[Finished][Finished][Aqua's Contest] Contest of the Sea

-Noel-

@kevin7653 Well, your card is an equip card that gives a boost and can give the holder a defense-smashing effect. While your roundabout way to activate the second effect helped, all of your factors are nothing new to the TCG. A 500 point boost and defense-piercing is kinda plain in today's game. You didn't do that bad, but it certainly could have been better. At least, this is my opinion.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And finally, I'm back \(^o^)/ will post the scores soon, or in the worst case, tomorrow morning

also Amoonguss, I saw 3 contestants (afunworm, RampageXWolf and Striker) are having problems with your judging and you still don't solve it yet, please do anything about it (just explain why you judge their cards that way, or maybe adjust the scores if necessary since I think their cards are pretty well), also thx for help me judging, you too Sakura :)

@Rampage: I put your balance and originality score as low as it was because of the effects. The first effect is a slight boost to water types, which, while not completely original, is alright. I find myself conflicting with the second effect of Monster Reborn likeness, so you lost points in both of those factors. And to top it off, you add in a search effect for any 2 water monsters of your choosing, even if you activate the second effect or not. I just find it OP, and all of these effects are familiar to me.

@Afunworm: Ok, you say that your monster was meant to work with a specific card. Thing is, I judge usability by two factors; would I use this card, and would I see this card often in official tournaments? The 3 monster cost is a bit high for a support monster, and it holds no offensive or defensive support on it's own. It's second effect is a bit underwhelming for this card to be any use on it's own, but it does pair well with Black Ray Lancer, yes, and they ARE ways to get three level 3s, but the end result is barely worth it outside Lancer's lead. That is why I put usability that low.

@Striker: Hang on a sec...(rereads entry and other sea serpents) Ah. Hmm... Wow, that's gonna chain hard with cards like Abyssmegalo and such, and it's first effect can replace Abyss Sphere in a pinch. I'll give you extra points in usability, but with this new data, you lost a point in balance. Your new score is 42/50. Sorry about that.

[spoiler='scores']
Lilharp
B: 16 (so it's 2800 beatstick if not detach. It's too high for R4, even specific mat)
C: 14
O: 10
T: 5
Total: 45

Gadjiltron
B: 17
C: 15
Total: 47

Thunderclap
B: 17.5
O: 8.5
T: 4.5
Total: 45.5

~shin~
B: 12 (you forgot something important like summoning/tributing or OPT restriction, or else you could just use this and get a free monarch/LADD
O: 9
Total: 40

I Hate Snatch Steal
B: 9.5
C: 12 (so you just copy+paste 2 of 3 eff...)
O: 4
T: 3
Total: 28.5

:^)
B: 15 (1st eff without any drawback is too good)
C: 13
Total: 41.5

ShootingStardust
B: 11
C: 12
O: 6.5
Total: 34.5

wightpower
B: 12.5 (you'd get 4-5 scores back if that Spell last eff doesn't existed)
O: 7.5
T: 4
Total: 38

Dyson Sphere
B: 19.5
Total: 48.5

Little Dragon 64
B: 8
C: 8
O: 2
Total: 23

Striker
B: 20
Total: 48

Zanbaku
B: 15
C: 12
O: 7.5
T: 4.5 (kappa is actually not a sea creature)
Total: 39

Nerdboy
C: 13
Total: 44

Bronzegauntlet

B: 15
C: 10
Total: 37.5

sharpretina24

B: 12 (it should only gain ATK from Tidal Counters)
O: 5
Total: 32

josholche
B: 16
Total: 44.5

-pyon
O: 3 (I deducted the points for that weird stat here, not from theme like Sakura did)
Total: 39

Kirito-san
B: 6 (dat stat...)
O: 4.5
Total: 25.5

afunworm

B: 18 (2nd eff should have OPT restriction, or at least different targets restricted)

O: 9.5

T: 4.5

Total: 46

RampageXWolf

B: 19

O: 9.5

Total: 48.5

Thar

B: 16

O: 7

Total: 42

kevin7653

B: 11 (I didn't say weak is good)

O: 6.5

Total: 31.5

[/spoiler]

feel free to ask me why I give you those scores :) and seeing Amoonguss answered those who asked him, I'll sum the scores and send the prize as soon as I answered all questions toward me

