:: Roleplay Section Improvements Discussion ::

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have a thought here. I am going to be making a thread for making and improving rp characters, fleshing them out as needed, yada yada. This is a thing that is going to happen, because it is, as a matter of fact, already happening. The thing is, it's hard to be able to rp and enjoy said rping enough to continue going through any particular rp at any great length, and as such they usually die. Therefore, I request that we take steps to increase the amount of successful rp's by cutting down on the amount that has to be typed out. Maybe we could lower the bare minimum to three lines instead of having it be four? I would personally like for it to be two lines, but I know that that is not going to be happening any time soon if ever, due to people saying it wouldn't be enough to build a post off of.

I would however, point out that there are times when someone does more then the bare minimum for posting in rp's and responses still come up short unless you find a way to throw in some filler or extra descriptions that really aren't all that necessary. I myself have come across this problem many times before, and I know that I am not the only one who has had trouble with it before now.

But yeah, tl;dr, I am creating a place for people to develop characters, and I would like for there to not have to be as much typing so as to make this easier for everyone who chooses to get involved.

I want the minimum line count for rping in the rp section lowered to three. It's hard to enjoy rping or develop[ a character properly when you are having to throw in a bunch of filler, and it has been a main source of many rp deaths.

>Develop characters

>Less Writing

What.

I want the minimum line count for rping in the rp section lowered to three. It's hard to enjoy rping or develop[ a character properly when you are having to throw in a bunch of filler, and it has been a main source of many rp deaths.

Proof or it didn't happen.

And then an electric fish either has forgotten about or is ignoring the much fewer successful rp's nowadays compared to days long past.

Either that or you have not been here long enough Hydra. I remember the days before the advanced clause though. Some were spamming idiots, but others actually wanted to try and contribute something to the rp that they were in and enjoyed.

. Some were spamming idiots, but others actually wanted to try and contribute something to the rp that they were in and enjoyed.

Which they can still do, now without the spamming idiots.

Show me a post that would somehow have more literary merit if you cut a fourth of it off and I'll concede you have some sort of a point. In fact, show me legitimate poof of any sort- because I remember the old RP forums perfectly well, and I think you're confusing 'Spam Holes' for 'Successful Roleplays'.

Not necessarily, no. However, there is something to be said for not having to write more then necessary for a post. That said, having to write more then needed for a post can easily detract from the enjoyment that you are supposed to be able to get from rping.

If spending five extra seconds on a post kills the enjoyment they get from RPing, they likely weren't enjoying it in the first place.

Actually, I am not the only person wanting to see the rule adjusted a bit. I just happen to be the only one willing to speak up about it at the moment.

Then it's a good thing there are multiple people who don't want to see it adjusted, and are willing to speak up about it. But no seriously, back up your assertions with actual, physical proof sometime.

I'm still waiting on an example of a four line post so heinously bogged down with superfluous detail that it just has to be cut down to three. There's only a handful of noted literary authors I can think of off hand that can do more with three sentences than four, and I highly doubt anyone here is George Orwell.

• 1 month later...

I was think of making a roleplaying contest again. I made one last time, but it failed due to poor planning and management. I was thinking of getting together three people (instead of just me D=) to plan and judge it. Also, I have no idea of what the prizes could be.

Anyone up for it?

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe, just maybe, we could have a Hall of Finished RPs, for Role Plays that have actually finished, since...you know, numerous never finish, so getting one in there would be an accomplishment. Its an idea, but I'm guessingits been heard before.

Just an idea, like I said, but meh...just curious, anything in here ever been used?

• 6 months later...

Wow i can't wait to take the time and actually read this whole thing lol (that isn't sarcasm btw) I am pretty new to this whole RP thing I am going to go on a limb here and bet I pretty much broke a couple of established "rules" I guess but I just would like to chime in on two issues

First: Line requirement. Yeah it's not that four lines is a minimum number is wrong it's that there is quite a lot of superfluous writing going on and though it is not the worse thing ever it's a tad irritating. For example one of my favorite RPs to read (not in it just read it lol) is the Teen Titans one and while it's a great read the majority of combat post are really one action (that can be replied to anyway) that follows an essay of a character's random analytical skills, insights, and oddly precise inner thoughts which is pretty hard to reply to if without meta gaming or being a mind reader. Or you can be like Yugioh RPs where we write the actual appearance of the monster we summon and it's action to make the line limit. It's a table top card game you almost need noine limit because simply by having a turn you can reply to that with your turn. Okay you summoned the blue eyes white dragon under what circumstance do I need to know what it looks like when it materializes? In my opinion only few monsters need textual explanation (like Dyson Sphere) is there an encouragement of dialogue or something to that line that could probably eradicate this issue.

Second issue: character max: Though I think this may be for another thread I am against a forum wide mandate on the max number of characters that should strictly be left up to the host. While some people would seem to find it ore entertaining to converse with another character about their miscellaneous life instances I find that totally boring and I would much rather be amused at the 10-on-1 epic combat post fest though it shows true lack of skill. Some RPs benefit from more characters, if the setting is a broad overarching world with a plot threatening to effect said world then you would logically need multiple characters to react with (i.e. Heart of Darkness). However if you are like the Teen Titans where your RP is totally centered around your participants then of course you need fewer people.

I suggest an RP jail of some sorts that way you can target people and not the RP as a whole since characters trying to overtake the main plot is a decision of one individual RP acting against the will of the GM.

Why the double-quotations on "rules"? The rules of this section are the rules of this section.

First part... I'm not sure what to say if you think character details are 'superfluous details'. Saiba's roleplays always have really long posts because Saiba always has really long posts. The standard of the thread is born from its author.

As for the yugioh RP comparison, yeah, it is kinda necessary if you don't want your posts to be dry as salt. I couldn't care less if a character summons Blue Eyes White Dragon or not, because unless you set the atmosphere, it's just a bundle of game board stats.

Second part... we were never considering a character mandate. That's always been left to the RP owner, and neither Rinne or I sees a reason to change that.

Final bit- GMs have the responsibility to discipline the people breaking their own rules. If they fail to do that, then they are complicit to a certain degree as well. Rinne and I can't be everywhere at all times, so we have to be able to trust that the rules on the front of every RP aren't just kept there for pretty decoration.

This just feels like people whining because they're too lazy to type ~100 words per post. A piece of writing of that length rarely has "superfluous" writing (unless, like Hydra said earlier, you're Orwell). I go on sites where people regularly post 700-800 words per post, and when you get into the high hundreds or even the thousands is when you can start using the "superfluous" label. If you're really feeling that butthurt about it, just flood your post with dialogue. It'll be a horrible post regardless, but then you don't have to feel so oppressed. (Ihopeyouknowthat'ssarcasm.)

• 3 months later...

Well, this sorta feels like Necrobumping, but I do have a suggestion that could be good. Mainly for RP hosts/Creators.

A Requests forum/Thread. If a person is creating an RP, but is struggling to create NPCs or Places, etc, they can request someone else better at doing those things to give them Ideas, or even create one for them to use. How about that? They can give a basic Idea of what they want, and the person answering the request can help them with the creation.

I thought it was a good Idea, but if not then you can scrap it. I'm not talking about actual Player Characters, just saying. That's against rules. But NPCs and places aren't expies, are they?

You could also create a Generic's sticky/spoiler, full of Generic templates or ideas for people, such as a Generic Starting village/town.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived