Jappio's Sprites, Splices and Fakemon

Jappio

I have finally done it. I have finished the spriting tutorial.

This is it, every video.

I will reiterate, you should watch all parts. The main meat I will admit are in parts 4 and 5, but useful information is in each, all of which can help you become a better spriter.

Scratching Tutorial

Part 1 - Intro

Part 2 - Concept and Planning

Part 3 - MS Paint Basics

Part 4 - Form and Line Art

Part 5 - Coloring and Shading

Part 6 - Finishing Touches and Posting

----------

Hopefully with this out of the way, I can go back to my casual spriting since this wont' be looming over my now.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok guys, I haven't spliced in months, maybe YEARS. It's been forever since I've done this. Please go easy on me. After all it's been awhile and I somehow might have forgotten how to do this. It's very important to me that you know I haven't done this in awhile. For some reason, I believe this makes a difference in how you should view these.

Satirical sarcasm aside, here, have some new splices. Well one of them is a couple months old since it was for a contest, but the rest are new.

SpliceSheet59.png

Ever since I stopped receiving requests for splices, these sheets have been looking so puny. I suppose it isn't a surprise though. Why request something from someone when they won't get to it for quite some time because I don't splice nearly as often as I use to.

Now I must make the tough choice of working on Fakemon, Super Poke World, or one of my many other projects to work on....

Who am I kidding. It's probably going to be something pointless and stupid, because actually finishing projects is for chumps who aren't lazy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thought about your splice request Ezio, and although I was tempted to do it as a sort of 'challenge', it just didn't really interest me. I'm just not a fan of working with combinations like that.

--------

Just some more splices.

SpliceSheet60.png

For some reason I don't really feel like celebrating my 60th anniversary for splice sheets. It's also about to be the 4th year anniversary too. Yet for whatever reason, it just doesn't seem as awesome as previous years have. Maybe it's because for the last year I have done all that much splicing or anything. I have been caring for my other projects much more. Oh well, no big deal, 60 and 4 are just numbers.

Hey Jappio, I've made a scratched sprite using the tutorial you made. ;3

I still haven't put the finishing touches on yet, but here it is so far:

6jd5d0.png

Also, I know I stuffed up to stance/pose but there's nothing I can do about that now. xD

What do you think?

(It's my first completely scratched Fakemon. Time consuming ftw. xD)

=/

Like I want to give some critique and point out some of the obvious problems I see, especially the stuff I thought I made mention in my videos.

Yet at the same time... *sigh* I mean I don't know if I really have to say out loud why I don't want to. I mean I'm sure long time fans of mine will realize why I'm going to hold off on giving you the service known as critique.

Perhaps this picture can illustrate what you've done wrong:

Museum.png

Museum.png

=/

Really? A 2nd person doing this?

Is it specifically only my thread where people like to do this? Is there some kind of inside joke I don't know about?

I suppose some people might blame me for this. I should have maybe been more clear with the first guy. I've made myself clear in the past about it, but I suppose not everyone has seen all 40 some pages I have here.

It's a simple idea that most art forums/sections/threads have. People make their own thread to show off their own work. Then people comment, critique, and talk about other on topic points. However what you two have done is a little different.

The picture I posted was suppose to represent what you guys are doing. It's like your walking into a museum, and rather than looking at the other art and such, you instead hold up your own painting and advertise it. Sounds pretty rude, doesn't it?

That's basically what you're doing when you post your own art in my thread. Even though this place is for my own work and my own sprites, you've posted your own. Even though the discussion in here is suppose to be something on topic, AKA my own sprites, you're trying to make about your stuff.

For future reference, the better way to have gone about all of this would be to have either made your own threads requesting CnC or critique, or by even just PM'ing me.

Spammige, but more on topic for once, the people who said you can "Ghastly-ify" anything were totally right. My favorite from this batch is the Magnezone+Empoleon it just feels diverse and very colorful. It's nice and mixed, the nails/screws in the neck it adds nice effect.

EDIT: Since requests are slow I'll make one

Gowlithe+Houndour, try it with both as a base.

Two more Fakemon updates.

I actually kept the old version of the poison dragon as a base and just altered it. First time I think so far where the old form was kept as a base like that. Hopefully that means things will start to be easier like he was going into more.

3rdgenFakemonSheet5-1.png

Thought about your splice request Ezio, and although I was tempted to do it as a sort of 'challenge', it just didn't really interest me. I'm just not a fan of working with combinations like that.

--------

Just some more splices.

SpliceSheet60.png

For some reason I don't really feel like celebrating my 60th anniversary for splice sheets. It's also about to be the 4th year anniversary too. Yet for whatever reason, it just doesn't seem as awesome as previous years have. Maybe it's because for the last year I have done all that much splicing or anything. I have been caring for my other projects much more. Oh well, no big deal, 60 and 4 are just numbers.

These are all so great, how do you even do them? :D

The last two are really cool.

How do you do the bodies? ;3

These are all so great, how do you even do them? :D

The last two are really cool.

How do you do the bodies? ;3

I've done videos explaining how and videos of just me doing stuff. So it's no secret of how I do these splices.

As for the Ghastly ones, I suppose the method is sort of similar to inferno recolors, but a little more involved. First I separate the head from the rest of the body, then I just color over the body with Ghastly smog. It's pretty simple honestly. Just takes a bit of extra time to get all the dithering in and such.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jappio and others, I tried to make a fakemon but I failed it so I thought maybe Jappio wanna do it.

So my idea was a sword like pokemon, like two handed sword with arms and legs,[final stage so need to be strong and scary].

See if you have time to do my request.

EDIT: his type will be Steel / Fighting

Time to do it? I have like a hundred Fakemon of my own making to work on, which will also need back sprites made. I have at least two or three different game projects I'm working on. I have occasional side projects to work on.

Essentially, I sadly don't have the time.

+Jono, I am of course still working on spriting. Just sometimes other things get in the way or I don't get in the mood to do anything when I do have time. There will be plenty of more sprites in the future, it's just a matter of 'when' at this point =P

I have more content here than I do on my Deviantart.

It use to have the same amount of stuff, but then something happened. All of my earlier stuff was uploaded there. Yet then one day they decided to crack down on splices, not considering them proper art, and deleted a bunch of them, destroying all my image links in my threads elsewhere. So I only occasionally upload my finished scratches, and only when I consider them complete.

I'm Jappio01 on there. I only post stuff though. I have few favorites, and I don't really follow anyone or am part of any groups.

Also even though the community is bigger there, I think I have far less followers there than I do most places. I get a lot less comments in the very least. It makes sense though, in such a large community, there are bound to be so many better spriters that the medium level ones like myself get ignored.

Archived