[YCMaker Forums Discussion] - Your Ideas, Suggestions + General Thoughts!

Junk Raver

[align=center]< 0 >

YCMaker Forum Members, you have most likely Wished for a thread like this for a long time now, well its finally here.

Falling Pizza recently came up with the idea for this thread, based from some of my views on the running of the Forums.

What the Moderators, Admin and even you members have noticed over time, is many members views on how the site is run, organised and set-up etc.

It is true that many many many fantastic suggestions and ideas have been ignored, possibly due to lack of admin and Moderator activity, but mainly due to the fact we may have not thought they were needed. But now, we want YOUR Ideas, Suggestions and General Thoughts on what you would like from these forums, and this is the thread in which you can step forward and express your ideas, not to slate the site and members off though, just for you to say what you think would make certain parts of the forums, or the entire forums better and more effcient.

You must remember though, for each Idea / suggestion / thought you mention, you must have valid reasons to show how they will make the forum a better place for all to see and use.

- If you have sensible suggestions for new Moderators of certain sections, mention them with valid reasons why they would suit the part.

- If you want sections to be merged, re-arranged, have bits removed or subsections added, say so and why you wish for them and how they can benefit users.

- If you have suggestions for improvement of the forum as a whole, such as larger avatars and such stuff, mention them and the obvious why.

Now this thread should not be used as a thread to list 100's of things that are bad about the forum / for improvement, only the major issues that affect you and many users should be mentioned.

You say the Golden Era of the Forums have gone, its about time we try to reach that Level again, and im sure this thread can help towards it.

Oh, and also please do not start heated discussions etc. regarding other members suggestions, within this thread, you post your thoughts, then leave, wait for moderators to discuss them and get back to you, which we should be able to do.

And Although i never really give out Neg Reps, for those that take them seriously and would actually be bothered by them, i will hand out, a handful, to members who spam in this thread ^_^

Dj Osiris

OFF NOTE

Slightly off topic, but Falling Pizza has been reading current suggestions and is making sure that current Moderators and Future Moderators will find common ground Moderation rules and will train all to Moderate the site more efficiently and effectively. So Stop with the 'Bad Untrained Moderator' cafuzzle.

< 0 >[/align]

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad to hear that from FP. In fact' date=' I'm really glad of this whole thread's existance.

Oh, and here's my suggestion: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/thread-75308.html

I'll be sure to post here every time I think of a good idea to help improve the forums.

[/quote']

I too wish my Avatar was 100x100, nice idea, through reading:

I've tried 100x100 avatars in the past' date=' and they simply take up too much space and make for a tacky look by creating an excess amount of blank space in the user info header. I realize that I have a 100x100 avatar, but that's only because the system won't let me make it smaller for some unknown reason.

[/quote']

Its true it does leave some blank space, which doesnt look as smart as 80x80 avatars, however since so many members, myself included, desire 100x100 avatars, i will mention this on the Mod Forum, and mainly to YCMaker in Question.

Guest JoshIcy

Blame Faint for me posting and notifying me of this thread. But this opinion needs to be said, and spoken in General, which IMO should be true of all forums.

What I am seeing is that the Moderators see themselves as above the other members. When if anything due to their responsibility, should in fact be below. Their job is to watch members and set rules according to them. Not according to their own convenience.

As such, my suggestion/discussion is this;

- All mods should consider themselves below other members, but at the same time on the same level as them. To this effect, they are always Members first and Moderators second. And each new rule or change, is to fit them. Not the amount of stress they may encounter.

Blame Faint for me posting and notifying me of this thread. But this opinion needs to be said' date=' and spoken in General, which IMO should be true of all forums.

What I am seeing is that the Moderators see themselves as above the other members. When if anything due to their responsibility, should in fact be below. Their job is to watch members and set rules according to them. Not according to their own convenience.

