Yugioh Card Maker Tournament!

Yes, indeed you read right. And just as it is the Yugioh Card Maker Tourny, it will be duelled using created cards (as not all of us have actual decks, like me; well I actually do but its' not exactly competitive :).)

Now this tournament will have each players' created decks (and they must be fully created. No real cards [This might change if the general consensus dislikes it, but remember its' a CREATED card tourny] allowed.) pitted against one another in one of four formats (based on which is liked more and the number of players): Swiss, Knockout, Double-Elimination, and, in the case of a small amount of players, Round Robin. If, in fact, I get enough support, we could have a multi-stage tournament, but I doubt this idea'll have enough support.

First off, this idea can only work if I get a lot of people who want to play, so you must post to say you are interested. Note for people: to create a deck, you'll need an ABSOLUTE minimum of 14 cards (ie. 3x13 + 1 cards for a 40 card deck). Not a RECOMMENDED minimum of 14, an ABSOLUTE minimum of 14. Just stressing this point.

Then, I will run over the deck (which you'll have to submit to me with appropriate links to topics where I can find the cards) and cite overpowered cards (and, in extreme cases, UNDERpowered cards), and hopefully recommend fixes to make the cards nice and balanced, so this tourney is a test of creativity, skill, card design, and, of course, a tiny bit of luck :).

Then the people will be paired off for duels. This uses Frunks' method, with the Duel Mod (who will be me, unless I get too many applicants [which I don't think'll be likely], when I'll maybe find one or two more) PM'ing cards and stuff to the duelists. Now, we me in Australia, I know I'm isolated timezone-wise from most people here who I expect will be British or American. So, in addition to Frunk's "real time" method, where the duelists and Duel Mod blitz through some moves in real time, this way also allows the duellists to duel "turn-based", where they will make moves, until another "real time" session can be arranged, hopefully to get through a few more turns faster.

So, how about it? Who wants to see how their cards REALLY stack up? Isn't this why we all made the cards in the first place: so we could watch our dream card win us a duel? Post here saying you're in to help me estimate numbers. If I don't get enough numbers, this thing will be cancelled, and I don't want that, 'coz there are some cards I REALLY wanna see duel, and I just think its' kinda boring how now there are only 4 or 5 kinds of decent decks in the real-life TCG now-a-days.

Who's in?

PS. Written Cards are welcome too :).

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, of course, I forgot an important element: the prize. The prize pool will be 100 points, and can either be winner-takes-all, or a split depending on position. Also, it could even be each player antes to a prize pool with the winner taking that. Also, the winner will be heralded in prestige as the victor of the first Created Card Tournie! :).

Yes, I am most certainly interested. elsandero makes a good point though, I'm in the United States, unless it was during a week end where I could be up all night, but I'd be super sleepy for my duel :D

NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO LOOK AT MY DARK PALADIN CARDS TO GET A GIMPS OF MY STRATEGY... but if you do, be sure to leave a comment :wink:

Well, Maddog, before we get into complications like buying Starter Decks and Booster Packs and the like (which, if this idea is successful, may be incorporated later), I decided to figure out if a) we'd even have enough support for this idea, and b) how much difficulty we have in holding it. Rest assured, your idea will be considered (and I like it :)).

Right, as of right now I have TWELVE interested players (:shock:), but Maddog, and HORUS, you'll need to confirm. If we can get eight, that'd be a fantastic even number if we want a knockout or double-elimination tournament (of course, we might decide to go Swiss or Round Robin, or possibly even break up into groups with a knockout stage etc. etc.).

List of Entered Playerz + UNOFFICIAL Deck:

Shaco (Dark Paladin/Thunder) COMPLETED

The Hunter (Rainbow) Awaiting Confirmation

Death12328 (Demented Wonderland) Awaiting Confirmation

elsandero (UnderWorld) Awaiting Confirmation

Ultimajk (Negima) COMPLETED

NP_Sage (Unknown) 1st PM Needed!

HORUS (Unknown) 1st PM Needed!

nobodywins (Unknown)

YugiohMasta (Unknown)

Frunk (Viking) 1st PM Needed!

Maddog15 (CyberLyger [under Review])

JoshCooper (Artillery Fire) 1st PM Needed!

TotalObelisk (Elemental Dragon) Awaiting Confirmation

You guys will have to PM me your decks. A few deckbuilding rules:

1) No using cards from other players' decks AT ALL.

2) You MAY use cards from players who are not competing. But, you will need their permission.

3) Your Main Deck must have 40 or more cards. (There is no maximum limit).

4) Your Side Deck must have EXACTLY 15 cards. If you have 14, sorry, no Side Deck.

5) Three copies of all cards are allowed.

6) Only created cards may be used.

7) Fusion Decks may be any size.

8) You must PM me your deck, with card name, how many copies of each are in your deck, and with the topics they are found in.

i) If they are Spells or Traps, you must include their type and their effect;

ii) If they are Monsters, you must specify if they have an effect, the actual effect, ATK, DEF and level stars.

iii) The above may be found in the PM OR the thread.

iv) If the PM'd card and the forum cards are different I WILL use the PM card.

9) Sets created AFTER the tournament has begun (which will be measured from when the final competitor is confirmed) will NOT be eligible for contendership in Deck Building.

10) The decision on what cards are overpowered lays with me. If it is difficult for me to tell, I will place it in a poll and the majority will decide. The owner of the card will modify it and the process repeats.

The forum duelling rules will be explained in full when the competition starts. Sorry to bore you with all this housekeeping stuff, but if it's not done it ends up becoming an unenjoyable mess, and I don't want that.

PS. Maddog and HORUS, I need confirmation if you're duelling or not. I'd like to get eight players, although six or ten would be fine too.

PPS. Everybody, work out your decks and prepare to PM them to me. You don't have to do it right away, but the earlier you do it the easier it is on me to randomise your cards and point out overpowered ones.

PPPS!: In case you are wondering, I am NOT taking part in this.

FINAL POST SCRIPT: Anyone who loves my Mathematical Melee or Blitz Bandits can use them here. They're fair game :).

Right. Welcome, NP Sage. Ok elsandero, UnderWorld is IN. That's eight if Maddog and HORUS actually enter, but in any case we have six at worst. Also, you MAY use two or more different sets to make your deck. Note, though that most sets have a distinct theme and breaking that theme with outside cards might do more hurt than help.

But Shaco raises a good point, so I am opening three (in-thread) polls.

A) Should we be allowed real cards?

B) Should the prize be winner-takes-all, or distributed based on ranking?

C) Do you guys want a straight knockout, a one-big-group Round Robin, a Swiss system, or a multi-stage tournament?

INFO:

Round Robin: A round robin is when each player plays EVERY other player in their group. Now, we could have one big group, or we could have more [see Multi-Stage].

Straight Knockout: I don't think I need to explain this. We need 8 players for it, though.

Swiss System: A Swiss is when the tournament glasts a certain number of rounds (4,6 etc.) To start, the players are randomly paired off. A win scores 1, a draw .5 and a loss 0. The players with the most equal scores play off, with, if necessary, players being paired off with players higher or lower than them to make numbers. After the second round, the two highest ranked players play, the two next highest play, and so on, until the number of rounds have elapsed. At that time, the points indicate who is the victor (or, in the case of a Multi-Stage, the qualifier.)

MULTI-STAGE: This is the system I'd like to use if we get a fair few people. It uses two of the above systems in a multi-stage tournament, like large real tournaments, like the Soccer World Cup and the like. We'd have two or more groups in a round robin, then have the winners (or, possibly, the top 2) go into the second stage of the tourny, the Knockout Stage, to find a victor.

@Death: Got your set, PM'd back my suggestions on overpowered cards.

Note on PM'ing me your cards: I'd prefer them to be in Written form, 'coz its' easier and faster for me to process the information, but, of course, actual cards are welcome.

PS. If you think there is a card that you are sure is overpowered, just tone it down yourself if possible, as it saves me (and, in effect, you as well) a lot of time in the long run, as you don't have to keep coming up with new ways to tone it down until its' ok.

(Edited my post above to include NP Sage and Deaths' deck.

Falling: Normal real-world deck rules (ie. 40 cards, 15 side, unlimited fusion, 3 copies of card) plus you must email me your deck card list. Thats' all in summary.

Also I need people to vote on the three polls. Can we use real cards, how the prize should be distributed? In regards to the type of tourney, scratch that, it'll just be a pool stage then a knockout, like the Soccer, Rugby and Cricket World Cups, for example

Edited players-in post. Checking the PM's now.

Thanks for all the support guys.

Yes, this is a double post but I think it warrants one.

APPLICATIONS FOR ENTRANCE CLOSE IN 48 HOURS.

