Awful books.

Clair

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Summer reading assignments.

I already read Ethan Frome, which was "shoot-me now boring."
I have to use quotes from Ethan Frome to help write a 5 paragraph essay about the book Black Boy by Richard Wright.
I just started Black Boy, and I'm not even 15 pages in it. I stopped right at the scene where he kills a cat. I'm highly reluctant to resume reading this book now. In fact, I might even not do the assignment period.

But also, I more or less have a question about summer reading. Why in the hell do they pick out either the most boring, or the most somehow offensive in some manner?
I don't care if a book receives a Pulitzer Prize. If it's boring, I'm sure as hell don't want to read it, and I can say the same for a lot of people.
As for the offensive manner. Though rarely seen, I find scenes where an animal dies by human hands under the circumstances of cruelty to be most offensive (animal lover and proud). And when I see this, I just don't want to read it any more. I'm sure a few dozens of people have experienced this feelings as well.

I would list others, but they're not as important, mainly cause I'm not reading said others.

Awful book? The first 2/3rds of [u]Johnny Tremain[/u]. Why the first 2/3rds? Because the ending was really well put together and good, however it WAS NOT WORTH GETTING THROUGH THE REST OF THE BOOK FOR THE LAST 2-3 CHAPTERS!!!! I despise this book I really do. It was one of the most overly detailed and unnecessary books I've ever read, excluding the ending of course.

Raisen in the Sun. At first I thought "Am I racist if I don't like this", but I kept reading and completely disregaurded the question. The book/play is horrible.

Also, a pretty overrated play is Romeo and Juliet. It's not really that good...I mean, think about it

"Oh no, my lover is dead. So I'll die"
"Oh no, my lover is dead. So I'll die"

They both use the same logic I mean...I find it funny more than anything else.

i didn't like Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli, it left a bad taste in my mouth... it was well written for a kids book, but i guess the problem is that it just wasn't the traditional main character learns from his mistakes as the story progresses. he was an a****** through the entire book until the very end, and by then it was to late. i read the catcher in the rye in seventh grade, Holden was a spoiled brat with mommy issues, and he just need to grow up and stop being such a pretentious little prick. I never finished The Alchemist because it dragged the story out to long, it was like a three hour movie, when you only needed an hour and a half to tell the story.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Mako109' timestamp='1290016806' post='4791289']
I, personally, hated A Tale of Two Cities. But thats just me...
[/quote]

I didn't understand anything. I got to page 50-60ish, then I was just so lost I returned it >.<

I hated the Republic Commando series.

Otherwise, the other series I disliked was Inkheart.
For me, the first book was basicly boring, predictable, boring, and stupid. It's not really even a children's book, there's a curse every 2 pages. I somehow managed to finish it without being killing by boredom. I hated the ending, especially since Fenoglio (Sp? It's been like 3 years) just vanished. And then the second book, Inkspell, was even worse. Longer, more boring, and idiotic villains. Seriously, shoot Mo, leave him to die, instead of being smart and shooting him in the head, they give him the small chance of survival.

Then comes Fenoglio's nice doggy!ness about not writing them back home because he was being a total whiny nice doggy! and instead decided to write poetry and bring back a prince from the dead, blah blah blah.

The third was more interesting for me. I did not like Darius or any of those other minor characters that were basicly page-fillers. Loved how Basta was revived. And the ending was good, except I hated how Fenoglio was like, "OH YEAH I REMEMBER I DOODLED UP THIS HANDSOME PRINCE GUY TO MARRY SOMEONE NAMED MEG!" and then Meg is like, "OKAY I'LL MARRY HIM INSTEAD OF THE ONE GUY THAT TRULY LOVES ME FA LA LA!"

Pretty much it. I also hated Jekil and Hyde but that was just me not understanding old novels.

• 2 weeks later...

[center][center][font=courier new,courier,monospace]The Twilight series. (Then again, I don't like vampires, romanticised or not.)[/font][/center][/center]
[center][center] [/center][/center]
[center][center][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Also, [/font][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Uncle Tom's Cabin.[/font][/center][/center]

I havent read any truly awful books. Dissapointing ones? Hell yes.
The most dissapointing book I ever read.....hmmm, whats its name.....damn. The last book of Edge Chronicles. Too confusing, and not very climatic.
Eragon (first book) its just..........odd. Eragon is an amazing series but the first book was.....lacking....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

...really? I like the City of Ember and its immediate sequel. However, the third book... eugh. It just took such an unnecessary turn for the series that I dropped it and haven't finished it since.

As for books that have disappointed me, the [i]Daniel X[/i][i] [/i]series. My gawd, does that man not know how to avoid a Stu? I'm usually a good judge of a book, but I dropped this one in 50 pages into the first one, it was that bad.

[b]EDIT:[/b] As to all those kids who are moaning and whining about classic literature, try reading some well-received books that aren't that old? I read "Reading in the Dark" (an Irish "auto"biography set in the 1940-70s) for my summer reading assignment in English Lit AP, and it is firmly in my top 15 of best books. It was written in 1996, btw. You just need to find something at least somewhat recent that you can relate to.

[b]EDIT EDIT:[/b] And to show that opinion makes everything, I thoroughly hated "The Giver." It dragged on way too long and the dialogue and narration was too bland, even when it tried not to be.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived