The Pub at the Edge of the Multiverse ~ Fanfiction Public Planning Thread

Hydra of Ages

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I have to stress- make the aliens interesting.

We can probably assume you're not doing hard Sci-Fi, which automatically gives you a lot to work with. Soft Sci-Fi can be roughly equated to Fantasy with some technobabble thrown in and spaceships, you can get away with quite a bit. Granted, there are some sort of common-sense limitations you don't want to pass, (like the afore-mentioned finding an inhabitable planet within 10 years without FTL) but you certainly get a lot of free reign.

In exchange for this lenience however, people expect the story to be, well, interesting. People read soft sci-fi for much the same reasons as they'd read fantasy, so a lot of the same expectations apply. People will come down on you hard for cliche plots, uninteresting characters, and/or unoriginal fantastic elements.

In any case, what I'm saying is that this planet they land on better have some interesting quirks to it, and the aliens especially have to be unique. Especially if they're the only other species you're using.

-

On an unrelated note, I have another idea in mind. Namely, I'm thinking about a fantasy story in which the protagonist is a Siren; of the bird-people, human-eating variety. The idea is that this world in particular is largely populated by humans, who (while being relatively short-lived compared to most races) breed quickly enough to actually colonize kingdoms and empires, unlike the other species (who generally stick closer to their ancestral homes).

This irritates a lot of the nonhumans, who don't like people walking all over their various territories like they own the place. So they start eating the humans, who are over-hunting their usual prey anyway, to try and entice them to leave- of course, this only succeeds driving humanity steadily xenophobic and leads to the tradition of them killing nonhumans whenever possible, giving them the all-inclusive title of "monsters".

There are a couple races that humans get along with, trade and mingle and the like, but they're a minority compared to the ones that share mutual loathing with humanity.

In any case, the idea of the story is to paint the various generic fantasy races in a different light than they're usually shown in. As a random example, my Dwarves do live underground and are great miners (like practically every other depiction of them), but they're also metal-based lifeforms who serve a queen Silver Basilisk (who can create new Dwarves from raw metal through a special magical process), much like an ant-colony. They're true-neutrals who avoid confrontation whenever possible, trade with anyone, and have a weak hive-mind network from which they can extract necessary information in order to become instant experts in certain fields.

Pretty much every race is like that, carrying some elements commonly associated with them, but changing many of the usual conceptions.

By the way, humans aren't strictly owned by kingdoms either. Colonies and large swaths of land are divided up between several 'kings', who indeed hold a hereditary position. However, every human-owned kingdom answers to a larger council over in the homeland, which is a group of twenty-six elected officials and four 'head' officials, who are elected by other members of the council. Some kingdoms have abandoned the council however, mainly the ones modified by magic in some fashion to the point where they're essentially a different race entirely.

Hmm, I think that idea of yours could work. I'm all for ideas that subvert older ideas. If you ever have truly 'bad' characters, make them the elves! No matter what or who you do/use, make the elves evil! I don't like elves...

On a side-note, as I do want to become an actual book-author in the future, I've been slinging around a few ideas inside 'da old noggin for the past few years. Tell me if this idea sounds marketable…

IN THE YEAR 79,804,219… society is supah-advanced!! Alien species finally managed to reach us after about the year 45,901! The population has grown exponentially, forcing us all to actually create a second artificial level of the earth! Most of the cities are covered in street-block-sized cylindrical towers in order to give everybody space (towers hold around 400 families each, several stores, ect.)! There’s a bunch of other random techno crap as well, but we’ll skip it all!

So we come to our main character, Cleo Samson, a gal in her twenties who’s looking for a job. She’s half-human and half-grey (grey = think Roswell-type alien with huge head), which causes her to look like us, except she has super-pale skin and no ears or nose, along with larger eyes. She seems to like purple. She’s known for her ultra-spicy attitude, which has gotten her fired six times since graduating college in semi-quick succession. So what job does she take but as a courier?

She joins the company, aptly-named Cover-Up Delivery. It’s a company that finds and delivers contraband objects at super-high prices, owned by psychics. Yes. And it is owned by a dragon-ish manchild with a sword for a hand. He is also immortal. Have I blown your mind yet? So anyways, she joins the delivery company and gains her own special powers. In this series, kinda like Hunter X Hunter (which I read most of surprisingly after thinking this up two years back), powers are chosen mostly by yourself. All minds are connected through some interesting spiritual network, which won’t allow two beings to have the same power. Psychics arise when somebody’s mind is completely opened through excruciating pain of some sort, like if somebody made you explode and you survive.

Back on track, the main characters (besides Cleo) are as follows:

Marco Jaques: A dragon-ish kind of alien who can grant people immortality and is the richest guy on the planet.

Selene Jaques: Marco’s wife, also immortal. She acts as his secretary and selects the jobs. Her own ability is to accelerate her own body to the point it exceeds reality, effectively teleporting across space.

Jeff: Their pet, a monster with 21 mouths.

Squalo: A teenage-looking immortal with strange ties to Marco. He’s the loose-cannon-type character, the one who seems like a main character. He can summon his ‘Planet Eater’ sword, which eliminates things from reality. He has a chip on his shoulder…

Joe Simmons: A yellow reptiod-alien (lizard-ish, but really bulky) mixed with grey blood, making him look kinda cute and giving him the defect of having no arms. Instead, he uses his own tongue, which solidifies like liquid metal when extended (we don’t know how far it goes!!). He’s the cautious one who strives to be more awesome than before! He’s the only thing holding himself back.

Bob and Bill: Two other guys working at the company. Bob is a small, fluffy, round guy who can make himself impervious to harm. Bill looks kinda like a goblin and can automatically dope his own body to ridiculous proportions. They’re the duo who gets sent out to reclaim whatever they need for the next job.

So the story pretty much is about their jobs, going around wherever, making deliveries. No matter what they ship, be it dangerous viruses, mega-weaponry, or illegal animal species, they get the job done, killing the clientele more often than not. The story will eventually encompass bigger and bigger jobs, like getting hired by the Galactic Police Force to take down a giant, sun-sized planet-eating space station piloted by a cosmic horror (Marco’s done it alone in the past), to stopping a man from annihilating this universe in order to find the ‘perfect’ reality, Heaven. The series will have to run on having over-the-top action, interesting characters(I hope), and being kewl and stuff. Ideas and harsh criticism is welcome.

[spoiler=Large Quote]

Hmm' date=' I think that idea of yours could work. I'm all for ideas that subvert older ideas. If you ever have truly 'bad' characters, make them the elves! No matter what or who you do/use, make the elves evil! I don't like elves...

On a side-note, as I do want to become an actual book-author in the future, I've been slinging around a few ideas inside 'da old noggin for the past few years. Tell me if this idea sounds marketable…

IN THE YEAR 79,804,219… society is supah-advanced!! Alien species finally managed to reach us after about the year 45,901! The population has grown exponentially, forcing us all to actually create a second artificial level of the earth! Most of the cities are covered in street-block-sized cylindrical towers in order to give everybody space (towers hold around 400 families each, several stores, ect.)! There’s a bunch of other random techno crap as well, but we’ll skip it all!

So we come to our main character, Cleo Samson, a gal in her twenties who’s looking for a job. She’s half-human and half-grey (grey = think Roswell-type alien with huge head), which causes her to look like us, except she has super-pale skin and no ears or nose, along with larger eyes. She seems to like purple. She’s known for her ultra-spicy attitude, which has gotten her fired six times since graduating college in semi-quick succession. So what job does she take but as a courier?

She joins the company, aptly-named Cover-Up Delivery. It’s a company that finds and delivers contraband objects at super-high prices, owned by psychics. Yes. And it is owned by a dragon-ish manchild with a sword for a hand. He is also immortal. Have I blown your mind yet? So anyways, she joins the delivery company and gains her own special powers. In this series, kinda like Hunter X Hunter (which I read most of surprisingly after thinking this up two years back), powers are chosen mostly by yourself. All minds are connected through some interesting spiritual network, which won’t allow two beings to have the same power. Psychics arise when somebody’s mind is completely opened through excruciating pain of some sort, like if somebody made you explode and you survive.

Marco Jaques: A dragon-ish kind of alien who can grant people immortality and is the richest guy on the planet.

Selene Jaques: Marco’s wife, also immortal. She acts as his secretary and selects the jobs. Her own ability is to accelerate her own body to the point it exceeds reality, effectively teleporting across space.

Squalo: A teenage-looking immortal with strange ties to Marco. He’s the loose-cannon-type character, the one who seems like a main character. He can summon his ‘Planet Eater’ sword, which eliminates things from reality. He has a chip on his shoulder…

Joe Simmons: A yellow reptiod-alien (lizard-ish, but really bulky) mixed with grey blood, making him look kinda cute and giving him the defect of having no arms. Instead, he uses his own tongue, which solidifies like liquid metal when extended (we don’t know how far it goes!!). He’s the cautious one who strives to be more awesome than before! He’s the only thing holding himself back.

