Jappio's Sprites, Splices and Fakemon

Jappio

I wish I could call these scratches or actually be scratching them. Yet they are suppose to go with some already premade NPC type sprites, so I have to keep style, and with overworlds, unless the person your doing is really weirdly shaped, that's sadly not possible. So a lot of things like the legs and stuff are almost identical looking, even though I didn't use the originals as a base =/

Oh well, still happy with how they are coming out. Only two more party members, and then I might move onto the in battle sprites.

RPGOverworlds.png

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, just a little fooling around as usual. This may or may not see some type of future use. My friend has this little character known as Goo. Just a little blob guy. There is a game he is meant for, something Kirby esque as far gameplay and such (this is why I decided to make him in a Kirby style). I don't know if there will be any actual game though, which is why there are only three actual sprites for the time being.

In the animation, there are two different styles. The first few frames have him moving, using his standing frame in the middle of the movement, yet in the later half of the animation I don't use the standing frame. Wasn't sure which looked better.

Background was ripped from Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland by HyperGumba.

TestWalk.gif

And since this was a minor update, I messed around a little and made a familiar face in a style I'm not use to making him in.

WithRaizou.png

Potentially the style we'll be using for the RPG.

Ryu looks weird when he isn't super short. Not sure on size yet, probably going to wait till I get a few of the other characters made, and then I'll decide.

A few options for fur colors. Going to talk to the character's creator to pick one.

The guy on the left is from Soul Nomad. I'm a fan of NIS style sprites, and this style I think will allow us to show off our character's designs well. A lot of thought has to be put into this type of thing though, so we might abandon the style. We have to keep in mind enemy sprites too, and how we handle them.

So I know it's probably not best to start working on the sprites like this before I get the creator's input, but I was in the mood to sprite something like this, so if we decide to do something else, then so be it.

RPGBattleRyuSoul.png

Well here we go, Team Rocket is pretty much complete.

I apologize for Jame's green hair. Trust me, I spent I think over an hour trying to change it. From the research I was able to dig up, you can't apparently change the palette on Bowser's sprite, so I don't think I will be able to alter it myself. I hear with enough hacking skill one can though, so actual hacks using these sprites will hopefully have people who can bother to change it.

Also for anyone out there who might be kind of stupid: The music, voices, and the zooming in are not in game. It is just video editing.

Changing Peach and Mecha Koopas will come later. Probably Wigglytuff and Wobufette. Might still do a joke switch of Peach for Ash in dress. Not sure if I'll stick with just Ash in dress, or go with his female counterpart from the Erika episode. Female counterpart could make sense canon-wise, Ash in dress would be more recognizable. I guess I can always just do three version too.

• 2 weeks later...

So voting on Ariados evolution didn't yield a perfect result. Overall, it was almost even between realistic and non-realistic. non-realistic had just a few more votes for it, and I personally liked it better. Sadly I now know that not everyone will like the choice I went with, but 51% at least will =P

Missile Pokemon is no longer an ice type. Ice skates weren't enough of a reason to make it an ice type, and I couldn't really come up with a different way to do it. It's all fine though, because I think it turned out better by going a more simplistic approach.

3rdgenFakemonSheet6-1.png

Did some fiddling around with Link again. Rather than add frames, I've decided to take some advice and add blurring instead.

Still not done with it yet. Still need to do the magic portion of it all, and a bit more movement in things like his hat and hair. Just sort of a progress update.

Withblurring.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

3rdGenFakemonSheet7.png

Finally got this sheet done. I've dropped the Qwilfish line, and just went with a platypus line.

Hydra is like way better now, I'm very content.

Narlight is pretty similar to what he was in the old days. One of the few things I did back then that I liked and felt I did a decent enough job on.

It's rare I can even bother to finish my own gifs and sprites. I'm far too busy with my own things to work on a request like that for fake money. So I'm going to have to turn this deal down.

Also if you think it's the wrong spot to post this, why post it? It's one thing to make a mistake on accident, but to purposely do something wrong just shows a lack of care for breaking the rules you think are in place.

Chances are, I'm still going to say "no", but what do you intend to use it for? As it stands, it's just an image to show off my maximum skill at the time. It really serves no purose, and I don't see how it could serve anyone else any purpose.

It just takes an understanding of the basics and an eye for what looks 'good'.

There is no easy way or shortcut for making Darkrai work. You have to usually use some form of scratching to make it work well. He doesn't have a large palette, and his features are things like textures more than parts.

Just like to pop by Jappio and say I was the one that pinned/stickied this thread a few years back and to this date have not regretted it!

I've seen you grow as an spriting artist over the years and it really has been inspiring! I've been a fan of yours since 2007 ever since you posted your first sprite sheet (Number five on the first sheet was always a favourite by the way). Great to see you're still going with this and it's still something you care about! I often like to come back to the first page and just look through your old work, really nice seeing you improve as you take more requests!

You'r'e awesome dude!

Archived