• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One Show, One theme, 5 versions, 1 reviewer - Let loose the Doge of war; 

[spoiler=S1]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ABR4UpDSU

[spoiler=S2]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6H9VMobE8o

Last ones pretty bad - Both audio quality and actual music wise, but enjoy. 

So I hadn't realized until this past week that Giorgio Moroder had come out with a new album.

After listening through it all a few times, though, my favorite is somehow the one that Britney Spears provides vocals for.

An electronic cover of Suzanne Vega's 1987 hit Tom's Diner.

Doesn't hurt that the music video is hypnotizing.

Ah, I'll have to make a fuller post on it later, but I found Moroder's album really disappointing. I was really looking forward to it as well, but nothing even came close to the shimmering brilliance of the Kylie Minogue collab that preceded the album. The Kylie collab is the best track for me, mostly because she has the best falsetto of the featured vocalists and fits disco like a glove.

Tracks like Wildstar are pretty decent, but Foxes is a bad fit in my opinion. I usually like her stuff, but she sounds super odd over Chic-style guitars and Moroder's chirpy disco. The Britney track is an interesting cover though.

Tracks like Wildstar are pretty decent, but Foxes is a bad fit in my opinion. I usually like her stuff, but she sounds super odd over Chic-style guitars and Moroder's chirpy disco.

The only part of that song that I found odd was the part where she goes "Light up" waaaaay too high. I disagree on the rest :>

As far as the rest of the album goes, I really just tend to skip over every song except Tempted, Tom's Diner, Right Here, Right Now and occassionally Don't Let Go

Her range doesn't hit the 'light up' refrain properly. She sounds really breathy there, when she usually has a really strong tone. Super odd is probably hyperbole, she sounds fine, but there is probably instrumentation in there that I'd cut away. Moroder loves his melodramatic strings way too much. I think toning that down would do real good for the track.

The album feels like it could have been as good as Random Access Memories. It just feels so haphazard though. A good four or five tracks have variants of the Get Lucky guitar riff, but not quite as well produced. Also, the vocoder sections in half the songs. A man like Moroder has no need to be derivative, yet he does. It's an incredibly fun album, and I'd happily stick it on, but it's not as masterful as I expected.

Her range doesn't hit the 'light up' refrain properly. She sounds really breathy there, when she usually has a really strong tone. Super odd is probably hyperbole, she sounds fine, but there is probably instrumentation in there that I'd cut away. Moroder loves his melodramatic strings way too much. I think toning that down would do real good for the track.

The album feels like it could have been as good as Random Access Memories. It just feels so haphazard though. A good four or five tracks have variants of the Get Lucky guitar riff, but not quite as well produced. Also, the vocoder sections in half the songs. A man like Moroder has no need to be derivative, yet he does. It's an incredibly fun album, and I'd happily stick it on, but it's not as masterful as I expected.

so I guess she doesnt fit since she cant hit those notes, but I think she's fine for the rest of the song.

Might be the orchestration, but I do really like how they're used for transition- such as in the middle and end of the first verse.

Vocoder is hit and miss for me. I dont really like it in Tom's Diner, but that may be more because the lyrics felt out of place. Wildstar, specifically, I thought it was a pleasant surprise. I just wish Moroder had worked it into the final chorus- like Get Lucky does- since on it's own it does seem out of place.

I can understand not liking it because of how clearly it seems like they could be better. I like parts of every song, but half of them just feel a little off and unattractive to me. Even some of the ones I like- Tempted especialy- comes off fairly cheesy.

Still waiting for intro tracks to hook me into the songs they proceed as well as the ones on Mylo Xyloto did. When's Coldplay's new album?

I think Foxes has a very specific tone. She's got quite a distinctive delivery, some lower tones come out from her wide-mouthed style of singing, so she fits songs with a bit of gravitas. Hence why most of her songs are atmospheric indie dancey pop things. It was a bit like hearing Lorde on Disclosure's new album. Track was fine, but totally odd hearing, say, Beyoncé on that new Naughty Boy track. The thought of Beyoncé dropping on such a UK-oriented sound is a total oddity to me (great song that, though). That said, I think Wildstar has grown on me. She's a good vocalist and the songg's good enough, so I don't have that many complaints.

Moroder is such a legend. I think he's far past his golden age of production, but I think that's just because he really did just want to have fun with this album. It's undeniably a pretty joyful album. I think I saw a review of it that described it as a granddad gatecrashing a teenage party. He attempts a lot of the latest pop trends: trying some Avicii-style EDM who he's quoted as a recent influence, and riding the Daft Punk wave. Sometimes great (Right Here, Right Now; Deja Vu), sometimes just plain boring (Tempted, Don't Let Go). Nothing wrong with those last two tracks. Actually kinda catchy. Just nothing more.

For some great Moroder, either the Donna Summer classic I Feel Love or his genuinely spectacular remix of Coldplay's Midnight.

Leading on from that nicely is the topic of Coldplay. Firstly, I could write an essay on Mylo Xyloto. Those intros are great, by the way. There's a musical motif that pervades the entire album, by the way. Secondly, on Coldplay's new album, maybe this month? Next month? Imminent anyway. A music video has been shot. A new song has been premiered. It's only a matter of time!

I'm back for another thing that felt weird.

First we got Macklemore and Ryan Lewis's new track, Downtown. Pay attention to the camerawork, general mise-en-scene, and text font at the end.

So immediately once I saw this, I thought that the video itself felt a lot like an 70's musical film. Specifically, the one it kept reminding me of the most was Jesus Christ Superstar.

For example, the zoom in on the one dude with the afro in the apartment building reminded me of the opening and closing moments of "Heaven on Their Minds".

Or maybe it's just that Eric Nelly looks like child-molester-Jesus.

In any case, the video's direction definitely has roots in 70's and 80's cinema, enough that it looks to be trying to get the bland, kind of muted look, and I'd probably point towards black exploit film styles for stuff like the split screens and fonts.

To see all those similarities, you could probably just watch Jacking Brown. It has p much all of that.

Is it just me or does Adele's new single feel at times that if it had a guitar it could be a country song?

Singer-songwriter and country have very similar roots. It's no surprise that the new Adele song sounds a bit country. She's managed to distance herself from that though quite well. Her production leads her to a more soul-oriented sound.

I'm back for another thing that felt weird.

First we got Macklemore and Ryan Lewis's new track, Downtown. Pay attention to the camerawork, general mise-en-scene, and text font at the end.

So immediately once I saw this, I thought that the video itself felt a lot like an 70's musical film. Specifically, the one it kept reminding me of the most was Jesus Christ Superstar.

For example, the zoom in on the one dude with the afro in the apartment building reminded me of the opening and closing moments of "Heaven on Their Minds".

Or maybe it's just that Eric Nelly looks like child-molester-Jesus.

In any case, the video's direction definitely has roots in 70's and 80's cinema, enough that it looks to be trying to get the bland, kind of muted look, and I'd probably point towards black exploit film styles for stuff like the split screens and fonts.

To see all those similarities, you could probably just watch Jacking Brown. It has p much all of that.

I think the nods to 70s and 80s cinema, and the vague blaxploitation B-movie feel is very much intentional. That's Macklemore's aesthetic. The visual gag of the zoom-ins is very 70s as well in execution. I think it's also to compliment the funk feel of Downtown.

Florence + the Machine is my favourite band ever, and this song will always be a masterpiece.

Her voice is stunning, it has a beautiful message and even the live versions of this are pure gold. Also, Florence is extremely beautiful in this video.

There are some great tracks on Ceremonials. It's super overblown, and exhausting to listen to, but Florence has some great pipes, and writes some great songs. Shake It Out is a lovely song. Airy, grand production and an incredibly catchy hook. Even better, the verses and bridge don't feel like filler, they do work up very well to the swelling chorus. As much as I love all the organ and harp in Ceremonials, I'm glad she toned it down for her recent album. Simultaneously though, she adds horns into the mix. I'm surprised she didn't play around with brass instruments earlier, it's very her.

So I mentioned at some point that I spend a sheet ton of time on Soundcloud listening to mashups between pop songs and nerdy sheet, sometimes in awe at how well a song from Metroid works with Black Skinhead.

And sometimes, you hear a song, get reminded of another song, and wonder yourself just why no one has made a mashup of the two. This is how it starts. I wanna lrn2mash.

Who wore it better?

Hellogoodbye - "Here (In Your Arms)"

Julien Lamassonne - "Un Monde Sans Danger/A World Without Danger" (Title Theme of "Code Lyoko")

Tell me I'm not crazy.

Archived