Awful books.

Clair

[center]So, I know you've read some good books. However, I'll bet that nearly everyone here has read a [b]bad book[/b], whether it be for school or recreation.

My question is, which books have disappointed you, YCM?

As for me, I'd have to say [u]The Giver[/u].

Bear in mind that this is all opinion.
oh, and inb4twilight. ;D[/center]

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I liked The Giver. =(

... I disliked... ugh, I can't remember the title but it's famous. The protagonist is named Holden Caufield or something like that. Guy acts like a pretentious dick the whole time. "Oh, but that was the author's point! He was supposed to act like a pretentious dick!" Congrats, you succeeded in making your protagonist a dick. That doesn't mean I'm supposed to like it just because that was the goal of the author.

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1289966503' post='4790595']
... I disliked... ugh, I can't remember the title but it's famous. The protagonist is named Holden Caufield or something like that. Guy acts like a pretentious dick the whole time. "Oh, but that was the author's point! He was supposed to act like a pretentious dick!" Congrats, you succeeded in making your protagonist a dick. That doesn't mean I'm supposed to like it just because that was the goal of the author.
[/quote]

Like Izanagi said, Catcher in the Rye. They even made that same point in Family Guy of all things.

For me, it's "Like Water for Chocolate". Magic realism and symbolism can only take you so far, and that novel really knew how to push it. Granted, I don't really bother with books for English class, but there was hardly anything in it I liked.

[quote name='ADHD-Guitar' timestamp='1289976010' post='4790757']
The Giver was utter garbage, I agree. I was also disappointed with all of the later Harry Potter books, where the titular character turns into a British Shinji Ikari.
[/quote]
Shinji was a well-written interesting character whose personality flaws were justified by more than "HE'S AN ANGSTY TEEN".

Harry's just an idiot who randomly decided that sports and relationships were more important than "FANTASY!HITLER IS TRYING TO KILL EVERYONE".

PopCo, from Scarlett Thomas. I have to admit, Troposphere was pretty imaginative, had some interesting ideas, though it was pretty scientific, it was still a solid fantasy story, with tension and nice characters. PopCo... was utter garbage. It wasn't written badly or anything, it was just godsh*t [i]boring![/i] 500 pages with nothing but...no, NOTHING on it.

Another really bad book? Well, Probably nobody knows it outside of Germany, but "Effi Briest" was amazingly boring as well... but it was for the school, so you could forgive that. The sad thing about PopCo: I bought it, because I thought it was good... I wasted 10€ on that thing... so gruesome :/

[quote name='!' timestamp='1290012153' post='4791180']
It's too long. They spend too much time in class. There are too many hyphens and...
[/quote]

Oh. xD

I'll agree that it was a tad long, but I never got bored with it. My least favorite book was Deathly Hallows...

JK Rowling rushed things and decided to kill off everybody. ><

[quote name='Mako109' timestamp='1290016806' post='4791289']
I, personally, hated A Tale of Two Cities. But thats just me...
[/quote]

The first 100 pages were hell to read.

Then it gets more interesting, IMO. ;D

[quote name='Crab Helmet' timestamp='1290010088' post='4791133']
Shinji was a well-written interesting character whose personality flaws were justified by more than "HE'S AN ANGSTY TEEN".

Harry's just an idiot who randomly decided that sports and relationships were more important than "FANTASY!HITLER IS TRYING TO KILL EVERYONE".
[/quote]
You're right, I was actually giving Harry too much credit comparing him to Shinji.

[quote name='Revolver Amethyst' timestamp='1290033330' post='4791944']
I hated The Kite Runner.
[/quote]
Thanks for reminding about that. The protagonist crossed the Moral Event Horizon for me when he decided that the best thing to do in response to feeling bad he didn't help his friend was to frame his friend for robbery so that his family would be fired and evicted; after that, I spent the rest of the book wishing he would just go ahead and die. And then there was the insanely contrived last section, which relied on a hundred ridiculous coincidences and which had all the subtlety of a blunt axe.

Archived