Awful books.

Clair

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Izanagi' timestamp='1289966901' post='4790602']
The book you are thinking of is the one I just finished was Catcher in the Rye. Simply just horrible the character wasn't really doing anything except complain and b**** about everything.
[/quote]

That's because you don't understand how to read properly. Just try rereading it when you properly can.

Anyways, there was this book about this kid and these group of insects in a giant apple. I was much younger when we read it, and it was probably designed in a way that is supposed to appeal to children, but I still hated it.

I'm probably going to get a large amount of hate for this, but I absolutely abhor [u]A Tree Grows in Brooklynn[/u]. That book was, personally, so stupid, and really had no point. I was young when I read it, granted, but even if I re-read it I'd probably form a similar opinion. The first few chapters were okay, but it went downhill- and quick.

I have two books that I don't like.
First, Moonshadow:Eye of the Beast.
True, I never finished it, but that's because I hate it. SO boring. Nothing happens. All Moonshadow does i eavesdrop a conversation. Yeah, the first chapter, THAT was pretty cool, but when you realise nothing is really going to happen, it gets dull.

Another bad story is Blood Money, by Chris Ryan.
God, I hated that book.
I like the way he writes, so that's not the problem, but the TOPIC just....ughhh......
It was all about kidney transplants, and kidnapping innocent people JUST to supply kidneys for rich, greedy people who generally don't deserve it. As soon as you mention "kidney transplant" you lose me.
Yeah, and I never finished that either.

[quote name='Paranoia Infinite' timestamp='1291433645' post='4827418']
That's because you don't understand how to read properly. Just try rereading it when you properly can.

Anyways, there was this book about this kid and these group of insects in a giant apple. I was much younger when we read it, and it was probably designed in a way that is supposed to appeal to children, but I still hated it.
[/quote]

James and the giant peach?

[quote name='Petrosian' timestamp='1291791751' post='4837512']
ITT: kids rave about how much they hate decent books which they were forced to read because they only ever read books they were forced to read.
[/quote]

This is far too true. Most of the people I know tell me openly that they hate to read. I enjoy reading because there is nothing quite as thought-provoking as a well-written story.

[quote name='Petrosian' timestamp='1291791751' post='4837512']
ITT: kids rave about how much they hate decent books which they were forced to read because they only ever read books they were forced to read.
[/quote]
I've read plenty of books on my own =/ In fact, I love reading, and I'm not even complaining about the Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby, etc. Books I was forced to read.

[quote name='Fading Black' timestamp='1291808823' post='4837648']
I've read plenty of books on my own =/ In fact, I love reading, and I'm not even complaining about the Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby, etc. Books I was forced to read.
[/quote]
I didn't like Catcher in the Rye, but the Great Gatsby was the [i]best[/i] book I was forced to read.

Is it too late for me to say twilight?

[quote name="OmegaWave" timestamp='1291431258' post='4827352']
[img]http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/6/30/128908462740759252.jpg[/img]

Says it all. Horray for the required Twilight hate post!
[/quote]
OH MY GOD! My 10th grade lit teacher was Snape? Good thing I slept through most of that class.

Forced reading isn't that bad; a few things I was forced to read were quite good: [i]The Giver, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Crucible, [/i]et cetera. Just because it's forced and most likely mandated by your district doesn't give you any reason to lash out against it.

And it's a blatant assumption (and incorrect, for that matter) to say that we have only ever read books we were forced to read. For the majority of YCM, this sadly probably holds true, but let's not lump the mediocre people with the genuinely shitty people. Thank you very much.

Archived