Awful books.

Clair

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't like [u]The Giver[/u] because its ideas were too abstract for me to comprehend. Also, I found the whole premise silly, and the book lacked action scenes, something I look for in a good book.

Eh, that's just my opinion. Maybe I would appreciate it more if I read it again.

[quote name='Skizo' timestamp='1290207396' post='4796129']
I completely agree about The Horse and His Boy. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my favourite of the series though.
[/quote]

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was the best book featuring the classic characters. The Silver Chair was amazing because of how it portrayed an "underworld" ruled over by an evil dictator (i.e. obvious metaphor for Hell in a series that as a whole is an obvious metaphor of the Bible). And that scene where the evil witch-queen-dictator-satan-b**** etc. almost turns them into slaves was really, really well written. It actually made me tired reading it, and it had such good descriptions. Great illustrations too.

[quote name='Mystery Guest' timestamp='1290287585' post='4798484']
I'm going to say Brave New World for the following reasons:
• There was little plot and so many ideas. Even with so many ideas, I still didn't feel as though I didn't get enough info about the world. Personally, I think it should have either been a story with a plot living in a futuristic "utopian" world, or just a pure book of ideas with no storyline (kind of like an informative text of a fake/futuristic world). Trying to create both just didn't appeal to me.
• Bernard Marx acted purely based on whether or not he was accepted and played both sides of the field.
• The ending was lame to me to be completely honest.
[/quote]

That was one of my favourite books D=

OT: None spring to mind, apart from <everything I've read in an English classroom> because I dislike the amount they analyse the book, feels like it ruins it for me.

[quote name='Fading Black' timestamp='1290287723' post='4798487']
The fact that they raised them to believe that they were NOT real is what gets me.
[/quote]
Well, what possible reason would the evil utopian cult have to teach them elephants used to exist (or, exist just outside the walls)? If elephants were all extinct now, it would make humans start to question how humble and noble the powers that be that truly are. If elephants exist somewhere in the world, people would want to see them, and would yearn to see more and more, until there was no one or nothing left in the gated community.

[quote name='Number XV: Jaxcob' timestamp='1290378722' post='4801569']
the ENTIRE twilight series!!!!
[/quote]

Obligatory, no?

Stephanie Meyer didn't sell several truckloads of her books by accident. Obviously they have some appeal... I think this community is just filled with people who believe that her conception of a vampire and his love life is cheesy and stupid, given all the Twilight hate threads. xD

Don't get me wrong, I thought Breaking Dawn was absolutely horrible. >>

[quote name='Clair' timestamp='1290468329' post='4803921']
Obligatory, no?

Stephanie Meyer didn't sell several truckloads of her books by accident. Obviously they have some appeal... I think this community is just filled with people who believe that her conception of a vampire and his love life is cheesy and stupid, given all the Twilight hate threads. xD
[/quote]
Selling a lot and being popular does not equate to being a good book. She simply panders to the lowest common denominator.

I figured Twilight series would rear its head here. Anyway, I cannot honestly say Twilight series because I have never read any of them nor do I have plans to read them, and I have heard that they are well written, which I am sure they are [b]for their intended audience.[/b] That's why people hate Twilight series so much, because it is the perfect example of literature intended for specific people. Now, I do hate what the Twilight series represents, because I am a classic horror fan (if you didn't notice my sig) and I view sparkly misunderstood vampires who seem to make every girl in a 50 foot radius swoon as a travesty to my personal view of the paranormal. I can understand a bit of misunderstanding, I even think that makes for the beginning of a clever horror story, but the whole "acting human" thing is a bit much. That's my opinion, you don't have to like it.

Anyway, that aside, I can't really think of any books off the top of my head that I absolutely disliked, aside from [u]O Pioneers![/u] by Willa Cather. I just never really liked the style, and it just wasn't a book I enjoyed. If you like it that's fine, if not that's fine too.

I've read all the [i]Twilight[/i] books (mostly because my at the time girlfriend asked me to) and they're actually not bad reads, though I'm not a fan of how they portray vampires. Also, Bella Swan is possibly one of the stupidest characters to ever be concocted. She's quite the idiot.

My friend hates Twilight because Stephen King said Stephanie Meyer is a terrible author. He's never read them...I find this funny.

[quote name='Fading Black' timestamp='1290639835' post='4807975']
What? Johnny Tremain was very good. I read it in 3rd Grade, and again in 10th grade (For a project). At least, IMO.
[/quote]

Eh, not my type of book I guess...

I am quite shocked that The Bible has not yet been mentioned, although Yankee did jokingly say inb4bible or something to that effect.

[quote name='GenzoTheHarpist' timestamp='1290143381' post='4794961']
I don't see why people dislike the giver. It seemed like a fine book to me when I read it in elementary school.
[/quote]

I agree with both you and PikaPerson, The Giver wasn't an amazing book, but I see no reason why it should even be mentioned in such a thread. I loved the idea, and it was actually one of the better required-reading books I've read.

On that note, I also agree with Pika in the sense that Catcher in the Rye was a horrible book. I never really understood why the storyline was so jumpy, and it's really just a book about him flipping everyone off and calling them phonies. Yeah, best insult ever.

[quote name='Umbra' timestamp='1290148474' post='4795049']
I really hated Holes. Might be because I read it during 10th grade, but still.

What little I read of The Kite Runner before I decided I actually liked my brain was disappointing.
[/quote]

I hated Holes as well, despite many opinions to the contrary. It seemed really long-winded and boring, and personally, the storyline progression in that book was slow as hell.

[quote name='Fading Black' timestamp='1289962310' post='4790458']
The Giver was crap, IMO.
[/quote]
I thought that The Giver wa sa great book, I mean, the ending was a bit confusing but besides that I thought it was one of the best books I've read in my short life (entirely opinion)

I think that:
-Little Woman 9complete and unabrigded)
-The Ghost Sitter
-Legend of the Lost Legend
were really bad. I didn't like them at all, I prefer books that suck you in in the beginning and then spit you back out suddenly when you're done.
But this is all opinion.

I found Harry Potter somewhat mediocre, I stopped reading at the Goblet of Fire. I do agree that Azkaban is the best out of those I have read, but it wasn't amazing. JK does have a talent for descriptive passages, and while her books suffer from a lack of being compulsive they are indeed decent books, the same can't be said for many teen books these days. Bootleg by Alex Shearer was well written, I found it similar to 1984, almost like a kids version. Anthony Horowitz was someone I adored as a child, but re-reading his books now I can see glaring flaws. He is a damn sight better than most other children's authors, but that's kind of like being YCM's best poet.

[i]but that's kind of like being YCM's best poet.[/i]

Or the tallest man on the short bu- *shot*

I understand why people may not find Harry Potter that appealing, but it is by no means a bad series.

On that note, Series of Unfortunate Events is a series I hold very dear to my heart. =)

Archived