Edge of Justice - Ended.

Kale

Why is it that you will stay with the fan fic below (if you will).  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Why is it that you will stay with the fan fic below (if you will).

• Because you like the way its written.
    • because you like the duel field pics
    • becuase you like the story line.
    • All of the above.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. No idea, probably something to do with Kal's rather odd mind, makes for an interesting experiment.

2. Joel Karn is probably the man behind the man, the silent orchestrator. His motives? I have no idea.

3. Now that he is no longer needed and Kal's rather rude stomping out of him, odds are he'll be debating whether to help Kal, or maim him.

4. As referred to in my 1. The cyborg was probably an experiment, they will most likely try to amplify his powers rather then eliminate them, whther they succeed... Meh.

5. Sounds like a reference to his soul, or someone elses... Edit: or even his powers/abilities!

6. Don't see her doing much important, but anything is possible. Maybe he once knew her, meh.

7. Good question, makes you wonder how 'savory' his dad was...

8. meh, he might be alive, he might not be, we'll see. Odds are he survived.

9. Very likely, who and why i don't know. But it would make a nice recollection, like these spoilers :).

10. Doesn't sound important... But meh, it might be worth a laugh if they get cornered in there or something.

11. I thought being captured and turned into a cyborg WAS the catch LOL. Seriously though, he'll probably be expected to enter a few tournaments.

12. Toughy, they probably are. But are carefully regulated on what they DO. And probably try to suppress the mind, but the odds of completely suppressing the mind is unlikely. Sparks of rebellion may appear in the cyborg ranks...

13. Either he will be trapped and experimented as to why he is able to do what other cyborgs cannot, or sent on missions for them.

Those are just my ideas/thoughts anyway, can't wait to see the TRUTH!

Interesting, the spoiler brought up many good points and i hope that CH:16 will clear a few of them up.

P.S. I can't wait for CH:16.

P.S.S. I thought I saw a mob at your house so you should probly hurry.

P.S.S.S. Don't hurry to quick because quality is better than quanity.

wow, aelsthla mental, you are very close to some of them. ^_^ as always you go above and beyond for your response. ^_^

I won't tell you what your close on though. But one of your points was spot on. Erie actually that you guessed it. XD

Thanks tankiller. ^_^ I appreciate that.

I thought you all would like these. ^_^

yes, it should. i have three days of rest this weekend, so i shouldnt have a problem writing the rest. i have already written a lot on it already, and the strange thing is that i havnt gotten to Kal yet... XD

i will leave that little bit of information on the table. who could i be talking about for, say, 5 pages on word? XD

thanks for reading, my friend. ^_^

hi Kale. dunt think you remember me, but i've followed this story since the beginning. i must say, you have come a long way and have matured into a great writer and member. this fan fic has inspired me to begin my own. thank you for all your hard work...

way back when (i think it's on one of the first 5 pages) i told you that your fan fic was becoming one of mah faves --- but it's still not up there on the #1 spot. i dunno, something just smells wrong. the flow of the storyline of volume 1 seems a bit random, almost as if you just wrote most of it from the top of your head. meh, maybe it's just me, but it feels as if you're making up the story as we move along...

hey, dunt mind me. it's not like i've got an award-winning fan fic or anything like that. lol...!

hi Kale. dunt think you remember me' date=' but i've followed this story since the beginning. i must say, you have come a long way and have matured into a great writer and member. this fan fic has inspired me to begin my own. thank you for all your hard work...

way back when (i think it's on one of the first 5 pages) i told you that your fan fic was becoming one of mah faves --- but it's still not up there on the #1 spot. i dunno, something just smells wrong. the flow of the storyline of volume 1 seems a bit random, almost as if you just wrote most of it from the top of your head. meh, maybe it's just me, but it feels as if you're making up the story as we move along...

hey, dunt mind me. it's not like i've got an award-winning fan fic or anything like that. lol...!