As such, my suggestion/discussion is this;

- All mods should consider themselves below other members, but at the same time on the same level as them. To this effect, they are always Members first and Moderators second. And each new rule or change, is to fit them. Not the amount of stress they may encounter.

[/quote']

It is an opinion like that which has lead to current discussions of Moderator Training programs. An honest and welcomed opinion, and out of my own experience, it is true. Not all Moderators may feel / have felt this, but i always felt higher than the members, during my main active Moderation back earlier in the year, its a simple power trip, depending on the personality of the Moderator, it will make them higher, lower or equal to members. I feel Level nowadays, Power trips only last for a period of time, then comes resentment, then a neutral feeling.

I have a question....can we suggest things for the Card Maker?

Oh I have a mod suggestion...

For Your Deck

Judgment Dragon: He's a REALLY good deck maker...also very nice member and helps people with their decks so he'd be a good mod for this section

Maybe not so much a Moderator, but perhaps a new Usergroup named "Deck Maker" or "Deck Helper" or something similar? Moderator's aren't usually selected because they're good at making Decks.

Guest JoshIcy

Moderator Training? Are you kidding me?

This has nothing to do about being a Moderator, as it was/is a title of responsibility and how much a member can do. Given my previous post.

Also, Moderators who simply post "Locked" in a thread. Why? Isn't that the same as Post Spamming, irregardless of thread intent? Hmmm, seeing as there is 1 or 2 mods for a given section as well as a fair number of Super Mods. A person can settle a thread dispute just the same by PM'ing the appropriate person, given they give themselves the time.

With that true, threads unless of importance (such as a thread that caused a sort of uproar) should be locked anonymously. This opens the window for the person to read the rules voluntarily to learn and more chances to be given. Instead of winging it as so many of us did, (you know who you are...). And it also allows more rules to be tailored to the member, due to anonymous behavior. Creating less direct friction by who ever may be tempted by it. As well as many other little things, from n00bs to newbies.

[Lol it surprises me how much a simple thing can affect a whole system. But it is true.]

Now back to the top. About Moderator Training.

How can you consider that? The only way it will work is if a person is given a sort of test to test his/her level of General Bias. And watched over a long period of time, along with their temper and how easy it is to set off, regardless of the frequency. How well they react and sound to an issue.

The issue with Moderator Training, will NEVER be about moderation. But their perspective and level-headedness.

I find the Warn system largely unnecessary. Handing out one-day bans and topic locks like candy tends to be more effective than giving out slap-on-the-wrist warns until someone finally gets enough for a six-hour suspension of posting abilities.

I have a question....can we suggest things for the Card Maker?

Oh I have a mod suggestion...

For Your Deck

Judgment Dragon: He's a REALLY good deck maker...also very nice member and helps people with their decks so he'd be a good mod for this section

Maybe not so much a Moderator' date=' but perhaps a new Usergroup named "Deck Maker" or "Deck Helper" or something similar? Moderator's aren't usually selected because they're good at making Decks.

[/quote']

True, but certain sections have additional prerequisites, which means that anyone who wants to become a moderator in Your Deck had better be a good deckbuilder. The same goes for TCG, where potential applicants need to be good at discussing the game. This is largely because both of these sections (especially TCG) have been filled with often-undeserved elitism for several months now, and would not tolerate or respect a local moderator lacking these qualities.

Moderator Training? Are you kidding me?

This has nothing to do about being a Moderator' date=' as it was/is a title of responsibility and how much a member can do. Given my previous post.

Also, Moderators who simply post "Locked" in a thread. Why? Isn't that the same as Post Spamming, irregardless of thread intent? Hmmm, seeing as there is 1 or 2 mods for a given section as well as a fair number of Super Mods. A person can settle a thread dispute just the same by PM'ing the appropriate person, given they give themselves the time.

