[Card Discussion] Trap Engineer Vivyzian

-Noel-

zkaiJom.jpg

2 Level 4 monsters

This card is unaffected by your opponent's Trap Cards. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls; destroy that target, and if you do, if it was a Trap Card with the same name as one in your Graveyard, banish it instead of sending it to the Graveyard, then you can Set 1 card with that name from your Graveyard.

Just heard someone say this is broken cuz Trap immunity on that (imo, "just") 2.1k body of R4 and that it completely shut down opponent's play after they invested and such (imo; really? just a single-type immunity?), so what do you DPer think about this card?

I ran this myself, seeing as how my Deck loses HARD to Mirror Force and the liking. However, I unfortunately rarely ever go into it. It's nice to be unaffected by Traps, and the pop is nice, but other than that it just is a beatstick, like a lot of cards in the DP format rn. It's good, but not broken at all

I have always found this card balanced but a couple of players think otherwise. Anyways I have agreed to nerfing the Trap immunity effect to "cannot be targeted by Traps", so at least it will be countered by TT, BTH, Mirror Force, etc.

I have always found this card balanced but a couple of players think otherwise. Anyways I have agreed to nerfing the Trap immunity effect to "cannot be targeted by Traps", so at least it will be countered by TT, BTH, Mirror Force, etc.

It's not really necessary though imo. Tbh that was actually one of the few reasons I still run it. If I did get Mirror Force'd or well timed a Torrential, I would at least have 1 monster left on the field, and not just have zero comeback.

I see. So while a couple of players think it is too good, others think it is fine. To be honest all of this this confuses me. Now I'm thinking in making a poll or something. Personally, I don't want to nerf it.

And yes, the last effect is overkill and designed to be situational as hell, because it is more of a flavorful effect.

2100 is middlish for 2-mat R4, it can still be killed by every other kind of effects (and really, chances are you will kill this by a monster), the MST effect is pretty good, yeah.

There's several other 2 mats around in DP that should get more attention for nerfs other than this. But well, to be fair a bit, it's an easy out to many trap-heavy strategies, but aside from things like Chain Burn or something similar, those can still summon something to beat this over.

Probably best if you made a Poll about whether to nerf it or not, and see how the rest of the members here feel about it. 

Personally, having a 2100 ATK monster that can avoid being hit by BTS/BTH, Mirror Force and other things is nice (as already noted).

Detach effect is gimmicky though, and depends if your opponent has the same cards you do in certain cases; staples are most likely. 

In any case, it's basically a Trap-immune MST on a 2100 body. It's powerful, yes, but shouldn't be too much of a problem.

2100 ATK can still be run over by other common R4s and stuff; along with other removal. 

I would make Sword Mistress of Phantasm over this card most days of the week. It's a fine card, I'd think, although the relative dearth of flexible defensive Traps makes it quite a bit worse than it would be with an OCG banlist. Situationally good and not at all oppressive, although I think it /does/ counter Skill Drain (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

although I think it /does/ counter Skill Drain (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

It's kinda like the Tenkabito Shien some random person in Tagforce 1 used. If they flip Skill Drain before Vivy hits the field, Vivy gets affected. If they flip it after, Vivy won't give a damn. Unless they've changed it since then, but I don't think they have.

OT: If anything is "OP" with this card, it would definitely be the free recovery instead of the Trap immunity. But, of course, you can hardly tell what you're going to hit until it's dead, so this becomes either a hit or miss card. It's nice to have a Rank 4 that hits facedown backrow while not killing itself like Diawolf does though.

It's kinda like the Tenkabito Shien some random person in Tagforce 1 used. If they flip Skill Drain before Vivy hits the field, Vivy gets affected. If they flip it after, Vivy won't give a damn. Unless they've changed it since then, but I don't think they have.

I think they haven't. That ruling applies on Apoqliph Killer/Tower too, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, no, I was thinking of another kind of effect ("This card's effects cannot be negated.") although I'm not sure if that kind of effect works under Drain either ... if it doesn't, that brings an entire archetype I made into question. Kind of.

I think they haven't. That ruling applies on Apoqliph Killer/Tower too, if I remember correctly.

It indeed does! More of a reason why people don't use it

Yeah, no, I was thinking of another kind of effect ("This card's effects cannot be negated.") although I'm not sure if that kind of effect works under Drain either ... if it doesn't, that brings an entire archetype I made into question. Kind of.

I think that would work then. However, we've never had a monster on the field that applied such effects, so rulings would have to be determined then

Archived