[/quote']

i remember you. ^_^

thanks for pointing that out, because you are correct. But dont worry, when i post Chapter 16: Freedom today sometime you will see that there is a general plot.

the first volume didnt, and i dont like it. but this volume will be great.

stick around and read it when it comes out today? would you like a subscription? ^_^

Volume 2: Destruction

[spoiler=[b]Chapter 16: Freedom[/b]]

“I stand before you today as the voice of reason…” a man said. He wasn’t a very menacing man at first glance. He looked rather … normal. He stood about six foot tall and had short blonde hair that was combed very straight with the front spiked up over his forehead. He was wearing a dark suit with a white shirt and deep blue tie.

The man was talking to a camera of sorts, the ones that you would see recording your favorite television shows.

“…You seemed to have forgotten the meaning of ‘rights.’ Well, let me explain what that means…”

The man seemed to be standing on a stage, but not toward any audience. Behind him were thick curtains, drawn completely. The man was almost in darkness, except a lit lamp behind him on a table.

“…You have been stealing the innocence of your townspeople to benefit yourselves. Most people would not have noticed something as small as what you did, but I am no common man. I have noticed your trend…”

The man was confident and well presented, but he seemed to be talking to no one. He stood at a podium in front of this camera, alone. The man picked up a pile of papers and faced them toward the camera.

“…Over the last fifteen years you have increased taxes of all of your citizens by miniscule amounts. Now that isn’t so bad, that happens all the time. But you purposely didn’t tell any of your citizens about it. Not one. That’s not as bad as what came next…”

From behind thin framed glasses the man scanned the pages in front of him to find what he would next talk about.

“…Fifteen years ago you created a project that would take twelve years to complete, the building of your major icon, the Palmarium. But what was amazing was that you had no money in your budget to do it! Needless to say, you continued. But where did the money come from to do it? What a coincidence! That was the same time that you raised the taxes of your citizens! But wait, it gets better…”

The man began to shuffle through the papers again.

“…At that very same time, you all got a huge bonus! What I mean is, you all started to get more money per month than you had been for, say, the last few months. So this is what I have concluded, gentlemen…”

The clean cut man walked out from behind his podium and walked to face the camera. He put his hand in his coat pocket, a sign that he was perfectly at ease with what he was talking about.

“…You have stolen. Not only for the city, but for your benefit as well. This is wrong, gentlemen. Say it with me, W-R-O-N-G.”

The men on the other side of the camera were sitting in their conference room watching this as it happened. It was a board of seven people, all wearing suits. They were the top members of the city of Succurro, the elected group to rule their oligarchy.

They were calm at first, a bit startled that their conversation with Neo-Domino City’s city board was cut off, but they were calm at least. Now all the members were starting to get on edge. Their secret was revealed.

The man in the seventh chair, the closest to the screen on the left side of the table, raised his voice first, “And where exactly did you gather this information? What you are suggesting is preposterous…”

The man on the camera smiled. “I hacked into your mainframe and gathered this data the old fashioned way.” The man almost started laughing, “You think I would come here and present my case with faulty information? Gentlemen, you clearly have no clue who I am…”

The Person in the fifth chair, on the opposite side of the table from the seventh chair, spoke next, “No. We don’t know who you are. Who exactly are you?”

The man smiled again, “In due time, gentlemen. Now, onto today’s main topic, the new ruler of Succurro.”

All seven men looked at each other in confusion.

The man in the third chair, on the left hand side of the head seat, spoke. “What do you mean?”

The man started pacing in front of the camera. “Well, I mean, obviously you seven are unfit to govern this place. You steal from your own citizens! The government is nothing without its people, and what do you think they will do when this information is released?”

The second chair, on the right of the head seat, spoke, “You wouldn’t dare.”

The man cocked an eyebrow, “You think I would bluff this? Well, to prove my point, let’s see who our audience for this evening is…”

The man pulled the podium out of the way of the camera’s view, leaving only the low table in front of it. It wouldn’t obstruct the view of whatever was behind the heavy curtain.

“This, gentlemen, is the reason why we are here.” The man said as the curtain started on its own, it seemed, to move out of the way.

As the fabric drew back, it revealed a mass crowd of people. It looked like the floor was actually the stage of a grand auditorium, so large that it had to have three levels above the ground floor to completely use the entire space.

Every seat was filled. People were in the stairways, and even some were on the front of the stage.

All of the men gasped at once.

“This is your city, your people, of Succurro. Never seen them all at once, have you?” the man asked.

All six of the men looked at the man in the head seat, wondering what to do. The head closed his eyes for a moment, and then asked, “What do you want?”

The man smiled, knowing that he had won without a fight.

“I have already made that apparent, gentlemen. I want your city.”

Some of the men stood up, outraged, saying incomplete sentences of fury, like “…You can’t be serious…” or “…Unbelievable…”

The head stayed sitting. He seemed unreasonably calm in this situation.

“You can’t expect me to give up my place for a lawyer, such as yourself, do you? No matter what you say, there is no way that you can. We have the ability too…”

“Too do what?” the man interjected, “Call on your other friends to help? Too late, I have them too. See, after this city I will only have two cities left to control, Neo-Domino City and Aequitas.”

The head of Succurro’s eyes grew wide from shock, and from terror.

“Y-you control the … world?” he asked.

The man grinned even bigger, “Yes. I do. See, all societies have some problem with them, and all I have to do is convince the townspeople to believe with me, and that usually isn’t a problem when the faults of their town are pointed out. Believe it or not, the entire town, besides you, agrees with me. Now I will have this town at all costs. It is your choice, your final choice as head of Succurro, to decide if it will be peaceful or not.”

“What do you expect us to do?” the fourth chair asked, outraged.

“I expect you all to leave, go home, and never return to your post. If you even try to do anything other than your civil duties under me there will be no hesitation to kill you.”

The entire board room got silent.

“And if we refuse to leave our posts?” the sixth chair asked.

“Then in exactly…” the man looked at his watch, “two minutes there will be a group of people there to attack without reason, told not to leave until all that oppose my rule are no longer able to oppose.”

The men were all stunned. They had stood there for a few moments just pondering their situation, but then they heard the sound of large vehicles pulling up to the building.

“Last chance, gentlemen.” The man reminded the board, “All those in favor of leaving peacefully, please raise your hand.”

Instantly all seven pairs of hands shot into the air.

The man smiled. “Good choice, gentlemen.”

The group of people rushed out of the office as the man turned his back to the camera, never to return to that office again.

The man turned to the crowd of people.

“People of Succurro, I am your new ruler! There is only one rule for my society, to follow what I say. This means that anyone, anyone, that tries to oppose my rule will be cut down. Any questions?”

All of the crowd couldn’t decide whether to clap or stay silent. Some stood and gave a standing ovation and quickly sat down out of fear.

The man chuckled, “Now all of you have to do is get the mark of my order.”

The members of the crowd looked at each other, confused.

“Will all members of my order please raise their left arms, forearm facing me. All sleeves please pulled back.”

The members of the crowd slowly pulled their sleeves off of their arm and raised their hands, wondering what was going to happen.

The man standing on the stage began to pull down his sleeve on his left arm as well. He revealed a mark, not exactly a scar, which was tinted blue.

“This is a mark that I got when I first found out all the secrets. It is a mark of knowledge, of understanding, something that I couldn’t understand at first. But I am getting ahead of myself…” the man said.

The man tensed his muscles in his arm and the mark started to glow a faint blue. Light was released from it and it rained down upon the crowd. Each person’s arm began to burn with pain as the mark on his arm started to be etched onto theirs as well. Soon the entire crowd had arms that had the same blue mark, the mark of a rough bird in flight.

“This mark will allow you to do amazing things if you can figure it out; I found that out from experience. Now, I am off to another town to take over. Remember my rule, that you follow what I say. A list of rules is posted outside the doors to this assembly hall, read them carefully, as I am watching.”

The man raised his arm into the air, and a giant glowing circle appeared in the air. It had a bunch of symbols in a ring, and nothing in the middle.

It began to spin as it descended upon the man, shrinking until it was only around the size of a man. It stopped when it was at his feet.

“And remember my name, Joel Karne!” the man said.

A giant flash of light sprang from the seal at his feet, breaking a hole in the high ceiling above his head. Soon he was gone; no evidence to say that he was there.

Kal was in the same dark room attached to the magnet that held him there against his will. He was helpless; no one there was a real person except Gregory Pravus, the one who put him there in the first place. No one there would help him. Unless…

Kal raised his head, finding that it took no effort. These mechanical parts in his body seemed to be very useful, and he would have loved to have them if it meant giving up his real body. He wondered for a moment what happened to the organic pieces of his old self, shaking away the random thoughts that popped into his head.

