[Sakura Contest Series 4] Genryū/Wyrm Contest (Not Accepting / Judging)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure that Vector got to your entry yet [I'm adding entries to that post in the order you submit them], but assume that he/she already marked. 

Usually, you should have everything fixed up BEFORE posting entry.

Working on the awards.

Also, Loyalist noted in the Leaving & Returning thread that he will be going away from YCM. So if his card happens to place, I'll leave his prize on the award post and hopefully he sees it.

Probably should do that.

Although it's finals for a lot of us (including me), so I'll take that into account. 

While I'd like to have 3 judges like the usual stuff; I think Vector and myself are sufficient enough (so our grades balance out; since I grade on one set of criteria and Vector or whoever else does another).

Also guys, because Konami recently announced the English name for Genryu (Wyrm), you can start using that name in this contest. (If you already submitted the card with the old naming, no need to change it). I personally prefer Genryu better since most of the members thus far are more Asian-themed and Wyrm is generally used for European dragons (the ones that a lot of us probably grew up learning about)

Well here it is, been busy doing things:

120h7rk.jpg

[spoiler=Lore:]

Pendulum: !: If you do not have a face up Wyrm-Type Monster on your field: this card's Pendulum Scale becomes 4. @: When your opponent activates a card that would destroy a Pendulum Summoned monster(s): You can destroy this monster instead and inflict 300x the number of Pendulum Summoned monsters to you and your opponent. 

Monster: This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. !: Pendulum Monster or Pendulum Summoned monsters gain 200 ATK for each face up Spell/Trap Card on the field. [/spoiler]

I bet a first for this contest. 

Yeah, you're the only one who made a Pendulum monster (and are using the English name).

Points won't be deducted if you choose to use Genryu; I personally prefer that choice.

Going to add that to entry post.

(I have all finals dealt with, so time to early grade; meaning that I'll judge cards ahead of time, foreseeing any events that may occur, but I won't show until the deadline's up [which is next week])

I'd really like to join in too, my entry is also ready:

[spoiler='Entry']J1Z0iVm.jpg[spoiler='Lore']Cannot be Normal Summoned, except if you control a face-up Genryu-Type Monster. During your Main Phase, you can target 1 face-up Genryu-Type Monster you control and reveal 1 Dragon or Genryu-Type Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck; Send both this card and the target to the Graveyard, then Special Summon the revealed Monster from your Extra Deck. (This Special Summon is treated as a Synchro Summon.) You can only activate this effect of "Imaginary Dragon Leylein" once per turn.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

This seems pretty cool. Already have my card and everything.

[SPOILER=Red-Eyes Neo Dragon]

L78ve4E.jpg

2 Level 4 Dragon-type monsters

You can also Xyz Summon this card by using a "Red Eyes B. Dragon" you control as the Xyz Material. If you do, search your Deck for a Genryu- or Dragon-type monster and add it to this card as an Xyz Material. If you control another Genryu-type monster: Genryu-type monsters cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effect. Once per turn, you can remove 1 Xyz Material from this card: Banish 1 Spell or Trap card on the field. If you do, this card cannot declare an attack this turn. When this card leaves the field, you can Special Summon 1 "Red-Eyes B. Dragon" attached to this card as an Xyz Material.
[/SPOILER]

Pretty much it support/uses support from Red-Eyes Black Dragon, but can still fit in decks that don't use or revolve around red eyes.

Always register early and turn in late :D! Anyway, here is another spammer for the Deck:

[spoiler="Wightlind Dragon"]

Z1OizCI.jpg

Lore:
①: During your opponent's turn, if you successfully Synchro Summon a Synchro Monster (except during Battle Phase): You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower Genryu-Type monster from your hand in face-up Defense Position. ②: If this card is sent to the Graveyard for a Synchro Summon: You can shuffle 3 Genryu-Type monster with different Attributes in your Graveyard to your Deck; draw 1 card.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Darkvoid Lord']

E2Ge4Aa.jpg

If your opponent controls a monster, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing, but its effects are negated. If this card is Summoned from the hand, it cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects. Once per turn, when a card effect is activated in the Graveyard: You can negate its activation, and if you do, banish it.

[/spoiler]

Avj7yTx.jpg

Can only be Special Summoned by removing from play 5 Wyrm-type monsters with different attributes from your graveyard. You can inflict damage to your opponent equal to the number of banished Wyrm-type monsters x 500. You can only use this effect of "Emperor's Guard" once per turn.

Hi there. Sorry for being late. I have been inactive for a while so here's my entry

jmkhV5N.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']Lore
If you control another Non-Tuner Genryu-Type monster, you can special summon this card from your hand. If Summoned this way, banish this card when it leaves the field. 
 [/spoiler]
Not the best but i thought it would be a nice ice breaker.

