so i herd u liek planning arr-pees {RP PUBLIC PLANNING THREAD}

Alrighty, finally got round to fleshing out my Persona RP that I previously mentioned here a bit more. Like I said before, it'll run similarly to Persona 3, except there'll be some key differences in place that'll stop this RP from blatantly ripping off the game.

- Firstly, there'll be new Boss Shadows for the characters to fight off; with Arcana ranging from Tower all the way to World. Well, technically Temperance and Devil Shadows make an appearance as well, but they'll die before anyone gets the chance to fight them... much like you don't actually get to fight the Magician Shadow in the game.

- Instead of a high school turning into a tower that rises all the way to the sky (Tartarus), the city's local park will transform into a chasm that appears to sink all the way down the core of the Earth, and that will be where the Shadows will be coming from. Of course, like Tartarus, the chasm will only appear during the Dark Hour. However, rather than focusing on exploring the chasm (which would take too long imho), the RP will mainly focus on stopping the Boss Shadows from rising up from the chasm and onto the surface where they can wreak havoc. The Dark Hour will work a little differently than in Persona 3 itself as well. During the Dark Hour, time will seem to freeze for what appears to be an hour, and the only beings that can remain mobile within the Dark Hour are the Persona users (both CASA and Strega) and the Shadows.

- To speed things up, the RP will switch between a random day at school (that isn't the same day as the full moon), right into a full moon operation, and back to a random day at school again and the cycle goes on. Of course, some time for all the characters to interact with one another will be given during the school days and the operations, but the two events will basically eventuate similarly to night and day... y'know, cause it would take waaaaaay too long to do things properly.

- And finally, the Strega will return, and with any luck, there'll definitely be more than 3 of them. In addition, the Strega will actually have day jobs, which they'll be doing while the other Persona users, who will have formed a group known as the CASA, are at school (with the odd one or two members teaching). Strega members will have a chance to run into each other from time to time... y'know so they're not left out of the interaction, or don't end up looking forward to the full moon operation just because they feel that way. Obviously, the Strega will oppose the CASA, but not because they want the Dark Hour to stop, but because the Strega want the general population to see the very beings that are threatening everyone's lives, and the CASA aren't giving them the chance because otherwise the Shadows would level the entire city by the time the Dark Hour ceases.

Now all I need is a name... a name for the title, a name for the school that the CASA will attend, a name for the park that will become that chasm during the Dark Hour, a name for said chasm... oh, and the name for the city in which everything will take place! But first, I'd appreciate some feedback, particularly some concerning the Dark Hour. I've been wondering whether I should keep it as it is in the game or change it to work like it does now. Thoughts?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now all I need is a name... a name for the title, a name for the school that the CASA will attend, a name for the park that will become that chasm during the Dark Hour, a name for said chasm... oh, and the name for the city in which everything will take place! But first, I'd appreciate some feedback, particularly some concerning the Dark Hour. I've been wondering whether I should keep it as it is in the game or change it to work like it does now. Thoughts?

School: Middle Garden Academy (shorted to MidGar)

Park: Hanged Horse Park (points to whoever figures the significance of this one)

Chasm: Niflheim (works with the 'Freezing' nature of the Dark Hour) / Hel

City: City of Gin, the great Gap between civilizations. (also points for guessing this one)

Norse mythos is fun.

Change as much as you'd like, really. I'd suggest making this variant of the Dark Hour make everything appear to be literally frozen. Persona 3 used coffins and blood and that sort of blood and death imagery because the main enemy is the Death Arcana itself; unless you plan on going the same route, I think you can change it up a bit.

^I'll add a block on the happenings for those who haven't played Persona 3 when I get round to making the OOC Thread.

Oh, and thanks Hydra for them names. Although there's already a spell called Nilfheim, unfortunately. The chasm will have to be called Hel then. Plus I still haven't thought of a title yet, although I should be more than capable of thinking up one myself.

Alright, there's just one more thing I wanna sort out before I make the OoC Thread: which canon characters will début in the RP itself. Of course, Igor is a given cause you can't make a Persona RP without him, and I want to bring either Elizabeth or Theodore into the RP to assist Igor, although I haven't decided which of the two I want to introduce.

But right now, I'm contemplating in bringing in another two characters from Persona 3. One of them is Ryoji Mochizuki, and the other is Mitsuru Kirijo. The problem I'm having though is that they're both integral to Persona 3's plot, Ryoji even more so. Mitsuru at least reappears in Persona 4: Arena, so she's at least not as much as a concern, but right now I'm wondering if it's a good idea to even think about adding Ryoji at this point. I'll probably need more than one opinion before I can make up my mind.

Well I heard Ryoji, along with half the cast of P3 died by the end. My opinion is that the dead should stay dead

Ryoji dying would be quite a feat, given what he actually is. Chances are that he still exists somewhere, probably as a part of Nyx, though his humanity probably isn't as we know it.

For the record, 'Hanged Horse Park' is a mutation of 'The Hanged Man's Horse', which is the literal translation of the word Yggdrasil- also known as the Tree of Knowledge, or the World Tree. Gin was a reference to Ginnungagap, also known as the Great Void of the universe before it was filled with creation. (Ironically, despite being depicted as part of the Emperor Arcana, Odin was the original inspiration for the Hanged Man Tarot.)

Castngard doesn't sound familiar, however. What is it? I recognize the "Enclosure" portion that gard represents, but Castn doesn't trip and searches.

^Agreed

I heard Castngard in a book before. The book had a lot of Norse gods in it, so I thought that it was in myths. In the book it was called "Place of Training" but it was probably just a made up place for the book :/

Can't remember what the book was called at the moment. I'll post it when I do though.

Because that's a terrible name for a presumably Japanese city.

And yet City of Gin is somehow better <_<

Actually, since all the Persona games (well, at least the two important ones in 3 and 4) have real world locations to some degree, why don't we have Ginza for the name of the city? We could still throw in a Hanged Horse Park somewhere, as well as a Middle Garden Academy which... well, I'm thinking of calling Man'naka Garden Academy instead. Y'know, to keep it a little more Japanese.

Gin is a legitimate Japanese surname, and thus would be valid as the name of a city. Ginnungagap is not even pretending to be anything aside from Norse.

...Why would you translate half of the name in Japanese, but the other half untranslated? Kinda ruins the Midgard pun. By the way, a Middle Garden is the literal translation of a garden in which one preforms a Tea Ceremony. It gets its name from the Middle Garden of the Emperor, who of course had countless gardens used for multiple purposes.

BUMP.

Kinda half way through making the OoC Thread atm. The full plot, application form, rules and things are complete, but I still have to add a glossary on things that might need to be known (which is a lot I must admit) and I still need to give details on the recurring characters and what they do. In the meantime, is anyone up for offer in terms of co-hosting? I could use the help =/

This IS a sticky you know, there's no need to bump it.

Lack of discussion called for it, I reckon =/

I wouldn't mind co-hosting, I suppose, though I'll have my hands a bit full with my own roleplay.

I've seen it. I would join, but I practically have no experience with Kingdom Hearts; all I know is that it has Disney characters and I heard that if it weren't for that, it would effectively just be Final Fantasy.

Alas, I don't need much help with co-hosting; I just need a little "extra boost" more than anything.

But anyway, I've selected you, Hydra, to become my co-host.

Archived