Official Gatecrash Spoilers [114/249]

Flame Dragon

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Rinne' timestamp='1356931190' post='6106871']
Sure. And damn, was looking for that one. Thanks Skyfall. xD

On that note, I'm officially disappointed how extort's costing will prevent it from ever coming back in a different context. Ever.
[/quote]
I think it can be brought back whenever they need a W/B mechanic. I mean if the other mechanics were to come back odds are they will be in the same colors anyway.

Personally, I REALLY don't like battalion. Its great for the colors, but it seems weak atm.

I don't know how I feel about seeing 6 different 1/1 tokens this block (red Goblins, green Saprolings, white Birds with flying, white Soldiers, white and black Clerics and black and blue Horrors in flying). Not too bad, but still weird.

Experiment One is a Human. So it's both playable in GW Aggro, and triggers Champion of the Parish. But seriously, WHAT IS UP WITH THAT DIMIR THING. IT IS SO UGLY.

Basilica Guards, Viashino Shanktail, Call of the Nightwing and Gateway Shade look like they'll be amazing in limited.

Deathpact Angel somewhat disappoints me since I wanted an Angel of Despair, but it probably warrants at least testing in standard and it'll probably be pretty good, since they need 2 answers to it in the same turn (or over 2 turns if they use instant-speed removal) to really get rid of it.

[quote name='.Rai' timestamp='1356966978' post='6107131']
I see Deathpact Angel being used in some sort of similar deck to the Ravnica block Firemane Angel/Court Hussar deck.
[/quote]
I feel like it could be a pretty good card to tech in control decks since Terminus-ing it and the like keeps it on the field.
That's just me though and I like big beaters even though I run control.

[quote name='Kevin the Bird' timestamp='1356989470' post='6107473']
I feel like it could be a pretty good card to tech in control decks since Terminus-ing it and the like keeps it on the field.
That's just me though and I like big beaters even though I run control.
[/quote]

It doesn't do much in control. I could see this played more in midrange than control. Midrange wants durable threats like Deathpact Angel. Control would rather have a bomb. Basically Angel of Serenity.

[quote name='.Rai' timestamp='1356990118' post='6107481']
It doesn't do much in control. I could see this played more in midrange than control. Midrange wants durable threats like Deathpact Angel. Control would rather have a bomb. Basically Angel of Serenity.
[/quote]
Well a potential Grapha for B/W decks seems pretty good for control...

[quote name='Kevin the Bird' timestamp='1356990259' post='6107484']
Well a potential Grapha for B/W decks seems pretty good for control...
[/quote]

Not really a Grapha though. And Angel or Serenity will nearly always do the same thing if you loop them. Looping Serenities is much more potent.

[quote name='.Rai' timestamp='1356990666' post='6107490']
Not really a Grapha though. And Angel or Serenity will nearly always do the same thing if you loop them. Looping Serenities is much more potent.
[/quote]
True because it is its own fodder.
And yea I see that, though some control decks like mine only run a minimal amount of creatures in the first place so having to target the opponent's creatures isn't always optimal.

Well, considering the general out to control decks is Slaughter Games, it could easily make sense, especially with how resilient it is to most removal. Not to mention, if you can hold up countermagic along with the token spawned, you're in really good shape.

But back to the Slaughter Games point, most control decks are seemingly better off playing multiple win cons (i.e. Ali Aintrazi's 5 colour control deck playing Nicol Bolas, Griselbrand and Gisela) and you can probably run a larger threat density since it costs "only" 6 mana.

[quote name='Kevin the Bird' timestamp='1356990799' post='6107491']
True because it is its own fodder.
And yea I see that, though some control decks like mine only run a minimal amount of creatures in the first place so having to target the opponent's creatures isn't always optimal.
[/quote]

I could see it in a less traditional Esper Reanimator deck. Someone will find a deck for it though.

[quote name='Borderline Unplayable' timestamp='1356991020' post='6107494']
But back to the Slaughter Games point, most control decks are seemingly better off playing multiple win cons (i.e. Ali Aintrazi's 5 colour control deck playing Nicol Bolas, Griselbrand and Gisela) and you can probably run a larger threat density since it costs "only" 6 mana.
[/quote]
All it takes for U/W control is a splash of black really.

[quote name='.Rai' timestamp='1356991102' post='6107496']
I could see it in a less traditional Esper Reanimator deck. Someone will find a deck for it though.
[/quote]
I run U/W control without planeswalkers and if this doesn't cost too much I may just find a way to incorperate it, even if it just means a few Drowned Catacombs.

[quote name='DeathSDelano' timestamp='1357014027' post='6107846']
Looking at the tiny pictures of the Gatecrash promos [no imaging zooming] The promos look like though could be wrong:
Simic: Fathom Mage
Gruul: Rubblehulk
Orzhov: Treasury Thrull
Boros: looks like a Flamekin[fire elemental in boros armor]
Dmir: Call of Nightwing
[/quote]

Dimir's definitely not Call of Nightwing. They are all creatures, so we have not yet seen Dimir's. But, yes, Boros is a Flame-kin. Looks cool. The others are /probably/ right.

Archived