Don't worry, you still had about two days to submit an entry anyway.

Will edit main post now (only Zanbaku needs to post theirs)

Oh and entries are still being taken for the next two days, so if you guys were procrastinating on whether or not to enter, do it while you still can.

EDIT: Guess I missed Zanbaku's post earlier in contest, he's accounted for.

Anyway, the contest results since the deadline is past now. As noted in main post, I'm scaling my results by 2.5x to balance with Vector's 100 scale.

If you guys have questions about your marks from either myself or Vector, feel free to ask.

[spoiler=Sakura's Marks]

Thunderclap

B: 14.5

C: 9

O: 10

T: 5

Total: 38.5

Adjusted (2.5x): 96.25

TEM23

B: 13.5

C: 7.5

O: 9 (spelling error and Dragon-”T”ype)

Total: 35

Adjusted (2.5x): 87.5

josholche

C: 8

O: 7.5

Total: 34

Adjusted (2.5x): 85

Unari

B: 10 (potential spam in Rulers [Blaster]/Chaos decks)

C: 6

Total: 28.5

Adjusted (2.5x): 71.25

Aqua Hina

B: 14

Total: 38

Adjusted (2.5x): 95

Akiyuri

O: 9.5

Total: 37

Adjusted (2.5x): 92.5

sharpretina24

B: 9 (while the stats are low for a Level 10 Nomi, you essentially recycle the monsters used to SS it and then restore its power; effectively putting it at 2900/3000. Also remember Chaos Dragons)

C: 5

O: 1

Total: 20

Adjusted (2.5x): 50

Zanbaku

O: 9

Total: 36.5

Adjusted (2.5x): 91.25

And_Then_There_were _None

B: 10 (it's a 2k beatstick that can offer itself/another Genryu effect protection; unlike most Level 4 monsters with +1900 ATK, no rea; drawback)

C: 7

O: 7

Total: 29

Adjusted (2.5x): 72.5

Electric Wizard

B: 10.5

Total: 30

Adjusted (2.5x): 75

Little Dragon 64

B: 11

O: 8.5

Total: 31.5

Adjusted (2.5x): 78.75

Komeiji Koishi (Ain)

B: 11 (last effect only bounces one card back, given its summon condition to begin with)

O: 5.5

Total: 29

Adjusted (2.5x): 72.5

OpticalGalaxyStar

B: 12.5

O: 6

Total: 32.5

Adjusted (2.5x): 81.25

Loyalist

Total: 30

Adjusted (2.5x): 75

EPTinYugi

B: 11.5

O: 8.5

Total: 32.5

Adjusted (2.5x): 81.25

never_this_again

B: 14

C: 8.5 (it's an awkward way to perform a simple Synchro, but unique)

O: 8 (last part of effect has name discrepancy; 'Imagination' or 'Imagine' Dragon?)

Total: 35.5

Adjusted (2.5x): 88.75

Le Reptile

O: 6.5

Total: 30.5

Adjusted (2.5x): 76.25

afunworm

B: 13

C: 8.5

O: 9.5

Total: 36

Adjusted (2.5x): 90

RampageXWolf

Total: 37.5

Adjusted (2.5x): 93.75

Feartheghost

B: 9.5 (even with the hard OPT clause and conditions, it's guaranteed at least 2500 burn each turn)

C: 6

Total: 26.5

Adjusted (2.5x): 66.25

Orlannis

B: 14.5

O: 8

Total: 35.5

Adjusted (2.5x): 88.75[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Detailed]
[spoiler="Rocket Man"]

> Effect Text Correctness: 7/10
(I'm pretty sure it should specify what the different Attribute relates to. Also then 'you can only activate the effect...' should be 'you can only activate this effect...')

> Grammar, Syntax and Spelling: 5/5

> Image Quality and Realism: 5/5

> Image Thematic Coherency: 4/5
(I just don't think it looks as... watery as the name implies, despite the background, also it looks rather 'stronger' compared to what it is, but overall good)

> Balancing and Usability: 12/15
(It may be overall balanced, but it's kind of a winmoar card that you can only really capitalize on after you've set up. It's not bad though, and can certainly add some speed to the deck)

> Abusability: 5/5

> Design: 16/20
(What I don't like here is that it rewards you for already having good field control. Sorta like kicking the opponent while they're down)

> Creativity (Theme): 5/15
(Yeah... no. In all honesty, when the goal is to make a Genryu-Type, and you make a Dragonstar... you're really taking the laziest way out)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 6/15
(Card doesn't try anything new, doesn't take the deck anywhere new. It adds a bit of added speed and field control and that's that)

