Japan to Start Anti-Anime/Manga Piracy Operation

They really need to start licensing more Mangas for translation, more annoying is when they internationally release half the series, but just haven't gotten the rest of the series. I mean Darker Than Black was released, but not Darker Than Black: Shikkou No Hana which was supposed to be the alternative to the Anime's Second Series. So I've had to follow that and Rozen Maiden's continuation illegally, but I would have brought them legally at heart beat. (I've pre-ordered up till next March for Pokemon Adventures, Pokemon Adventures: Black and White, Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds). That or the releases are so slow. Not too impressed Bones and Peach-pit because of that. Viz I'm half and half. They're good on Pokemon bad on YGO.

Good luck with KAT and Pirate Bay if that is the list. I do see my old source for raw anime on there which is sad, but I don't download anime anymore.

Sakura if you don't mind buying online (with free P&P) Book Depository is great source. Constantly below RRP.

http://manga-anime-here.com/

Here's the site they're setting up. Looks like the idea is to have a database that will direct people to sites they can read the manga/watch the anime legally at. Can't seem to figure out how to access the anime side of all this, but manga is leading to Viz Media, Crunchyroll, Weekly Shonen Jump, and Random House, the latter of which I'm unfamiliar with.

Actually, I'm unfamiliar with how all of them deal with manga (besides Weekly Shonen Jump), do any of these have a way to read manga for free? And what's their rate of updating?

Still a lot of things I think can be done better, obviously, but this could be a good start.

Tokyo Ghoul and Black Butler are on Hulu, albeit everything will be a week late. If you want it on time, legally, you'll need to subscribe to Funimation.

Random House, to my knowledge, is just a publishing company, so them having the rights to various manga isn't that shocking. 

Crunchy Roll's manga is readable by free users, but only the most recent chapter. I assume when the next one comes out the current one becomes locked to the services subscribers. The chapters themsleves are the most recent Japanese ones. For example Fairy Tail 394 is currently readable for free over there.

For WSJ I listed the series they carry and they also update when the issue comes out in Japan.

VIZ likely just puts out the volumes, but I don't think they have the best record with doing that based on how far behind a bunch of manga are (Nisekoi and Toriko are the first two I saw that jump out at me).

TBH, I only watch three anime series (though they're ones that are still popular; mostly Pokemon XY [and any back episodes I missed over the years] and Arc-V/5Ds, but Naruto Shippuden is on the list in the event I am bored). Manga-wise, a lot of the sites I use are listed (Mangapanda, Mangafox, etc) so that spells trouble there; even if I'm only reading Pokemon Adventures and Naruto lately; former still hasn't released Emerald in English yet.

Granted though, I'd try to buy the graphic novels and/or DVDs when they come out, but sometimes the bookstore doesn't carry the novels or the price of a DVD set is a killer (about $45-50+).

As for AMVs, since lots of people use them, not sure what'll happen. They're pretty much gestures of appreciation for the series/its creators; though Japan may think otherwise and assume they want to claim it as theirs; even though disclaimers ARE in most of them (either in the video themselves or in the description). 

@Dark-Scar: You can try Gogoanime for Arc-V things; I usually go there to watch stuff. I believe British Soul does post a link to the raw episodes when they're out though in official thread.

When you say Pokemon Adventure hasn't released Emerald in English yet, I'm assume your talking about the official release. Cause, if so, wow they are SUPER far behind. Manga Stream is a good source for recent chapters. Though I think the reason they are being ignored is because of the limited amount of series they carry and the fact that they only keep 2/3 chapters before clearing them.

Based on what Linkara has said about his HOPR's videos, Japanese companies are REALLY tight with people using their stuff. He has the ok from Saban to make his series, but when he tried to post the videos on youtube they got flagged.

Just to see who's in agreement on this issue:

It's okay to be disappointed that a way you have to watch anime/read manga which you couldn't otherwise access will go away, but it's not like it's our RIGHT to view the anime/manga illegally, and it's understandable why they would do this.

And because of that fact, we'll just have to bear it. However, in return, what we as consumers should push for is more consumer friendly policies and availability. If anything good comes of this, it will be that more and more anime get put on viewable sites like Crunchyroll, Hulu, etc. where they can be viewed for free, albeit with commercials (which I do hope most of us will deal with rather than see that as far too much of a hassle). That manga somehow finds a similar route, as the current availabilities spread the consumer's dollar too much to viably allow readers to get into all the manga they would otherwise read. And above all else, at least for me, make the dvd's and blu-ray's cheaper. I would rather not spend $100 on 25 episodes. Get into the $60 range, then we'll talk. I'm a gamer, I'm used to that pricing.

No, I can fully agree with this. Its frustrating that I might be losing my manga, but I certainly know they are 100% in their legal right. A nice plus is that manga is becoming easier and easier to get digitally in the U.S. its just I'd rather buy the hard copy and not the digital. It might cost twice the amount but I do see it as being worth it. Crunchyroll's free manga does have an ad play before you can start reading.

