:: Roleplay Section Improvements Discussion ::

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm.........after a while, I think the Role-Playing section should have it's own "Chronicle of RP" or something. A little section dedicated on how the RP section was made, the change of rules, events, annoucements, and of course, to the Role-Play Section itself. Now I don't know about the other people, but this thread wouldn't be considered an record of events, and stuff, because it's just an dicussion thread.

Another reason I want to see this up is because........well I really don't have an good agruement to put up, but what I was thinking that we also put up some kind of "Role-Player" of the month, or something. With that being said, I think some people would say that it goes into the part of dividing the experienced RPers, and the new guys, but I'd said no, because all it's doing is just acknowledging the fact of that certain indivisual, and not an group, or we can also put in "New Role-Player of the Month", and "Role-Player of the Month."

Basicly; put in some of kind of thread that "Highlights" that major points of the RP section, and possibly some kind of "Role-Player of the Month."

Okay' date=' I saw Pikachu's thread, and then Dark's rant on it, and one word reminded me of this - revolutions..

We're still using the advanced clause, right? At first, there was a revolt, and when the poll appeared, several people, including myself, stated that the Advanced Clause killed the fun.

But this gave me an idea. We can kill the post count right? How about the 'Advanced' RP section, which would be this section, and then the 'Basic' RP section, in which the post count would be killed. I made a heap of my friends roleplaying because we should socialize while our characters were doing something random and couldn't do anything until someone responded.

Someone suggested having a Advanced, Normal and Starter's RP section or something, but I figured that would be a bit much.

So, we could have just 'Advanced Roleplaying' and 'Basic Roleplaying', with the Basic having a mix of the old RP rules and some of the other rules to stop spam.

If this has already been suggested, I won't read the whole thread just for one thing -.-

Has already been suggested. Most admitted it's a good idea, but it's essentially disregarded considering getting the Admins to touch anything on the forums is nigh-impossible, especially for something relatively trivial.

Hell, the fact we're still piggybacked onto the Fanfiction section despite having almost nothing to do with them is telling about how much attention we receive from people able to manipulate forum sections.

Hmmm.........after a while' date=' I think the Role-Playing section should have it's own "Chronicle of RP" or something. A little section dedicated on how the RP section was made, the change of rules, events, annoucements, and of course, to the Role-Play Section itself. Now I don't know about the other people, but this thread wouldn't be considered an record of events, and stuff, because it's just an dicussion thread.

Another reason I want to see this up is because........well I really don't have an good agruement to put up, but what I was thinking that we also put up some kind of "Role-Player" of the month, or something. With that being said, I think some people would say that it goes into the part of dividing the experienced RPers, and the new guys, but I'd said no, because all it's doing is just acknowledging the fact of that certain indivisual, and not an group, or we can also put in "New Role-Player of the Month", and "Role-Player of the Month."

Basicly; put in some of kind of thread that "Highlights" that major points of the RP section, and possibly some kind of "Role-Player of the Month."

[/quote']

Hmm... could be interesting, if a bit superfluous. Only problem is that whoever writ it would be somewhat biased (depending on whether they supported Advance Clause mandatordation or not...), and I doubt Shadius or Rinne would bother putting in more effort than Sticky-ing the thread.

Try PMing either or both, see what they have to say at on the mater.

As for the 'Role-Player of the Month' thing... Well, we DID have a 'Featured RP' thing going on for a little bit. Unfortunately, due to Rinne and Shadius' schedual, that one was dead in the water fairly quickly. I'm afraid a similar thing might happen if we tried to do something like you said.

Well thank your Fiendish Dr. Hydra (For some reason, that name stucked) for supporting me on the "Chronicle of Role-Playing" idea. Now I really don't have any clue what Rinni, and Shadius position in YCM are, except that they're MODs, but I don't know for what section though. But I would ask them, but some reason, I've a feeling I'll get a cold shoulder or something. Why do I say that? Well from what I seen from the anoucements that both of them made (and I mean the quite recents ones), they seem rather.....er...angry. So I seriously would not want to to talk to them about it, but I will do so anyway.

Well Doc, and anybody else that supports Hydra's side of the arguement of someone being biased, what if I write it? I mean, I may be new and all, but I'm pretty much an neutual when it comes to the Advance Clause, and I may be being selfish here, but I think I would make the perfect candiate for writting it out. Since again, I considered myself a neutual here, and I also think I'm somewhat caught up with the fourms here too. But again, this is me being selfish here.

Okay' date=' I saw Pikachu's thread, and then Dark's rant on it, and one word reminded me of this - revolutions..

We're still using the advanced clause, right? At first, there was a revolt, and when the poll appeared, several people, including myself, stated that the Advanced Clause killed the fun.

But this gave me an idea. We can kill the post count right? How about the 'Advanced' RP section, which would be this section, and then the 'Basic' RP section, in which the post count would be killed. I made a heap of my friends roleplaying because we should socialize while our characters were doing something random and couldn't do anything until someone responded.

Someone suggested having a Advanced, Normal and Starter's RP section or something, but I figured that would be a bit much.

So, we could have just 'Advanced Roleplaying' and 'Basic Roleplaying', with the Basic having a mix of the old RP rules and some of the other rules to stop spam.

If this has already been suggested, I won't read the whole thread just for one thing -.-

I'm actually pushing for a similar idea in the Mod Forum with Pizza's return that involves making a postless OOC and planning forum, so you guys can discuss and plot to your heart's content without worrying about post count. If this happens, then more focus can be made on quality RP posts when that time comes around. (That is, if the idea ever gets approved. >_>)

Whoa...whoa...Let me get his straight (I have no clue on what you guys are saying here), Rinne, so your going make our OoC posts, not count towards our Post-Count correct? Well I can definately see why your suggesting an idea, but in an way, I'm against it. Why? Well I really can't put up an decent arguement this time around, but isn't the Post-Count supposed to monitar how active we are with the threads? And the higher the count, the more active you are. Now new guys like me would somewhat need the count (that way we won't be called noobs), but as for the more experience folks, well I can see why your suggesting it.

But I can also see the down-side too; Noobs like me, won't have there posts counted if there're doing random things, and spaming correct? Again, part of me is for it, so new people won't cheat the system or whatever, but I'm against it, since new guys like me would be bit more respected.

Whoa...whoa...Let me get his straight (I have no clue on what you guys are saying here)' date=' Rinne, so your going make our OoC posts, not count towards our Post-Count correct? Well I can definately see why your suggesting an idea, but in an way, I'm against it. Why? Well I really can't put up an decent arguement this time around, but isn't the Post-Count supposed to monitar how active we are with the threads? And the higher the count, the more active you are. Now new guys like me would somewhat need the count (that way we won't be called noobs), but as for the more experience folks, well I can see why your suggesting it.

But I can also see the down-side too; Noobs like me, won't have there posts counted if there're doing random things, and spaming correct? Again, part of me is for it, so new people won't cheat the system or whatever, but I'm against it, since new guys like me would be bit more respected.

[/quote']

Not really. I'm actually impartial about removing post counts, but the main problem with the original RP section (that is, before I started modding) was that people's post counts were rapidly inflated by posting nonconstructive OOC comments in RP threads. Therefore, a separate post-count-less forum for OOC posts would not only solve this problem, but would encourage planning in a positive manner.

And honestly, post count isn't a good judge of how good a person you are on YCM. (Just look at ragnarok1945 for one. :/)

inflated.......nonconstructive......*sigh* seriously man, use simple words when you're around me!! It took me a while to get what you said!!

Aside for my low I.Q.:

Say Rinne, did you see my post earlier in this thread? Because I seriously would want to see an Chronicle of the Role-Playing section here, so Fiendish Dr. Hydra recommended me to ask you, and Shadius about it, and so right now, I wanna get your opinion on it.

@Rinne - Also, it would get the newer ones a chance to roleplay, and get better. Anyways, if this goes through, I'll be happy. It's gotten a bit.. Dull. And some of the old Script FOrmat users are making %90 dialouge posts just to meet the requirements, making it kinda hard to understand.

[And the fact that we need to do something random for the remainder of a post where your character replies 'Yes' or 'No' >.

Also, Frybread, most people, most of the legends on this site, don't give a damn about Post Count.

There's those Card Makers who make sets to celebrate their 5000 posts or whatever, and a heap of people, like roleplayers, who used to RP for fun. I didn't care when I first came on this site, but after a while, I left RP, and I had nothing else to care about.

I'm sure you don't want to hear my whole life story, so to sum it all up the legends I know don't care about post count.

Also' date=' Frybread, most people, most of the legends on this site, don't give a damn about Post Count.

There's those Card Makers who make sets to celebrate their 5000 posts or whatever, and a heap of people, like roleplayers, who used to RP [i']for fun[/i]. I didn't care when I first came on this site, but after a while, I left RP, and I had nothing else to care about.

I'm sure you don't want to hear my whole life story, so to sum it all up the legends I know don't care about post count.

Hahahaha!!!! Man. The only thing I don't like about experienced folks is that they're a bit arrogent.

Aside form such trival matters:

Well I can definately agree with you Kainine, more expereinced people really won't have any need for the post-count, but as a rookie, I think I speak for every new guy here that the post-count does matter for them.

P.S. Does anyone hear support my idea for a Chronicle of Role-Playing section!?!?! I mean c'mon, I suggested it at the top of the page, and I all I got is just one response.

You missed my point. And I'm not Arrogant.