> Judge's Grace: 2/5
(Awarding a point here for the nice effect on the image, and one more because I like the name)

> Total: 67/100
(Overall a good card, but making it a Dragonstar with a banal Synchromoar skillset kicked it down several pegs in my book)[/spoiler]

[spoiler="TEM 23"]

> Effect Text Correctness: 5/10
(I'm going on a limb and assuming that it's meant to return cards that are either LIGHT Dragons, or DARK Dragons. As it's worded it can return any LIGHT monsters and any DARK Dragon monsters, and either way wording is wonky. Last effect is missing an 'a')

> Grammar, Syntax and Spelling: 4/5
(to activate and resolve this effects?)

> Image Quality and Realism: 3/5
(While cute, this picture is certainly not something you'd see in a printed card)

> Image Thematic Coherency: 5/5
(At least it conveys what it's supposed to though)

> Balancing and Usability: 7/15
(At first I was thinking Hieratics, but Hieratics don't care about this. All that can really use this is some BEWD Chaos. Even so it won't really boost them to any real extent, just give them some minor recyclability that they don't need. The fact that it has no support in that deck, and it relies on a pretty specific combo to even work, doesn't give this card any real room to be played. It does net some points because Imagine Breaker into a beater is a cute thing, but not many)

> Abusability: 4/5
(I'm deducing a point here because even though it's not really abusable as it stands, cards with effects along the lines of "shuffle ALL of cards in X back to deck" and such can easily create future problems)

> Design: 14/20
(It does have a more or less decent approach to what it wants to do, but falls short in execution. An interesting approach to meddling with Banidragons, anyway)

> Creativity (Theme): 9/15
(Well at least it's not a Dragonstar. Still I'd like to see something more creative than a retrained BEWD)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 11/15
(It's an ok concept at what it attempts, but feels awkward)

> Judge's Grace: 1/5
(Card has nostalgia factor going for it, which is nice, but that's really all)

> Total: 63/100
(An ok effort, but could be much better)[/spoiler]

[spoiler=josholche]

> Effect Text Correctness: 3/10
(Stuff's pretty mangled, bad capitalization, commas where they shouldn't be etc)

(excpet)

> Image Quality and Realism: 1/5
(...no)

> Image Thematic Coherency: 2/5
(Well kinda ok I guess but no)

> Balancing and Usability: 3/15
(...no. SS up to 3 monsters when SSd, no effect negation nothing, for a meager 1500 LP. What the actual hell, really. And you can typically just go ahead and Synch them immediately. No. It's ironic how the second effect is almost useless by comparison. I mean, even though Dragonstars don't really have all that much going for them right now... they can still abuse the hell out of this. The future looks bleak indeed)

> Abusability: 1/5
(An archetyped Soul Charge that's searchable by a series of floaters. Nothing can go wrong with that right?)

> Design: 0/20
(Nothing here. It's a win button card. About as well-designed as the aforementioned Soul Charge)

> Creativity (Theme): 0/15
(I don't think this could be any more boring within the context of the contest. It's a Dragonstar...)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 0/15
(...that Special Summons... and Synchro Summons.)

> Judge's Grace: 0/5
(No. Nothing.)

> Total: 14/100
(This card is just... broken. It is also bland and unimaginative. Did I mention broken, bland and unimaginative? Also, why was it posted twice?)[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Unari]

(Again incorrect capitalization, missing colons and semi-colons etc...)

> Grammar, Syntax and Spelling: 3/5
(Second sentence's syntax is mangled)

> Image Quality and Realism: 2/5
(Not terrible, but not what I'd call realistic in terms of YGO either. Bland background hurts it)

> Balancing and Usability: 0/15
(No. 2600 body with absurdly easy summoning condition that enables and synergizes with a mass of things (see Abusability) and clears enemy backrow. Absolutely no restrictions besides 'you can only control 1', which doesn't matter. The point was that Dragons have too much support, so we move to Genryus... not go on to break Dragons even more)

> Abusability: 0/5
(This absolutely breaks Lightsworn Ruler decks. It enables Wyvern, Overlays with any Ruler into Big Eye or Dragossack... deck is sacky enough as it is without yet another win button that enables half the deck)

(Card was made with no regard to the meta, and was built in a way to abuse one of the most sacky decks around)

> Creativity (Theme): 7/15
(On top of everything else it's a Dragonstar... well at least it earns some points for attempting to be generic)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 6/15
(Not terribly uncreative, just broken)

(Nothing to see here)

> Total: 26/100
(Too broken. It has some small merits elsewhere, but creator's inexperience is blatantly obvious)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Aqua Hina"]

> Effect Text Correctness: 10/10

(First effect is well-balanced. It's given a clever set of immunities so that it has staying power, while not making it overly annoying since there are a lot of Trap card answers. But I do have gripes with the second effect - it should clearly have a limit, see below. Plus it does get obnoxious how it can basically stay invulerable unless your opponent answers with a Trap, because Trapless decks are basically helpless against this. It helps somewhat that it can't summon Tokens off Token destruction, but the problem remains...)

(...as you can combo it with a floater series and basically clog your opponent's field and lock down their plays, while filling yours with stuff you can use. It really really needed limits)

> Design: 18/20
(Despite the aforementioned problems, this card has a good design. It is a refreshing approach to defensive play and integration of low Level Synchros into the concept, which can open up new possibilities to several decks)

> Creativity (Theme): 15/15
(Perfectly matches what I'd generally want to see in the Genryu Type. A good naming sense and well-chosen picture complete the appropriate flavor)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 15/15
(It's hard to make defensive cards in a way that isn't overdone or plain-out boring, but this card manages well)

> Judge's Grace: 5/5
(I personally loved this card. It earns bonus points for strong thematic synergy between concept and effect, and smart use of how water is typically connected to illusions and mirages)

> Total: 90/100
(This card was almost perfect. If the landmine with its combo potential with floaters had been sidestepped, it could possibly earn a perfect score)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Akiyuri]

> Effect Text Correctness: 8/10
(I really felt the need to subtract more here because, while there was only one capitalization error... the rest was basically c/p from the other Genry text, so even one error is really lazy -.- but I restricted it to two points down)

(It's a pretty good image, but doesn't exactly have a Genryu feel)

> Balancing and Usability: 8/15
(Eh. It's another cog in the Dragonstar machine, that doesn't really offer anything important to the deck. The ability it confers to the Synchro monster is possibly the weakest of them all, especially given its stats, and the only thing it has to offer is being DARK)

(Just a standard Dragonstar. Not any more abusable than its peers)

> Design: 10/20
(It's 75% standardfare Dragonstar, so not gonna comment on that. The Banishment prevention comes in a meta where Banishment is almost irrelevant, especially when other Dragonstars give your Synchro monster flat-out immunity to S/Ts. I do not see any good or original design choices here at all)

> Creativity (Theme): 2/15
(Yeah uh... it's a Dragonstar that follows the Dragonstar theme to the letter. Why so lazy, people?)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 2/15
(See above)

(I'm only adding a point here because I did like the fact that this card has potential to be relevant in a Banish format. But otherwise, nothing really)

> Total: 50/100
(Inexcusably lazy design >.>)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=sharpretina24]

(Old OCG, no capitalization etc)

> Image Quality and Realism: 3/5
(Erhh passable I guess. Still too blurry and vague for a YGO card)

(More or less alright)

(No. Stop. This contest was made because Dragons have too much support - why would you EVER give them probably the BEST support card ever?! This literally equates to a goddamn Soul Charge for Dragons that doesn't cost LP or a Battle Phase. Its so broken it's not even funny)

(It is abusable in every possible way)

(...it's a goddamn Soul Charge for Dragons that doesn't cost LP or a Battle Phase. Do I really need to say more? Oh and it's randomly a Galaxy monster, even though it has nothing to do with the archetype)

> Creativity (Theme): 7/15
(...at least it's not another Dragonstar. That's probably the only redeeming factor of this card)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 3/15
(Genryu was made so that we could have Dragons that weren't as abusable as regular Dragons. This card makes Dragons even more abusable, and not even in any form of creative way. Just mass summon and win)

(This card is a card that should never exist under any circumstances)

> Total: 25/100
(No. Stahp. Do not want.)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Little Dragon 64"]

> Effect Text Correctness: 4/10
(When this Synchro Summoned I speak very English. Also old +LP OCG, no spacing)

> Grammar, Syntax and Spelling: 3/5

(...what? Let's take a look at this. When it is Synchro Summoned, you can Special Summon monsters up to the number of different attributes used to Synchro Summon it. What happens when you Synchro Summon it using only monsters of different attributes? That's right, you get 3 free 2200 beatsticks. And then you have the absurdly underwhelming second effect. This card makes no sense)

(If a card that can summon 2 copies of itself and then its mats for free isn't abusable, I don't know what is)

> Design: 2/20
(Full field for free is not good YGO design. Did you guys just look at Soul Charge and said 'hey, this is a good card but it feels kinda underwhelming really, let's all put it in strong monster bodies and remove those silly costs and restrictions!')

> Creativity (Theme): 6/15
(It's mildly better than a non-Synchro Dragonstar by virtue of being a Synchro Dragonstar, but only mildly)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 7/15
(Frankly, it's pretty bad. It doesn't capitalize on the Dragonstar mechanic, just swarms more (absurdly more). It doesn't take the deck in any interesting or original direction, just gives it a stupid OTK engine. The second effect just tries to go somewhere, but it's in the wrong deck and in the wrong year - try 10 years ago)

(I hate this card and all the bunch of Soul Charge clones I'm seeing)

> Total: 32/100
(No.)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=And_Then_There_Were_None]

> Effect Text Correctness: 6/10
(Not so good, missing colons and semi-colons)

> Image Quality and Realism: 2/5
(Looks more like something you'd see in MtG or somewhere. Doesn't feel YGO at all)

> Image Thematic Coherency: 3/5

> Balancing and Usability: 9/15
(Well... it's overpowered. Not in a blatant ZOMG BROKEN way, but it's still a 2k Level 4 with no summoning restrictions and no detrimental effects that can Safe Zone itself or a number of other targets for a turn on-summon, and has a rather underwhelming, but still positive effect on leaving the field. It should've had 200-300 ATK less)

(I'm not really impressed by the design as it doesn't go anywhere. It's a beater with inbuilt protection. It would probably only be used for filler spots due to its high base attack)

> Creativity (Theme): 8/15
(I'm starting to look at cards positively here simply by virtue of them not being Dragonstars that do the same thing as other Dragonstars. Regardless, this card doesn't really go the distance in any way)

(Yeah again... it's just a good beater with some protection, really. Something you'd likely drool over 10 years ago, but now you need stuff that directly work towards your strategy - and Genryus don't have, nor do I think they can feasibly get, a strategy that will make this card more than what's on the tin)

(I don't see anything here that stands out in any way)

> Total: 56/100
(It managed to be generally useless and at the same time overpowered all in one. That's kinda rare, and not very impressive)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Electric Wizard"]

(Small error)

> Balancing and Usability: 6/15
(It was actually going pretty well until the part where it can Banish anything for free without even targeting. That... yeah, that was beyond broken. Dragonstar decks can bring this out laughably easily and fuel the Graveyard for its skill, and they can even Tribute into it without trouble if they run out of fuel (unlikely). This is broken)

> Abusability: 2/5
(As mentioned, Dragonstars have a field day with this, not to mention setting them up for Synchro plays that much more easily)

> Design: 14/20
(Not too shabby altogether. It's a fitting boss card that can empower the Type, it just flew off the acceptable balance ratings)

> Creativity (Theme): 12/15
(This card is a good example of how many people could try to support Dragonstars, without making more Dragonstars that didn't do anything that Dragonstars didn't already do)

(It's nothing particularly appealing - taking a common boss skill and heavily beefing it up. At the same time, it doesn't really take advantage of the Genryu Type's real strength right now (at least the Dragonstar deck's, which is the only indicative thing we have), instead having generic conditions that just happen to be easy to fulfill there, but would be far more fitting for a number of different decks. A poor package altogether)

> Judge's Grace: 3/5
(I like the name and the way the image meshes with it and its theme)

> Total: 68/100
(A decent card overall, heading towards the right direction, but attention should've been paid in the last effect)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=OpticalGalaxyStar]

(Messed up the condition: cost; effect structure, also some other errors)

> Image Quality and Realism: 4/5
(Feels slightly unrealistic, but I like it)

(It's... a skeleton dragon. How is it related to exorcism? It doesn't really stand out as a good choice)

(Uh... it's a Level 2 Tuner, that is Dark. These are... all of its relevant merits. Otherwise... why am I losing a card to weaken a monster when I should be using it to kill it? The last restriction feels dumb, as not only is it plain out unnecessary, but it can also be easily bypassed, making it non-issue padding)

(I think the problems lie on the other end of the spectrum)

> Design: 11/20
(It's a Shrink in monster form, that can only be used in your turn, and in exchange can actually function as a monster. It just can't lead much of anywhere, it will usually just become a Tuner, or have some minor merit as an enabler due to being Dark)

(It's... something somewhat new at least, but that's about it)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 9/15
(See above.)