They really need to start licensing more Mangas for translation, more annoying is when they internationally release half the series, but just haven't gotten the rest of the series. I mean Darker Than Black was released, but not Darker Than Black: Shikkou No Hana which was supposed to be the alternative to the Anime's Second Series. So I've had to follow that and Rozen Maiden's continuation illegally, but I would have brought them legally at heart beat. (I've pre-ordered up till next March for Pokemon Adventures, Pokemon Adventures: Black and White, Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds). That or the releases are so slow. Not too impressed Bones and Peach-pit because of that. Viz I'm half and half. They're good on Pokemon bad on YGO.

Good luck with KAT and Pirate Bay if that is the list. I do see my old source for raw anime on there which is sad, but I don't download anime anymore.

Sakura if you don't mind buying online (with free P&P) Book Depository is great source. Constantly below RRP.

Thats the other problem with the manga. The actual release tends to be slower for their volumes. I know I said this about Toriko and Nisekoi's volumes which is really strange since they have the chapters translated already for WSJ. My best guess for this is the fact that more people watch anime than read manga so they haven't had the push to do for it what they've done with anime. Also on that note, people in general wouldn't want to wait for the volumes to come out and would rather read the story as it happens. Crunchyrolls current model is nice for that, but the limit of the most recent chapter hurts the ability to pick up new series.  I wonder why they can carry up to ep 325 of One Piece for anyone to watch, but can't do the same for the manga they offer.

@Dark-Scar: You can try Gogoanime for Arc-V things; I usually go there to watch stuff. I believe British Soul does post a link to the raw episodes when they're out though in official thread.

And the site I post the link from (anime4fun) isn't on the targeted list that Flame Dragon posted, at least I don't think it is.

@Flame: Yeah, I'm referring to the official release. Last time I checked, they've only released Ruby/Sapphire vol 21 in English a couple months ago [so yeah, they're pretty far behind]. Same with Diamond/Pearl Platinum and the Black/White ones. Granted, some of the manga sites do have the series, but a few chapters are missing at times. I should read them before sites get affected and shut them down.

Haven't seen any sites that've scanned the 5Ds manga (or even the ZEXAL one); those have an year-long lapse between volume releases in the states.

Pokemon Adventures is on every other month release with the mini BW volumes. Emerald should start Jan. DPPt concluded in May. As the Diamond and Pearl series itself I have no idea.

I admit I did read most of Pokemon Adventures online because of the time taken for it to release. Then again they never did Scanlate the final chapter or so of HGSS which is now out.

After the downfall of Janime, the team that used to do the scans does do a bit of work, but not as much as they previously did.

@Flame: Yeah, I'm referring to the official release. Last time I checked, they've only released Ruby/Sapphire vol 21 in English a couple months ago [so yeah, they're pretty far behind]. Same with Diamond/Pearl Platinum and the Black/White ones. Granted, some of the manga sites do have the series, but a few chapters are missing at times. I should read them before sites get affected and shut them down.

Haven't seen any sites that've scanned the 5Ds manga (or even the ZEXAL one); those have an year-long lapse between volume releases in the states.

I know Mangahere has up until chapter 488 (a bit into BW). If you want to read adventures I'd go there.

Also, with this happening I went to find my records on what manga I've read/am reading and it would seem that the paper I wrote it on was thrown out. Sigh.........at least I think I've been able to remember them all.

My problem is that I literally only watch Arc-V as far as anime goes, and I don't read any manga, is this gonna hurt me being able to find subs for Arc-V? :'/

I don't have the best knowledge over animoo and magma laws, so just curious if this will destroy all the Arc-V subs, cause that's literally all I care about. I am not gonna watch a dub again.

My problem is that I literally only watch Arc-V as far as anime goes, and I don't read any manga, is this gonna hurt me being able to find subs for Arc-V? :'/

The site that is linked/posted in the Arc V thread isn't on that list on page 1 to my knowledge (or the list isn't final or something) and the subs appear on there a couple of days after the raw so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Note that there are a s*** ton of sites that don't do things themselves but take a stream from a different site, so even if your's isn't on the list, it could still be liable to getting hit in a roundabout manner.

That is true, and I believe we've all come across at least one of those sites.

As an example: One of the animes I watch is Cardfight Vanguard and yes, I am fully aware that it is on Crunchyroll and that the service available in the UK (albeit non-subbed to my knowledge), and I will put my hand up and say that I really shouldn't be watching it on sites like YT each week even though I support Bushiroad by buying CFV cards.

Polite is def. better than aggressive, aggressive just makes a proxy.

Pokemon was terrible for ages, but they're quickly catching up. The problem I had was every release had a revised date which was 1 -2 months later, but still came out on the same day.

LGFR is over 7 years behind

Emerald is just over 7 years behind (and will be 8 years behind by last release next July)

DPPt - HGSS all concluded. DPPt May 2014  and HGSS Oct 2013

BW is 9+ months behind France (Mini Volume 17 (or Half of French Full Volume 8 ) is out next week) and 6+ behind Japan

BW2 still has no volume release.

XY had first volume release in April in Japan

I end saving the scanlations to my computer incase this sort of thing happens.

Archived