

“You. I need you, Kal.”

“What for?”

“I am afraid that telling you is confidential.”

“I am in the DPF.” Kal said.

“No, you were before you were fired and became a vigilante. I do my homework, Kal.”

Kal wasn’t surprised, but he wasn’t going to hand himself to this man on a silver platter.

“Are you going to cooperate?” Gregory asked.

Kal looked at him, confused.

“It seems that he won’t. Drug him.” Gregory said.

Before he knew what was happening, Kal was being grabbed by men that were too strong for their height and age group. Cyborgs.

They pressed something to his neck, and soon he felt drowsy.

“Don’t harm him, and don’t let him lose any of his cards. We will need those…”

His voice trailed off, fading into the blackness.

----

Kal awoke with a feeling that he was hanging on a wall, somewhere above the floor. It didn’t feel like he was upside-down, but his arms were stretched out to their sides and he couldn’t move.

He had trouble forcing his eyes to open, like he was very tired. But his mind couldn’t have felt the most free.

It was almost effortless to think, like things were just laid before him to understand. He didn’t understand how this was possible, only that is was.

“Sir,” a calm, emotionless voice called, “It seems that he is waking.”

“Ah, splendid,” a man said. The voice was familiar.

Kal forced his eyes to open, trying to focus on where he was.

“How was your sleep? I trust it suited you well,” the man said. It was Gregory.

“Where am I?” Kal asked.

Gregory looked like he wasn’t expecting a response. He looked over to a man in the corner of the room, surrounded by computer screens. All he did was stare at Gregory.

Gregory looked over to Kal, “Who programmed you to ask questions?”

Kal glared at him, “What are you talking about?”

Gregory seemed to be caught off guard again.

“Who is screwing around with my project?” Gregory asked to no one in particular.

“The records say that the only one to enter the room was you, sir,” the man in the corner said.

Gregory turned back to Kal, “How are you doing this?”

“Um, speech? The same way you do it, you idiot…”

“No, how are you using your speech at will? You havnt been programmed to do this…”

“Wait, programmed? What do you mean, ‘programmed’?”

Gregory stared into his eyes, “You don’t realize it do you?”

Kal stared back at him.

Gregory sighed, “How do you think you are attached to that wall, when there are no latches or straps?”

Kal looked over to his arms, noticing that he indeed seemed to be floating there. That is when he noticed that he was in a thin shirt and shorts, not the things he was wearing before.

He also noticed something odd with his skin. It was oddly perfect…

“What did you do to my clothes?”

“It is part of the procedure that we provide you with new clothes.”

Kal again looked over to Gregory, “Procedure?”

Gregory sighed again.

“You are attached to an electromagnet. Why do you think that is?”

Kal looked to his arm. It all started to click, and very fast at that. The reason that he could think real fast and easy, the reason that he was attached to an electromagnet, the reason that his skin looked more perfect than normal, the reason that he seemed to be looked at funny when he showed emotion, all started to make sense.

“You get it now, don’t you?”

Kal looked over to Gregory with fear, hoping that his intentions weren’t true.

“Kal, you have been recruited into the Cyborg Program of the DPF,” Gregory said.

Kal dropped his head in defeat.

End of Volume One.

I am glad you guys like it. ^_^

Questions:

The next volume should be coming out soon.

The volumes should have around 15 chapters to them all.

----

Anywho, characters from my latest contest will make their debut.

One will have a role that you didn't expect. ;)

I hope you all like volume 2: destruction.

What was your opinion of volume 1: evolution?

Thank you all for reading. ^_^

But you didn't win the contest. . .

It is I, Rusty McCarson who will save Kal with my Enemies of Truth!

Oh, and by the name of 'Destruction' you mean my amazing Enemies of Truth, yes!

Oh, and please make my character at least hurt you twice, please?

I don't want his awesomeness to go away.

A hidden role? Interesting. Oh, and can I be your advisor in the fic?

Archived