[Finished]Contest - Dragon Form [Results posted]

Darj

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updated the OP.

@Excalibur: 1 of the requirements is that the card must be a Synchro or Xyz monster.

qgqpngE.jpg

1 Tuner + "Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning"
When this card is Synchro Summoned: Banish up to 2 face-up monsters on the field; this card gains 200 ATK and DEF for each monster banished this way.
 Once per turn, you can activate 1 of these effects.
● Target 1 Spell/Trap card on the field; banish that target face-down. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.
● During the Damage Step, if this attacking card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: Banish that monster instead of sending it to the Graveyard, and this card gains 500 ATK until your opponent's next End Phase.

This better? Hope I wasn't too late

Yes, I am. It's just that there are so many entries, and to be honest I have been lazy with the scores; but fear not, I will get this done. It's not like I want to blatantly keep those 5k points.

@Exalibur: Don't worry, I will take your updated card.

Just keep in mind that offline matters (i.e. family business, work, school/university, etc.) take precedence over things here. So no, grading custom cards isn't a priority for anyone, and saying that it's so makes you come off as naive.

I know you want Voltex to be done with the scores quickly, but sometimes schedules do not accommodate for much time to do it ASAP; especially when it's nearing time for final exams. 

Be patient and wait.

@Fokemaster: I will try to have them by Saturday (or rather today, because it is already Saturday over here) but I won't promise anything.

@Sakura: Thanks. And I believe Fokemaster was being sarcastic with his/her last comment, which I found actually funny.

Finished with the scores. I will wait for 2~3 days before giving the points in case there are any questions in the grades, or if someone spots a mistake I may have made.

Current standings:

1st. Nobility: 48 points

2nd Nai: 46 points

3rd. DivineDragonKnight: 44 points

[spoiler=]Black Luster Dragon - Envoy of Eclipse
Balance/Design: 3 - The LIGHT detach effects can be crazy with enough LIGHT/DARK fuel in the grave, but this card's greatest flaw is its summoning requirements: 4~5 Level 8s, let alone LIGHT/DARKs, are way too difficult to set up.
Creativity/Flavor: 13  - Personally, it doesn't feel too creative. It simply has improved versions of the effects of both BLS and Chaos Emperor
OCG: 7 - Grammatical mistakes, incorrect OCG punctuaction
Theme: 3 - With the LIGHT effect it feels more like a fusion of BLS + Chaos Emperor than an upgraded form of BLS
Total: 26

Phoenix Gearfried the Eternal Dragon Knight
Balance/Design: 11 - On one hand, I think it does a bit too much with 4 different effects, plus the revival effect can be a bit problematic because you could pull combos such as detaching Phoenix Gearfried and revive it for a beater whose effect is instantly activated. On the other hand, both of its summoning requirements are impractical, which more or less balances the card. But still, I would have preferred a 2-material monster with less or weaker effects.
Creativity/Flavor 20 - The flavor is strong on this one: The Xyz-Evolution Summon over its warrior form, the ATK boost as a reference to Phoenix Blade, the Spell/Trap negation effect requiring an Equip Spell; I'm glad you took the tip of using an alternate summoning condition for more flavor.
OCG: 10
Theme: 5
Total: 46

Axe Head Raid Dragon
Balance/Design: 8 - The monster is weak for a Synchro8 in my opinion. First, I would say this card is outclassed by both Scrap Dragon and Hot Red Dragon Archfiend, who not only have more ATK, but also don't need to wait to be attacked to use their effects and thus are faster. Then, even if it wasn't outclassed, I doubt the opponent would voluntarily attack this thing while you control other monsters to have its own monster destroyed. So, in essence the effect is pointless since it relies entirely on the opponent.
Creativity/Flavor: 17  - I find interesting how you "translated" Axe Raider's flavor text into an effect, although you stretched it a bit with the "evade an destroy" part. But still, it deserves some points in creativity in my opinion.
OCG: 9 - OCG punctuaction mistake, and you can further simply the effect by using "another" instead of the "(except this card)" PSCT.
Total: 39

Armageddon Dragon
Balance/Design: 8 - At first glance I thought this card was a bit overpowered. An OPT mill can do crazy stuff in decks such as Shaddolls and BA; then with the 2nd effect and a decent 2400 ATK, actually above the average 2-material Rank4, it can potentially generate additional advantage. However, to be fair it's not like said decks can easily Summon this, since BAs don't run Level4 DARKs in the first place, and Shaddolls are not consistent at Xyz Summoning and they would need to rely on Level4 DARK techs such as Collapserpent. So, I'm at the fence on this one.
Creativity/Flavor: 20 - Same milling effect as Armageddon Knight, +1000 ATK/DEF, plus an additional effect to further make the card useful.
OCG: 9 - "that did not being sent there this turn to your hand" doesn't make much sense, but I get that it meant a card that was not sent to the grave that turn.
Total: 42

Satellarknight Draccus
Balance/Design: 5 - Although the card creator attempted to justify that 5 tellarknights weren't difficult to set up, the truth is that it actually is difficult to Summon. If your card needs 2 turns of setup AND all of the tellarknight materials successfully surviving those turns, then it is impractical. Finally, as expected from a "awesome but impractical" monster, it is loaded with effects, which is not a healthy way of balancing a card.
Creativity/Flavor: 13 - Apparently it gets effects from both Delteros and Triveil, but my question here is, why? Improved effects of Delteros is understandable, but Triveil?
OCG: 9 - The second continuous effect can be simplfied as "also this card cannot be targeted by card effects" and included in the first effect.
Total: 31

Black Luster Dragon - Envoy of the Risen
Balance/Design: 8 - Basically a BLS in Synchro form. Not sure on this one. It is basically a Trishula but with more specific materials, higher stats and can do more damage over time. Although both of its OPT effects come with fair restrictions in my opinion.
Creativity/Flavor: 5 - Its OPT effects are the same as BLS. "Envoy of the Risen" doesn't make much sense when BLS is the envoy of "the Beginning".
Total: 28

Noble Dragon Gawayn
Balance/Design: 13 - I really don't see anything too wrong with this. It is simple but effective, and the pseudo Spell-Speed 4 is a nice perk.
Creativity/Flavor: 20 - As explained in the post, it mirrors Gawayn. It has +500 ATK; is that a reference reference to a Noble Arms Caliburn? If so, I think it would have been neat if it had an effect that further referenced said sword. Any particular reason for choosing Gawayn over the rest of the Noble Knights for turning it into a Dragon?
Total: 48

Buster Dragon
Balance/Design: 3 - Card is too weak. First, it is difficult to Summon because it requires Buster Blader especifically as material. Then, it is nothing more than a beater who requires set-up to hit a threatening ATK.
Creativity/Flavor: 7 - The card feels bland. It only has 1 effect, which is a variant of Buster Blader's effect. I don't know, at least you could have given it another effect that made it actually worth of being played. Even the name feels boring.
Total: 25

Legendary Six Samurai - Shi on
Balance/Design: 3 - Not really a fan of this card. Dragons and Six Sams don't mix well, and negating monster effects is more of a "you can't play Yugioh" effects, which are not exactly broken but certainly annoying and nhealthy for the game. Also 2900 ATK is really high for a Synchro6 (Goyo is not an argument in favor to this card).
Creativity/Flavor: 10 - Shi-En negates Spell/Traps, and this negates monsters. I can see that you were going for a full lock by controlling both, but the effects are virtually opposites, which doesn't help with this card's flavor.
Total: 28

Gilford the Thunder Dragon
Balance/Design: 5 - Basically a Rank8 beater with a single-use nuke that requires both Gilford the Lightning AND an Equip Spell. The effect is just too impractical, and if you want this for its high ATK, you might as well use Felgrand Knight instead.
Creativity/Flavor: 17 - The card may be impractical, but is still flavorful by relating both Gilfords.
Total: 37

Buster Blade Dragon
Balance/Design: 7 - A Dragon-hate Synchro. Not exactly bad but I'm not really a fan of these kind of card because ther nature of hard-countering certain decks but being useless against the rest. At least this has a really good ATK and can further power itself up, which can turn it into a threatening beater regarless of the deck it is facing.
Creativity/Flavor: 20 - Creativity is strong. Buster Blader evolves into a Dragon that continues to beat dragons. It's amusing and ironic in a way.
OCG: 8 - Some OCG mistakes here and there.
Total: 40