When I first came here, all I cared about was having fun. I reckoned those who went crazy over post count were just stupid.

So, are you a role-player, or those who obsess over Post Count?

And, for the Chronicle, I don't think it'll work out well.

......*sigh* at least more than 1 person (hopefully) read my idea on the Chronicle idea (could you explain why). Well I admitt, you did sound arrogant when you said "Legend."

But as for me, well I'm an all-around guy (which would some what explain my signature, and my rank [the one next to my name]). But the reason I'm somewhat worrying about the post count is because new guys like me won't be looked down upon by our senior residents of YCM. Now I'm one of those folks who don't really care about that sort of thing, but hey, I'm human, and of course I want to be looked up too. Much like anyone else here.

Sorry if I'm interrupting unnecessarily here, but I can't stand the idea of someone entertaining the notions that post count is indicative on individual talent and expertise. Who cares about the number of posts you've made? What truly matters is the quality of those posts as opposed to their quantity—personally, I feel that the number of stars you have is nothing to be concerned about.

Also, on another hand... I am concerned for the RP section in general. It just seems to me that more and more excellent RPs are being ruined or forced to lower their standards, mainly due to the fact that Advanced RPing doesn't really appeal to the majority of members. I understand that not everyone can be expected to possess sophisticated syntax, but the fact remains that the majority of members in the RP section are decidedly subpar. I support the idea of forming "Basic" and "Advanced" RP Forums to help filter these members properly.

What would really be nice would be an RP that was formed, managed, and composed of exclusively high-quality RPers. Otaku attempted something of the sort with his High School Supernatural Powers RP, or whatever it was called, but that died fairly quickly...

*sniff sniff* RIP High School and Superpowers...

The whole RP was ruined because of one guy deciding to be a noob. Also because I really didn't have much of a plot laid out. But I digress.

As for the Chronicle of RP, I don't think new RPers don't need and don't care about the history of the RP section. They just want to have fun.

I'm all for separating the chaff from the wheat. The RP section isn't doing so well in terms of quality because the Internetz is all about fighting against authority. Since the AC was made law, people now decidedly disobey AC just to "stick it to the man". A divided RP section will allow the rebels rot away in their own bad RP styles while good RPers can create masterpieces. It's like Heaven and Hell. Keep the good away from the bad, lest they rot all together. But I digress.

lf a 'Basic' and 'Advanced' section is made, l will happily begin to RP again. lt's not about me purposely revolting against the laws; in fact l have no problem with the Advanced Clause or it's heavy supporters. l just want to be happy too, just like them. l can't post huge things like everyone else. LITERALLY. l'll be getting warned left and right.

So until our very fair proposition is futfilled, turmoil will continue to run the RP section, and l want to be no part of it.

Okay, so I read the pages that cropped up in my absebce, and have several things to say.

1: I do not copy/paste things that I write/type. I type, and then where possible, I estimate as to whether or not what I typed up meets the four line requirement. Fortunately, this is almost never a problem for me, though.

2: I support the idea of making a postless rp planning forum. To be honest, I feel that it is something that is sorely needed, and would help to improve the RP section as a whole.

3: I believe that making an advanced rp and basic rp sections divide would go quite a ways towards helping to improve the rp forum as a whole. Like the guy that suggested this said (forgot the name) it would be like separating the wheat from the tares. It would allow those of us who wish to have higher quality rp's to do that while those who either don't want to, or don't care to learn how to can do what they do without harming everyone else. Of course, some of the advanced clause rules would likely have to be put in place to keep rp's from being constantly locked, but other then that I believe that the idea has considerable merit and deserves some serious consideration.

4: post counts and star levels are not directly indicitave of a persons newbishness. It is rather the character of that person and how he or she presents him or herself. Take me for example. i don't go to the GFX section. Why? Because i cannot GFX, and do not have the time to learn how to do so properly. Otherwise, I would have a very epic sprite in my sig right about now.

5: I am not one of those robots who either care about post counts or the quality of a post. I am more like the alien that cares about both. Why? Simple, because a lot of things that you can get on this forum or have made for you by someone else usually requires that you have points, and for the most part, we get our points from our post counts. However, I also can't stand to see bad posts that are either modded or having bad grammar. Or worse, both. That's a large part of the reason why I started using proper grammar and punctuation. I couldn't stand seeing my posts look so bad outside of an RP.

Anyway, I also think that the idea of an RP Chronicles RP thread has some merit and that it is an interesting idea. My only concern is not really knowing just how it would be implemeneted, or how it would proceed afterwards.

1...2...I counted 5. Anywho! I swear to GOD!!! All of my other concerns, and stuff have all been reconnized, but no one, if not RARELY ANYONE has ever touched that subject!! C'mon!

Aside from my childish tantrums:

Well I seriously don't know why all 3 people who supported my idea for Chronicle of Role-playing thread are worrying. Because all it's (at least that's my idea) doing is just "High-lighting" the major points of the Role-Play thread. Now I seriously don't know why it's being called bias if someone supports the Advance Clause option, or if someone doesn't have the time to watch it. You guys are over-reacting to it, and here I thought this thread was all fun, and games when it comes down to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other things that I thought of:

Well I may be new here, but we should stick to the Advance Clause. Because of my lack of experience at Role-Playing, I really don't have a clear view of things, especially the MODS here. Now I'm just one of the users of this site who help MODS grow white hair, and I don't know how's it's like for the more experience folks here at Role-Playing to enjoy it. But I'm just saying what I feel, and I'm not trying to ruin the fun for everyone else here, but I think most of you guys are just over-reacting, and just need to relax for a bit. To remind you guys of what happened last time, I remeber reading something an user (whom I think is a MOD) saying that theres another RPing site, but there rules are far more stricter than ours. But I myself never read the rules for the site, but guessing by everyone's elses comments, they seem shocked that our RPing rules were more..."Humane."

Well this here is going back at what I said for an "Role-Player of the Month" idea. Well from I noticed, every major changed required the "Users" cooperation, and the MODS didn't do much work. Now I'm not saying there lazy, I'm just saying that the rules forced the cooperation of the Users. So with that being said, if the my request does come true, the way that the 'Rper of the Month" is awarded, is voted by the users of YCM, and not the MOD. So again, if this idea does bear fruit, an MOD well obvisouly need to supervise and stuff, but seeing how the MODS here are too busy, I'm willing to volunter my hours.

P.S. Waahhhhh!!! I was going to use my 100th post, and post a card, but I've missed my oppurtinity!!! *Shoots self in the head*

Still don't really think that would work. A user-voted RPer of the Month would just end up a popularity contest, like all user-voted awards eventually end up as. Plus, what exactly would be the reward? There has to be some sort of incentive to win, but there's really not much you can offer for a monthly winner to someone who's already a good Roleplayer.

Still don't really think that would work. A user-voted RPer of the Month would just end up a popularity contest' date=' like all user-voted awards eventually end up as. Plus, what exactly would be the reward? There has to be some sort of incentive to win, but there's really not much you can offer for a monthly winner to someone who's already a good Roleplayer.

[/quote']

Well thank you Fiendish Dr. Hydra, but of course, isn't any Polls, and Contests somewhat a popularity conestest? But as for the awards, well I'm pretty sure that no one wants to give up there Points, but might as well give them REPS, right? Besides, I wasn't really thinking of giving that person any awards, but now that you say it, it has my thinking. But what you thinking of, is entirely different from what I'm thinking of, because I don't see it as an contest, but more of an award, chosed by the "People." Again, not an contest, but in a way, your both right, and wrong Doc. Why do I say that? Well in an nut-shell, this is just an award that's choosen by the people of YCM, and if he is already good, then shouldn't he/she be acknowledge or something?

P.S. Great, at this rate, I'll never make my card for the 100th post!! From now on, untill I"ll make my card, I'll no longer be active anymore (active in thread of course)

Anyone that is lured by offers of YCM points or reps needs to get their head examined.

Anyways, what happened to the proposals of separating the RP Forum into Basic and Advanced sections? That sounds pretty brilliant - it would certainly help filter members into RPs more suitable to their individual skill level.

That's semi how it was before with the tag systems, until SOMEONE decided to take all our toys away from us, forcing us to rp advanced or "GTFO", to put it nicely.

And we've been TRYING to reestablish a basic system again for months, to no avail... ugh, just forget it, l guess sonce everyone wants it back now, there's no need to complain...

That's semi how it was before with the tag systems' date=' until SOMEONE decided to take all our toys away from us, forcing us to rp advanced or "GTFO", to put it nicely.

And we've been TRYING to reestablish a basic system again for months, to no avail... ugh, just forget it, l guess sonce everyone wants it back now, there's no need to complain...

[/quote']

...Do I detect a slight hint of QQ? I don't need you to start railing against the infinite evils of the Advanced Clause and how the section would be better without even trying to improve it. You're in the definite minority, and yet you haven't even tried to act civil about it. The Advanced Clause has been generally well-received by the majority of the roleplaying community so there is definitely no plans for it to be removed anytime soon. I'm losing my patience with you. Play nice, or, how did you put it? Ah, yes. GTFO. :3

l guess since everyone wants it back now' date=' there's no need to complain...

[/quote']

lt seems you've read everything but this, making your little rant invalid.

And l have a right to complain anyway. Not to mention, l was actually in the majority, last l checked.

If you're going to provoke, I might as well make you prove your point. Go find people and list them. I want names. If you're going to just pull random statistics out of your ass without evidence, then I don't think you have any rights to attack me.

Archived