(Yeah I can't say anything about this card was really appealing to me. It started out with a good picture but it barely clicks together as a whole)

> Total: 60/100
(I feel like this card had a lot of potential, but it was squandered by giving it a lackluster effect)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Komeiji Koishi"]

(Mangled at places, bad structure)

(Lovely, great)

(Small deterrent; looks more fitting for WATER than LIGHT)

> Balancing and Usability: 2/15
(It's... nuts. First effect allows it to max out on the second one's condition with minimal effort, second is Scrap Dragon on steroids, acting as an enabler for Dragonstars while being able to dump multiple cards in a way that nothing can typically resist, and let's not forget the immunities it can be given depending on the materials - furthermore, it's fully generic, meaning this is probably the single strongest Level 6 Synchro that puts Brionac, a banned card, to shame. At the very least the second effect specifices "monster" or I'd pretty much have to start using a negative scale here)

(It's very abusable, and Dragonstars are far from the only deck that can abuse it. Yusei.dek has a new BFF now)

> Design: 12/20
(The design is fairly decent, but missing a few important elements; beside the general nerf, it needed more reliance on Dragonstars to prevent it from being abused by Synchro spam decks. I also don't like that it is once per turn, rather than on summon, with such a powerful effect)

(It's... yeah, a Dragonstar, but a rather original attempt at one, capitalizing on the theme and generally working well with the base concept)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 10/15
(Furthermore it's actually pretty creative mechanics-wise, main problem being how immensely powerful it is. It flows well with the Dragonstar theme and makes the best out of it, unlike other cards here that just tag along for the ride)

(This card... appealed to me, starting from the picture... it was quite frustrating to see it turn out so broken. Giving some points here for being an eye-catcher)

> Total: 54/100
(This was probably one of the most disappointing grades I had to give this contest, due to how appealing I found this card at first)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Loyalist]

> Effect Text Correctness: 4/10
(Doesn't specify summon origin, and mangled effect structure)

(Hm. It's an easy to bring out Level 7, which isn't inherently a bad thing, although I cringe when I think about Dragon Rulers in conjunction with this. The last effect is also fairly acceptable... but the problems begin with the second. Its fairly easy to send a 4k monster to the Graveyard, which can turn this into an absurd beater that can be summoned fairly easily. But at least it requires some effort to make work)

> Abusability: 3/5
(Minus Dragon Rulers getting a new toy, and decks that can combine the feed-the-Graveyard-with-a-4k and Dragons and this, there isn't much of a problem here)

> Design: 15/20
(It's a tad problematic in that it can 'accidentally' do many things - not only is it a respectable monster on its own, but it can also function very well in Dragonstars by recycling their EARTH floater and allowing them to Synchro into things more easily, and at the same time being a LV7 that can work with Dragon Rulers... it's a matter of loading too much in one card)

> Creativity (Theme): 14/15
(This feels a lot like what Genryu are supposed to feel like - powerful spiritual dragons with exotic effects)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 13/15
(I like it a lot, smart summoning condition, a decent way to gain ATK, and generally a well structured card)

> Judge's Grace: 4/5
(Very satisfied with this card)

> Total: 77/100
(Image, name, and effect all mesh well into an impressive package. It just needed to be toned down a little)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=EPTinYugi]

> Effect Text Correctness: 2/10
(Very, very much filled with errors)

> Image Quality and Realism: 4/5

(Well... it's not an awful card. It has a Pendulum scale of 7 which is pretty good and a reasonable condition that can bring it down. Second Pendulum effect doesn't work because this card isn't a monster on the Pendulum Zone but is a half-decent protection with some irrelevant burn. As for its monster effects... it cannot be Normal Summoned, which is somewhat relevant, although you'd usually attempt to Pendulum Summon it. And it gives Pendulum or Pendulum Summoned monster's a boost that can range from 400 to 800 or even more, depending on build. It's not a bad card, but it's rather weak. The real problem is that it doesn't combo with anything currently on the official card base, which is why its score is lower than it would otherwise be)

(Breaks nothing, isn't broken by anything. I like it when that happens)

> Design: 11/20
(Not great design choices here. A Pendulum card that doesn't have any real premise to combo with. Effects are generic and generally lackluster. In the end, decent potential by virtue of being a Pendulum in a deck that likes swarming and can keep hand advantage, but not much else.)