In FORUM TIME [Which is what I'm measuring in, as its' easier than anything else], the entrances will close at 1:00pm Wednesday. After that, we will wait upon final deck confirmation and then LET THE (card) GAMES BEGIN!

No exceptions. After that I will issue a deadline for deck construction. I don't want this whole thing to stall in the deckmaking phase :(, that'd be tragic. [/u]

I'd like to participate with my Vikings which I will hurry to finish, and I would also like to apply for a Duel Mod position, which I have justified below. I do think we should be allowed to use some of our real cards, just vital and useful cards like Mystical Space Typhoon for example.

I would like to thank you for reviving this idea as a tournament was one of my original intentions, I don't know if you saw the thread, but the test held by Maddog15, Danilus and myself only managed three turns. You must take into account problems like these;

*Members activating cards in other players turns. Needs to be addressed - suggestions please

*Timezomes. If you, Dan and myself were the Duel Mods, we'd cover all the international Duels very well.

*Over-powered Cards. Danilus and I could help you with determining the playability of a card, as we have literally seen the worst of the worst on the old site. We could even create a Banned and Limited List. :)

*Time. I think once there is a set time between the Mod and the Duelists, if a player is not online 15 mins after the sceduled start, they are disqualified, and victory is awarded to the other Duelist.

*Time Length. I think after a maximum of 5 hours Duel time, whoever has the more life points is the winner - that is maximum and only in the case of a long Duel.

I would suggest we use Maddog15's layout;

Duelists's *number* turn;

Duelists's life points: *number*

Draw phase - *number* Card - *number card(s) in hand

Stand by phase - (Can somebody please tell me the point of the Standby Phase? - Frunk)

Main Phase -

Battle Phase -

Main Phase 2 -

Here is a copy of the rules:

For Duel Mods;

-You must be unbias

-You PM the ramdomly drawn cards to the Duelists (This could be done by writing the card names down and drawing them out of two hats - one for each Duelist. Or you might know of a better way, anyway, randomly selected)

-Insure no SPAM occours on behalf of other members trolling the Duel (There should be strict penalties to deter this, like; Temporary Account Suspension, Deduction of Points, etc.)

-You must make the topic, no particular reason why (It could be called e.g. Falling Pizza vs. Frunk)

-Always send a reply PM to any PMs you receive from the Duelists

For Duelists;

-Breaking of ficati.com/yugiohcardmaker.net will result in automatic disqualification

-No SPAM or Trolling at all - penalties will be implied for rule breakers

-If any game fixing is uncovered (e.g. Bribing of the Duel Mod), Temporary Account Suspension is highly likely

-You must follow offical Yu-Gi-Oh rules as stated Here

-There will be a maximum of 15 minutes for you to come online if you are late for a Duel before you are disqualified

-PM any cards you set to the Duel Mod and wait for confirmation

-At the start of the Duel, donate any bets (e.g. 25 points each) to the Duel Mod who will ensure that the points get to the winning duelist at the end of the duel.

For ficati.com/yugiohcardmaker.net Members

-Feel free to watch the Duel (By refreshing the page every once in a while)

-No posting is allowed in the Duel Topic during the duel and will not tolerated - Harsh penalties will be implied

-You may post and comment on the Duel in the Duel topic at the end of the Duel

Further reading anyone?

Forum Dueling Discussion Thread

Forum Dueling Test

well i know a way of alowing ur openent to activate cards during your openents turn. 1) writin ur phase 1 by one ( this would be 2 long and not worth it) 2) use a chat box e.g msn messenger. you could place a couple on the website to use, this would mean it would be quicker tyo activate cards during your opponents turn.

This is the thing Maddog, we want this to be simplistic, not everyone uses MSN and/or other Instant Messaging programs and I really don't see any place for any type of chatroom on this site UNLESS there was someway to keep this chatbox locked when Duels are not happening. Plus, how would the shoutbox make much difference unless we put the whole duel in there - which would totally be beside the point of a Forum Duel.

I've figured out a great idea. Real cards are limited to 1 a deck. The following are BANNED:

Hammer Shot

Fissure

Smashing Ground

All cards banned for Advanced Format.

That's all for now, I'll think of more as I go.

Note: Shaco has special permission, he may use Dark Magician, Buster Blader, Dark Paladin and Thunder Dragon, as he's created a full deck around those cards.

PS. On the choice of banned cards, I don't want Rageki wiping out fields; I want the duellists' favourite cards duking it out in the ultimate contest to find both the best Creator and the best Duellist. Yay! :).

Archived