Legendary Orca Dragon
Balance/Design: 9 - Decks that run Umi/Legendary Ocean usually can't make Rank5s that require WATERs, and vice-versa. Yes, you could tech Umi/Legendary Ocean on Shark Decks for the sake of this card, but doing so could compromise the deck's consistency. Card is not bad, but not good either.
Creativity/Flavor: 17 - The effect is a reference to Legendary Fisherman, and it also has an effect similar to Levia-Dragon Deaedalus. Kinda cool in my opinion.
OCG: 8
Total: 39

Ehren, the Wyrm-Lightsworn
Balance/Design: 8 - I think this is outclassed by the other LS Synchro, Michael: While this card needs to attack a monster in DEF mode to apply its effects, Michael can simply banish it. In addition, although it is slower, Michael can also recycle LIGHTs into the deck. Yes, this recycles on-Summon, but, if I understood the effect correctly, more otfen than not you will only recycle 1 monster as you rarely will invest mroe than 1 non-Tuner on this. I was about to add that this card has the perk of being generic, but when its first effect requires LIGHT non-Tuners, then you might as well go for Michael instead. Still, card is not bad, just outclassed.
Creativity/Flavor: 17 - It has effect that counters monster in DEF Position, just like its original form. Picking Ehren when there are other Warrior LS feels a bit random, but doesn't make it less flavorful.
Total: 40

Neo-Space Dragon
Balance/Design: 3 - Similar case to the Six Samurai Dragon, Neos and Dragons don't really mix well unless you tech some Dragon Tuners. But even then, you would need to run E-HEROes besides Neos to take advantage of its first effect, which make the card even more impractical. The on-Summon effect feel subpar when it is temporary, requires you to control other Warriors to apply it, and doesn't protect itself.
Creativity/Flavor: 7 - Yes, it's an evolution of Neos but it doesn't have any effect that ties it with him, Neo Space or the Neo Spacians. It might as well be the evolved form of any other E-HERO.
OCG: 9
Total: 34

Crimson-Eyes Blade Dragon
Balance/Design: 11 - It soft-locks the opponent's Extra Deck but he/she can still perform the Summons at a heavy cost, but this card wont help you against stablished field. It also has 100 more base ATK than Leo, which more or less gives it a niche as a generic Synchro10 beater. The reamining effect is cute but by requiring Blader it is impractical.
Creativity/Flavor: 18 - Flavor is fine. Basically a different take on Crimson Blader that doesn't outclasses it.
Total: 44

Dragon HERO Neos
Balance/Design: 3 - That generic Instant Fusion effect is too much in my opinion. I mean, instead of contact Fusion as usual, now you can go for this and pick any Contact Fusion Neos of your liking; or worse, abuse Fusion Monsters that are usually not played because of their harsh summoning conditions, namely Exterio and I don't know what else would be available.
Creativity/Flavor: 15 - Must admit that merging Neos with Dragon Rulers is creative. Not much else to add, since the non-LIGHT and DARK effects are based on said Rulers.
Theme: 4 - The effect and card description implies Neos fuses with the Dragon Rulers, so it is not exactly an evolved form of Neos, but rather a fusion.
Total: 32

Elemental DRAGON Neos
Balance/Design: 1 - Just no. Basically evolves and Normal HERO into a 2800-ATK beatstick AND sets Miracle Fusion up for another easy beater provided you have enough HEROes in the grave.
Creativity/Flavor: 7 - Same argument as with "Neo-Space Dragon".
OCG: 9
Total: 22

Armored Dragon - Mizuho
Balance/Design: 7 - Its effect is a +2 (card destruction: +1; monster summon: +1) and the destruction is a cost so it will bypass effects that protect from destruction. The card feels a bit abusive. The ATK boost effect is more of icing on the cake that turns this into a decent 2500 ATK beatstick.
Creativity/Flavor: 13 - Has an effect that destroys a card on the field but thats about it.
OCG: 8 - OCG is a bit off, and you use a couple of words that are outdated, such as "select".
Total: 33

Black Luster Dragon - Envoy of the Apocalypse
Balance/Design: 3 - Another Synchro that is impractical because of its Synchro materials. Actually, this feels more of an overkill. Just think about it: Drop BLS, banish something with its effect, then you drop a Level 1 Tuner, make this, banish 2 more cards and you get to attack with a 3200 ATK beatstick. Yeah, this is one of those "awesome but impractical" cards that reward you way too much when it works. Hell, you could even tech Glow-up Buld and/or E-Tele + Re-Covers for easier Level 1 Tuners.
Creativity/Flavor: 13  - BLS effects with noticeable twists. Guess that's worth some points. Similar case to "Envoy of Eclipse".
Total: 31[/spoiler]

Sure.

OCG fix:

This card gains 600 ATK and DEF for each Dragon-Type monster in your[acronym=could have meant both graves](?)[/acronym] Graveyard. Cannot be destroyed by battle with a Dragon-Type monster. Once per turn: You can banish 1 Dragon-Type monster from your Graveyard; 1 monster your opponent controls becomes Dragon-Type. If "Buster Blader" was used for the Synchro Summon of this card, the effects of all Dragon-Type monsters yout opponent controls are negated.

the OPT effect has an unusual wording because it doesn't target. But if it did, it would be:

Once per turn: You can banish 1 Dragon-Type monster from your Graveyard, then target 1 monster you opponent controls; it becomes Dragon-Type.

Hmmm.... a 3d, not bad, for my first contest, I suppose. Although, I could've done A LOT better, it seems.

For future reference, could you please be a little more specific about how I can fix my OCG? And perhaps maybe a suggestion on how I could fix the effect, so it isn't leaning towards being OP anymore?

For future reference, could you please be a little more specific about how I can fix my OCG? And perhaps maybe a suggestion on how I could fix the effect, so it isn't leaning towards being OP anymore?

OCG fix:

Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and destroy 1 card on the field; you may Special Summon 1 "Six Samurai" monster from your Graveyard. This card gains 300 ATK each time a "Six Samurai" monster is Special Summoned.

As for suggestions, you could begin by turning the destruction "effect" into an actual effect instead of a cost; also target the Six Sam you want to revive first to make it slightly more fair. However, a "pop a card and revive a Six Sam" is still a +2, so I suggest to split the effect into 2, and 1 of them could be either an "on summon" effect or a floating effect (when this card is destroyed/removed from the field/sent to the Graveyard/etc.).

But even then, an issue with this card is that the "Special Summon" effect can be problematic because it can revive materials for a second copy of itself, which can lead to overextending and putting more damage on the board for OTKs, which can be quite distasteful. For instance, you could:

[spoiler=]drop 2 Kizans

make this

pop a card and revive a Kizan

drop a 3rd Kizan

Make a 2nd copy of this

pop yet another card an revive a Kizan

Result:

2 card pops

3100 ATK Mizuho: 2200 + 900 from the 3 Special Summoned Kizans

2500 ATK Mizuho: +300 from Special Summoned Kizan

1800 ATK Kizan

Total damage if attacking directly: 7400

And all from 3 copies of Kizan.

[/spoiler]

In this case, I advice against OPT "Special Summon" effects because of the above, but if you want to keep it, at least add a hard OPT clause on it: You can only use this effect of "Armored Dragon - Mizuho" once per turn.

Current standings:

1st. Nobility: 48 points

2nd Nai: 46 points

3rd. DivineDragonKnight: 44 points

Noble Dragon Gawayn
Balance/Design: 13 - I really don't see anything too wrong with this. It is simple but effective, and the pseudo Spell-Speed 4 is a nice perk.
Creativity/Flavor: 20 - As explained in the post, it mirrors Gawayn. It has +500 ATK; is that a reference reference to a Noble Arms Caliburn? If so, I think it would have been neat if it had an effect that further referenced said sword. Any particular reason for choosing Gawayn over the rest of the Noble Knights for turning it into a Dragon?
Total: 48

In all honesty, I was not expecting to win this, but I am delighted! 

As for the reason I chose Gawayn because he is my favorite knight to read about in the legends, especially in Gawayn and the Green Knight. Not only that, but because I wanted something to be more generic and useful while still keeping the flavor, I decided Gawayn would be the most sensible one to turn into a dragon. Also, the 500 ATK gain is a reference to Caliburn. Since Artorigus took Caliburn, he became the king. I found it fitting that, as his right-hand man, Gawayn would become a dragon (a buffed protector) to serve the king.

It is also intriguing, because I created a Dragon-Type Xyz of White Duston, then I read the post correctly. :P

Archived