(It's... creative. It's a Pendulum Genryu that can function independently. So I'm giving it that. But creativity is a double-edged sword. You create something new, but what good is it if it doesn't work with anything? So while I'm giving it a perfect score here, I'm deducting the appropriate points from Usability and Design. It's easy to create something 'original', the hard part is also making it usable and balanced)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 8/15
(Frankly unimpressed. Blanket narrow power boosts if monster, protection-by-sacrifice and some burn damage if Pendulum. Overall it feels like a card that relies on 'ooh a Pendulum!' rather than actual effort in terms of functionality)

(Name and picture somehow grew on me)

> Total: 64/100
(Unfortunately, it seemed it was relying on the fact that it was a Pendulum to carry it through, rather than a thought-out skillset)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Zanbaku]

> Effect Text Correctness: 9/10
(First clause seems outdated)

> Balancing and Usability: 7/15
(...eh. In Dragonstars, it's an absurdly easy to summon 2k beatstick that jumps out of the Extra Deck and acts as an enabler for the whole deck, not to mention plays into more Synchro shenanigans. I have a feeling this wasn't thought out well, balance-wise)

> Abusability: 3/5
(Not drastically so, but abusable nonetheless)

(It's a 'free' monster. I call 'free monsters' those monsters that are just built on to capitalize on an engine and have no real 'presence' so to speak. I find that design approach extremely faulty)

> Creativity (Theme): 13/15
(A pretty creative approach, thematically)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 8/15
(But one that does not do well in the gameplay department. Even though it's a Fusion, its summoning conditions are rudimentary in the right deck and from there on it's a pure enabler / beatstick)

(Liking the image and theme, but not much else)

> Total: 67/100
(I can see the intention, but it veered off into a rather unfortunate direction)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Never_this_again]

(Blurgh)

> Image Quality and Realism: 1/5
(Eh. This just isn't the right style and it's a pretty bad picture no matter how you look at it)

(NO. There's just... no real way to express how awfully balanced this card is. It can summon ANY Dragon Synchro, literally anything, just by dumping itself and 1 other Genryu, which is extremely easy to accomplish. No Level requirements, not even caring about number of mats or Attribute and other restrictions, and it even treats the SS as a Synchro. NO.)

(NO.)

(This card takes every definition of good design and throws it out of the window)

> Creativity (Theme): 12/15
(I admit I rather like the concept and theme and how it would work with the effect, if the effect wasn't a broken bag of broken)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 9/15
(Yeah it's kindasorta creative in that it could be an interesting way to Synchro things in a world where balance did not exist as a concept...)

(Kill it with fire)

> Total: 36/100
(Destroyed due to awful balancing. Only redeeming qualities were the thematic part)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Le Reptile]

> Effect Text Correctness: 9/10
(Didn't specify which Genryu monsters are given the immunity)

(Well, it started out pretty good. But the destruction prevention is just broken. Just by being there along with another Genryu it issues immunity to all forms of destruction to all Genryus, including itself. That killed the card, balance-wise, but it can be balanced fairly well with a slight amendment to exclude itself, or make it a OPT deal, so I'm not subtracting too much for that. The real problem is that it can SS its material upon leaving the field, which can then SS a second copy, which can then... you get the point)

> Abusability: 2/5
(Like I mentioned before, blanket destruction immunity is dangerous territory, and the fact that this can bring back its only necessary mat is silly)

> Design: 12/20
(I like how this card attempts to give life to an older popular card... unfortunately the last effect is just a silly and unfair loop)

> Creativity (Theme): 8/15
(I... just don't feel this is what Genryus were meant to be. It's more creative than making another Dragonstar, true, but it's still pretty iffy)

(A good idea to breathe life into an older deck. S/T removal through banishment is also a pretty good concept in this meta)

(Frankly I didn't like this card too much, even though it had its strong points)

> Total: 70/100
(Really needed more thought regarding just how much staying power this gives the field)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=afunworm]

> Balancing and Usability: 14/15
(I... actually don't have much of a complaint here. It's a way for Dragonstars to dump their hand that sometimes clogs annoyingly and recovers some card advantage when used. If anything I'd say a slight buff would be in order. Level 7 feels like the wrong Level for this. But it's still quite good)

> Design: 20/20
(Even though it plays on the Dragonstar concept, this card actually grasps what the deck needs to move forward and delivers it, instead of just giving them more of the same (or absurdly broken things in some cases))

> Creativity (Theme): 13/15
(Again, kudos for playing on the same field that many others tried and failed, and doing it right)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 14/15
(Given what it does and what it's based on, it's quite creative)

(Doing Dragonstar support right; just for that, this earns perfect score here)

> Total: 96/100
(Very few things that needed improvement. A great example of the right direction one needs to go with this kind of card)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=RampageXWolf]

> Balancing and Usability: 10/15
(...erh. A Level 7 that can summon itself without tribute even if your frontrow isn't empty and doesn't suffer an ATK penalty, with a respectable base ATK? Not liking this very much, especially given that the second effect, which is only negated when it's summoned like that (and not, say, SS'd) is very powerful)

(It's... somewhat borderline tbh, still in dangerous area)

> Design: 18/20
(I like the concept of integrating some anti-meta here, even though putting Necrovalley in an OPT monster body feels risky.)

(Very good, stepping outside the expected norm)

(It's pretty original, not never-before-seen original, but pretty original nonetheless)

> Judge's Grace: 4/5
(I am definitely satisfied with this card, it went to an interesting direction and followed through)

> Total: 89/100
(Needed just a touch better balancing)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Feartheghost]

(Old OCG, lack of capitalization)

(Well I actually don't have many complaints here. Genryus don't really abuse Banishing just yet. This has a very hefty summon cost which fully justifies the damage it can deal. If anything I'd say this needs a buff, otherwise it wouldn't be played at all due to consistency reasons, except maybe as a one-off. Still has powerful potential)

> Design: 16/20
(Design-wise, this card does pretty well. But I'm a little iffy because generally the sheer volume of damage this card can deal when it gets out means almost game in many cases. It's pretty balanced due to harsh summoning conditions, but drastic, which isn't generally advisable)

(I'm satisfied with this. Fitting for a 'guard' monster and stats, level, effect, name and picture all blend very well)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 12/15
(It's... an interesting way to use Genryus ability to fill the Graveyard. Also a nice addition of effect damage in a non straight-up burn deck)

> Judge's Grace: 3/5
(Giving points here because I think this card did very well thematically, even if it fell behind playability-wise)

> Total: 83/100
(Personally, flavor-wise, this is one of my favorite cards in the contest, but it did suffer from some basic problems that could be fixed)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Oriannis]

(Mangled capitalization, comma missing)

(Ehr. Too easy. Easier condition than Unknown Synchron, very flexible Level, and enjoys severe Synchro-related support in the deck. It's not broken in the sense that it makes you want to gouge your eyes out, but it's still more powerful than it should be)

(Dragonstars love this cute little thing in many wrong ways)

> Design: 13/20
(I'm not sure how wise it is to give Dragonstars a Tuner that can SS itself easily, even though it's not a Dragonstar itself. It feels like it could lead to many shenanigans, especially with its Level)

(I approve of this in every way thematically. Its SS effect fits the image of a cute little upstart dragon. A pretty smart mesh of things, generally)

> Creativity (Gameplay): 10/15
(Nothing really impressive here, just an easy-mode Tuner for Genryus)

(I really felt the need to max this out because of the picture, and general flavor of this card)

> Total: 77/100
(Probably my favorite picture in the contest. Didn't go the extra mile in any other area, but still a nice touch)
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Summary]
- afunworm: 96/100
- Aqua Hina: 90/100

- RampageXWolf: 89/100
- Feartheghost: 83/100

- Loyalist: 77/100
- Oriannis: 77/100
- Le Reptile: 70/100

- Electric Wizard: 68/100
- Rocket Man: 67/100
- Zanbaku: 67/100
- EPTinYugi: 64/100
- TEM 23: 63/100
- OpticalGalaxyStar: 60/100

- And_Then_There_Were_None: 56/100
- Komeiji Koishi: 54/100
- Akiyuri: 50/100

- Never_this_again: 36/100
- Little Dragon 64: 32/100
- Unari: 26/100
- sharpretina24: 25/100
- josholche: 14/100

Average: 60.19/100
[/spoiler]

My grading was probably more harsh than Sakura's. Overall for this contest I was rather disappointed because many entries were either horribly broken, or incredibly straightforward and lacking any creativity at all.

Looking at the scores, yeah your grading was harder than mine.

Some of them had similar scores; the rest completely differed, but that's to be expected.

Anyway, with summation of all scores; here are your final marks (out of 200). Like the last contest, I'm going to post the screen capture from Excel b/c it's a lot.

ssDqDPc.png

The winners are as follows (I'm doing the awards now as we speak)

1st - afunworm - 186

2nd - Aqua Hina - 185

3rd - RampageXWolf - 182.75

4th - Orlannis - 165.75

I will edit this post with the awards once they have been completed (and reps will be given upon that moment).

Anyway, if you all have any comments about the scores we gave you, I'll leave this open for a couple hours before I self-lock this.

EDIT: Your awards

Q2Y7A8e.png

XBPmflm.png

VtmLJhn.png

kWSseHK.png

(Fourth place award will be reuploaded; a mistake with the final grade noted on award)

Reps will be given shortly.

I just went through some cards and I'm a bit iffy of something, for afunworm's card which Vector gave full score for OCG parts, I just spotted some mistakes, like "During your opponent's turn, when you successfully Synchro Summoned a Synchro Monster" or "3 Genryu-Type monsters from your Graveyard into the Deck." Well some errors maybe negligible, but I don't think some obviously typo like Synchro Summoned or 3 Genryu-Type monsters could survive at least a point deduction

Archived