@Rampage: I put your balance and originality score as low as it was because of the effects. The first effect is a slight boost to water types, which, while not completely original, is alright. I find myself conflicting with the second effect of Monster Reborn likeness, so you lost points in both of those factors. And to top it off, you add in a search effect for any 2 water monsters of your choosing, even if you activate the second effect or not. I just find it OP, and all of these effects are familiar to me.
@Afunworm: Ok, you say that your monster was meant to work with a specific card. Thing is, I judge usability by two factors; would I use this card, and would I see this card often in official tournaments? The 3 monster cost is a bit high for a support monster, and it holds no offensive or defensive support on it's own. It's second effect is a bit underwhelming for this card to be any use on it's own, but it does pair well with Black Ray Lancer, yes, and they ARE ways to get three level 3s, but the end result is barely worth it outside Lancer's lead. That is why I put usability that low.
@Striker: Hang on a sec...(rereads entry and other sea serpents) Ah. Hmm... Wow, that's gonna chain hard with cards like Abyssmegalo and such, and it's first effect can replace Abyss Sphere in a pinch. I'll give you extra points in usability, but with this new data, you lost a point in balance. Your new score is 42/50. Sorry about that.

Hi there,

I can now positively conclude that you have not, for some reason, taken a look at the card, rather than scanned through it. The card, first of all, requires only 2 monsters, with no specific criteria, that is a breeze to Summon in literally any deck (for instance: Ghostrick, Fish Rank 3, Mermail, Firefist, Madolche,... even Gladiator Beast or any deck that run Rank 3); not 3 monsters as you have mistaken. Also, the card that it supports is "Full Armored Black Ray Lancer", not "Black ray Lancer", so if you please take a look at the card again, it's fairly powerful. By Summoning it with 2 Level 3 (as simple as dropping a Tour Guide), you can reduce an opponent's ATK by 1200. Then by overlaying it with Full Armored Black Ray Lancer (literally no other cost), you have a 2300 ATK beast stick that can kill your opponent's monster with up to 3500 ATK (remember the 1200 ATK loss). More than that, thanks to the Rank 3, that Full Armored Black Ray Lancer cannot be destroyed or targeted by card effects; and allow you to destroy 1 Spell/Trap card on the field after attacking. If it should be destroyed by Battle, you can destroy its Material(s) instead.

I just explained to you how just 1 card, Tour Guide, can use advantage of my card to destroy 1 Monster with 3500 ATK or less, and destroy 1 more Spell/Trap after attacking with Battle and Effect Destruction Immunity.

I hope you would take a look again at the card I mentioned, carefully, and see if it fits the reason for your giving me low score on that.

Thanm you.

I just have one question: What was wrong wiith my OCG?

Let me see the card in question:

If 2 or more monsters are Special Summoned at the same time: You can target 1 of them; Banish that target, and if you do, draw 1 card. You can only activate 1 "Depth Lure" per turn.

PSCT wordings are always activation conditions : targets and costs ; actions afterwards. There are no colons that succeed a semicolon in the same sentence with exception to them being in card names. If you want 2 chain-starting effects triggering in sequence, you'll need to put them in separate sentences.

@Aqua: I don't know, I'm probably going to leave that effect in. I felt like I needed to make its effects as abusable as possible because Ritual Spells aren't really useful as standalone cards otherwise. The ability to recycle itself felt necessary ever since Gishki Aquamirror changed the game. Othwerwise, I accept your judgement fully. I had a lot of fun designing mine, and you all gave me good scores on theme and creativity, which is really all I'm after.

Thanks for hosting!

I still not satisfied with this, didn't you see my score from judges who really judging things? I got full balance from Sakura and almost full from Aqua, not different from their Originality or Creativity score, in term of effect, Monster Reborn like is outclassed by Soul Charge, CoTH, etc. and searching effect is fully outclassed by Hysteric Sign, so mixing 2 mediocre effects in 1 card is just a way to make a useful legit card, how could you called it OP

@Rampage: Doesn't mean Monster Reborn isn't limited/banned most of the time. Besides, all of these effects had little to no possible drawbacks, except for maybe discarding a card or no boost. Mixing 2 mediocre effects in one card does not earn you points in originality; it's like cramming Pot of Greed with Dian Keto into one card. What you did is tone down a slightly more severe version of my example, and because of this, I will not change my score.

