Awful books.

Clair

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I don't fully agree with Wahrheit and all of his arguments, one must realized that any critically acclaimed book [b]is[/b] good, much like a five-star rated hotel or a ten-rated video game. They get good ratings and critics love them because they are good. So if you hold the opposite opinion, not only are you in the insignificant minority in terms of your opinion of the book, but you could also be considered as having an "incorrect opinion", which is a contradiction within itself, but still makes sense in context.

As such, saying The Great Gatsby is terrible either shows your failure to appreciate good, classical literature, your lack of understanding for what the book is about (or anything about the book for that matter), or your "bad" taste in literature according to the vast majority of critics.

So when you say that your opinion is that classical books are terrible or are boring, just note that you are in the minority, and thus you cannot claim your opinion to be any more significant than the opposite opinion. I doubt that you have more of a brain then hundreds of literary critics have, and because I read many classical books myself, I think I can attest to the fact that your opinion can [b]and will[/b] be considered incorrect.

[quote name='Darkplant' timestamp='1298717489' post='5035772']
Hating a singular book as a personal opinion and hating literature are different.
[/quote]

And I never claimed that anyone in this thread hated literature.

But if you hate a singular book that is widely accepted to be a masterpiece or a classical work of art, that shows how insignificant your opinion is, and to a point, how bad your taste in literature is.

That is like saying, in the realm of music, you hate Eminem (assuming you actually listen to other rap artists). Eminem is currently the best modern rapper according to the majority of people who listen to rap music and almost all of the critics that judge Eminem. If you don't like Eminem and prefer Lil Wayne, that shows how bad your taste in rap music is. You might like Lil Wayne, but according to 90% of rap-listeners, you're retarded.

[quote name='Dark' timestamp='1298739496' post='5036225']
And I never claimed that anyone in this thread hated literature.But if you hate a singular book that is widely accepted to be a masterpiece or a classical work of art, that shows how insignificant your opinion is, and to a point, how bad your taste in literature is.That is like saying, in the realm of music, you hate Eminem (assuming you actually listen to other rap artists). Eminem is currently the best modern rapper according to the majority of people who listen to rap music and almost all of the critics that judge Eminem. If you don't like Eminem and prefer Lil Wayne, that shows how bad your taste in rap music is. You might like Lil Wayne, but according to 90% of rap-listeners, you're retarded.
[/quote]

99% of US politicians thought Kennedy's method for handling the Cuban Missile Crisis was stupid, and suggested he just invade Cuba/bomb the missiles. Later we found out they had short range nukes operational in Cuba (FROGS). Congress, the Joint Chiefs, all the military advisers, even the vice-president were opposed to Kennedy, and told him to attack. According to the majority, he was retarded.

And then his retarded opinion saved the world from nuclear war =/

[quote name='Revolver Amethyst' timestamp='1298761730' post='5036859']
99% of US politicians thought Kennedy's method for handling the Cuban Missile Crisis was stupid, and suggested he just invade Cuba/bomb the missiles. Later we found out they had short range nukes operational in Cuba (FROGS). Congress, the Joint Chiefs, all the military advisers, even the vice-president were opposed to Kennedy, and told him to attack. According to the majority, he was retarded.

And then his retarded opinion saved the world from nuclear war =/
[/quote]

The majority was incorrect in this situation because all the facts had not been revealed. In a book, however, no "facts" are disclosed from the public, and thus the majority is often correct.

[quote name='Dark' timestamp='1298739496' post='5036225']
And I never claimed that anyone in this thread hated literature.

But if you hate a singular book that is widely accepted to be a masterpiece or a classical work of art, that shows how insignificant your opinion is, and to a point, how bad your taste in literature is.

That is like saying, in the realm of music, you hate Eminem (assuming you actually listen to other rap artists). Eminem is currently the best modern rapper according to the majority of people who listen to rap music and almost all of the critics that judge Eminem. If you don't like Eminem and prefer Lil Wayne, that shows how bad your taste in rap music is. You might like Lil Wayne, but according to 90% of rap-listeners, you're retarded.
[/quote]
Appeal to the Popuation is a fallacy.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='General Blaze' timestamp='1301616230' post='5103429']
hated where the red fern grows (and most other books that feature dogs!) because the dogs died... i just can't stand that... whenever i hear something about a dog dying, I pretty much always cry!
[/quote]
Old yeller, sounder, etc. make me sad as well. They're not bad books though.

:(

• 2 weeks later...
I've disliked these books

Maximum Ride Series....

Oh, sure, it was great until the end, he couldn't think of something more elaborate to do with them to other just go off and save the word from global warming and the environment. Like always, its seems to be all books I read, they wait until the end to throw something stupid in your way...

There was this one book in school, can't remember the name, but in the end, they killed off the physically mental guy for some reason. He was a big goofball, but couldn't control his size, so he ended up killing his friend by accident and got himself killed to.

There were bout the only two books I disliked only b/c of the ending....

Anyone else stumble across a book you like but the ending was horrible?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm gonna defy the government by having lots of unprotected pre-martial sex with someone who's like fifteen years younger than me even though it doesn't really do anything except express how selfish and base I really am. Ha, take that post-war British dystopia!

But seriously, I really don't understand what the author was getting at. He writes this intricately philosophical book about the dangers of power and how easily idealism can be corrupted while hinting that there was once and might someday be a better world yet completely abandons any notion of ever expanding on that and basically admits that humanity is destined to screw itself over in repeated cycles of self-destruction. I liked the explanation given in 'The Book Within the Book' even though everyone in my class thought it was really boring. Hooray for being [s]weird[/s] special!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived