Awful books.

Clair

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Jacoby746' timestamp='1292054835' post='4843786']
The worst book I've read was Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde. It wasn't that it was bad, but I just couldn't understand it,
[/quote]
Most old novels tend to be written in Ancient Egyptian. I read several stuff now complimented upon a lot, and they were as hard as hell to decode.

[quote name='Dark' timestamp='1292025289' post='4842593']
Forced reading isn't that bad; a few things I was forced to read were quite good[/quote]

Yeah. Gotaifumanzoku, a biography I was forced to read based on a man who was born without arms or legs, was seriously funny. Ryoma Ga Yuku (based on Sakamoto Ryoma, a samurai of the late Edo period who ended the samurais' rule) was also awesome.

A lot of books I read are slow, but those are some of my favorites. One book, The Floods: Prime Suspect, was reasonably slow to get to the main point, which was who the hell killed Professor Randolf Opengraves. At about page 50, I stopped. I do that a lot. Then I picked it up again, continued to read, and finished.
As I said, it started slow, but it got better.
Same goes for a lot of books I've read. Except The Red Pyramid. That just kicked slowness down to the deepest level of the Duat.

[quote name='Obsidan' timestamp='1292743861' post='4863898']
A lot of books I read are slow, but those are some of my favorites. One book, The Floods: Prime Suspect, was reasonably slow to get to the main point, which was who the hell killed Professor Randolf Opengraves. At about page 50, I stopped. I do that a lot. Then I picked it up again, continued to read, and finished.
As I said, it started slow, but it got better.
Same goes for a lot of books I've read. Except The Red Pyramid. That just kicked slowness down to the deepest level of the Duat.
[/quote]

the first book in a series is always pretty slow but the other books get faster i myself dont think it was slow

I reckon movies based off books are worse.
Say it's....... Twilight.
You read the book, and you like them. Then you have a image of what you think the characters look like. You enjoy imagining them in your head.
Then they make a movie from that book. It spoils what you thought the characters look like. (not to mention Twilight in itself is bad)

[quote]
the worst books ever are ones based off of kids movies. Yes, they, do that. [/quote]
When did they do that?

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Obsidan' timestamp='1292808048' post='4866124']
I reckon movies based off books are worse.
Say it's....... Twilight.
You read the book, and you like them. Then you have a image of what you think the characters look like. You enjoy imagining them in your head.
Then they make a movie from that book. It spoils what you thought the characters look like. (not to mention Twilight in itself is bad)

When did they do that?
[/quote]Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. When I first saw that, my first reaction was *headdesk**headdesk**headdesk**headdesk**headdesk*.

But I liked [i]The Giver.[/i] [i]Eldest[/i] (Chris Paolini) and the Twilight series are the worst books I can think of ibidem (that isn't funny like [i]The Eye of Argon[/i]). [i]The Lost World[/i] was also pretty awful, especially seeing how good that guy's other books (read: Sherlock Holmes) are.

Okay... This is like my ranting space. LoL
I'm an English Major... so seeing this just made me so damn happy. :D

Books I absolutely hated... There's a list really. One of them that really bored me to death, and I had to read it for one of my assignments in college was [u][b]My Name is Asher Lev[/b][/u]. I didn't like the sense of Motifs in that book, and I'm pretty sure my English professor was high when he made me read that because in my analysis essay on the books diction, deeper meaning, and translation to current society, I wrote about how the book represents oppression of self expression and got a B. I guess I didn't understand the book, and that's why I did not like it, but it was just awful. To top it all off, the book dragged on. It wouldn't stop when it needed to, and there was a lot of unnecessary dialect.

[quote name='Petrosian' timestamp='1291791751' post='4837512']
ITT: kids rave about how much they hate decent books which they were forced to read because they only ever read books they were forced to read.
[/quote]
Reading is like sex. If you're forced to do it when you're a kid, you won't enjoy it when you're older.

... I bet I'll regret saying that quote sometime later on. But yeah, no one ever enjoys being forced to do something. Let kids find a book they want to read, rather then forcing one on them.

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1295148151' post='4937337']
Reading is like sex. If you're forced to do it when you're a kid, you won't enjoy it when you're older.

[/quote]
I most likley will get negged for this but why would a little kid have sex if they want to?
their genetailia is not fully developed!
Aside from nitpicking, I thought that the catcher in the rye is good unlike some other peoples. I think that the sense of personality and Holden being an annoying prick actually adds to the story and such. Plus, Holden acts pr*ckish because he lost his brothers, his friends and can't go back home.

After reading some of the comments, (four pages D:) I've come to the conclusion that you people aren't staying on topic. The topic is awful/bad books but you can't just say a book is bad because it bores you. That would be a book you didn't enjoy, not a book that is awful DIFFERENCE. Which a lot of you do not understand, and then I wonder because half the books I read on this thread or classics from the 60's or lower so I question how you get mixed up with "a book you don't enjoy" and "an awful book". Either you're adults who can't tell the difference, or kids/teens who were forced to read those books and didn't like them because your a kid/teen.

I mean I go onto Wikipedia (yes no lifer here) and look up the book that is posted it has boat loads of awards (or no reception section at all)! Are you just trying your best to be an outsider or what?

I haven't read any "awful books" but I can say that Nightlife and Starcarrier are a bore to me. I guess I need plot and characters at the beginning instead of plot, characters, action, then dialogue, more plot and characters...

Okay seriously am I the only person who likes those books we read in class? I haven't had a bad one yet. You need to pick out books that are poorly written, whose characters you despise, and whose plots stupefy you (for me, [i]Eldest[/i], the Twilight saga, and [i]The Lost World[/i]). And when I say "stupefy you," I don't mean "are above your level of understanding." I mean "are so bad you don't understand how someone could possibly have come up with it."

[quote name='Supreme Gamesmaster' timestamp='1295283362' post='4940801']
Okay seriously am I the only person who likes those books we read in class? I haven't had a bad one yet. You need to pick out books that are poorly written, whose characters you despise, and whose plots stupefy you (for me, [i]Eldest[/i], the Twilight saga, and [i]The Lost World[/i]). And when I say "stupefy you," I don't mean "are above your level of understanding." I mean "are so bad you don't understand how someone could possibly have come up with it."
[/quote]

MY NAME IS ASHER LEV....
I'm telling you... that books just... wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Frickin' [u]The Island[/u] by Gary Paulsen

This is the only Paulsen book that has no action at all. You can call this the book that has no plot. A teen boy finds an island and goes there to find himself and his favorite thing to do is act and "dance" like a loon (the bird.)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived