[Leaderboard] Aez vs Dova

ÆƵ–

All Leaderboard rules apply.
First to 3 votes or most votes by the deadline wins.
All voters must elaborate on their votes.
Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.
Written cards are allowed. (Must be in written format, cards with blank pictures are not acceptable)
Cards must be PM'd to me.
Remove any evidence of the card being made by you to ensure anonymity.
In case a downtime happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Loser reps winner 1

Card requirements:

Create support for a "vanilla" ritual monster.

Card A:
HjQtDWV.jpg
Once per turn, if you would Ritual Summon "The Masked Beast", you can Tribute 1 monster your opponent controls as if you controlled it. Once per turn, if you control "The Masked Beast": you can send 1 Spell/Trap Card you control to the Graveyard; take control of 1 monster your opponent controls, but it cannot attack, or be used as Synchro or Xyz material.

Card B:
DxuLPWT.png
If you Ritual Summon a non-Effect Ritual Monster(s) with a card effect that requires use of monsters, this card can be used as the entire requirement. If you Ritual Summon a "Chakra" non-Effect Ritual Monster using this card, that card gains this effect:
● Once per turn: You can Tribute monsters from your hand or field and/or banish monsters from your Graveyard, then Ritual Summon 1 non-Effect Ritual Monster from your hand whose Level exactly equals the total Levels of those monsters.

Card A is basically Monarchs Stormforth for The Masked Beast (which isn't bad, but limited to that particular monster) and comes with a Big Eye-esque effect, but you can't really do much with it, except use it as future Ritual fodder and Fusions (however you can fit them into a Deck revolving around it). In case I have to clarify this (and should be obvious), I'm referring to Number 11 by saying Big Eye; not the Metal Raiders card that no one uses any more.

Card B is Ritual Raven/Shurit for all Vanilla Rituals, which is a nice thing to have; coupled with a Nekroz Mirror effect and letting you use the Graveyard as resources (if you Ritual Summon the associated monster). If anything, being able to be used as the full Tribute makes Ritual Summoning certain monsters a bit easier, even though there aren't too many vanilla Rituals out there anyway (well, all of them exist in the DM period).

----

As a whole, card B gets my vote, since it offers more to vanilla Rituals as a whole by making their summons easier.

B is nice for The Masked Beast, but unless you can protect said monster from being removed, card is effectively dead weight.

A is an interesting idea, in being a kind of Monarchs Stormforth for The Masked Beast. However that is itself the problem, in that it only works for The Masked Beast. Were this an effect that applied to all non-effect ritual monster summons I'd say it was an excellent thing, but as is it's so pointlessly limiting I don't know what to say. Conversely, where it not for the fact that the second card has a generic support effect, I'd not have considered this a factor at all, so I'm not sure how fair it is to have it as a basis of criticism. Like it works very well for that specific monster but Masked Beast is nothing but a 3200 body with no particular outstanding traits and nothing that marks it as any more useful or applicable than the other vanilla rituals.

The Big Eye-esque effect is honestly too weak also. Requiring you to have a monster out with no inherent protection, and then sending a backrow you control, as opposed to even just letting you do it from the hand, to steal a monster that you can then only tribute or use as fodder for costs or something, it's really not enough to be worthwhile. I like the flavour of it, presuming it's supposed to be "sacrifice" and not "scarifice", but I don't think it does enough. At least the stealing is non-target which is a huge plus but the limitations it puts on the usage make me skeptical of just how far it really gets you.

As for B, it's instantly more broadly usable by having the generic fulfilling effect for the vanilla rituals. That's not exactly a huge ability but it does make it helpful at least, so that the usual minuses of generic rituals being summoned is relatively offset. The effect it grants to Chakra I really like to be honest, I'm not entirely sure it'd even count as a ritual summon just because of mechanics but either way it's a nice thing to do. However, it doesn't really benefit you too much because it still requires tributes from the hand/field for what is ultimately a vanilla, which is invariably a minus, so I can't say it's particularly fantastic.

Overall, I feel like I may be being a bit too critical, or just expecting too much of what is a rather limiting and challenging criteria, but I can't say I'm overly enthused by either, so it's a vote for C. Soz.

Hmm... Non-effect Ritual Support, eh?

ヽ(`Д´)ノ <(Y U NO SUPPORT HUNGRY BURGER!)

Ahem, all jokes aside, I think I'm gonna have to go with B on this.

Card A has some nice flavor behind it and it helps ramp up Masked Beast with an effect that is reminiscent of the Mask of Remnants. Its first effect is... Ok. It's a nice add-on, and helps clear difficult monsters, but it kinda counteracts the card's second effect and is one that could be played around through setting monsters or using XYZs. However, the biggest issue is how limited in scope it is in comparison to Card B.

Card B is much more open-ended in terms of use, but at the same time is still quite powerful and holds a much more subtle value. It's two effects together give way to a utilizing a bunch of Normal Rituals at once with "Chakra" as the focal point. Months ago, I might've dismissed this, but with Pre-prep and Urgent Ritual Art, the idea of using multiple (non-archetypal) rituals at once is much more viable. What is particularly helpful is that the other Ritual Spells don't NEED to be run if Chakra was summoned with this and there's immediate fodder for at least 1 Ritual (since this could still be banished for full cost). What I did not particularly like, though, was this card's flavor, particularly its "high" level and its lack of beast typing.

Archived