:: Roleplay Section Improvements Discussion ::

I have a crazy idea: a roleplaying contest.

It would be split into three rounds: Character Creation, Plot Making, and Roleplaying. There will be 1-3 judges. To get in, you must have a great roleplay sample. Each round, people get eliminated until only a few(2-5 people) are left in the last round. Prize is points and a rep. Maybe even a graphic thing if I can get someone to make it.

Thoughts?

Edit: No replies...

I'm just going to go ahead and make it...

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thing to improve the RP board:

Eliminating all of those forum announcements that seem somewhat unnecessary currently.

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/forum-32/announcement-17-you-dont-need-advanced-tags-in-the-thread-title-anymore/

^Tag System thing. Kind of irrelevant since that's been abolished.

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/forum-32/announcement-14-its-judgment-day/

^Tag system again.

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/forum-32/announcement-11-you-dont-get-it/

^Tag system. I hope you notice a pattern.

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/forum-32/announcement-4-future-changes-roleplay-updates-updated/

^Sushi's changes from 2-3 years ago. Fairly irrelevant now.

Decluttering is always an improvement ;)

• 1 month later...

O_o...!! Hmmm...Maybe you should have someone...ohh...I dunno, inherit your will as mod? Like...oh I dunno...

Seriously I don't know who would replace as a MOD, but I will admit, the MOD on the role-play aren't really active with my questions. Like, I remember asking you something regarding the rules because it wasn't clarified directly within the rules. And when I want to ask the other MODS...they're rather inactive (judging from what I seen that is).

O_o...!! Hmmm...Maybe you should have someone...ohh...I dunno, inherit your will as mod? Like...oh I dunno...

Seriously I don't know who would replace as a MOD, but I will admit, the MOD on the role-play aren't really active with my questions. Like, I remember asking you something regarding the rules because it wasn't clarified directly within the rules. And when I want to ask the other MODS...they're rather inactive (judging from what I seen that is).

This worries me. Inactive mods in a section that is generally active could spell disaster. I come from a forum at least three times as active as this one. All mods are constantly on their toes. Should one even stop to take a breath, the whole place gets spammed to hell. That's why one of the head mods (name Jirki, and used to be one of the strictest) is part of our most popular saying. "If Jirki gave us an inch on the rules, we would take Poland." ...or something to that degree. xD

Any way, the inactiveness should be cured before some of the "spammers" hear about this. Seriously. I'm seeing threads about online dating sites with some...less than appropriate pictures. Sorry if this sounds rude, but I expected threads like that to be gone pretty quick. No offense intended.

• 2 weeks later...

The spambot threads are automated, so my presence will have no effect on them. I've already instituted a threat/policy regarding them, so that should take care of them. Outside of that, the RP section is by nature self-governing, so I only really need to step in if one of you guys raise a complaint. Otherwise, I turn over responsibility to the GMs of each individual thread. Also, finals are also approaching for me in a few weeks, but after that, my activity should return. I apologize to the community for my disappearances.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What about dividing the section ofRole Playing into Categories, either based on difficulty (of posts including detail) or theme of an rp?

There was once a time where we separated with the advanced or basic tags but that turned out to be a little less than acceptable. Categories never works out in the long run, though a good idea for awhile. The man reason it doesn't work is because if you separate by difficulty people get to thinking their to good to be caught dead in the beginners section. Their really isn't any reason to separate because I think you can still control how many threads you see on your page (up to fifty I believe) and you can follow an individual thread so there really isn't any real reason to separate it into categories because finding and following a role play is completely up to the individual role players responsibility. We couldn't even get the Role Play section separated from the Fan Fiction section, there's little chance of getting new forums/sub-forums.

• 2 weeks later...

How about simply adding to the Rules as an "Optional Rule" where you Tag the difficulty/standards of your RP, eg: Beginner, Intermediate advanced, could help give new comers direction? Then again just thoughts.

I don't think a rule is required for that. If people want to do it, suit themselves. I see no need to impinge on them.

Agreeable, Kyubey. The seriousness of the Role Play is on the Role Play Host themselves; you simply set the tone you won't your Role Play to have via the application quality you accept and actually stating it within the rules that you intend for it to be more serious than first lets on.

Eh, my biggest problem with roleplaying here is that every RP has way too many characters, so that only 2 or 3 characters dominate an RP and suck the fun out of it for the other 8 or 9 people in the RP.

On... some other site that I do not wish to name... I've had infinitely more fun just RPing as one character having a dialogue with another character (another RPer). I found one character casually talking about his day or going out on his first date with a girl way more interesting and engaging then 10 people fighting the big evil thing and all trying to out-godmod the previous poster.

I think having a character limit for specially planned RPs would be excellent, but... obviously... that's not enforceable. =\

I had another idea for an RP, and I tried to post it once too. It was a "Death Note" RP, but not really. It was actually tandem writing.

Basically, the back story is that Ryuk returned from the human realm and told everyone the story of Light Yagami and everything he did and etc etc.

The other shinigami are all like "cool story bro, but we saw something even cooler while you were away!" which is obviously a lie.

Ryuk feigns interest, and the other Shinigami literally make up a story on the spot and go with it. I think I wanted it to start as a little girl who wakes up and has the Shinigami eyes. Curiously, all the times of death of the people around her are set to the same time.

The next poster would then be the next Shinigami, making up the next part of the story. Next poster, next shinigami, next part of the story. Hilariously, it could then jump back to any of the previous ones and their own prejudices and own thoughts would back up how they wanted the story to go and how people were depicted in it.

The only "profile" for it was to write a one sentence summary or introduction to a story. I guess, pretend I'm some big hot shot publisher or something and you wanna sell me an idea, but you only got 10 seconds to do it. Basically, it was to weed out the ones who couldn't think on their feet, and who couldn't express ideas clearly or concisely enough.

Of course, me being retarded, I forgot this was YCM and everyone failed, most of them because they put more then one sentence.

... So... like... yeah...

=|

This post wasn't all that helpful in hindsight, but I'm kind of hoping more RP starters have the stones to play with some original ideas. "Herp derp! Duel academy for the 20th time!" is great and all the first 19 times, but it gets so stale after a while.

If I had any friends, I'd probably try to organize some kind of RP but I hate everyone on the board so IDK. *shrug*

... Encourage originality, I guess? =\ I dunno.

I would like to post a differet topic regarding the last couple of messages, but I never could find this in the rules what-so-ever, and so I know have the right on the fourms to get away with it still, but could a general role-play live only with the OoC Thread?

What I mean by this, is when a IC Thread dies and the OoC Thread is still alive, does that make the IC Thread still alive? Since both threads are part of the same role-play, I think it makes sense that someone can make a post in the IC Thread without being blamed for it. However, I can never find a deffinative answer to my question and so I hope someone can answer my questions (perrerbly a MOD as he/she actually does have a voice in the rules).

Eh, my biggest problem with roleplaying here is that every RP has way too many characters, so that only 2 or 3 characters dominate an RP and suck the fun out of it for the other 8 or 9 people in the RP.

On... some other site that I do not wish to name... I've had infinitely more fun just RPing as one character having a dialogue with another character (another RPer). I found one character casually talking about his day or going out on his first date with a girl way more interesting and engaging then 10 people fighting the big evil thing and all trying to out-godmod the previous poster.

I think having a character limit for specially planned RPs would be excellent, but... obviously... that's not enforceable. =\

I had another idea for an RP, and I tried to post it once too. It was a "Death Note" RP, but not really. It was actually tandem writing.

Basically, the back story is that Ryuk returned from the human realm and told everyone the story of Light Yagami and everything he did and etc etc.

The other shinigami are all like "cool story bro, but we saw something even cooler while you were away!" which is obviously a lie.

Ryuk feigns interest, and the other Shinigami literally make up a story on the spot and go with it. I think I wanted it to start as a little girl who wakes up and has the Shinigami eyes. Curiously, all the times of death of the people around her are set to the same time.

The next poster would then be the next Shinigami, making up the next part of the story. Next poster, next shinigami, next part of the story. Hilariously, it could then jump back to any of the previous ones and their own prejudices and own thoughts would back up how they wanted the story to go and how people were depicted in it.

The only "profile" for it was to write a one sentence summary or introduction to a story. I guess, pretend I'm some big hot shot publisher or something and you wanna sell me an idea, but you only got 10 seconds to do it. Basically, it was to weed out the ones who couldn't think on their feet, and who couldn't express ideas clearly or concisely enough.

Of course, me being retarded, I forgot this was YCM and everyone failed, most of them because they put more then one sentence.

... So... like... yeah...

=|

This post wasn't all that helpful in hindsight, but I'm kind of hoping more RP starters have the stones to play with some original ideas. "Herp derp! Duel academy for the 20th time!" is great and all the first 19 times, but it gets so stale after a while.

If I had any friends, I'd probably try to organize some kind of RP but I hate everyone on the board so IDK. *shrug*

... Encourage originality, I guess? =\ I dunno.

That Death Note idea sounded great p.s. I was one of those failed people I think lol, but I do agree with you, having maximum 5 Apps I think would be more productive it also allows the RP group to not have to wait for a praticular person to post, or at least it'll happen irregularly

I would like to post a differet topic regarding the last couple of messages, but I never could find this in the rules what-so-ever, and so I know have the right on the fourms to get away with it still, but could a general role-play live only with the OoC Thread?

What I mean by this, is when a IC Thread dies and the OoC Thread is still alive, does that make the IC Thread still alive? Since both threads are part of the same role-play, I think it makes sense that someone can make a post in the IC Thread without being blamed for it. However, I can never find a deffinative answer to my question and so I hope someone can answer my questions (perrerbly a MOD as he/she actually does have a voice in the rules).

If the OOC thread is still active you should post within the OOC thread asking if the role play is still alive.

Archived