He looked over to the computer at the far side of the room. Still sitting there was the same Cyborg that was sitting there before, almost as if he had never moved. Kal wanted to know if he ever moved.

“Hey!” Kal whispered over to the Cyborg. The machine raised his head to look over at Kal. “Mind giving me a hand?”

“That action has no meaning. You have two hands of your own,” the Cyborg said. He them went back to his work.

Kal got infuriated at how literal these machines were. Why didn’t they understand the language used today?

“Cyborg.” Kal said, getting its attention back, “Get me down from here.”

“I am not authorized to take orders from member #301, code name Kal Iszarc,” the Cyborg said, and then it went back to its typing.

Kal got frustrated. How was he going to get off of this magnet? Something kept his head from being stuck in one place, but the rest of his limbs couldn’t even be nudged.

Just then something strange started to happen. Kal’s eyes started to glow blue.

The Cyborg at the computer noticed this and looked up at him. He cocked his head to one side, trying to understand what he was seeing. Something didn’t make sense in his machine brain.

The Cyborg got up and walked over to Kal, quickly because of his mechanical limbs, and stood right in front of him. He stared right into Kal’s eyes; Kal held the gaze. Kal then decided to try something new.

‘Release me from this magnet,’ Kal thought projected to the machine.

The Cyborg twitched, a sign that two processes were trying to work at the same time but lead to no where. Kal imagined that they were the processes to do what Kal commanded and to follow his encoded orders, but the sign that Kal tried to control the machine and it almost worked was extraordinary.

Kal decided to try harder.

‘Release me from this magnet now!’ Kal thought over to the Cyborg’s mind.

The machine twitched again, more violently this time, but he started to move over to the wall. Kal watched as he went over to a series of buttons on the wall. The Cyborg was about to press one when he twitched again. Smoke started to role out from the machine’s eyes and nose. He hesitated.

‘Press the button!!’ Kal thought.

The machine tried to do just that, but he couldn’t move; all of his gears seemed to be stuck. The contradicting commands were confusing the machine; it must not have been built to take the stress of these somewhat simple tasks.

‘Press it!!!’ Kal thought, angry.

Maybe it was that stroke of passion, maybe it was luck, maybe it was timing, but for some reason after that thought the machine moved his arm forward and hit the button.

Kal wasn’t prepared for the dramatic fall that was about to happen after the magnet stopped. Kal fell 4 feet to the hard concrete floor.

And he didn’t feel a thing.

Kal got up and dusted off his simple tank shirt and shorts. He looked over to the Cyborg.

It was stuck in the position of pressing the button, seeming to have died.

Kal looked about the room, half expecting some sort of red alarm to start sounding off like in the movies. Nothing happened. He shrugged and walked over to the door.

He turned the knob slowly and pulled it open, trying to make as little noise as possible.

‘If I want to blend in, I need to get some different clothes…’ Kal thought, ‘…I wish I still had mine.’

Suddenly a weird circle outline appeared in his vision. It looked like the sniper scope of an army weapon, but he was seeing through it.

‘What is this?’ Kal wondered, intrigued.

‘This program is called Scope. It is designed to find any object that you could consider important or valuable,’ a man’s voice sounded in his head. It sounded robotic.

‘Awesome. But how do I use it?’

‘Think about the object that you would like to find and Scope will find objects that come close to it and alert you in your Field of Vision,’ the man’s voice said again.

Kal began to think about his leather jacket, the one that his father left for him so long ago.

‘Locating: Leather Jacket.’

About half a second later a little red arrow appeared in his sight. It was pointing to the left.

‘To your left, third door on the right hand side, about 30 meters.’

‘I could get used to this.’ Kal said in his head, turning left.

He went to the third door on his right and opened it. It looked like a small lounge area. Kal slipped into the room and closed the door as quietly as he could.

Kal scanned the room quickly; his Scope feature pointed out the coat to him, like it was illuminated.

He picked it up off of a coat rack to see that it was all torn up.

“What the…?” Kal said to himself.

His father’s coat was torn to shreds. There was nothing that could be done to repair it, it was that bad. Kal got furious. His hands turned into fists, tightening around the tough fabric. It began to tear.

Kal looked down at his arms. The machines inside of the perfect skin were stronger than he had thought.

Kal looked for some regular clothes. He saw a wall full of cubicles; one of them had the number 301 above it. It looked to be his old clothes.

Kal dropped the coat on the floor and walked to the cubicle. He quickly changed out of his loose Cyborg attire and back into his dark jeans and black sleeveless shirt.

He walked back over to the coat on the floor, but he noticed a mirror on the wall before he got to it. He saw himself, but something was off.

He looked like Kal Iszarc, but he was too … perfect. His skin was flawless; his muscles looked like they were sculpted, and indeed they might have been; His face was too symmetrical. He looked better than a movie star might have, he thought.

Kal stared at himself for another moment, and then went back to getting the coat.

He was about to walk out of the door when he noticed another coat on the coat rack. It was a heavier material than his leather coat and it was longer, but it was definitely in better shape. Kal took it off the rack and slid into it. It seemed a perfect fit.

Then it hit him. The only thing that he was missing was his duel disk.

At the thought of ‘Duel Disk’ his arm started to twitch. Kal couldn’t see what was happening from beneath the arm of the coat, but it didn’t seem right. Then out the side of the coat arm came something that looked like a long blade… a duel disk platform.

Kal was confused. Confused didn’t cover it, he suddenly had a duel disk.

The coat was designed for there to be a slot in the arm for this to happen, it seemed, and it fell away un-ripped. That is when Kal saw what had happened to his arm.

It was silver, and slightly metallic. His arm seemed to be an entire screen, the number 8000 written on the top, near where the wrist would have been. On the outside of his arm was the duel disk platform, which was protruding from his arm. His graveyard slot seemed to be built in; the cards would be shoved into the inside of his arm.

His deck was where his wrist was, literally. His hand looked like it moved down, out of the way, for his cards to pop out of where his wrist was. His deck slot was his hand.

Surprisingly he still had full use of his hand, it was just in the wrong place. It was below his arm and deck, but he could still use it to hold his starting hand.

‘This is … odd…’ he thought.

‘This is your fully-portable duel disk. Built from the parts of your old one, your arm has been modified to hold your cards and dueling platform in a streamline way, allowing you better control of a suspect in certain situations and…’

‘Alright, enough!’ Kal thought, and the man’s voice stopped.

Kal thought about the disk folding away, and it started. The platform started to fold into itself and next to the Graveyard slot. The folded right into his arm and out of site. The top of his arm seemed to flip over piece by piece until the entire side was the same flesh color and not a screen. Lastly, his hand moved forward and up and snapped back into place as his deck receded back into his hand. All of this took about one and a half seconds.

‘I can get used to that too.’ Kal thought.

Kal walked out of the room, staying as quiet as he could. He located the exit door with Scope, and he went that direction.

He went a good 300 meters before he even saw anyone. He got so comfortable with the silence that he walked normally, instead of the crouch that he was doing. But when he got to the front doors he saw a guard station.

It was a station that was a round tube of plexiglass with just enough room for a person to sit in, and a round table top around the inside. The cop on duty was asleep, clearly getting paid for a job too easy.

Kal hesitated for a moment, wondering if it were a trick. He decided that if it were a Cyborg it wouldn’t be playing dead, so he walked by. He found the doors to be unlocked as well.

Kal walked out into the cool air of what seemed to be November or December and looked up at the moon.

“That was too easy.” Kal said out loud.

“You’re correct, it was,” a voice sounded from far above him.

Kal quickly turned around and looked up at the towering building. At the top, nearly six stories up, was a man.

He was a very svelte man, standing about six foot tall. His hair was tinted blue, possibly from brown, and his eyes were of a striking green. He wore a coat similar to the one that Kal had taken from the lounge, only it had a series of pins on the lapel, signifying military rank. He had a lot of them.

“Who are you?” Kal asked.

The man at the top of the building smirked and jumped. He fell six stories to the ground, landing on his feet. His energy dispersed into the ground below him, causing it to crack and form a small indent.

He stood up across the way from Kal, in front of the doors that Kal exited.

“I am Colonel Tyler Satrix, and I am here to take you back in.”

