I'm in ur hed, controlin wut u do

Like the title suggests, How does psychology effect your Yu-Gi-Oh! dueling skills?

Do you use it to your advantage?

Do you not use it?

For example, I look at my opponent's posture, facial expression, and other non verbal clues during my turn. This slows down my playing, and causes me to think more, as well as read what they have. Assessing this is important, because you can read bluffs, or what your opponent has.

I remember one time, while dueling, and this guy was very antsy, and always checked his backrow, in a certain order. I deduced that his more powerful trap cards were the first ones he checked, because he wanted to make sure he had them. Needless to say, my Breaker the Magical Warriors hit his Solemns/Mirror Force. I also, slowed down, making him more antsy, and causing him to play faster, resulting in poorer moves for him.

What does YCM think about the hidden mechanic in YGO?

I entered my first tournament short time ago. I said I never played before, that was true. I never said that I have studied for some time the games mechanics, know most rules and some about specific cards, I have a lot of experience in deck building thanks to videogames and that I've been lurking the TCG section of a Yu Gi Oh! forum for 1 year.

It depends....

Does there deck contain Gorz' date=' and 3 copies of Kuriboh, Honest, Kalut, and Tragodia(w/e)?

[/quote']

That is something you have to consider.

Gorz, Honest, Kalut and Tragoedia are all psychologically powerful. Knowing your opponent can have any of these cards at their disposal makes reading correctly even more important.

It depends....

Does there deck contain Gorz' date=' and 3 copies of Kuriboh, Honest, Kalut, and Tragodia(w/e)?

[/quote']

That is something you have to consider.

Gorz, Honest, Kalut and Tragoedia are all psychologically powerful. Knowing your opponent can have any of these cards at their disposal makes reading correctly even more important.

Whats even worse, is that if you attack a Blackwing, while they have DNA Surgery out, the Opponent will just burst into laughter as he shows you his hand, which contains 3 Honest and 3 Kalut.

Hey, its possible.

Oh, and D-Hero Blade Master(or w/e his name is) has a "Discard for ATK bonus" effect aswell.

I usually pretend to get all antsy and nervous when my opponent's doing something I can counter easily. I check cards that I want destroyed first, so when my opponent thinks he's getting in my head I'm tricking him.

The psychological aspect of Yugiou is amazing, actually. I find that half the fun of playing is getting in the opponent's head, calculating what they think you're thinking, then tricking them into thinking what you want them to think.

Oh, and you can get your opponent to waste a lot of good defenses by attacking a monster that will destroy yours. It's pretty funny, actually, to have some little monster attack the big Synchro, watch the opponent activate Dimensional Prison, then chain Enemy Controller. I love it. <3

Guest PikaPerson01

I mean its fun watching the opponent get rid of an inconsequential card out of paranoia.

It's not paranoia. I've lost plenty of times to Book of Moon...

That is to say, I was prevented from winning due to Book of Moon (IE, they had 2000-ish LP while I was going in for the attack with Stardust), and then they drew into JD or DAD next turn.

i put on a total blank face, i used to have a rather crap poker face, but now im probably rather difficult to read

also i remember i was playing one of the best players in the uk, and i was using glads he was using ls, i had mirror fornce in my hand most of the duel but didnt wanna set it as i never needed it, he fired out a goyo so i changed my laquari to defence and set force, therfore luring him into a false sence of security ;D

also i remember i was playing a guy, first turn he goes summon gadget set 5, and im like wat o_O

so i decide to lure out all his traps instead of playing conservativly, he set 4 bluffs, did the same the next 2 duels so i assumed his deck sucked and just beat his gadgets the funk down

Since l always run LS everywhere, l like to play really, REALLY agressively. (My friend one day asked me, if your opponent only had 100 LP left and gorz on the field, and l still had my full 8000 LP will l set or summon ryko. l pulled honest from my deck and said, "You tell me.")

l never read expressions. Why? Because the match ends when it starts. Of course, my cocky expression has pissed off many.

And l tell them, with all the sarcasm in the world, " I'm sure you'll beat me next time."

Right...

i put on a total blank face' date=' i used to have a rather crap poker face, but now im probably rather difficult to read

[/quote']

You're among one of the easiest people to read... you're always shouting and acting really OTT XD

I love setting random trash cards before the battle phase' date=' because noobs always end up setting their bottomless and things before their battle phase. So my opponent will think that I set some decent card, then they realize they just heavy stormed my facedown [b']geartown[/b],mst,etc.

Umm... what? I know if my opponent sets a face down field spell it's almost always a geartown. If not then it's a bluff turn one when the opponent has no idea what the deck he's playing against is.

And saying you like when your opponent storms against a couple of bad cards is bad... they still used only once card to simplify the gamestate and probably gained +1 over you in the process.

Loudly announce the identity of every card you draw. Tell the truth some of the time' date=' and lie some of the time.

[/quote']

It works. I've won a few tournaments by doing this.

On-topic: I love to be playing nonchalantly even when they bust out JD. It gets in their head. They start thinking "Why is this person acting so calm? Can he stop me?" And I normally can. I've learned to keep my best cards in my hand til my opponent brings out JD and then Threatening Roar to save me for the turn while I commence to utterly annihilate my opponent on the following turn. It's so fun to go with the duel and act like I'm losing. Makes them get cocky.

Archived