Retilliannes are fun I swear [Reptillianne Xochitl]

ÆƵ–

No fanciness cause mobile

Reptillianne Xochitl

Level 3/ DARK

Reptile/ Tuner/ Effect

Once per turn: you can discard 1 Reptile-Type monster; all monsters your opponent controls lose ATK equal to the discarded monster's ATK. If this card is used as Synchro Material for the Synchro Summon of a DARK monster: that monster gains 200 ATK for every monster with 0 ATK on the field.

800 ATK/ 1200 DEF

Let's buff this, since Reptiliannes need it.

First off, may as well make the atk reduction effect make it 0, with the caveat of only being until end of turn. Reptilianne atk values aren't exactly amazing, and the archetype needs it to hit 0 to really work.

Further, it is slow as hell, an issue the archetype already has. They aren't really capable of fielding multiple monsters to pull off a synchro summon easily, so they need something to speed this up.

Finally, there is the issue of the level. Reptilianne decks honestly only have 1 good card. Reptilianne Hydra is an utterly insane boss, potentially yielding amazing card advantage when it lands. Unfortunately, with this being level 3, it can only make Hydra when paired with Gorgon (which isn't particularly good) or both Naga and Viper (which is admittedly quite good, since it involves laddering off of clausolas, who helps set up Hydra). The first method is weak, and the second is far too unreliable. The levels that would best suit a tuner for the archetype are 2 (for Scylla) and 5 (for Naga). 3 can work, but only if it has an effect that really helps them field multiple monsters.

Otherwise, this is just an underwhelming way to lower ATK

Finally, there is the issue of the level. Reptilianne decks honestly only have 1 good card. Reptilianne Hydra is an utterly insane boss, potentially yielding amazing card advantage when it lands. Unfortunately, with this being level 3, it can only make Hydra when paired with Gorgon (which isn't particularly good) or both Naga and Viper (which is admittedly quite good, since it involves laddering off of clausolas, who helps set up Hydra). The first method is weak, and the second is far too unreliable. The levels that would best suit a tuner for the archetype are 2 (for Scylla) and 5 (for Naga). 3 can work, but only if it has an effect that really helps them field multiple monsters.

Otherwise, this is just an underwhelming way to lower ATK

I agree. I don't know Reptilianne that well, but I have a feeling that just lowering ATK a little bit and then getting some extra ATK isn't going to help. I think this card would be significantly better if it did something to combat the current meta, which it really doesn't do. Many things are totally fine with being destroyed by battle these days, so just altering stats in a Deck that really doesn't do even that very well seems disappointing. 

Since Reptiliannes like dealing with monsters at low ATK, you could punish your opponent more by banishing their monsters with that 0 ATK, getting rid of any pesky grave moves they would make. You could, perhaps, use it in a Synchro Summon to allow the Synchro Summoned monster banish any monster it destroyed by battle. This way, any ATK losses would actually matter, because destroying monsters would really get rid of them for good.

Archived