“And if I refuse?” Kal asked.

Tyler looked stunned, as if he weren’t expecting this answer.

“You will follow my orders,” Tyler said.

“No, I will not, thanks,” Kal said.

“I outrank you, Lieutenant! You will follow me back into the headquarters!”

“No.”

Tyler started to think. It was odd, he didn’t act like a normal Cyborg. He seemed to be acting … irrationally. Like a human would…

“Tyler, do you still act like you did before your conversion?” Kal asked.

Tyler was appalled. Out of all the things he had anticipated, that was obviously not it.

“I am only asking because that is the way I am as well.” Kal said.

Tyler looked at Kal, trying to understand.

“Number Three-Zero-One, where were you headed?”

“My name is Kal, and I was headed home.”

“You are home.” Tyler said.

“No, my home is in Succurro. I have no clue where I am now, but it isn’t the Palmarium.” Kal said.

This further confused Tyler.

“I live at the Palmarium,” Kal said, “I won it in Pegasus’s tournament that he held there.”

Tyler thought for a minute.

“Ah, you mean the tournament from three months ago. I’m sorry to tell you, but you don’t live there, you live here.”

Now it was Kal’s turn to freak out. His eyes grew wide, he stumbled over his words, he took staggered breaths.

“W-wait, w-what??” Kal stammered.

Tyler looked at him, confused again.

“What do you mean, ‘three months ago’?” Kal clarified.

Tyler nodded.

“Its been three months since I abducted you with my associate on the top floor of the Palmarium. It has taken three months to turn you into what you are: the most technologically advanced of all of us all. You have the newest upgrade to your duel disk, the rest of us, including myself, have a much lower quality devise. You have special technology that allows you to…”

“…To see maps and locations and find anything that I am looking for. I know.” Kal finished.

Tyler looked impressed.

“It seems that you have found out about what abilities you have, but not all of them.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean to say that you have figured out some of the technology, but you haven’t even touched the tip of the iceberg yet.”

“W-what else can I do…?” Kal asked, fearing the worst.

“I don’t believe that I am at liberty to say.”

Kal looked at him, trying to figure out just what he meant. There was a brief moment of silence, but Kal was the first to break it.

“You’re not going to let me out of here are you?”

“No, I am not.”

“Why?”

Tyler paused. He hadn’t been asked this question in a long time, ‘why’.

“B-because I am following orders.” His head twitched.

“But why are you following the orders?” Kal asked, wondering where this was going.

Tyler’s head twitched again. Something about Kal was messing with the Cyborg mind.

‘I-I h-have t-too…” Tyler said, the twitching moving to his fingers.

“No you don’t. You don’t have to do anything against your will. Humans cannot be controlled!”

“I a-am not h-human…” Tyler said.

“What makes us human?” Kal asked, “Our free will, our intellect? Our emotions…?”

Tyler’s head twitched again, his hands started to twist.

“E-enough!!” he said. He shook his head, stopping the twitching. It seemed like a ‘manual override’ of sorts.

“Will you let me go?” Kal asked.

“No.” Tyler said, “You will come back inside the facility.”

“And I refuse. This means that we are at an impasse between an authority figure and a law breaker. You know what that means…”

“Yes, I do. This sparks a duel where if the culprit, such as yourself, wins they earn their freedom for the night.”

“That is correct.” Kal said.

“You want to leave this much?” Tyler asked, “Why?”

“I will not be bound by their rules. I was fired because I didn’t do a good enough job, then I was hunted by them because I was too good. Now they want me back, and why should I?”

“Because they need you on the force.”

“Are you saying that logically, or emotionally?” Kal goaded.

Tyler’s head twitched slightly, making him angry.

“Enough of this, we will settle this on the battle field.”

Kal shrugged, “Suit yourself.”

They both undid their custom sleeves that allowed their arms to transform into their disks. Kal’s arm opened up and allowed the graveyard slot to appear, followed by the unfolding field. His hand lowered at the wrist, allowing the deck to slide forward. His arm started to flip over piece by piece, like scales, to reveal a beautiful screen with the number 8000 on it.