Bob and Bill: Two other guys working at the company. Bob is a small, fluffy, round guy who can make himself impervious to harm. Bill looks kinda like a goblin and can automatically dope his own body to ridiculous proportions. They’re the duo who gets sent out to reclaim whatever they need for the next job.

So the story pretty much is about their jobs, going around wherever, making deliveries. No matter what they ship, be it dangerous viruses, mega-weaponry, or illegal animal species, they get the job done, killing the clientele more often than not. The story will eventually encompass bigger and bigger jobs, like getting hired by the Galactic Police Force to take down a giant, sun-sized planet-eating space station piloted by a cosmic horror (Marco’s done it alone in the past), to stopping a man from annihilating this universe in order to find the ‘perfect’ reality, Heaven. The series will have to run on having over-the-top action, interesting characters(I hope), and being kewl and stuff. Ideas and harsh criticism is welcome.

[/quote']

Actually, the Elves are essentially the same as usual (physically at least), with one major difference; they're wraiths from another dimension.

More specifically, they're amnesiac ghost-like beings of pure mana from another dimension, but can't remember anything about their homeland. They can't reproduce, and new ones just sort of appear out of nowhere at various ages.

One might even call them woobies, as they get the short end of the stick more often then not. They have amazing magical powers, but to use them, they have to deplete their own bodies (which regenerate -very- slowly), effectively killing them if they try to do anything bigger than making a small fireball. They can't touch or physically interact with anything unless they make themselves solid, which also depletes their bodies, though at a slower rate. Pretty much any offensive magic shot at them causes them to explode pretty spectacularly. And the other races dislike them, as they cause native plant life and small animals to die or run away.

In any case, your idea seems like a rather neat concept for a humorous-type sci-fi story. The futuristic-delivery-company-that-saves-the-world type thing gives me a bit of a Futurama vibe, make of that if you will.

The only main problem I could see from your concept, is that there might be a confusion or whiplash if you try to play it too humorous or too dramatic. On one hand, some parts seem too ridiculous to be taken entirely seriously, while others seem to have a bit of a backing to them. There's nothing wrong with this per-say, but it's the type of trap you could walk into if you don't set down the tone of the novel right away. Is it going to be primarily dramatic with humor used to diffuse the tension? A comedy enhanced with dramatic elements? Some other sort of mix?

What I'm trying to get across, is get a grip on what you want the overall 'feel' of the story to be, and try to keep to that whenever possible.

[spoiler=Large Quote]

Hmm' date=' I think that idea of yours could work. I'm all for ideas that subvert older ideas. If you ever have truly 'bad' characters, make them the elves! No matter what or who you do/use, make the elves evil! I don't like elves...

[/quote']

Actually, the Elves are essentially the same as usual (physically at least), with one major difference; they're wraiths from another dimension.

More specifically, they're amnesiac ghost-like beings of pure mana from another dimension, but can't remember anything about their homeland. They can't reproduce, and new ones just sort of appear out of nowhere at various ages.

One might even call them woobies, as they get the short end of the stick more often then not. They have amazing magical powers, but to use them, they have to deplete their own bodies (which regenerate -very- slowly), effectively killing them if they try to do anything bigger than making a small fireball. They can't touch or physically interact with anything unless they make themselves solid, which also depletes their bodies, though at a slower rate. Pretty much any offensive magic shot at them causes them to explode pretty spectacularly. And the other races dislike them, as they cause native plant life and small animals to die or run away.

In any case, your idea seems like a rather neat concept for a humorous-type sci-fi story. The futuristic-delivery-company-that-saves-the-world type thing gives me a bit of a Futurama vibe, make of that if you will.

The only main problem I could see from your concept, is that there might be a confusion or whiplash if you try to play it too humorous or too dramatic. On one hand, some parts seem too ridiculous to be taken entirely seriously, while others seem to have a bit of a backing to them. There's nothing wrong with this per-say, but it's the type of trap you could walk into if you don't set down the tone of the novel right away. Is it going to be primarily dramatic with humor used to diffuse the tension? A comedy enhanced with dramatic elements? Some other sort of mix?

What I'm trying to get across, is get a grip on what you want the overall 'feel' of the story to be, and try to keep to that whenever possible.

Well thank you for crushing all that into a quote, and mostly the story will be focused on targeting that 'adolescent male who loves anime and anime byproducts' demographic, what with all the weird abilities. I think that the story's tone will mainly be semi-violent and full of character-based humor, and it could vary between novels (like one could focus on how their headquarters has a new security system... and it's trying to kill them... and another could be based around how one super-powerful main character has pretty much gone absolutely mad from power, and they need to pull out all the stops in order to kill them, or at least restrain them), leading up to a large, conspiracy-filled finale that (temporarily) kills off the universe. So I'm confusing. Also I hope that I can write more than just stupid YGOGX-brand humor... but what I'm looking for is kinda like Gin Tama.

And I was really hoping nobody thought this was like Futurama. I was so blown away when I figured out 'OH CRAP I ACCIDENTALLY RIPPED THEM OFF!!' And side-note, Joe was originally the main character in my first draft, but Cleo's cooler.

Uh, thanks for the idea.

However, I've recently grown a very large hatred of vrykuls, and will most likely not give them any major role. Ever.

I've decided to stress on the new forming of alliances among the races, and the ties that remain after the Alliance/Horde War.

Considering all the factions and major organizations that could possibly play a role, I've got work to do. D:

A recent discussion with Phantom Roxas spawned the idea of a BLEACH / Inception crossover, with a team of characters trained to enter the dreams of others. Bleach has already shown signs of entering other worlds - Seireitei, Hueco Mundo, the Dangai, Ichigo's inner world, and so on, so it's not that far of a stretch.

Would it be possible?

I'm thinking about making a Harry Potter fanfiction.

Idk if I'm allowed to.

i was thinking of basing it off the POV of (and spoilers if you haven't read Deathly Hallows) Teddy Lupin, Remus and Tonks's son. His parents are dead and he's half werewolf, so I thought that would be interesting. He would have grown up with Bill and Fleur because Harry, his godfather, has three infants of his own to take care of.

And then there would be this head werewolf of the underground werewolf society, you know, the thing Remus was at spying for the order in the sixth book? They would want the half werewolf because he would be like, an interesting specimen or something. And they would try to get into Hogwarts to try and get him... and also they kind of want to kill him because they think he's an abomination of werewolf kind.

I know it isn't exactly thought out yet, but... thoughts?

A recent discussion with Phantom Roxas spawned the idea of a BLEACH / Inception crossover, with a team of characters trained to enter the dreams of others. Bleach has already shown signs of entering other worlds - Seireitei, Hueco Mundo, the Dangai, Ichigo's inner world, and so on, so it's not that far of a stretch.

Would it be possible?

I would love you forever if you could pull it off, but it'd be difficult to establish a scenario.

DarkAngel: A Harry Potter fan fic would be cool, but try basing it off an original character instead (he/she could still be a werewolf, you know)

Also, I have a problem. My fan fic is getting little to no comments, and I just wondered if anyone knew some other forum that I would be able to post it on? Thanks in beforehand for any answer.

DarkAngel: While a Harry Potter fanfic would be amazing if done properly, the premise of your idea may defy canon. Though I must say that nothing on Teddy has really been established and, as far as I know, nothing has been established on general dark activity prior to Deathly Hallows. My suggestion would be original characters in a time set that doesn't succeed Deathly Hallows unless a different location is going to be established as it is weakly implied that, generally, there has been no dark activity at the end of Deathly Hallows.

Anyway, in order to stop myself from potentially repeating myself I think I'll throw an idea in myself. Honestly, it has little development but I usually make stuff up as I go along and it hasn't let me down. It's what I did for a part of my English GCSE coursework and it gained 36/40, that's the making it up as I go along thing. However, I have written an opening paragraph for this idea of mine and I'd like to know if anyone thinks that it's worth building on.

[spoiler=My Secret Idea. It's secret because it hides in a spoiler box...]

The pen is mightier than the sword, according to the saying anyway. In his current predicament Ted probably wouldn’t agree. After all, who would think of taking on a 7 foot tall humanoid boar that’s wielding a battleaxe that could cleave a diamond in two with it’s edge or just obliterate it with the face, with a mere pen? Sheer madness yet there wasn’t really much choice at the time and if you’re a scribe that specialises in hand-written letters it’s doubtful that there’s much more on hand. Except maybe a stapler but that isn’t as wieldy as a pen and isn’t exactly within arms reach after it’s been thrown across the room after a phone call… This might be quite ahead of itself so it should probably begin at would could be thought of as the beginning.

Looking over the idea, I don't really see how it defies canon. As previously stated, nothing's really been set after D.H. officially.

Saying that there's no dark activity at the end of D.H. makes as much sense as saying there was no crime in Chicago after Al Capone was put away.

In any case, a closer look at lycanthropy and werewolf society would make a very interesting topic, I think. I'd say to go ahead with it.

GPC, I'm not sure I understand your idea. Something about a pen, facing down a boar? There's really not much I can say about a paragraph given out of context...

I was merely asking if anyone thought that, using the small paragraph as a reference, if my writing was any good. Context doesn't matter, I don't even know what's going on. I just wondered if anyone thought that it could develope into something half-way decent.

Andwith Harry Potter, it's in a fictional world where nothing is in a grey. Everything in that world s either good or evil. Not mentioning any dark activity in the epilogue is almost essentially saying that nothing happened. Not much goes along without it being commented upon, which is what I was saying. And with the werewolves, it is heavily implied that most of the more horrid and anti-wuzard stuff is directly linked to Fenrir and after Deatly Hallows, I doubt he's alive anywhere but Azkaban.

Well, your grammar's fine. Several things are worded awkwardly and you don't use quite as many commas as I would have, but certainly good enough to build on if you wanted. I haven't a clue if it could develop into something half-way decent, as there's only so much you extrapolate from a random paragraph.

The epilogue was barely a chapter long and didn't go into any specifics of the current state of the world. Not mentioning any dark activity doesn't suggest that none exist, just that none are presently affecting the main characters. Assuming that there is absolutely none at all is total fanon, and doesn't even make much sense, considering there's no reason for all dark activity to have suddenly stopped. Dark magic existed before 'V, while V' was assumed dead, and evidence would point to it existing after he's dead, too.

Fenrir's about 40 years old at most. Wizards have a massive prejudice against Werewolves, as we've seen. I highly doubt that Fenrir is entirely responsible for that, and I find it hard to believe that a group of werewolves with bad views of other wizards wouldn't form after a generation or two of being shunned from traditional society.

In any case, it doesn't really matter. My position is that it doesn't contradict canon in the slightest.

I see what youmean, Elena. But still...it would be interesting to write something in Teddy's point of view. I just need to get everything factually correct when I start so that I can have a factually legitimate story.

I'm working on that right now.

So anyways, I don't know if it will have anything to do with Fenrir. Probably so, since he would most probably still be a werewolf at large, unless Fenrir is dead. Remember, during the battle of Hogwarts, Trelawney was throwing Crystal Balls everywhere? and one hit Fenrir...

Death by Crystal Balls? Dude, that is harsh!

Jokes aside, I think it's up to you wether Fenrir is dead or alive since he would most likely not be too involved in the story (since he would be in Azkaban if alive)

Nevertheless, I would read it, as it seems interesting.

GPC, judging from the small piece of text you gave us, I can see you being able to write good stories and your grammar/spelling is great. You would have to give us more story if we would be to judge the actual story, tho.

Okay. thanks :)

So basically, Teddy Lupin is half werewolf, half human. This gives him some control over his wolf form, but seeing as he is only 10-11 and is about to start his first year at Hogwarts, he has little to no control over it.

He begins Hogwarts, but then he finds out that werewolves know about him.

Some of the werewolves want him on their side so they can fight back against wizards; he would be valuable in their cause because he can control himself if trained.

Other werewolves want him dead. They think he's weird and different, and they hate all who try to fit in amongst wizards and witches.

So.

What will happen?

~~

Keep in mind that I'll be keeping this as factually correct as possible.

And also, in the first chapter, I know that I'll have facts that seem incorrect, but they'll fix out in the middle.

and I know about your previous comment, Aesir, that I should have an original character; but Teddy seems too good to waste, I mean, where else are you going to get a HALF werewolf? And to make another character that's a half werewolf, I mean...that would just seem like a replica of Teddy and JK Rowling's work, so I'd just use Teddy. There isn't already an existing story for him anyways, so yeah... ;3

Good point, but I doubt (that J.K Rowling will ever confirm nor deny this fact) that Teddy is the ONLY half werewolf in Great Brittain. But go along with Teddy, I skimmed through the last chapter/Epilogue of DH and found nothing that implies that his stay at Hogwarts was peaceful. You could also have some of the teachers dislike him for his half-breed status (dare I say Umbridge?)

Meh, I don't think Umbridge will be a staff member. Just saying.

but yes, other teachers would probably dislike his company.

Not to mention other students, seeing as his last name is Lupin and they knew that his father was a werewolf, so it'd be common knowledge that he is half werewolf.

Ahh, this will be fun!

Umbridge got thrown in Azkaban after... erm... Shacklebolt(!) became Minister. Sent there for Mistreatment of Muggle-Borns. Azkaban is a fun place... Anyway just thought I'd mention that, if I recall correctly, werewolves, in general, dislike those that fit in with humans. That was why Remus was having trouble trying to get them on the anti-Voldemort side.

Archived