[Leaderboard] Sage vs Kinka-Byo

Nathanael D. Striker

Rules:

All Leaderboard rules apply.
First to 3 votes or most by 12pm PST on 1/9 wins.
If there are no votes after the deadline, next vote wins.
All voters must elaborate on their votes.
The contestants and I have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why we don't accept it.
Contestants have 12 hours after the last vote is cast to refuse any vote within reason.
Written cards are allowed. (Must be in written format, cards with blank pictures are not acceptable)

Create a Level 2 or lower monster with a search effect.

Rewards:
The winner gets a rep from the loser.
All voters get a rep for voting.

Card A

Bz01j3O.jpg
During either player's turn, if this card battles a Level/Rank 4 or higher monster: You can double this card's original ATK until the End Phase, but if you do, switch this card to defense position during the End Phase. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard by a card effect: You can add 1 Level 4 or lower Insect-type monster from your deck to your hand.

Card B
W2tTXFQ.jpg

If this card is Normal Summoned or Special Summoned by the effect of a Beast-Type monster: you can add 1 Level 2 or lower Beast-Type monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. An Xyz Monster that was Summoned using this card as Xyz Material gains this effect:
@When this card is Xyz Summoned: this card is unaffected by your opponent's card effects until your next Standby Phase.

I think I would vote for card A: as much as bat-caller seems pretty good for Xyz summons, Titan with some equips can become quite the beast, and with its effect you can add another Titan and even Kamakiri #1 so that you can basically negate 3 enemy attacks in the next few turns... The fact your opponents are mostly unprepared to fight a level 2 with about 2400 ATK can be quite good, as most of the decks resolve on Level 4 monsters/rank 4 monsters and above, again, if your opponent tries to destroy it with black hole or any other effect, you can just add another one from your deck to your hand pretty easily, the change battle position balances the card, but a whole lot of cards (Zero Gravity and so on) can make so that it stays in attack position. So, yes, vote for Card A but, just for the notice, Card B doesn't stay that much back, as you can basically special summon it, add the level 2 and Xyz summon on the spot and it can't be destroyed by effects, but level 2 Xyz monsters aren't exactly what you would call invincible, which balances it, as it can be destroyed by battle (most of the time) pretty easily. All in all, I really think having a level 2 2400 ATK is somewhat better than the bat, but maybe it is because you can destroy some of the most annoying Xyz cards with a 2400 pretty easily... Vote for A still

I vote for Card B.

Card A may look like an all-around support for Insects in general as a floating searcher, but the catch is that it must reach the graveyard by a card effect, making it slightly impractical. Being able to run over most Level/Rank4 monsters by turning into a 2400-ATK beater is cool, but it still has glaring weaknesses, such as losing by battle to Level 3 or lower monsters with more than 1200 ATK, and of course any Level/Rank4+ monster with more than 2400 ATK. Not to mention the drawback is has after attacking with the boost.

Card B looks solid. I don't exactly like how it is practically limited to Level 2 Beast decks, or rather Raccoon Decks, but at least seems the card can be of great use for them.

Card A hits 2400 ATK when it fights bigger monsters, but it goes to Defense Position afterwards (and depending on what you fight against, most it'll do is just reduce the amount of damage you take or force a draw). And yes, there are Level/Rank 3 monsters with more than 1200 ATK, which this card cannot run over. Last effect helps Insects to an extent, BUT it has to be killed by a card effect which limits it to being blown up via Mirror Force or some other form of effect removal.

(Insect Imitation stuff works here, but other than that, not too many things can use this card efficiently. Insects got the short end of the stick in design lately.)

Card B works with Raccoons to an extent and grants 64 (or whatever R2s they want to run) effect immunity for a while, which is great.

Search works on summoning or if something like Tantan summons it, so that's also a plus there (not to mention recovering Graveyard resources that got detached earlier or went to the Graveyard by other means).

----

So yeah, card B gets vote for better usability overall.

Well, I just gotta say Sakura and Darj brought up fair enough points (to be honest I'm so focused on the Xyz new decks wave of things that I forgot racoon decks were a thing XP, meh, I'll still stand in my decision though...), nothing to add to the competition, just thinking out loud. Still, I think bug spray with titan to bring a U. Insect level 3 to the hand on a level deck could be a nice usage of it. Guess being an actual person that payed attention to all yu-gi-oh decks instead of a set format is not something I'm good at yet...

Card A is a nice little battle surprise card with a set of perfectly fair drawbacks. Its search effect is also good and keeps to the whole "endless hoard of advantage" theme that insects have. However, 1 thing really bothers me about this card and that is the condition to get the search, specifically that it needs to be triggered from field to grave by a card effect. Most often, the player playing the card will be the one to trigger it, but in the end, they might end up losing advantage in doing so. Even though in-theme there are a few ways to trigger it, (insect imitation & that card that ditches insects for tokens) it might be tough using this card's search effect outside "generic insect deck" for now.

Card B has an even smaller usage circle than A, however it makes up for that by really pushing that circle. Its search effect is immediate (which is definitely helpful), but that also means it is easier to negate. And, again, not as wide a range of searches as A, but powerful and useful for its niche. This card's secondary effect is really helpful as well, giving strength to an underdeveloped rank pool.

I think I'm going to go with A on this one. Its usage is a lot more dynamic and it has a (albeit slightly) broader scope. While they both have really nice secondary effects, Card A can be used without intending to use the search and vice-versa. B's effects are very closely tied and it loses a much greater portion of its power than A does if it only uses 1 effect.

Vote: Card A

EDIT: @Sakura Card A doesn't need to be destroyed to trigger, just sent from field >> grave by card effect.

Also, I'm kinda surprised neither are EARTH attribute. When this 1v1 is over, would the creators mind sharing why they made 'em just so?

This is getting ridiculous. I guess I have to finish this myself.

Card A is essentially a floating beater, yet it needs the right circumstances for both. Problem is, the opponent could simply ram a 1200+ ATK Level/Rank 3 or lower monster into this and prevent it from floating and beating. TBH, that makes this card easy to play around. Sure, it supports Insects somewhat well; however, the fact that it is easy to play around makes this card meh. If the floating effect worked for both battle and effect destruction, then I guess it could be better.

So, Card B can grab a Level 2 or lower Beast-Type monster on Summon it seems. While I'm not familiar with Racoons, it seems this card can do well in it given the above votes. The effects are potent, though they aren't that gamebreaking which is a bonus. Hmm, I guess it could work. Seems a bit too limited in its targets though. Maybe if it was Level 3/4 or lower, then it could be a bit better. I do see why you chose Level 2 or lower though.

This comes down to easy to play around vs limited targets. I'm going to have to go with Card B in this one. Card A has a hard time doing what it is meant to do due to the easy it can be played around. Card B does have the issue of limited targets, but that doesn't mean it can't do what it is supposed to.

Any objections?

Archived