Tyler’s disk was similar, but he was right when he said that it was lower in quality. His arm opened as well to allow the graveyard and field to unfold, but his wrist popped up to allow him access to his cards instead of his hand moving down. His skin opened in a circular motion right behind the deck slot and a small piece of metal with a small number screen appeared with the number 8000 on it.

Kal: 8000

Tyler: 8000

Duel!” They said, and they drew five cards.

“The challenged gets first turn.” Tyler said nobly.

Kal drew his first card; Hand: 6. He took a moment to search for a strategy, but he found that he had different cards in his deck.

Tyler smiled. “You don’t understand what happened to your deck? We upgraded it as we saw fit. Pegasus has been creating Ally Monster support just for you, and we have been picking it up from your house on a regular basis and modifying your deck.”

Kal looked up, only moving his eyes, at Tyler, “You modified my deck?” he asked angrily.

“Only for the benefit of these new cards. You should check them out; they really boosted the power of your deck.”

For once, Tyler was sounding sincerely human.

Kal looked at his cards again. He didn’t know what cards were in his deck, and he didn’t know what any of these new cards did. That put him at a disadvantage. The only thing that he had that Tyler didn’t was his ability to use Scope…

Kal got an idea.

Kal scanned the cards in his hand using Scope; he instantly knew what each of the cards did. He looked at one Spell Card, Allied Slipstream, which might just allow him to learn what his deck consisted of. But he would have to do something else first.

“I summon my Legion’s Bandit!”

A man-like creature that had his face covered with a bandana appeared. He had a torn cape, and he had light grey hair. ATK: 1300 / LV: 4.

“Now I activate Allied Slipstream!” Kal said as he slid the card into the Spell and Trap Card slot on his duel disk.

The card flipped up in holographic imagery, revealing it.

“By paying 1000 Life Points and discarding a card, I can search my deck for a monster to remove from play.” Kal said.

Kal: 7000; Hand: 4

Tyler: 8000; 5

“Very good, a useful way to legally see what your deck is made of.” Tyler commented.

Kal took the stack of cards out of his wrist and searched through them. He quickly scanned all of the cards into his memory, learning what did what. He decided to do something the old deck would have done in this situation.

“I remove my Legion’s Synchron Booster.” Kal said, placing it in the breast pocket of his jacket, “And now I activate the second effect of Slipstream! Since my Synchron Booster was a level 3, I can place 3 Ally Counters on cards on the field. Since the only card is my Bandit, he gets the counters.”

The bandit raised his hand and three black orbs appeared. Two of them mixed together and formed a dagger, the other stayed floating next to his shoulder. Ally Counters: 3.

“Now I can remove 2 of these Ally Counters to discard 1 card from your hand!”

The bandit flung the dagger at Tyler and his hand; it hit one. Tyler sent that card to the Graveyard.

Kal: 7000; 4

Tyler: 8000; 4

“Now I end my turn, but before you start, the last effect of Slipstream activates. During my End Phase all of my cards are destroyed, and my Synchron Booster is summoned.”

The Bandit was circled with light, and then it exploded. Fragments of holograms went everywhere. But then they were reformed into a small, grey figure that barely held the shape of a human. ATK: 300 / LV: 3.

Tyler was about to draw his card, but Kal stopped him again.

“Still my End Phase. When an Ally Monster is Special Summoned from the Removed From Play Zone, I can Special Summon my Legion’s Dimensionoid Master from my hand.”

Kal placed another card on the field, right on top of the Synchron Booster.

An older man with a cane wearing a black suit and an eye patch appeared in front of the Synchron Booster. ATK: 2000 / LV: 5.

“Drat, that means that your Synchron is protected by your new creature.”

“Tis the perk of having a Stack.” Kal said.

Tyler drew his card.

Kal: 7000; 3

Tyler: 8000; 5.

“I Summon my Negativity Dragon – Light.” He said.

His card flipped and revealed a small, blue serpent dragon. ATK: -400 / LV: 4.

“Wait, what is that monster’s attack?” Kal asked.

“It is negative four hundred.” He said.

“Negative? Is that even possible?”

“If you can have monsters that stack in the same card zone, then I can have monsters that have a negative attack, wouldn’t you agree?”

Kal thought for a moment, and then said, “Good point.”

“Now my Monster can attack you directly.” Tyler said.

The Dragon made its way to the other side of the board, slithering past the two monsters in its way.

Kal: 7400; 3

Tyler: 8000; 4

“Wait, when you attacked, my Life Points increase?” Kal asked.

Tyler sighed, “You didn’t pay attention in math class did you? When you subtract a negative value you end up adding.”

“Ah, so 7000 - -400 = 7400.” Kal said, “Then what is the point?”

“The point is for the next Special Ability: when your Life Points increase I get to destroy a monster of yours.”

The dragon moved its way back, but hesitated at the Dimensionoid Master. The Dragon opened its mouth and released a beam of focused light at him. He broke into a million shards and the Dragon moved all the way back to the other side of the board.

“I will set 1 card face down and end my turn.” Tyler said.

Kal drew his card in silence.

Kal: 7400; 4

Tyler: 8000; 3

There were too many cards that were new in his deck. He couldn’t formulate a strategy out of any of these cards in his hand or, from what he could tell, deck. He had to find the heart of the power of these new Ally Monsters Pegasus had created in the last three months.

Kal noticed a card in his hand that certainly didn’t belong there. It was Emergency Teleport. This card allowed him to Summon a Psychic Monster from his deck, but it would be removed from play at the end of the turn. There was only one problem: In his old deck he only had one Psychic Monster, and it was the Synchron Booster. That is the only monster on his field, so this card in his hand is virtually worthless. Or at least that is what he thought at first.

After he thought ‘Psychic’ his Scope started working to find anything that had to do with that term in his memory. He came across several things that were unrelated to the situation, but the last thing that popped up was a card, a new Ally Monster.

‘Legion’s Synchron Sage is an effect Tuner Monster that is treated as an Ally Monster while face up on the field. It has the ability to negate a Spell or Trap Cards activation at the cost of 900 Life Points and add that card to the owner’s hand.’ Scope told him in his mind.

Kal started formulating an idea.

“I activate the Spell Card Emergency Teleport!” Kal said as he pushed the card into the slot.

The card flipped and flashed for a moment, and in its place appeared a small magician standing in front of the grey figure. ATK: 700 / LV: 3.

“Great, now you have one Synchron protecting the first. How quaint.” Tyler said.

Kal glared at him, “You apparently don’t know the power of the Allies. They grow their strength in numbers, and they will always overcome a threat.”

“You say that as if you practice it in the mirror every morning.” Tyler said.

Kal glared at him again and went back to his move.

“I now will change my Synchron Booster into a Tuner by discarding a card.” Kal said.

“Why would you do that? You already have a level 3 monster that is a Tuner… Why would you bother with discarding a card?”

“Because the card that I discarded is part of my strategy, my friend.” Kal replied, “I have no use for hand advantage.”

“Better not, you only have two cards left in that hand of yours.” Tyler pointed out.

Kal moved on, “I activate the special ability of my Legion’s Defense Power – Earthen Brute! When he is discarded for the cost or effect of an Ally Monster, he is instantly Special Summoned to my side of the field!”

At that, there was a flash of light and a giant, round piece of rock appeared. DEF: 2100 / LV: 4.

Tyler took a step back, “Now I understand. You couldn’t have mixed two Tuners together to Synchro Summon, so you used the downside of one to allow you another. Brilliant…”

Kal grinned, “Why thank you, but now to the rest of my turn. You see, my Synchron can change his level to equal the amount of Vectors in his Stack. I didn’t summon my Synchron Sage to protect my Booster, I summoned it to access its ability and allow it to summon a level 6 Synchro Monster!”

Tyler stiffened, “No, you can’t!”

“Yes I can, and I will! Legion’s Synchron Booster, activate your Tuning abilities and transform Earthen Brute into Vorge – Protector of Allies!”

Kal’s voice seemed to echo as the monster appeared. The grey figure leapt into the air and disappeared, leaving behind two green rings. They were attracted like magnets to the Earthen Brute; he dissolved into four glowing orbs. All six articles merged together and spewed a glowing light that cut through the darkness of the night.

A man in glowing white robes appeared in front of Kal and the Synchron Sage; he seemed ready for a fight.

“You won’t stop me from leaving, Tyler.” Kal said, “I have worked to hard to allow that to happen.”

To Be Continued…

Archived