@Afunworm: (rereads card) Aw crap, I made an error. Hang on, I should have given you 3 more usability points. Your new score is 36/50. I'll explain: While the card is quick to summon and supports a strong card, it's lack of stats as well as exclusive use on the first effect drags the card down a bit.

Just giving a little tibit people need to realize: a judge's score is usually final. Now you can ask for a second look, but the judge has no obligation to comply unless there is a major misread or something like that.

Hi Striker,

We acknowledge that the Judge's decision is final. We just reserve the rights to ask for the score to be fair. For such high pot competition and such experience Judges as well as the host, his judgement isn't proven to even make sense. Does it count if he keeps insisting that my card requires 3 Level 3 monsters while it requires only 2? I mean, if it happens to only me personally, I would not even bother. But there are 3 more people whose case is the same (18% of total contestants). You have the rights as being a judge, but if the large enough amount of competitor asks for a different judge, there should be a problem.

Again, typing these lines here won't change the result. I just hope he could probably take a look at the entries again.

Please note that no offense or argument was intended.

@Rampage I will not accept any anti-sportmanship move from you anymore, I also think it's one of the best cards here, but judges didn't need to share the same points of view, although because of this happens, next time I'll accept the judges from only 4-stars or higher members to prevent not-so-good judging like this, as for now you can post that card in Single Cards forum to get furthermore review, but please stop discuss about it here

[spoiler='with that said, currently final scores are']
 Lilharp: 37 + 46 + 45 : 128
Gadjiltron: 41 + 48 + 47 : 136
Thunderclap: 36 + 48 + 45.5 : 129.5
~shin~: 37 + 41 + 40 : 118
I Hate Snatch Steal: 33 + 35 + 28.5 : 96.5
:^): 40 + 41.5 + 41.5 : 123
ShootingStardust: 32 + 36.5 + 34.5 : 103
wightpower: 36 + 40 + 38 : 114
Dyson Sphere: 41 + 48.5 + 48.5 : 138
Little Dragon 64: 27 + 19 + 23 : 69
Striker: 42 + 48.5 + 48 : 138.5
Zanbaku: 41 + 41 + 39 : 121
Nerdboy: 30 + 40.5 + 44 : 114.5
Bronzegauntlet: 37 + 34.5 + 37.5 : 109
sharpretina24: 21 + 28.5 + 32 : 81.5
josholche: 42 + 45 + 44.5 : 131.5
-pyon: 38 + 36.5 + 39 : 113.5
Kirito-san: 36 + 31.5 + 25.5 : 93
afunworm: 36 + 47.5 + 46 : 129.5
RampageXWolf: 36 + 48.5 + 48.5 : 133
Thar: 43 + 39.5 + 42 : 124.5
kevin7653: 36 + 27.5 + 31.5 : 95

[/spoiler]

so until 24 hours after I posted my judging (about 10 hours from this post) if there's no question about judging, I'll send the points to the winners, also with 22 contestants, I decided to give 10% of the pot to the 4th place as well

@Rampage: You still get 4th place (and some prize money), despite all of this.

As Striker mentioned though, when judges post scores, they're generally final but we are prone to making mistakes also. When I graded some of your entries, I may have overlooked something (given that I am grading stuff concurrently with doing last minute work on the brink of college finals), though I do my best to minimize such errors.  If I did make a mistake in grading (or if I mark down something outside of the theme, like with OCG), if you can provide an example of an actual card that uses that wording (or something along those lines), I'll readjust it. Though it doesn't really help that Konami changes it every couple sets (grades are done on the most recent wording that is available). Same goes for balance and other things.

We're not expected to grade all on the same criteria, but that's the reason we have multiple people grading (so you have a diversity of opinions).

Anyway, if no one else has any questions about the scores Aqua, myself or Amoonguss gave you, I'll let Aqua deal out the pot and wrap things up here.

alright it's a time, I'll declare the winner and distribute the prize now

1st place : Striker

2nd place: Dyson Sphere

3rd place: Gadjiltron

4th place: RampageXWolf

and tbh, this really surprises me, I didn't expect this many ppl to join my contest, good luck to you all and hope we could do it again next time

Archived