:: Roleplay Section Improvements Discussion ::

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

So, I honestly don't care about the "line requirement" rule (granted I can't know for sure if I have met it, as I am on a phone most of the time as of late), but I do have one thing that has irked me, and prevented me from creating any RPs.

My main problem is "requiring" certain fields for applications. Yeah, Name and Age are obvious, Appearance is definitely important, but I've had this problem for several years (I can link you to other roleplays elsewhere if you don't believe me when I say I've been at this for a few years): The History and Personality fields. Now I know on this site I have NO reputation and you've never seen me at work (except my atrocious application the that Pokémon RP, which is a bad gauge of my work), but I've never been a fan of those fields on any site. Please, don't just shoot this down as another noob complaining.

Here's the major problem I have with them: it makes things less... realistic, for lack of a better word. What I'm saying goes based off of some assumptions:

1: You, like me, have noticed that people don't typically hand out their life story when you first meet them.

2: You, like me, view roleplay characters as fictional people.

The point I'm making here is that if roleplay characters are , in essence, fake people, and people don't give away the details of their life when they first meet someone, why should roleplay characters have to give out said details?

I don't know about you, but I would prefer not to know from the beginning about a character's past. I feel this is something that should be given as the story progresses. It would make things more interesting for everyone involved.

If this is done because people want to check a roleplayer's skill, why not ask for them to give a sample post for their character instead?

If you took the time to read all of that, thank you, and I hope, even if you don't agree, that you understand where I'm coming from.

History has never been a mandatory field for all roleplays. Check the rules again. The only ones that have been are name, age, gender, personality, and appearance. If a character is required to have their history included in the application, it is at the discretion of the GM, who has the final say within their roleplay anyways.

I just read them yesterday 0_o I'll have to check again. It said something along the lines of "must have History (1-2 paragraph min) and Personality (1 paragraph)"

Edit: Alright... Must've been hallucinating. My objection was pointless... I could've spent that time making a whole new character...

Archived