Awful books.

Clair

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So it was the middle of English class, and I needed a book for independent reading. I slyly picked a book from the bookshelf nearby. It was called Nick of Time by Ted Bell (main character's name = nick... it's a pun get it). The back description of the book read as follows:
"The setting is England, 1939, on the eve of war. Nick and his sister, Kate, begin gathering vital information about the imminent Nazi invasion. But the Nazis become the least of Nick's problems after he discovers a time machine hidden in a cove. Unfortunately, the evil pirate Captain Billy Blood, who travels through time capturing little children and holding them for ransom, will stop at nothing to possess the priceless machine. Nick must fight the ruthless pirate on land and sea in two different centuries in a desperate attempt to save his home and his family from being utterly destroyed."

I've read Gatsby and Chocolate War and this is miles worse.

[quote name='Wahrheit' timestamp='1298358264' post='5025775']
This whole thread depresses me. You guys need to learn some literary appreciation.
[/quote]
Kid, you need to learn to watch your mouth.

There's a difference between literary appreciation and disliking certain books.

[quote name='Zetsubou Black' timestamp='1298373676' post='5025999']
Kid, you need to learn to watch your mouth.

There's a difference between literary appreciation and disliking certain books.
[/quote]
I understand that, but the reasons given for "disliking" certain books are atrocious. I don't like everything I read but I can at least appreciate the meaning and the power of the author's words.

[quote name='Zetsubou Black' timestamp='1298407473' post='5027005']
Hence why I said Gatsby was not terrible.
[/quote]
It's not about just Gatsby... you guys are complaining about having to read these books and you don't understand WHY your teachers or other people want you to read them... they all carry very strong messages and things to learn from and appreciate.

[quote name='Zetsubou Black' timestamp='1298409340' post='5027070']
Because, IMO, things like Romeo and Juliet were bad.

Just because an author had good intent does not mean the book is good.
[/quote]
The book [b]is[/b] good. There's a difference between a bad book and a book you don't like. If you can't appreciate the value of literature then you can't appreciate the value of life.

[quote name='The Holly and the Ivy' timestamp='1298412406' post='5027262']
Goodnight Mr. Tom and The Great Gatsby are both terrible.

The Dan Brown books are O.K. in terms of plot but they are atrociously written. They just make it into this list.
[/quote]

Goodnight Mr. Tom? Terrible? Seriously, were you reading the same book...?

[quote name='Wahrheit' timestamp='1298415525' post='5027446']
Then you don't appreciate life and humanity.
[/quote]
I appreciate life and humanity. I appreciate that Shakespeare (Or other writers) wrote plays for us.

However, I do not think the book/play itself (in this case, Romeo and Julier) is anything special. That is not to say I dislike Hamlet (Which I love) or Macbeth (It's alright).

[quote name='Zetsubou Black' timestamp='1298415710' post='5027459']
I appreciate life and humanity. I appreciate that Shakespeare (Or other writers) wrote plays for us.

However, I do not think the book/play itself (in this case, Romeo and Julier) is anything special. That is not to say I dislike Hamlet (Which I love) or Macbeth (It's alright).
[/quote]
To reject the value of any book is to reject the ideas and creations of humanity and therefore humanism. If you don't understand that I can't teach it to you, but it's a pessimistic way to go about life.

I think the book is terrible. You can't tell me I'm wrong for that, as it is an opnion. I'm not telling you it's horrible, just saying I think it is.

So, how about this?

I reject... The views of Fidel Castro, let's say. Am I being anti-humanistic?

[quote name='Wahrheit' timestamp='1298417152' post='5027530']
To reject the value of any book is to reject the ideas and creations of humanity and therefore humanism. If you don't understand that I can't teach it to you, but it's a pessimistic way to go about life.
[/quote]

Honestly, bro you gotta realize everyone has an opinion. Someone is gonna hate 1 book for a reason. As a writer I understand that the critiques of my books come from its readers just like people watching a movie. One who needs to learn something is you say judging a book is wrong but you judge the very views and life of another person, or a group of people if that matters. I hope you notice the irony bro.

[quote name='Wahrheit' timestamp='1298415525' post='5027446']
Then you don't appreciate life and humanity.
[/quote]

Dude... Someone's negative opinion about a couple books - regardless of their messages - doesn't have anything to do with appreciating life and humanity. Dickens bored me to tears, Gatsby put me to sleep. Shakespeare I actually enjoy simply because I'm a theatre geek. I

Archived