With that true, threads unless of importance (such as a thread that caused a sort of uproar) should be locked anonymously. This opens the window for the person to read the rules voluntarily to learn and more chances to be given. Instead of winging it as so many of us did, (you know who you are...). And it also allows more rules to be tailored to the member, due to anonymous behavior. Creating less direct friction by who ever may be tempted by it. As well as many other little things, from n00bs to newbies.

[Lol it surprises me how much a simple thing can affect a whole system. But it is true.']

Now back to the top. About Moderator Training.

How can you consider that? The only way it will work is if a person is given a sort of test to test his/her level of General Bias. And watched over a long period of time, along with their temper and how easy it is to set off, regardless of the frequency. How well they react and sound to an issue.

The issue with Moderator Training, will NEVER be about moderation. But their perspective and level-headedness.

It is factual statements like that, and your beliefs, which is why so many members, myself included, do wish for you to be one of the sites Moderators, you know first hand that a members general personality and brain matters more then general moderation operations.

Oh, and you can lock threads in 2 ways, the Lock thread button which leads to a confirm button, or the post-and-lock button, 1 button or 2, basically its speed, its twice as quick to post and lock then it is to confirm and lock, if your in a rush, lazy or cant generally be bothered, post-and-lock is better.

The Anime section is already used to discuss Anime other than Yu-Gi-Oh!, so all we really need to do is change the board description and move it from the Yu-Gi-Oh heading to the Other heading.

We need an Anime section in General.

No' date=' we don't.

Also, maybe make it 'Other Anime And Video Games'. K?

We've been trying to get a Multimedia section since I joined, but it died.

The Anime section is already used to discuss Anime other than Yu-Gi-Oh!' date=' so all we really need to do is change the board description and move it from the Yu-Gi-Oh heading to the Other heading.

[/quote']

Yes, we do. I've been saying that about Fan-Fiction and Role-Playing for ages. I was also complaining that they are merged while being in no way related. (apart from the Literature side of both, in which case the section should be called "Literature".)

Guest JoshIcy

Or make the Anime section have an 'Other Anime' subsection' date=' that way its kept in the same place. I shall discuss this with the others.

[/quote']

And how much will that take away from the overall theme of the site?

TCG is not in conflict due to it actually being about the game. Nor is Graphic Design because people are constantly trying to find ways to upstage other people's cards due to flair or otherwise by means of GFX.

Everything else goes and stays in General.

If you do not, you may run risk of ruining the reason that people come to this site. (The Cardmaker) and the subsequent parts of the Anime/Card Game. Adding any section such as Anime or Music or hell... Diaper Baby Fun Time. Will bring new members, not for the site itself but for what it splits away from.

Keep your Anime Talk to Clubs/Organizations or a nice long thread in General. And do not attempt to ruin the overall why people are attracted to this site.

That been true icy, some members come here not for Yu-Gi-Oh or to create Cards, in which those members still want to be here but have other things to discuss, so a subsection would hardly hurt at all. Also hence its a subsection, its not going to be a new entire section that would seem to default the Yu-Gi-Oh thing, but a simple subsection, it should be fine.

And the majority of people who like Yu-Gi-Oh like other animes as well.

Or make the Anime section have an 'Other Anime' subsection' date=' that way its kept in the same place. I shall discuss this with the others.

[/quote']

And how much will that take away from the overall theme of the site?

TCG is not in conflict due to it actually being about the game. Nor is Graphic Design because people are constantly trying to find ways to upstage other people's cards due to flair or otherwise by means of GFX.

Everything else goes and stays in General.

If you do not, you may run risk of ruining the reason that people come to this site. (The Cardmaker) and the subsequent parts of the Anime/Card Game. Adding any section such as Anime or Music or hell... Diaper Baby Fun Time. Will bring new members, not for the site itself but for what it splits away from.

Keep your Anime Talk to Clubs/Organizations or a nice long thread in General. And do not attempt to ruin the overall why people are attracted to this site.

I think that is wrong.

If I searched for anime website I wouldn't find this site.

Archived