Cards I think should be banned

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, I'm not trying to start anything else here, but I don't think Shock Master, of all cards, deserves that much hate. I played it, it was played against me, and overall, it wasn't too bad. It didn't blow up my field, take my monsters, draw cards like crazy, it just gave protection to everything for a while. I agree, 6 turns of lockdown/whatever you call it, is a bit ridiculous. And getting more than one out was a pain to deal with, but didn't most people just run one of him anyway? I'm just think that he didn't break games too much. Hurts you too, but lets think about it. Most people run Spells and Monsters. Negating those should hurt both players. Not everyone runs Traps. Could hurt you or the opponent or both, but Decree does the same thing (not hurting you though), and no one has issues with it.

Not to be rude or anything, but shock master NEVER hurts its user, since it doesn't really lock down your Main Phase 1! A typical shock master user plays as many cards/effects as they want in Main Phase 1 before calling a card type (usually monster whenever I've faced it) and locking down my next turn unless I have an answer in hand that's not disabled already. Then the cycle continues next turn.

Ranting aside, I'd be curious to know how you avoid this fate since 3 turns without monster effects is very hard to come back from and has lost me many a game.

I'd find Shock Master more balanced if its effect was until your next turn's End Phase something so that you had to be hindered by it too.

Note that I'm not saying that shock master is alot worse then the effects that you mentioned, it just leads its victim into an unwinable game (hyperbole alert: I meant much harder to win) a different way then they do.

Also note that I'm not trying to be rude and insulting to you TGM, I just HATE shockmaster that's all.

For me I use Traps that can pop it too for anyone foolish enough to call Monster. That or I'll just use a Spell to pop it.

If they see you're playing a lot of traps, then they'll call traps. If they see you're playing spells in surplus, they'll call spells.

There's this thing called "Logic" that players tend to use.

I use all 3 so Shocky can't ultimately stop all of them. If they call Spells, I'll pop it w/ a Monster eff, attack or Trap. If they call Traps, I'll use a Spell/Monster. If they call Monster, I'll use a Spell/Trap. Plus Divine Wrath is still a Counter Trap which means they can't chain a non Counter Trap to it.

My argument is that if you auto-lose because of a Shocky, then I'm saying it might be because your deck's unbalanced and relies too much on one type which is what Shock Master was made to Counter.

I use all 3 so Shocky can't ultimately stop all of them. If they call Spells, I'll pop it w/ a Monster eff, attack or Trap. If they call Traps, I'll use a Spell/Monster. If they call Monster, I'll use a Spell/Trap. Plus Divine Wrath is still a Counter Trap which means they can't chain a non Counter Trap to it.

My argument is that if you auto-lose because of a Shocky, then I'm saying it might be because your deck's unbalanced and relies too much on one type which is what Shock Master was made to Counter.

I use a few removal spel/trap cards but most of my decks are very monster based. The trick is drawing the removal at the right time lol.

Whatever deck you're referring to, I would certainly like to see it.

Whatever deck you're referring to, I would certainly like to see it.

My Crystal Beast Deck (it's been updated from the one here) can handle a Shock Master. I'll either A. Pop it with Scrap Dragon, Bounce it with Chidori, or run it over with a powered-up Monster, B. Book of Moon it, or Dark Hole it, C. Kill it with Bottomless, Torritential, or Divine Wrath it.

I use a few removal spel/trap cards but most of my decks are very monster based. The trick is drawing the removal at the right time lol.

Yep, also siding some cards that pop cards help too. Like Raigeki Break, or things like that.

My Crystal Beast Deck (it's been updated from the one here) can handle a Shock Master. I'll either A. Pop it with Scrap Dragon, Bounce it with Chidori, or run it over with a powered-up Monster, B. Book of Moon it, or Dark Hole it, C. Kill it with Bottomless, Torritential, or Divine Wrath it.

Yep, also siding some cards that pop cards help too. Like Raigeki Break, or things like that.

Who's to say you'll actually be able to pull all that off?

Oh, and did you know Crystal Beasts are terrible and can't function inside of the metagame?

Yea, the old build that bases around Rainbow or Hamon does. The Synchro/Xyz Build runs a lot better then people imagine.

And yea, I have pulled it off when No. 16 was used against me. Like I said, it's based to be able to beat down decks reliant on a Single type of card. It's not as hard to beat as everyone claims.

Not to be rude or anything, but shock master NEVER hurts its user, since it doesn't really lock down your Main Phase 1! A typical shock master user plays as many cards/effects as they want in Main Phase 1 before calling a card type (usually monster whenever I've faced it) and locking down my next turn unless I have an answer in hand that's not disabled already. Then the cycle continues next turn.

Ok, I agree, you don't have too much of a defect. Stops you from doing some minor things, etc. I kind of revoke most of what I said about Shock master, but I was thinking: A friend told me that people only run one of this guy (true, I guess?), so its banned, or at three. I don't see 3 happening, for those people who like to summon 3 and troll. But I could still see one copy of this being played. One seems legit, but barely. Because you shut down one of three ways to stop him, you still have two you can use. Now, it also depends on what deck you fight. But still, I can see how you get the ability to shut down a deck. Limiting what the opponent does does not mean you win, its just harder for them to. Take Evilswarm Ophion VS a Quasar Deck, for example. I still beat Ophion without triggering Pandemic and I Synchro Summoned while doing it. And then I won the duel shortly after. My point is, you shouldn't just lose when this guy hits the field, but he still is unfair.

I still find it amusing that Shocky was banned when it didn't do insanely well in the last format. Yet No. 11 wasn't touched and I personally find a No. 11 or a Draccosack are worse than Shocky. Big Eye is a free steal, and Draccosack is invincible + takes cheap shots at the Opponent. To me both are cheaper then a very weak Cold Wave that I can play around easily.

Just because a card can be countered doesn't mean it is fair, and good job giving examples of only Limited non-monster cards and a card that no one uses. Guess what guys, I can negate Raigeki with Dark Bribe! Let's unban it!

I was giving a couple suggestions of hundreds that are in the game that can stop No. 16. Raigeki is not the same thing. No. 16 is to stop decks that are effect-heavy on a specific type of effect. It's not effective against decks that are BALANCED.

Dragon Rulers by nature is not exactly balanced, it's based around mostly Monster Effects. But if you balance your deck with other cards, (Spells and Traps) you don't have to worry. Because if you have a Monster and a Trap that can both destroy No. 16, how effective is it now? Just think about that

I was giving a couple suggestions of hundreds that are in the game that can stop No. 16. Raigeki is not the same thing. No. 16 is to stop decks that are effect-heavy on a specific type of effect. It's not effective against decks that are BALANCED.

Dragon Rulers by nature is not exactly balanced, it's based around mostly Monster Effects. But if you balance your deck with other cards, (Spells and Traps) you don't have to worry. Because if you have a Monster and a Trap that can both destroy No. 16, how effective is it now? Just think about that

Right. How all Decks should be made should be heavily affected by a single card. And you were saying how you liked a unique way to play. Good luck accomplishing that with heavier rules on deckbuilding.

What I don't like is specific cardkind-heavy decks. Decks based only on Monster effects tick me off. Spell-based are more aggravating then anything and Trap-based seem to be a noob-only decks.

What's wrong on playing decks that have some balance for a change then just relying solely on Monster Effects or Spells? Why do we need more Hand-Traps and Monsters that make it that you can run a Deck of only that type of Card and barely lose anything. That's a point where the game needs some cards to force players to balance out their decks.

I'm not saying put No. 16 back to 3, but just have 1 so that players will be forced to play more Spell/Traps then just Draw cards and the very best staples? I'm a fan of unique decks, but also of balanced decks and of cards that force players to think outside of the box with their deck. Not just whine and cry that a single card can beat their deck. Be creative. No. 16 is not that good if everyone has decks that are balanced or even just slightly unbalanced.

No. 16 is great because we have Monsters that make Stronger ones, act as Traps, counter top decks, and can do basically anything for you. So the solution isn't ban the card, it's fix the deck.

Woooooooarrrrgh! Do note that it's actually better to call Spells, because if Traps didn't stop it from being summoned they probably won't stop it from resolving, and most backrow kills monsters. Regardless of what you call, it shits on the concept of two players playing Yu-Gi-Oh because it doesn't say "at the beginning of your Standby Phase" meaning even if you for some reason call something that hurts you equally you are gonna spend less time under it. It is an entirely irredeemable card and should only exist at 0.

Why call Spells when you can stop Veiler, Gorz, Trag, Battle Fader, and most unbalanced dumb decks by calling Monsters? Also it wouldn't work for a Standby effect. It would be nice if you were forced to use it at the start of your Main Phase but even without that. If you call Spells, in my next turn it will be gone because my deck is balanced and can wait one turn w/o Spells or Traps or even Monster Effects. If your deck can't do that then your deck needs some changes.

Archived